NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

I see that MS have released a few more games as part of the backwards compatible program. Sadly, these will be the last set of games. They will be no longer adding any more titles to the system. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I see that MS have released a few more games as part of the backwards compatible program. Sadly, these will be the last set of games. They will be no longer adding any more titles to the system.

That's a great shame, I really thought they would be adding more Xbox original games than the 39 it ended up totalling. :hmm:

Oh well, at least we got Panzer Dragoon Orta, out of all the Xbox Original games, it's still easily my favourite title. :smile:

Okay, gonna be honest, what's the point of touting backwards compatibility if it's only for a select few games? Xbox games are notorious for the fact that (at least last I heard) you can't emulate them. So they're basically making it really hard for people to play their games. I thought they were actually going to do something really cool there, backwards compatibility is such a great, consumer-first feature. I'm happy for everyone who's favourite games ARE included though. 

• Thanks 1

Just a heads up for anyone interested. I had about 10 months left on my Xbox Gold, I bought two 12 month prepaid codes online and redeemed them on the store, adding an extra month for each by turning on auto renew. So now my subscription ends in June 2022. 

I’ve also taken advantage of the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate deal for £1. What I’ve only just found out is when you subscribe, it converts any remaining Xbox Gold months into Game Pass Ultimate months. So I’ve paid £1 for three years of Game Pass. Plus the £100 quid for two years Xbox Gold of course which I would’ve paid for year on year anyway, I’ve just paid it up front. 

So stuff like Gears 5, I won’t have to buy, saving me even more. It’s really an incredible deal. I won’t pay anything at all now until June 2022. 

• Like 1

On 14/06/2019 at 10:48 AM, Dog-amoto said:

Just a heads up for anyone interested. I had about 10 months left on my Xbox Gold, I bought two 12 month prepaid codes online and redeemed them on the store, adding an extra month for each by turning on auto renew. So now my subscription ends in June 2022. 

I’ve also taken advantage of the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate deal for £1. What I’ve only just found out is when you subscribe, it converts any remaining Xbox Gold months into Game Pass Ultimate months. So I’ve paid £1 for three years of Game Pass. Plus the £100 quid for two years Xbox Gold of course which I would’ve paid for year on year anyway, I’ve just paid it up front. 

So stuff like Gears 5, I won’t have to buy, saving me even more. It’s really an incredible deal. I won’t pay anything at all now until June 2022. 

I've seen a few people online talking about this, I might just get involved and buy another years on CD Keys or trade some bits in at Game for a code and do this, I'll want to play Gears 5 when it comes out at least 😎

It looks like Inside Xbox is done and dusted. Reports are coming out about mass layoffs that happened recently for both the Mixer and Inside Xbox teams.

I wouldn't be surprised if this signals Microsoft going the Direct/State of Play route. Inside Xbox was always far too long and bloated and I imagine it cost a lot more than just putting out a video. 

, Traded some bits and bobs in for a years live subscription for £12, signed up for ultimate for £1... nothing to pay again until September 2020! Almost seems too good to be true...

At least that's Gears 5 sorted, Monster Hunter World is downloading so I can crack on from HR12, Wolfenstein II, and the single player from Sea of Thieves to keep me occupied as well!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

...and the single player from Sea of Thieves to keep me occupied as well!

Wait a minute... Sea of Thieves has a single player campaign now? :blank:

I'm intruiged.

13 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Wait a minute... Sea of Thieves has a single player campaign now? :blank:

I'm intruiged.

Yeah apparently was put in in the anniversary update ... hoping to get on it tomorrow morning, if I do I'll let you know!

• Thanks 1

On 30/05/2019 at 8:17 AM, Ganepark32 said:

Both of the these are now available through Game Pass and to purchase.

Got Void Bastards downloaded already so looking forward to giving it a go and very interested in trying Outer Wilds because of how puzzle like it sounds.

Downloaded this on Game Pass. It’s really good, doesn’t hold your hand at all and has a great sense of discovery. Can get a bit frustrating at times though, as it’s not clear which bits of lore you’ve already translated, and a some of the places you explore need to be done so precisely that one slight mid step can mean your run is totally ruined and you need to repeat everything. One example is crossing some wooden bridges that collapse, if you miss a jump or a boost, you’re sent tumbling into a black hole and spawn on the other side of the solar system. Granted, there’s a way to warp back on a nearby space station, but it’s time consuming and since most objectives are time sensitive, it’s probably better to restart. 

