NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

Console get! An Xbox One X arrived at my front door today, courtesy of a friend who is moving abroad and doesn't need it anymore.

Super excited to get my GamePass subscription set up and to play Red Dead 2 and the latest Nier title. Before that though, I'm getting Rare Replay and starting up Banjo Kazooie. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Official date set for the Xbox Games Showcase: 5pm BST (6pm CEST) July 23rd.

This so their event thats set to officially show off their first party offerings, though there'll no doubt be third party and indie games to a degree here. If not I'd be shocked. Regardless, this is Microsoft's chance to come out and show what they've got. We know what Sony has cooking (first party wise and through some exclusivity deals for the likes of Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo) and given the relative lukewarm reception to May's event (which I thought was fine overall but needed something a bit more meatier), they really need a good showing to put the Xbox Series X in people's minds for the end of the year otherwise they'll lose a lot of market share out of the gate to Sony and the PS5 just like with the PS4.

It's not a make or break event but they're going to have to show the big guns and a lot of new IPs to get people in. The likes of Halo and Forza (sadly Motorsport and not Horizon) will be there as will The Initiative's new IP and probably Everwild from Rare and that Battletoads game but they'll need to show that they've got a wide range of IPs new and old that will really grab people. I'm not sure they'll have it all but I'm curious enough to see what they're going to show from their studios. Maybe we'll see early work from Obsidian and InXile but I'd suspect that Double Fine will have a few games to show indie wise to cover that side with a teaser of something bigger down the line.

I do wonder if they'll be bringing any other devs into their framework. I'd have said Asobo but they've got another game in the works as part of a deal with Focus Home Interactive that's likely a sequel to A Plague Tale but I wonder if Dontnod will finally come under that banner what with Tell Me Why being Xbox exclusive and both sides having a good working relationship. Same goes for Bloober Team with their new game The Medium being exclusive for a bit.

Anyway, will be interesting to see nonetheless. No doubt there'll be little discussion over it other than how unlikely it is that they'll match Sony's output (and I agree there but they'll need time for their studios to get up to that speed) but it should be good. I've already hitched my wagon to the PS5 out of the gate as I'll be able to play Halo Infinite and such through GamePass on my One and because I just want rid of the jet engine that is the PS4 for a hopefully quieter unit in the PS5 (and because of the games obviously) but I'll be keeping an eye out to see whether the Series X will be worth the upgrade down the road.

Edit: This also comes on top of the ID@Xbox demo event happening starting July 21st where you'll be able to play between 75 - 100 demos for indie games and such on your Xbox One, kind of like the recent summer demo event on Steam. So should be a good couple of days.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 1

A new Hydro Thunder and the revival of more Rare IPs might tempt me to get a Xbox. Lengthy trailers of Halo and Forza will have the opposite effect.

I've been playing (and loving) my Xbox One X over the last week.

I'm only playing on a 1080p set (albeit a high quality one) and I'm really impressed with the graphics. Red Dead 2 especially looks amazing, as does Resident Evil 3 remake. The controller is also miles better in terms of build quality than the PS4 one.

The one downside is that I keep hitting the wrong buttons when prompted! Why can't Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft just agree on the layout of the ABXY buttons!

• Like 2

Yeah the controller's great, the Switch one is more comfortable I find but the Xbox has the much higher build quality. Not a fan of the loud clicking buttons though. 

Console itself looks slick a f too, love the minimalist look of it.

+ 1 for Xbox One controller love. I've had mine for about a year now and it is easily the best controller on the market. It fits my hands like a glove and is great for a whole manner of games like FPSs, Racing (cough, analogue triggers, cough) and even Indie games which use the D-Pad. I've had no problems on Crypt of the Necrodancer, for example. I agree about the button layout though, going between Switch and Xbox is such a pain and I'm constantly getting A/B and X/Y mixed up. 

I’m so glad they fixed the Xbox One pad. The first one they came out with had slightly different L & R bumpers to what we have now and they didn’t work nearly as well.

Some other thoughts...

The UI is absolutely horrendous. I honestly have no idea where anything is.

GamePass is an absolutely terrific idea but Microsoft desperately need more exclusively games. I've been playing Banjo and Red Dead and thoroughly enjoying both but I wish they had more variety. Hopefully next gen...

43 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

The UI is absolutely horrendous. I honestly have no idea where anything is.

Assuming you've got the update the UI is better now, it used to be almost unusable. I got rid of all the homepage tiles so now it's all just 1 page, which improves it a bit.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

It's funny because I used to really like the original Xbox 360 dashboard, but they kept making it worse and worse over time.

• Like 1

Speaking of Xbox Controllers (well it's for xcloud really).

• Like 1

That controller is gorgeous. Does it work on the regular XOX?

1 hour ago, Goron_3 said:

That controller is gorgeous. Does it work on the regular XOX?

They insist it's just for Android.

I have the elite 2 controller and it’s the best Iv ever used. It’s weighty, and so comfortable in my hand. I can never go back to ordinary controllers now, I have a 1S in the bedroom and the controller feels like a toy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

xCloud (still hope they change that name) will become an official part of Game Pass come September. If it stays the same price that's another great selling point for the service.

I've actually been playing around with Stadia abit more as my free pro subscription runs out at the end of July. Gylt is a Luigi's Mansion lite experience, Destiny 2 and The Division 2 actually run fairly well on it when next to the router...the more I've played it the more impressed I've become with it, and the tech overall. However, the service just isn't appealing enough to warrant £10 a month to that, as well as Game Pass (when I eventually have to start paying for that) which gets me so much more. 

As long as Google stick with Stadia and actually get all the features out that they advertised it could be a success, but in the mean time the official xCloud integration into Game Pass is another reason to stick with Xbox for me.

• Like 1

Wow, what a move from Xbox. Fantastic

Can't see why anyone would bother with Stadia after this

For anyone interested, it seems that the summer games showcase demo event has started a bit early as a bunch of demos for indie games have appeared on the Xbox One store. They're mostly all smaller titles alongside a demo for the Destroy All Humans remake and there'll likely be more tomorrow and throigh the week leading up to the Xbox Games Showcase on Thursday. Still, I've got demos for Genesis Noir and Welcome to Elk downloaded to looking forward to trying them later. And looking forward to seeing what else gets added in the coming days. Can't remember if Spiritfarer and Haven were supposed to have demos coming as part of this or not but would be nice.

Battletoads has finally been confirmed for release in late August 

Kind of understand why this wasn't any where near the Xbox presentation, however stylistically I like the look of it and seems to have a sense of humour...not sure I would have bought it but as it's day and date in Game Pass I'll definitely be giving it a go.

• Thanks 1

XCloud is officially launching in Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on September 15th on Android phones and tablets. Looks like it'll bring with it pretty much everything that's available on Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on Xbox One (there'll probably be some omissions from the overall list but they're saying more than 100 titles out the gate).

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/08/04/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-cloud-gaming-on-september-15/

Obviously there's no iOS version currently due to Apple's policy with their store front but I presume it'll come somewhere down the line.

Pretty cool that its being included as a free addition to Game Pass Ultimate. With the Xbox Love Gold yearly sub going away (by the looks of it the whole of Gold may be going for Series X coming), this taking the place of that makes sense. Looking forward to trying it out myself at some point. Also good on Microsoft for adding compatibility for Dualshock 4 controllers as well.

They continue making great moves, very impressive to add a feature like that to an already amazing service.

Interesting. Presumably there's a latency delay? Might try this when it's out.

Some third party mobile gaming accessories Xbox are promoting ahead of next month: