NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

ZUfiTxQ.png

It really seems like Microsoft expected the conference to be so good that nobody would notice the bad shit that followed

It's a shame, I have 44 games for my 360. I got good use out of it and was hoping Xbox One would continue that awesomeness

I'm hoping they do a "U-Turn" and allow 360 titles to play on the One. Heck, they allowed a select number of XBox titles to play on the 360 so i expect the same may occur here. After all, end of the year there is GTA-V and i don't think many people will want to buy this game, get a One and not be able to play it.

Not being backwards compatible will cause damage to the sales.

It doesn't work like that. If the Xbox One can't play 360 games it's because the processor simply cannot emulate them. You can't just make that decision on a whim and then reverse it likewise. Same thing has happened with the PS4, and I don't think it will hurt sales. Did we worry that the Gamecube couldn't play our N64 cartridges? When it comes to next generation gaming, the majority are happy to take that step forward.

I really thought these reveals would put me in one corner or the other, but I'm starting to find myself doubting the entire generation. The Wii U is underpowered and gimmicky, the PS4 is centring around some share bullshit I don't care about and has stupid lights on the controller and the Xbox One... cares more about NFL than games.

The idea of trading online is nice, if it works out that way. The idea of controlling all my media through the Xbox is nice, if it works out that way. And it probably won't. The sport bullshit, I just could not care less about.

Yeah i kind of thought i'd be struggling to choose which console i wanted out of the three - but now i'm in the situation where i really don't want any of them...

People on my FB friend list are saying this is amazing and Microsoft have "nothing to fix" with regards to it

Oish

Should've just cut it up so it said "TV, TV, TV, TV, Sports, Sports, Sports, doodie, doodie, doodie"

People on my FB friend list are saying this is amazing and Microsoft have "nothing to fix" with regards to it

Oish

Whilst a hundred things are wrong with this console from our perspective, from the broader perspective - ie your Facebook friends, I think it'll be a hit. However they needed to focus on games to keep the serious gamers from jumping ship.

Edit: See the below for the perfect example :p

Edited by Shorty

I have a friend on Facebook who is going to buy the XBox One because he's "sick of them getting all of the exclusives on COD and FIFA before PlayStation!"

That's literally his entire reason o_O

I have a friend on Facebook who is going to buy the XBox One because he's "sick of them getting all of the exclusives on COD and FIFA before PlayStation!"

And that will be a reason for many other people as well....didn't they say in the conference FIFA 14 ultimate team was strictly exclusive to xbox?

Whilst a hundred things are wrong with this console from our perspective, from the broader perspective - ie your Facebook friends, I think it'll be a hit. However they needed to focus on games to keep the serious gamers from jumping ship.

Edit: See the below for the perfect example :p

My brother, my nephews, their mates and a few of mine we all watching it last night and they are all ready talking about jumping to the PS4.

The lads at work aren't impressed with the X1 either and one of them is a hardcore Xbox fan.

I really thought these reveals would put me in one corner or the other, but I'm starting to find myself doubting the entire generation. The Wii U is underpowered and gimmicky, the PS4 is centring around some share bullshit I don't care about and has stupid lights on the controller and the Xbox One... cares more about NFL than games.

I dont think the PS4 is centering around the share stuff at all, its just a new feature which is entirely optional. They've made it pretty clear that they are centering around games which is exactly what I want.

The idea of trading online is nice, if it works out that way. The idea of controlling all my media through the Xbox is nice, if it works out that way. And it probably won't. The sport bullshit, I just could not care less about.

I don't think the practical reason for paying for second hand games has been discussed here. Is this because its far too obvious or because everyone is too concerned about getting cheap games rather than what makes sense for Microsoft and games publishers?

The game is installed on the console and you won't need the disc to play it after it is installed. This means I could buy a game, give it to absolutely every single person I know and then they wouldn't have to pay to use it.

Microsoft realise this and know they have to come up with a way to combat that as no one would buy any games and it would kill the industry.

After a very quick thought this is how it could work:

-Buy game at full price, install game and type in activation code. It's tied to your account/console forever.

-Trade in game and 'release' the activation code from your account. Shops will be able to help in this process and can be done remotely from console (Xbox website)

-Activation code is now free to be used again on another console

If you bring it to a friends house and haven't released the activation code then they will be charged a tiered price (depending on game/release/popularity) to install and play.

Alternatives could be added in such as renting games and the code is active for X days before being released (rentals done through Xbox Live).

My reason for getting one, which won't be until COD is no longer released on the 360 is that the controller is the best, I'm used to it and from my previous experiences Xbox Live is far, far better to PSN (this may have changed).

And as for the sports/Live TV stuff. That won't work in the UK. In the USA they have their TIVO boxes that allows them to get signals from any satellite channel etc. From my knowledge they don't have boxes from Sky/Virgin etc?