Just picked up an Xbox One from amazon prime deals day - what are some must plays? Had a release Xbox for a month before it broke.

13 minutes ago, Esequiel said:

Just picked up an Xbox One from amazon prime deals day - what are some must plays? Had a release Xbox for a month before it broke.

• Forza Horizon 4 (One of the best)
  • Gears of War 4 (It's Gears)
  • Halo 5: Guardians (It's Halo)
  • Ori and the Blind Forest (Charming and challenging platformer)
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta (Backwards Compatible)
  • Phantom Dust (Digital Xbox Original Re-Release, Free)
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 (Early 2020)
  • Rare Replay (30 games from Rare's back-catalogue, a must have)
  • ReCore (deserves more love than it gets, not amazing but good)
  • Sunset Overdrive (another underrated launch title)
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, S.C.G said:
  • Forza Horizon 4 (One of the best)
  • Gears of War 4 (It's Gears)
  • Halo 5: Guardians (It's Halo)
  • Ori and the Blind Forest (Charming and challenging platformer)
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta (Backwards Compatible)
  • Phantom Dust (Digital Xbox Original Re-Release, Free)
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 (Early 2020)
  • Rare Replay (30 games from Rare's back-catalogue, a must have)
  • ReCore (deserves more love than it gets, not amazing but good)
  • Sunset Overdrive (another underrated launch title)

PSO2 is on the list, it’s the main reason I bought the Xbox :p

And I’m just trying out the gears 5 demo at the minute!

• Thanks 1

Picked up an Xbox One yesterday in preparation fro Gears 5. I had a bit of a faff on with getting one.

On Saturday I went to pick up an X model that I had ordered in at Argos. I decided to go with that version of the console due to me now having a 4K TV and also because it was on sale for £380. I collected the console, got back to the car and decided to give it a look over before I set off home. I noticed the box was a bit tatty and that all of the seals on it had been broken. The console had clearly been out of the box. I went back in the store and explained that I didn't want it because it wasn't exactly new if it had been out of the box. The guy behind the counter said it probably was a show model or been on the shop floor but it would still be new. Screw that! I told him I was paying a lot of money for this and I want one that was still sealed. They didn't have any in stock so he had to give me a refund....which he clearly wasn't happy about. I did manage to score a free £10 gift voucher out of it. You get one for spending over £100 and the girl giving me the refund said she couldn't be bother to ring it back through and I could keep it. :D 

After all of that I thought about it some more and decided just to get the S model instead. I was in Sainsburys for my lunch yesterday and seen that they were selling them for £199 with a game, which is £50 cheaper than what hey are currently going for. I snapped it up there and then. 

The dashboard is different to the last time I had an Xbox and it's still an absolute mess. However, it is slightly better than what it was when I last used it. I could actually find the things I was looking for but the whole thing is still stupidly cluttered with garbage i'm not interested in. 

I spent way too much time last night just playing around with the new avatar system and creating my own. They could do with some more options for it but the whole look of them, as well as their animations, are very Disney-esque. They look much better than what they used to be and are far more dynamic. It's a shame they are hidden away and looking at my friends list it seems not many people cared enough about this reboot to the system to make new ones or maybe they just simply didn't know about it. ::shrug:

I signed up for Game Pass thanks to the £2.00 for 2 month deal. It's such an insane deal. The amount of quality games, especially new indie titles, is just nuts. There's over 100+ games on the service and I was kind of spoilt for choice. I ended up grabbing Gears 1, 2, 3 ,4 Judgement, Dead Rising 2, Halo Wars 2, Ori and the Blind Forest, Super lucky's Tale, Crackdown 3, Recore, Sea of Thieves and The Gardens Between. I figured that should keep me going for a while. :p I've also got my eye on Wargroove, Vampyr, Supermarket Shriek, My Time at Portia, Riverbond, Guacamelee 2, Quatum Break, Below and Abzu. 

While I do worry that Game Pass will devalue games ( already seen this happen across various forums ) I can really see the appeal of this kind of service for people with families or who are on a budget. I still love my physical games but for those who want to go all digital and aren't bothered about actually owning a game after playing it then this service is fantastic value for money.

