NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

Microsoft will be airing a commercial during the Super Bowl for the Xbox Adaptive Controller! :bowdown: below is the extended version: 

When technology empowers each of us, it empowers all of us. This Super Bowl, follow the inspirational story of passionate young gamers rising to the top of their game with a little help from their friends, family and the Xbox Adaptive Controller. The story illustrates Microsoft’s commitment to building accessible technology that levels the playing field and creates opportunity for all of us.

I’ve said this before, but I need to say it again: I love the direction that Xbox are heading in.

Sure, the future looks bright for their games, and if they can match the technical prowess of their consoles, we’re in for a treat next gen. However, much more important to me is that they are funding controllers and projects like this and helping those that can often find themselves ostracised socially, or often left behind as an afterthought when it comes to gaming options, to be included too. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

Another rumour about the digital only Xbox has popped up.

First detailed by Brad Sams, Microsoft has been experimenting with a discless Xbox One S console codenamed Xbox Maverick, with a launch window thought to be around Q1 2019. According to our sources, we now know a little bit more about the timing and marketing name of this intriguing new console.
Microsoft is reportedly set to call the discless Maverick console the "Xbox One S All-Digital Edition," with preorders aiming for mid-April 2019, and with general availability coming in early May 2019. It looks as though it could be near-global simultaneous launch for almost all existing Xbox markets.

The discless Xbox One S would be a first for the company, offering fans the ability to ditch discs altogether and go all-in on digital game licenses. As Microsoft pushes for greater access to its game library via things like the Xbox Game Pass digital subscription and the incoming streaming service Project xCloud, dropping the disc drive from the "All-Digital Edition" should make it the cheapest Xbox console yet, although we have no word on pricing just yet, or whether the console will see any design refinements beyond simply dropping the disc drive

The normal S model usually goes for around £180-£190 these days so if this new console is real then I expect it to be around £150-£170 mark. 

In other news, Just Cause 4 is now on Game Pass. Not bad when you consider it was just released at the end of last year.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

If this discless Xbox is really coming out and actually wants to be a success, then Microsoft will probably sell it close to cost or making very little on it, they'll make it back with subs.

I reckon we could see it as low as the price that the Nintendo GameCube originally launched at in Europe... £129.99

Any more than that would be way to expensive a trade-off for not being able to read discs I reckon, because don't forget you then also don't have the ability to use older discs as well.

With backwards compatability, I can play a lot of my original Xbox games, if I wanted those digitally then they are around a tenner each...

...but if more of those titles are becoming part of Game Pass anyway, this may well be a non-issue for some.

If they launch it at £129(ish) and pack in a month or two of GamePass, I'm in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goron_3 said:

That would be a sweet spot for a lot of people. I imagine a fair few would be willing to jump in at that price.

I think this is a good move by Microsoft. It will help give a handle on how many people are willing to purchase a digital only machine before they launch their new console.

4 hours ago, Goron_3 said:

I’d jump in for a deal like this too. 

One of the main reasons I would jump into Xbox at this point would be to dust off my extensive 360 catalogue. So as S.C.G says, without the disk drive you’re losing that feature. It’d be a no from me.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Shorty said:

One of the main reasons I would jump into Xbox at this point would be to dust off my extensive 360 catalogue. So as S.C.G says, without the disk drive you’re losing that feature. It’d be a no from me.

There were rumours going around that some kind of trade in scheme for disc users was going to be used. I find it very unlikely for that kind of thing to happen but if for some reason it did, would that be appealing to you?

I forgot to post this yesterday.

xbox-one-s-all-digital-pack-mock-2.png

Editor's note: To protect the origins of these images, we've recreated the box art in Photoshop. Note the disc-less symbol at the bottom.

Initially revealed by Brad Sams at Thurrott.com, "Maverick" is the codename of an upcoming Xbox One S model that has no disc drive. Instead, this console will be entirely digital. Recently, we revealed that it will have a mid-April debut, likely at Inside Xbox, with an early-mid May launch window. Additional documents we received indicate that this launch date could be May 7, 2019, with all existing Xbox markets targeted in a global simultaneous release.

The design of the Xbox One S All-Digital appears to be virtually identical to the current Xbox One S, without the disc drive and eject button. The product shots we received seem to indicate that it will come with a 1TB HDD and with Forza Horizon 3, Sea of Thieves, and Minecraft digital codes bundled into the box. It doesn't look as though it will be bundled with Microsoft's Netflix-like subscription service for games, Xbox Game Pass.

Our information suggests that the Xbox One S All-Digital edition will have the lowest recommended retail price (RRP) of all current Xbox One consoles, aimed at newcomers to the ecosystem, although the exact pricing is unknown at this time.

Not coming with Game Pass seems like a bit of a miss to me.

27 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There were rumours going around that some kind of trade in scheme for disc users was going to be used. I find it very unlikely for that kind of thing to happen but if for some reason it did, would that be appealing to you?

You mean I'd have to give up my disks? Like mail them off somewhere to be added digitally to my account?

I dunno, I'm kind of a pack-rat when it comes to old games, if nothing else. Not sure about the idea of giving up my 360 disks, even though they've just been sitting in a box in the garage for years...

Come back to me when they add an Xbox Classics Gamepass :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The other thing is, if you have everything digitally, tied to your account and then one day they just decide to deactivate or delete anything then that doesn't really leave you with anything, if you have the discs, you can at least still play the games.

Edited by S.C.G

Not to let Sony have all the fun, Microsoft are getting in on the act of putting on a direct style stream with an Indie games focused stream set to take place March 26th at 4pm GMT, titled ID@Xbox Game Pass. It's set to focus on games set to come to Game Pass in the coming months, with new looks at Void Bastards and Afterparty as well as new game announcements and such.