Regarding the games being linked to your account, have they clearly explained whether if I have an account and someone else has an account on the same console, they both can play the same game without have to pay any extra fees? Because if it's per account and not per console I'm out, Sony can have my custom (unless they announce the same thing dear god...).

Regarding the games being linked to your account, have they clearly explained whether if I have an account and someone else has an account on the same console, they both can play the same game without have to pay any extra fees? Because if it's per account and not per console I'm out, Sony can have my custom (unless they announce the same thing dear god...).

They have.

Anyone on the console can play a game on the console.

Yeah, they said that it'll work without extra fees on the same console

Yeah, they said that it'll work without extra fees on the same console

That's cool, everything I found explaining it seemed to dance around the question.

"What we're doing with the digital permissions that we have for Xbox One is no different to that. If I am playing on that disc, which is installed to the hard drive on my Xbox One, everybody in my household who has permission to use my Xbox One can use that piece of content. [so] I can give that piece of content to my son and he can play it on the same system."

This could be read as permission to use your account, or it could mean I'm reading to much into it :P

I'm waiting until E3 to make my decision on which to get. If i get the One (jeez, i'm sounding like Morpheus right about now) then hopefully they release GTA upon it as well, it would look fantastic if they do. But it's tough to choose a second console, very tough.

Considering it was geared towards the mainstream i'm not surprised.

The fallout from this conference has been amazing. It will probably take me a week to get through all the gifs in the various threads on gaf. :D

Yeah very true, it's great fun watching the fallout. It really does feel like I've taken a timewarp back to 2006 with Sony's E3 conference :laughing:

OH MY GOD LOOOL!!! We even have a video to rival that legendary

:laughing:

It just needed to highlight the fish-moving-out-of-the -way part and it would've been a perfect match (that's the "real time weapon change!?" moment right there :laughing: )

Edited by Dcubed

I can imagine the process now:

"Want to play on my Xbox?"

"Sure, sounds like fun"

"OK, all you have to do is say 'hello', let Kinect scan your looks and make an avatar - it also takes your pulse, by the way - and go through a few exercises so it can learn your voice. Oh, and it asks me to verify you first."

"Erm...want to play on my PS4 instead"

"What do you need to do for that?"

"You pick up the controller and start playing"

There's enough to pick on with the Xbox One without making shit up.... I have no doubt guests will be able to just pick up a pad and play without doing anything.

The game is installed on the console and you won't need the disc to play it after it is installed. This means I could buy a game, give it to absolutely every single person I know and then they wouldn't have to pay to use it.

I would rather they left it the way it is, where you do need the disk. Problem solved! Otherwise I am going to have a shelf full of games that are doing nothing but wasting space and only ever need to come out of their case once. Or at least, until I run out of HDD space.

To me, the Xbox One is officially the biggest mess I've seen in gaming. Bad consoles either have unfortunate shortcomings (Virtual Boy's faulty hardware, Saturn's lack of 3rd party support), or explore an area that ends up not being successful for its time (like the N-Gage or the Sega CD). Or even both, like the Phillips CDi.

However, the Xbox One is exploring areas that have been proved not to work and making those its goal. It's revelling in its own shortcomings. Like Serebii said, it is everything a console shouldn't be, and proud of it.

And yet, I don't think the backlash will truly start until the general public realises the full implications of these measures.

I don't think the practical reason for paying for second hand games has been discussed here. Is this because its far too obvious or because everyone is too concerned about getting cheap games rather than what makes sense for Microsoft and games publishers?

We understand the reasons, but it was Microsoft who chose this system in the first place. Remember that a reason is not a justification.

Did i dream it, or did they mention that the Kinect would notice when you picked up a controller and switch to game mode for you?

Who asked for that? Why would we need to save precious milliseconds not navigating to the 'game' menu, and need the console itself to guess what we are going to and pre-empt it?

I don't understand, that is technology that literally nobody asked for...

philips-cd-i.jpg

It actually reminds me of the Phillips CDi. However, I'm not sure why people are complaining about the size. With the specs of the machine were people really expecting it to be the size of the Wii U? It was always going to a be monster as it's basically a medium to high level PC that sits under your TV! What's more, if they did shrink it, then the price would rise and the chances of overheating would increase - and if there's one thing MS know all about it is consoles that overheat...

I just realised this basically kills off any Lovefilm support, which I use a lot to play games...sigh.

Did i dream it, or did they mention that the Kinect would notice when you picked up a controller and switch to game mode for you?

If it did that, how would you fastforward/rewind/pause what you're currently watching? Unless you have to buy a remote for that.

Wonder how big the PS4 is going to be...

It may also incorporate PlayTV.