Sadly, I didn't get to play anything on the console last night. Gears of War Ultimate was my first download and with it being 60+GB it took all night to finish being put on my system. I wanted to start with that because I intend to try and get through all the Gears of War games, as well as get through 4 books, before Gears 5 arrives. Speaking of which, that was available to install/pre-load last night which means it should unlock at midnight on the earlier release date of the 6th September. Still can't get over how all of these games only cost me and others £2. :laughing:

Thought I saw you on my friends list last night @Hero-of-Time!

Game pass is such great value, especially with that £1 deal for 12 months I blagged, the downside as always is the installation process...

Really in the Gears mood now but I'm not touching the others so 5 is fresh next week... you've got a week to get through all previous entries...

The UI is still my biggest bug bear with the Xbox One. It's definitely improved over when I first had the console but it still feels too cluttered, especially with sponsored posts and ads on your home page. I've end up simply making two group categories: one for games and one for apps and relegated the suggested apps group and stuff to the very bottom of the home page to make it more manageable but it still feels messy at the top. It's definitely something they'll need to sort out next gen and hopefully that'll mean getting rid of the ads for things like Game Pass when you already have it.

Still, I've been enjoying my One a whole lot this time around and I think a large part of that is to do with Game Pass. I'm still buying games on the console, especially indie games like Sea of Solitude and Forgotton Anne and such, but having a library of games at my disposal and just being able to pick and download something to give it a try has been great. It's allowed me to try games I've been sceptical about trying or even checking out games I knew nothing about (Outer Wilds for instance has easily become one of my favourite games of the year thanks to GP) as well as letting me retread games I've picked up previously on other consoles (though I've refrained from playing Hollow Knight again on a 4th platform inspite of the temptation to do so).

The last week prior to playing Control, I've dipped my toes into Sea of Thieves (and found it not to my liking), Generation Zero (thanks to the Xbox Live Free Days which are a great idea), redownloaded Rare Replay to replay Conker and played a load of Dirt 4 (I've loved playing this, always good to have a quality racing game on the go). Sure I might not have stuck with them all but getting to try these games out through having Game Pass Ultimate when I'd be hesitant to put down money on a physical copy has been great and has pointed out games that after trying I'll definitely be picking up to support the devs (like Slay The Spire which will be perfect for handheld play on the Switch when I pick it up again in a few weeks).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Really in the Gears mood now but I'm not touching the others so 5 is fresh next week... you've got a week to get through all previous entries...

Tell me about it. The games I can blast through pretty quickly but 4 400 page books on top of that is gonna be the killer. I already read Aspho Fields last week so i'm all set to play Gears 1 and 2 back to back, before tackling 3 books in a row. After that it will be Gears 3 and 4 and then the book that ties Gears 4 and 5 together. There's also Astral Chain arriving tomorrow and Final Fantasy VIII releasing on Tuesday. It's going to be pushing it, even for someone like me. 

19 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Tell me about it. The games I can blast through pretty quickly but 4 400 page books on top of that is gonna be the killer. I already read Aspho Fields last week so i'm all set to play Gears 1 and 2 back to back, before tackling 3 books in a row. After that it will be Gears 3 and 4 and then the book that ties Gears 4 and 5 together. There's also Astral Chain arriving tomorrow and Final Fantasy VIII releasing on Tuesday. It's going to be pushing it, even for someone like me. 

I'd say you've over faced yourself, but I'm sure you'll manage to squeeze it all in some how, Dr Strange... 😉

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I'd say you've over faced yourself, but I'm sure you'll manage to squeeze it all in some how, Dr Strange... 😉

Haha. Nah, I think either Astral Chain or Final Fantasy VIII will have to take a backseat in all of this. I was thinking Astral Chain was only a 10-15 hour game but it seems to be double that.

I did start Gears of War Ultimate yesterday evening and i'm not far off from finishing it. I would have had it done and dusted but a mate of mine was visiting and myself and a few of the lads went out for a meal. It was very inconsiderate of him. Doesn't he know i'm on a deadline! :p Also, my next book (Jacinto's Remnant ) arrived yesterday. I have no idea where my original copy went so I had to order another. It's very strange because all the rest of them are still there on the shelf. ::shrug:

Once I get in from work i'm hoping to get Gears of War Ultimate finished and then crack on with Gears of War 2, possibly getting that finished tonight as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/08/2019 at 7:00 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Haha. Nah, I think either Astral Chain or Final Fantasy VIII will have to take a backseat in all of this. I was thinking Astral Chain was only a 10-15 hour game but it seems to be double that.

