NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

I don't think any of the exclusive launch games for either format looked very good. That's why I didn't buy any :p. They're usually just filler content to give early adopters something to play, though, the kind of titles you'd expect to see selling for peanuts and completely overlooked within a year. Sadly the Mario 64 days are no more.

To be honest, I'm sure you'll get a lot of fun out of it either way. Most games come to both consoles anyway. If you enjoy the games out right now then that's good reason to get one. Maybe in the future you'll snag a PS4 too.

Edited by Sheikah

Haha I haven't looked into that yet. I just saw one review score (think it was IGN) and it wasn't a great score (not that that would affect my opinion at all, it's IGN after all :heh: ) but I will scout it out!

Guessing it's good then?!

And re the previous gen first party efforts, I always felt the opposite. My PS3 became my blu ray player and I got most of my gaming out of my 360. Different strokes for different folks. (Always found that saying a bit odd :laughing: )

Read the reviews rather than the score, they all pretty much say the same thing. The Alien is a difficult beast and will hunt you down, making it quite challenging on the hard difficulty setting. I think another criticism was that it's quite a long game. So far, I'm loving it and I'm roughly halfway through. :D

I'd get it. I have no idea what the XBone version is like in comparison to the PS4 or PC version, but I can't imagine that there will be that much of a difference, and if it is you'll never notice because it'll be superficial. Do eeet.

To be honest, I think NOW the one does have a better lineup. Dead rising, killer instinct, forza, titanfall sunset etc seem way better than the ps4 exclusives, which I think have been beyond average.

However, I have no doubt in the long run the ps4 will have for better games, and to be honest it's a bit of a fifa machine and I know more people with them. All three consoles will have great games, can't go too wrong.

@Aneres11, if you don't get Alien Isolation, I will disown you and eat all of your household biscuits whilst you are not looking. I mean it.

u w0t m10-2?

Drive Club isn't shitty at all. There's still areas for improvement, but the patches/updates are coming and the game will be even better than it is when the year is out. The driving is tight and very satisfying. Once the dynamic weather is added the game is going to be even more hnnnnnggggg.

Meh doesn't look good at all to me...give me Forza any day of the week.

You guys buying X1's - I take it you're not a huge fan of Japanese games? :p

Honestly though, a quick look at the PS3 vs 360 exclusives last gen and the former decimated it. Especially in the last few years...kinda felt like Microsoft just gave up. Very little of interest to me on the X1, and I have no reason to believe it'll be much different. The only thing it will have that I want is Tomb Raider, which isn't even really an exclusive unlike Uncharted.

This is true but I spent early parts of my time owning a PS3 wanting a bunch of 360 exclusives (some of which later appeared on PS3). I think the Xbox One has been best out of the gate in terms of exclusives but yes the PS4 will the one to own of the generation much like the PS3 was. It was more powerful and did have the better exclusives in the long run.

To be honest, I think NOW the one does have a better lineup. Dead rising, killer instinct, forza, titanfall sunset etc seem way better than the ps4 exclusives, which I think have been beyond average.

Yep as I've said before once there is a finally an exclusive I care about I'll consider a PS4.

I hope so too! But I'll be sure to let you know anyway. I'll probably be asking you loads of annoying questions! How do I do this?! Where do I find that?! Etc :heh:

Deliver is just 'expected 31st October'. It may come before but I expect it on the Friday of release. I literally cannot wait to get my paws on Sunset Overdrive. Looks amazing. Reminds me of Jet Set Radio and a shooter all in one. Or a colourful InFamous! :)

I may well get it in time to download that game, hopefully!

I'll definitely add you once I've got it. I'm looking forward to building my gamer score again ! It wasn't high before anyway, but I did enjoy an achievement haul every now and again!

You looking at picking Sunset Overdrive up Kaepora?

Oh gee thanks! I'm hoping there won't be any!

haha you ask away, I'm sure me and the other One chaps will be more than happy to help! :)

It's funny actually although I obviously know about it, Sunset has kind of been off my radar really. I don't think I'll pick it up on launch unless reviews are unreal, but I'll def go for it a bit further down the line. I was reading today they may patch in a co-op mode, in which case count me interested!!

