NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

Well, that's somewhat acceptable. However, considering they're using a SATA hard drive and not flash memory like Wii U, it doesn't seem acceptable

Wait, why would that make a difference? And who said they are using SATA?

And who said they are using SATA?

You can see the drive in the internal pics.

Did i dream it, or did they mention that the Kinect would notice when you picked up a controller and switch to game mode for you?

Who asked for that? Why would we need to save precious milliseconds not navigating to the 'game' menu, and need the console itself to guess what we are going to and pre-empt it?

I don't understand, that is technology that literally nobody asked for...

They're talking about what it can potentially do. I don't think it meant while you were in the middle of something else, I think it meant when you started a game it could load your last save or whatever. Plus, all these things will be options you can turn off.

Ok still trying to catch up on what this thing does on why. Some things I don't get if peeps could maybe explain...

I kinda understand the thing with 2nd hand games due to you being required to install the games... but why are you required to install games?

What benifit other than read speed does that give?

Requiring all games be installed coupled with the non-changable HDD just componds things, (how big is HDD, I haven't seen specs), what if you fill up the HDD and delete a game you nolonger have disc for?

I know you can add on USB HDD's but given it uses standard SATA HDD's inside it, not making them upgradable seems a waste.... did they say if the USB ports were 3.0? If so I guess that would be a good positive in respect to adding on USB HDD's... something I was disappointed the WiiU skipped on.

Also if they were going to go the way of requiring games to be installed on the system and were worrying about people then trading in discs... why not just go digital only?

Stepping to another thing I don't get... why have they made it so the console requires that it be connected online to work????

So if something happens to your online and you lose internet you can't even play single player modes? WTF?

Wonder how big the PS4 is going to be...

It may also incorporate PlayTV.

I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if Sony spent a large portion of E3 showing off very similar features to the ones seen at the XBO reveal event. I should imagine it will be a similar size to the XBO.

I kinda understand the thing with 2nd hand games due to you being required to install the games... but why are you required to install games?

Because of the read speed issue, most likely, and to push whatever agenda they might be pushing with controlling the used game market.

Read speed is actually quite a big one, people are already talking about how the optical drive on the PS4 would bottleneck the 8GB of RAM without installing the games. Also you don't need the disk after you install it, so easy access to your game library.

Requiring all games be installed coupled with the non-changable HDD just componds things, (how big is HDD, I haven't seen specs), what if you fill up the HDD and delete a game you nolonger have disc for?
The HDD is 500GB. Big enough for a while, but maybe not a couple of years down the line. I assume you lose that game if you delete it (but... what else happens if you no longer have the disk for a game? :p)

I know you can add on USB HDD's but given it uses standard SATA HDD's inside it, not making them upgradable seems a waste.... did they say if the USB ports were 3.0? If so I guess that would be a good positive in respect to adding on USB HDD's... something I was disappointed the WiiU skipped on.
Yeah not being able to upgrade the seemingly standard HDDs is a mistake, and they did say 3.0 USB specifically.

Also if they were going to go the way of requiring games to be installed on the system and were worrying about people then trading in discs... why not just go digital only?
Digital only would piss off a lot of people. Hitman Absolution, a game from this generation, clocked in at 17GB. That's already double some people's data caps and would take half a day on some connections.

Stepping to another thing I don't get... why have they made it so the console requires that it be connected online to work????

So if something happens to your online and you lose internet you can't even play single player modes? WTF?

DRM yo. But it doesn't have to be online all the time, just once a day (apparently).

You can see the drive in the internal pics.

There's no way it's a 500GB SATA.

For lovers of TV, sports, water coolers and dogs.

(apologies if already posted, didn't have time to go through whole thread!)

Having caught up with the reveal, can't say I'm too impressed really.

The console itself doesn't look great. As mentioned before it looks like a modern VCR but to be honest, I don't care about the look/size too much as long as we're getting a well made product that won't overheat/die within months a la 360.

This whole kerfuffle about second hand games really puts me off as well. Fuck the activation codes process. It's all bollocks. The fact that Microsoft aren't being crystal clear about this and just spouting their usual bullshit doesn't make me trust Microsoft at all.

Overall, I think I need to see more of the Xbox One (and PS4) to make up my mind about the next gen. Right now, both don't really appeal to me that much, but that may change after E3 where they show the most important thing: the games.

For consoles which say they're all about the games, both Microsoft and Sony haven't shown anything that impresses me. At all.

Think I may turn to PC gaming for the first time at this rate...

I've been seeing articles so much of late suggesting that one of the big three will go after this generation. I used to think it was Sony because they are in the financial place where they can't accept another failure, but after this I'm thinking it may be Microsoft

There's no way it's a 500GB SATA.

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014-660x440.jpg

HM500JI.jpg

You can even see the SATA cable...

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014-660x440.jpg

HM500JI.jpg

You can even see the SATA cable...

Ah! I'm getting totally confused with SSD.

I need a coffee.

5400RPM is one of the slower drives. Wouldn't it have been better to go with 7200RPM? (I've not a clue.)

That's not the drive, just an example I grabbed off google.

SSD... now that would be something else :heh: and double the price of the console....

Edited by Shorty

Yeah, that's why I was all like wooooah 500GB?! No waaaay bra!

I know its more expensive and not as easy as people probably think but I think MS have made a mistake not making the system backwards compatible. For me their biggest selling point is the loyalty they built up with their gamertags and accounts. Those may be transferring across but the games purchased on the 360 wont be and people will not be happy about that. Probably 90% of them would never actually use the backwards compatibility but it doesnt stop them thinking that they would.

Ok still trying to catch up on what this thing does on why. Some things I don't get if peeps could maybe explain...