I did start Gears of War Ultimate yesterday evening and i'm not far off from finishing it. I would have had it done and dusted but a mate of mine was visiting and myself and a few of the lads went out for a meal. It was very inconsiderate of him. Doesn't he know i'm on a deadline! :p Also, my next book (Jacinto's Remnant ) arrived yesterday. I have no idea where my original copy went so I had to order another. It's very strange because all the rest of them are still there on the shelf. ::shrug:

Once I get in from work i'm hoping to get Gears of War Ultimate finished and then crack on with Gears of War 2, possibly getting that finished tonight as well.

How are you getting on with operation Gears? 

Once you've finished up with the series and 5, I'd recommend Ori as a completely different style of game to sink your teeth into, it's a great Metroid style game and beautifully presented :)

How are you getting on with operation Gears? 

It's going okay but not as well as I was hoping for. Xbox Live was down for a couple of hours last night and that stopped me from playing Gears of War 2. This highlighted a major flaw with the Game Pass system. If Live is down then you can't actually access any of your games. I have now finished Gears of War Ultimate and Gears of War 2 but I was hoping to have that done before I went to bed last night rather than this morning. :( 

I've got pics of the endings that I captured while playing but the Xbox screenshot uploader is a piece of junk. The way you capture and send screens on the Switch and even the PS4 is so much faster. I tried sending the captures on to my twitter feed ( only use it for gaming captures ) and it took forever and then eventually crashed. Even accessing them in the first place is a pain in the backside.

Once you've finished up with the series and 5, I'd recommend Ori as a completely different style of game to sink your teeth into, it's a great Metroid style game and beautifully presented :)

Yeah, i've been wanting to play that for a while. I was going to play it on the Switch but with me getting an Xbox i've already got it downloaded and ready to play. :D 

Yeah it can be a pain when nonsense like that happens; happened while I was playing Ori and then I had to uninstall the game and re download it as it corrupted the game file...which is fine for a 15GB game but Gears is 100GB or so 🙈

Super Lucky's Tale as well, of course! There are some gems on Xbox, once you get through the UI...

Holding firm on Gears, I've got Monday off so will try and continue with Arkham Origins instead of giving in, he says...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Yeah it can be a pain when nonsense like that happens; happened while I was playing Ori and then I had to uninstall the game and re download it as it corrupted the game file...which is fine for a 15GB game but Gears is 100GB or so 🙈

Super Lucky's Tale as well, of course! There are some gems on Xbox, once you get through the UI...

Holding firm on Gears, I've got Monday off so will try and continue with Arkham Origins instead of giving in, he says...

Yup. Super Lucky's Tale is also downloaded. It's another game I've been wanting to play for ages. I love me some colourful platformers. I was actually tempted to fire it up today as a bit of a pallet cleanser after finishing Gears 2. I'll see how I get on with reading Jacinto's Remnant, as I may still give it a go before the day is over.

Super Lucky's Tale is enjoyable H-o-T. 

If you go for the full achievement score, which I'm sure you will, then it lengthens it somewhat. But I enjoyed it, even it is a very basic platformer. 

I found it a nice game to play in between a more story driven game as it was fairly relaxing. 

3 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

Super Lucky's Tale is enjoyable H-o-T. 

If you go for the full achievement score, which I'm sure you will, then it lengthens it somewhat. But I enjoyed it, even it is a very basic platformer. 

I found it a nice game to play in between a more story driven game as it was fairly relaxing. 

Well, I ended up starting it, getting 100% of the clovers and then finishing the game in a single sitting. It's was quite fun. Seeing as I can't get the capture on the Xbox to work properly, I took a quick snap myself. :p 

EDU8hVTU4AAyOpM?format=jpg&name=large

I assume the rest of the clovers are from the DLC?

As I said, it was fun but the loading times really tested my patience. I'm quite baffled why they were so long. The game isn't really doing anything fancy to be pushing the system. I guess it's just poorly optimized? Also, I was surprised how short the game was. I'm glad I didn't buy it considering the length of it.

As for the achievements, I don't really go after them anymore. I only concentrate on either trophies or achievements not both. Plus, I really dislike the achievement system now. For example, this game has a score of 2000/2000 but just looking at the list I had no idea what were the normal achievements and what were the DLC. On the PlayStation they at least separate them out.

• Like 1