Really do hope you enjoy it though, as many others have said most games are coming to both so you'll be getting a great selection of games, plus some cracking exclusives! And as I said before because they are behind they are updating constantly and throwing money at it, like the Tomb Raider example; as much as its pissed plenty of people off, being a One owner means you'll play it first. It may never outsell the PS4, but I feel like MS will keep providing us with plenty of reasons to never regret getting the One :)

(Plus yours is white...)

I don't think any of the exclusive launch games for either format looked very good. That's why I didn't buy any :p. They're usually just filler content to give early adopters something to play, though, the kind of titles you'd expect to see selling for peanuts and completely overlooked within a year. Sadly the Mario 64 days are no more.

To be honest, I'm sure you'll get a lot of fun out of it either way. Most games come to both consoles anyway. If you enjoy the games out right now then that's good reason to get one. Maybe in the future you'll snag a PS4 too.

Yeah I agree. Although I personally found the ps4 launch line up to be slightly better but that's only because I Really really liked the look of Knack. I know it got slated a bit, but that only seemed to be because it didn't reinvent the wheel and was standard kinda stuff. But I thought it looked like a great compliment to something like KillZone which is always a solid experience.

Still, I will definitely be picking a ps4 up too at some point. But the One should tide me over til I feel like I need to have one.

Read the reviews rather than the score, they all pretty much say the same thing. The Alien is a difficult beast and will hunt you down, making it quite challenging on the hard difficulty setting. I think another criticism was that it's quite a long game. So far, I'm loving it and I'm roughly halfway through. :D

I'd get it. I have no idea what the XBone version is like in comparison to the PS4 or PC version, but I can't imagine that there will be that much of a difference, and if it is you'll never notice because it'll be superficial. Do eeet.

Whoa whoa hang on... It "hunts you down?!" What kind of shit is that?!

As in legs it after you and stuff?! :blank: dunno if I can deal with that kind of game play! I played Condemned on the 360 years back and that experience was bad enough! Some scary shit right there!

Might pick one of these up with my eventual birthday money. Played the crap out of forza horizon when I had my 360 and the Halo collection looks pretty good. The thing is I don't really want to pay for Xbox Live along with PS Plus since it would work out at around £80 a year. But I guess its not that bad, heard this thing was huge so I might have to find some space for it.

Might pick one of these up with my eventual birthday money. Played the crap out of forza horizon when I had my 360 and the Halo collection looks pretty good. The thing is I don't really want to pay for Xbox Live along with PS Plus since it would work out at around £80 a year. But I guess its not that bad, heard this thing was huge so I might have to find some space for it.

Yeah I only ended up paying for PS+ and not Xbox Live as well. I might have if their Games for Gold seemed worth it but the free games looked a bit lackluster.

So then... Accessories.

Any must haves?

I've had a quick scout and these are the ones that I think I'm definitely gonna get...

official-xbox-one-play-and-charge-kit-xbox-one-90301.jpg

Plug am play kit. Definitely think this should have been standard. Bit stupid that it isn't, but whatever. I would just stick to the batteries, but I like having my controllers rechargeable. Plus, saves buying batteries all the time!

en-INTL-L-Xbox-One-Geneva-Headset-Adapter-6JV-00001-RM4-mnco.jpg

Headset adapter. Now I don't do too much online gaming, but may look to pick one of these up so I can just use my normal headphones that have a built in mic rather than buying a specific headset. Those headsets can get pricey!! But worth it if you used it loads I guess.

m88NjsZ-mpw4FIMgkqLEv-w.jpg

Live, obviously. I've just found a great deal for a 12 month membership from a site called CDkeys.com and it's £22.99. If you like their Facebook page then you get 5% off which takes it to £21.84 exactly. Pretty sweet deal! Think I should go for that? Or does it sound dodge? I guess I could do it and I don't have to activate it til I'm ready do I? Or does it start from when you pay for it?

41KxMuj22WL._SX300_.jpg

Media remote. Will use the One as a blu ray player as I've lost the remote to my current one and the damn thing won't let me select anything as there's no up and down buttons on the player itself. Plus it's shite anyway.