Nothing, but they don't really have a choice here. The BD Drive is far too slow for the amount of RAM in use by the console. Assuming that it would use a 6x (27MB per sec) BD Drive like the PS4 (Wii U uses a 5x drive) and that 5GB of RAM is usable for games as is rumored, it would take just over 3 minutes to completely fill the RAM. Now obviously this would be far too long to wait for a game to load, so they have to require HDD installations, where you have a read speed of about 100MB per sec on average (making for a maximum load time of around a minute now, but most games will not fill the RAM fully with each load).

PS4 will require the same thing cause it's gonna be even worse there with having even more RAM to fill!

The internal HDD is 500GB and non replaceable. USB 3 is supported.

So they can reduce the amount of bandwidth being used up by huge 25GB+ downloads, reduce the time people have to wait for games to download and have a presence in retail stores (though with the anti-used games system in place, that probably wont last long :laughing:)

Because EA demanded it and yes, you'll lose access to your single player games if the network goes down. It also means that once MS eventually shut down the servers in the future, your entire XBONE collection will be turned into glorified coffee coasters!

Once you've connected, you can play games offline for the next 24 hours. Which is still pretty shit.

500gb HDD, na thats way too small. I currently have a 250gb with a few games installed (but with a lot of DLC content and it's close to being filled on the 360 at present. Maybe a terabyte HDD would be better for them, who knows.

I can look past one issue with not playing last gen games. But needing Kinect to even operate is a huge issue. Especially as this will be in my room. I have enough room for the Wii-U sensor bar, never bought Kinect due to the fact it is simply a gimmick nothing more. I'm waiting for E3, but it could be the chance to swap to Sony for me once i see the console they offer. They are focusing on games, which is what i want. Yes fair enough, i have the 360 for usage of my NBA League-pass and using it for multiple uses is a good idea. But i have a Satellite box and Blu-ray at the moment, and all these uses would probably burn the whole system out.

Which is why the PS4 is looking like an alternative to the One. But we don't know what the console looks like yet, and probably won't know until E3. Which is where my decision will be made. Will i venture to the dark side or stick with Microsoft?

(though with the anti-used games system in place, that probably wont last long :laughing:)

There is a way for this situation to be not terrible while still requiring a fee: They sell the activation codes to used game stores at extremely cheap prices.

That way, the used game market takes a bit of a hit, but isn't destroyed by it and the publishers get some money out of it.

500gb HDD, na thats way too small. I currently have a 250gb with a few games installed (but with a lot of DLC content and it's close to being filled on the 360 at present. Maybe a terabyte HDD would be better for them, who knows.

I can look past one issue with not playing last gen games. But needing Kinect to even operate is a huge issue. Especially as this will be in my room. I have enough room for the Wii-U sensor bar, never bought Kinect due to the fact it is simply a gimmick nothing more. I'm waiting for E3, but it could be the chance to swap to Sony for me once i see the console they offer. They are focusing on games, which is what i want. Yes fair enough, i have the 360 for usage of my NBA League-pass and using it for multiple uses is a good idea. But i have a Satellite box and Blu-ray at the moment, and all these uses would probably burn the whole system out.

Which is why the PS4 is looking like an alternative to the One. But we don't know what the console looks like yet, and probably won't know until E3. Which is where my decision will be made. Will i venture to the dark side or stick with Microsoft?

Why is what the console looks like so important? Yes I think the Xbox One is ugly but if it actually offered the stuff I wanted then I would still buy one regardless.

We know that Sony has made it clear they are focused on the games and making it a developer friendly console. Microsoft have made it clear that the Xbox One wants to be everything in the living room.

Because EA demanded it and yes, you'll lose access to your single player games if the network goes down. It also means that once MS eventually shut down the servers in the future, your entire XBONE collection will be turned into glorified coffee coasters!

And for that very reason, I won't be buying one... there are other reasons but that one is definitely the main reason, it's also why I partly won't buy Playstation Plus... yes it's a very good deal, if you're on the console all the time and want to just play the games and be done with them but let's just say for arguments-sake what happens to all of your digital games when they 'turn off' the Playstation Network? (Which I know they won't)

You can't play the games that you got for 'free' can you?

At least with discs that you just put in a console and play without you having to be online, you know where you stand.

Once you've connected, you can play games offline for the next 24 hours. Which is still pretty shit.

Is that really a big deal? Do you know anybody whose console couldn't ping the internet for a few seconds once a day? Even if I just moved house I could use 3G.

Edited by Shorty

Why is what the console looks like so important? Yes I think the Xbox One is ugly but if it actually offered the stuff I wanted then I would still buy one regardless.

We know that Sony has made it clear they are focused on the games and making it a developer friendly console. Microsoft have made it clear that the Xbox One wants to be everything in the living room.

By room, the console would be on my desk. I sit at the desk with the PC, so i can go online. It's a comfortable position, plus my chair is comfortable.

I don't care about the look of the console, yes it's big. But thats fine, i got the room for it. Sony are making the PS4 for gamers, which is fine. Microsoft are making a device which is for the home entertainment at it's heart. Again, thats fine. But most people have Smart TV's, Satellite and a separate Blu-ray player/Lovefilm package so may not need to go for this.

Who knows, only time will tell if Microsofts approach will work.

Is that really a big deal? Do you know anybody whose console couldn't ping the internet for a few seconds once a day? Even if I just moved house I could use 3G.

There are still plenty of people with archaic network systems, and some houses are rather poor for wifi signals. For gamers it's probably not much of a problem, but many still don't (or can't) connect their consoles to the internet.

But they only need to connect for a moment... poor wifi, archaic network, that doesn't matter. People are making too big a deal out of this.

Video of the controller from Adam Sessler, feedback in the triggers sounds cool and it doesn't look quite as ugly in situ....