Microsoft have done well in recent years to throw some weight behind indie games, giving them a big spotlight during E3 so giving them more focus in their own stream, even if it comes off of the back of Nintendo doing their own Nindie Directs, is only a good thing. Looking forward to seeing more of After Afterparty myself as it's by the devs behind Oxenfree and I loved that game.

• Like 1

Both of the these are now available through Game Pass and to purchase.

Got Void Bastards downloaded already so looking forward to giving it a go and very interested in trying Outer Wilds because of how puzzle like it sounds.

My first time trying Game Pass this month after picking up an Xbox One again (my PS4 seems to be slowly dying so I'm trying to eek it out as long as I can by using the Xbox One for media as well as some games) and while it would be nice to see everything available on the service, the variety there is pretty good and I've already managed to fill up my hard drive with stuff to play for the next couple of weeks/months.

I mean, Knights of the Old Republic is available so it was always going to be an instant win but I've really enjoyed diving into Forza Horizon 4 (It's very surreal driving around the abridged Edinburgh having spent a large part of my life there) and have just come off of the back of finishing up the original Halo as part of the Master Chief Collection (though I enjoyed this less, especially the latter levels once the flood is introduced. The level design for these bits is pretty bad now. Feels like I've had a childhood memory ruined replaying it) and I've got plenty of other things to try. Getting it for £1 feels like a steal for the month but even at £7.99, it's hard to pass up.

Anyway, looking forward to trying both of those games out over the next few days.

• Like 2

So Microsoft's conference is set to take place in just over an hour (9pm BST). Whose tuning in?

I wasn't feeling any hype coming into E3 with many devs pulling back from it but now that it's almost upon us, I'm excited to see what's coming through the Xbox conference.

First party wise, I'm really hoping for a release date on the Ori sequel as it's been long coming. Thinking a late August/early September date will be on the cards for that. Halo wise, I think it's primarily a next gen game but it'll also launch on Xbox One alongside it. Not too bothered for Gears 5 as I've yet to play 4 and hear it's not exactly amazing. More Forza content for Horizon is always welcome and of course there'll no doubt be stuff on Battletoads and Ninja Theory's game.

Microsoft are heavily hinting at a next gen reveal of some form so I expect we'll see some in progress work/concept stuff from some of their studios and maybe Halo being used to showcase some of what's possible.

Third party wise, I'm looking forward to seeing more indie as they're always good at giving them some space. CD Projekt Red have pretty much confirmed that Cyberpunk 2077 will be on stage (and both forms of the Collectors editions for the game have leaked, with a supposed 2019 release date attached with the caveat that it's definitely going to be delayed to early next year) and I can't wait to see that. But beyond that, I'm just hoping to be surprised and with them having free reign over third party showcasing more or less, there should be some good ones there. Heck, if that From Software game turns out to be true (in terms of some of the details about it's setting) then it may be the first of their games I eagerly await.

Yeah, I'll be watching it. I'm looking forward to seeing Gears 5 being showcased and I'm hoping to see if the long rumored new Fable game made by Playground finally makes an appearance.

With Sony not showing up to the party this means that a lot of 3rd party games will be shown at the Xbox conference. I'm hoping Capcom brings something to the party. Resident Evil 7 and 2, Monster Hunter World and Devil May Cry all made appearances at past E3. Fingers crossed for the return of Dino Crisis or Onimusha!

I'll be watching it, but then again, I always watch the big 3.

But I will say that this is the most interested I've ever been in Microsoft's conference. Something about their behaviour towards inclusivity lately is very fascinating.

Edited by Glen-i

Not to be a downer but they have been putting out the times for the other conferences in a schedule on Twitter for the past couple of days, with the only ones missing being the VR focused one, the Limited Run games one and the Kidna Funny Games Showcase.

I suspect they'll mention Nintendo but I don't think there'll be a big thing made out of it, certainly not game announcements for the Switch. I could be wrong but I see them going all in on they're on content and giving Nintendo the opportunity to announce any ports of the likes of Ori come Tuesday. Just my thoughts and I'd happily be wrong but I think they're just going to double down on what they've got, with Scarlett and XCloud.

I'll be watching Microsoft's conference. :D

And I bet there'll be something Nintendo related in it but who knows at this point.

I’ll be watching the conference. Not all that interested but I at least want to see some more info on the PC version of Gamepass.

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I’ll be watching the conference. Not all that interested but I at least want to see some more info on the PC version of Gamepass.

They put out the news earlier today that it'll be £3.99 a month for Game Pass on PC. Game wise, Wario64’s posted this earlier on Twitter (I hope that works, I've no idea how to put a Twitter link into the forum): https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1137738500076294144?s=09

3 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

They put out the news earlier today that it'll be £3.99 a month for Game Pass on PC. Game wise, Wario64’s posted this earlier on Twitter (I hope that works, I've no idea how to put a Twitter link into the forum): https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1137738500076294144?s=09

Yeah I’ve seen the stuff that already came out. Just waiting to see if we get more on it.

Ori slipping to next year sucks but hopefully the wait will be worth it. Just that little bit longer.

Edited by Ganepark32

Just now, Ganepark32 said:

Ori slipping to next year sucks but hopefully the wait will be worth it. Just that little bit longer.

Yeah, I was shocked by the date. Game looks lovely though.

Not going to lie, that Microsoft Flight Simulator actually got me hyped :D looks absolutely stunning! 

• Haha 1