Anything else?! I won't get all these straight away, live I will and plug and play I will but the others can wait a bit.

So then... Accessories.

Any must haves?

I've had a quick scout and these are the ones that I think I'm definitely gonna get...

official-xbox-one-play-and-charge-kit-xbox-one-90301.jpg

Plug am play kit. Definitely think this should have been standard. Bit stupid that it isn't, but whatever. I would just stick to the batteries, but I like having my controllers rechargeable. Plus, saves buying batteries all the time!

en-INTL-L-Xbox-One-Geneva-Headset-Adapter-6JV-00001-RM4-mnco.jpg

Headset adapter. Now I don't do too much online gaming, but may look to pick one of these up so I can just use my normal headphones that have a built in mic rather than buying a specific headset. Those headsets can get pricey!! But worth it if you used it loads I guess.

m88NjsZ-mpw4FIMgkqLEv-w.jpg

Live, obviously. I've just found a great deal for a 12 month membership from a site called CDkeys.com and it's £22.99. If you like their Facebook page then you get 5% off which takes it to £21.84 exactly. Pretty sweet deal! Think I should go for that? Or does it sound dodge? I guess I could do it and I don't have to activate it til I'm ready do I? Or does it start from when you pay for it?

41KxMuj22WL._SX300_.jpg

Media remote. Will use the One as a blu ray player as I've lost the remote to my current one and the damn thing won't let me select anything as there's no up and down buttons on the player itself. Plus it's shite anyway.

Anything else?! I won't get all these straight away, live I will and plug and play I will but the others can wait a bit.

I'd look into eneloops or something for batteries...means you can have one set charging whilst you play and you tired to the cable if it dies mid game!

I'd say for you yes the headphone adapter is worth it for purely game audio. A lot of headsets come with one in the box...I got the cheaper offical set and they are perfectly fine.

stereo_headset_official_microsoft_raw.jpg

Be interested to hear what the remote is like so I can see whether it's worth picking one up for the wife to use!

When does your console arrive? (apologies if I missed it somewhere in this thread)

ALSO CALL OUT TO ALL XBOX ONE OWNERS WHO IS UP FOR SOME MULTIPLAYER THIS WEEKEND? TITANFALL, FIFA ETC....

I'd look into eneloops or something for batteries...means you can have one set charging whilst you play and you tired to the cable if it dies mid game!

I'd say for you yes the headphone adapter is worth it for purely game audio. A lot of headsets come with one in the box...I got the cheaper offical set and they are perfectly fine.

stereo_headset_official_microsoft_raw.jpg

Be interested to hear what the remote is like so I can see whether it's worth picking one up for the wife to use!

When does your console arrive? (apologies if I missed it somewhere in this thread)

ALSO CALL OUT TO ALL XBOX ONE OWNERS WHO IS UP FOR SOME MULTIPLAYER THIS WEEKEND? TITANFALL, FIFA ETC....

Cheers!

I will look into the batteries. I had rechargeable ones for my 360 controller, never got along with them. Always find they die quite easily, and I spent a fortune on a few sets for that. It's put me off a bit! But I will do a bit of research.

Yeah, defintely looking into the headphone adapter. Looks like a good purchase.

The remote looks really cool. Apparently it's backlit, so if you're watching a film or something in the dark, you know what buttons what. Handy!

The console should be here next Friday, but I've ordered from Very and I've never pre-ordered with them before. Their normal delivery is decent enough, but I dont expect a 'ShopTo' and to see it on Wednesday or Thursday. Hopefully it'll be here on time though. Really excited to get it!

Damn, @Aneres11. I could have sworn that I didn't see ALIEN: ISOLATION in that list of things you wanted to purchase. I'm going to assume you thought it was obvious that you were getting it so just left it out. ;)

Damn, @Aneres11. I could have sworn that I didn't see ALIEN: ISOLATION in that list of things you wanted to purchase. I'm going to assume you thought it was obvious that you were getting it so just left it out. ;)

Are you on commission Flink?! :heh:

I will include it in my 'want' list, as I watched a youtube vid of some gameplay last night and read a couple of reviews and it definitely looked up my street. Even if I will have to lay a bin liner down on the bed whenever I play it. You know... for 'accidents'... :eek:

It may be one I pick up when the price drops slightly though. Think I've already got my first batch of games lined up! : peace:

@Aneres11 Very are usually very good with delivery! Did I miss what games you are getting?

Well I haven't 100% decided tbh. I have a general idea. Obviously Sunset Overdrive.

Forza Horizon is another one that I really like the look of so think I'm gonna go for that.

I also like the look of Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment. It only came out this month. Apparently it's a bit LA Noire when it comes to the detective side of it, minus the open world and car sections. It's been reviewed really well too. It's not exactly 'next gen' but looks like a fun play.

Also, there's this game called Alien: Isolation? It's not been mentioned much in the last few posts... :laughing:

But apparently it is good! ;)

Do want Dead Rising, plus there's a couple of third party releases I wouldn't mind playing through so if I can pick them up on the cheap I may just go for it. Watch Dogs, Tomb Raider etc. But they're not really 'must buys' tbh. Just be good to haves.

Once I've decided I'll be sure to post anyway!

Well I haven't 100% decided tbh. I have a general idea. Obviously Sunset Overdrive.

Forza Horizon is another one that I really like the look of so think I'm gonna go for that.

I also like the look of Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment. It only came out this month. Apparently it's a bit LA Noire when it comes to the detective side of it, minus the open world and car sections. It's been reviewed really well too. It's not exactly 'next gen' but looks like a fun play.

Also, there's this game called Alien: Isolation? It's not been mentioned much in the last few posts... :laughing:

But apparently it is good! ;)

Do want Dead Rising, plus there's a couple of third party releases I wouldn't mind playing through so if I can pick them up on the cheap I may just go for it. Watch Dogs, Tomb Raider etc. But they're not really 'must buys' tbh. Just be good to haves.

Once I've decided I'll be sure to post anyway!

Yeah those are definitely two I want to pick up when they are cheaper! Sherlock does look like LA Noire without any of the padding!

Are you on commission Flink?! :heh:

I will include it in my 'want' list, as I watched a youtube vid of some gameplay last night and read a couple of reviews and it definitely looked up my street. Even if I will have to lay a bin liner down on the bed whenever I play it. You know... for 'accidents'... :eek:

It may be one I pick up when the price drops slightly though. Think I've already got my first batch of games lined up! : peace:

Haha. :D

I feel like the teenage-LiNk every time I play the game. I'll spot something or hear something and immediately be transported back in time to the first occasion where I watched the film. I always wanted moar of that world and now we finally have it.

The lighting in this game in particular is beautiful. There's certain segments of the game where it just catches you off guard and you realise how beautiful this game is. If you do get it, you absolutely have to play it with headphones on to appreciate the sound design. :)

Basically, for the Alien geek in me, the game is orgasmic.

Haha. :D

I feel like the teenage-LiNk every time I play the game. I'll spot something or hear something and immediately be transported back in time to the first occasion where I watched the film. I always wanted moar of that world and now we finally have it.

The lighting in this game in particular is beautiful. There's certain segments of the game where it just catches you off guard and you realise how beautiful this game is. If you do get it, you absolutely have to play it with headphones on to appreciate the sound design. :)

Basically, for the Alien geek in me, the game is orgasmic.

In all honesty, your praise of the game is making me a little bit tempted! There definitely sounds like there's load of fun (and terror) to be had!

I've never seen the film though... So I dunno if I'd get as much as you are from it. Dat nostalgia.

In all honesty, your praise of the game is making me a little bit tempted! There definitely sounds like there's load of fun (and terror) to be had!

I've never seen the film though... So I dunno if I'd get as much as you are from it. Dat nostalgia.

To be honest, you probably won't get anywhere near as much out of it if you're not a fan of the original film. I grew up with the Alien series, watched the first three in particular hundreds of times, cried when I was given the Quadrilogy DVD boxset as a birthday gift from my friends, went to see the Director's Cut of Alien in the cinema for Halloween and probably a whole lot of other things, too.

I followed the news regarding Colonial Marines very closely and saw the game rise to must-have title and then fall apart into the abyss in a matter of months. There have been several games that have had certain elements of the series and nailed it in some respects, but have never fully recreated it in videogaming fashion. Alien Vs. Predator 1 and 2 on the PC were great shooters that modelled themselves on the sequel Aliens, they captured the way that the Alien moved and had good sound effects for the creatures. The campaign was decent and gave you a few nervous moments (quite a few terrifying ones too, but on a different level to Alien Isolation).

For me, the biggest thing is that we've never had a game based on the first film that contains the same themes as the original. The majority of the games take the inspiration from Aliens, which is absolutely fine because it does contain a lot of elements that it make it more videogame-friendly, especially due to the popularity of first person shooters. In AvP2, for example, you have the weapons that are seen in the movie Aliens, complete with accurate sound effects. So, it's cool, but in a completely different way to A:I.

What I've been looking for is a game that sums up Alien and manages to recreate that. Alien Isolation does that. You feel alone throughout most of the game and it's a relief when you encounter more people, although it's a rarity. Your weapons are mostly useless against the Alien, with only one or two being used as a "repellent" to fend it off. As far as I know, you can't kill it. There's a nice amount of symmetry here between this and Alien because the creature comes across as this invincible being, they successfully recreate that here.

However, like I mentioned above, the game won't be as awesome if you're not a fan of the films. You could still enjoy it a lot because it's a very good game and it gets your heart racing. But, 99.9% of the appeal for me with this game is the movie licence and where all of its inspiration and ideas come from.

My advice: watch the film. Be patient because there's a great deal of build up and it's not a very fast paced film. It is, hand on my heart, my favourite film of all time. It is inspirational on so many levels to the majority of science fiction movies that have been seen since and rewrote the book on how to create suspense and fear for the viewer.

I've just noticed that I've been typing and typing for ages! I have a lot to say about it, I guess. :D Watch the films, brah. Especially the first two. It has to be done.

Haha thanks Flink!

I like reading posts like that when someone is writing about something that they have such a passion for. It comes across! :D

I will try and looks for the film. Surely Netflix will have it? I'll check it out in a bit and see if it encourages me to play the game, although I am very interested in having a game experience like this anyway!

Sounds like you're having loads of fun with it anyway and I'm glad they've managed to create something that ticks all the boxes for fans of the franchise! That in itself is quite a feat to do I think, so hats off to them for that!

Well I caved and bought one. One of those sunset overdrive white ones. Will be here by the end of the month :D

Well I caved and bought one. One of those sunset overdrive white ones. Will be here by the end of the month :D

Ahh delicious. White one looks sexy, right?! : peace:

What else you gonna get for it?!

To be honest, you probably won't get anywhere near as much out of it if you're not a fan of the original film. I grew up with the Alien series, watched the first three in particular hundreds of times, cried when I was given the Quadrilogy DVD boxset as a birthday gift from my friends, went to see the Director's Cut of Alien in the cinema for Halloween and probably a whole lot of other things, too.
Did you ever check out Alien War? I was lucky enough to go a couple of times back in the early 90's, and it was so fucking awesome! :awesome:

The film/games are scary, but actually coming face to face with the alien for real is something else, especially when you're 13. :heh:

Ahh memories. :love:

My advice: watch the film. Be patient because there's a great deal of build up and it's not a very fast paced film. It is, hand on my heart, my favourite film of all time. It is inspirational on so many levels to the majority of science fiction movies that have been seen since and rewrote the book on how to create suspense and fear for the viewer.
Yeah, the first one is particularly amazing. Definitely one of my all-time favourites. icon14.gif

I'm still looking forward to playing Isolation at some point. :)

Ahh delicious. White one looks sexy, right?! : peace:

What else you gonna get for it?!

Right now its just Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2. I'll be picking up the Halo master chief collection when it come out though. Might look into getting one of those media remotes also.

Yeah think I'm gonna be similar to you. Gonna be Forza, and a couple of accessories and then some marketplace games I really like the look of.

Need to find somewhere to put the damn console first though.