NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Cannot thank you enough. Looks like I just made it, £405 white X with Forza. Thank you!!

No probs. Enjoy your new Xbox. 

• Like 4

Hooked up my brand new X, my first Xbox.

Positives

The controller is stupidly comfortable. Maybe not as much as the Switch Pro, but waaaaay better than the DS4. Unlike the Switch Pro it actually looks lovely too, really beautiful design. Not sure why the D-pad needs to make such a loud clicking sound though :blank:

The hardware design itself is stunning, especially in white. Looks lovely. Easily the best looking "traditional" console this gen.

Negatives

I'll never complain about the PS4 interface ever again. Xbox One has probably the worst UI I've ever seen. It's a total mess, and really unpolished as well. Horrible. Maybe I've been spoilt by the snappy, clean Switch OS.

11 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Hooked up my brand new X, my first Xbox.

Positives

The controller is stupidly comfortable. Maybe not as much as the Switch Pro, but waaaaay better than the DS4. Unlike the Switch Pro it actually looks lovely too, really beautiful design. Not sure why the D-pad needs to make such a loud clicking sound though :blank:

The hardware design itself is stunning, especially in white. Looks lovely. Easily the best looking "traditional" console this gen.

Negatives

I'll never complain about the PS4 interface ever again. Xbox One has probably the worst UI I've ever seen. It's a total mess, and really unpolished as well. Horrible. Maybe I've been spoilt by the snappy, clean Switch OS.

I've been waiting for your thoughts on the UI. Yup, it's an absolute travesty and it has been from the start of the generation. Apparently it's supposed to be much better than it was but it still looks a complete mess to me.

The controller is great. It's only a small evolution from the 360 controller and that's totally fine as that controller was fantastic and one of my favorites from any console.

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've been waiting for your thoughts on the UI. Yup, it's an absolute travesty and it has been from the start of the generation. Apparently it's supposed to be much better than it was but it still looks a complete mess to me.

The controller is great. It's only a small evolution from the 360 controller and that's totally fine as that controller was fantastic and one of my favorites from any console.

It looks like the kind of thing designed by committee, a million opinions on what to do. I can't believe how bad it is.

I found the 360 controller quite ugly design-wise, but this is just lovely. Fits in your hands so perfectly and seems really high quality too.

Anyway, after a couple of hours I'm now at 99% install for Red Dead... here goes...

The only good thing about the Xbox UI is ‘Pins’. Having all your game thumbnails pinned looks really nice. Especially when you’re like me and @Mike1988uk and have every RE game and Sonic game and have them all laid out in order. 

That, I like. I also find it much faster than when the console launched and improved since then, but still the worst compared to PS4 and Switch. 

Agree re controller. It’s great. 

• Thanks 1

Just a quick reminder that X018 is this weekend. 

We’ll be celebrating an incredible holiday season for gamers with our biggest episode of Inside Xbox yet, including news, interviews, great deals, and much more. Guests include Head of Xbox Phil Spencer, Head of Microsoft Studios Matt Booty, Minecraft Studio Head Helen Chiang and many, many more.

Tune in for games including Crackdown 3, Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Forza Horizon 4 and of course, we’ll have a surprise or two as well.

Will we have Xbox Game Pass news? Do we ever! We’ll be making over a dozen game announcements for Xbox Game Pass.

As always is the case with MS events, I will be eagerly awaiting news of any new projects by Rare or appearances from any of their IP. I wonder if Battletoads will finally be shown off? 

• Thanks 1

Started watching this thinking it'd be a bit like a Nintendo Direct. 30 minutes in, it's more like E3 2018 round 2.

4 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Started watching this thinking it'd be a bit like a Nintendo Direct. 30 minutes in, it's more like E3 2018 round 2.

It's supposed to be about 2 hours long.

And it's over. Not great but not a total train wreck. It was a essentially a 2 hour advertisement for DLC and Game Pass. The Game Pass announcements were very top heavy, with the latter ones being pretty poor.

Its good that MS are quoting more studios (Obsidian finally confirmed) but they are all Western based and does nothing to add diversity to the line up of games.

Rare and their IPs continue to be underutilized. :( 

Another major absence from this was an new announcements or even talk of original Xbox BC games. That initiative seem to have stalled which is a shame given how many great games are trapped on that platform. 

The format for this was pretty bad, the hosts shouldn't have to try and shout over the crowd. Just sounded like chaos.

The Obsidian Entertainment deal becomes official, about time really as that one's been cooking for some time going by all the industry talk over the last year or so. Almost thought they weren't going to announce it when they announced that Inxile is also becoming a Microsoft studio, especially with the similarities between the two studios.

Still, two good acquisitions and again, a reinforcement of the previous sentiment that they're keeping studios independent (such as what Ninja Theory suggested) is good to hear as it'll allow them to create the game and content they want. Definitely a becoming a strong stable of first party studios that covers a breadth of genres, whether it gives Microsoft what they need to compete in terms of first party output remains to be seen (and that's especially questionable with Compulsion Games as We Happy Few was atrocious).

As for the show, it wasn't particularly great. Could easily have cut the guff out and maybe should have dialled back on the plants in the audience as it just seemed forced at times. Still no release date on the Ori sequel is a disappointment. Not much in the way of new announcements and a lot of "wait for The Game Awards", perhaps should've been pre-recorded.

Looks like MS are set to release a new budget Xbox One next year.

The Scarlett devices are Microsoft’s next-gen consoles and are not expected until 2020 but in 2019, the company is planning to release a disc-less console. And if this is making you nervous because you have a large collection of physical discs for your current Xbox, Microsoft has you covered.

In addition to the new console, there will be a ‘disc-to-digital’ program that, as the name states, turns your physical games into digital downloads. The idea is that you can take your disc to a participating retailer (like the Microsoft store) and trade in your disc for a digital download.

The goal with the new console is to lower the price point for the hardware. Currently, it costs about $299 to buy into the Xbox One family of devices, Microsoft is looking to lower that price by possibly as much as $100; the new console price point is expected to be $200 or less.

• Thanks 1

Hell to the no! :shakehead

Sure, I can see that this might be right for some consumers but... that sounds like furthering the demise of physical games, something I'm not keen to support at all.

I don't have a huge amount of Xbox One games, but I do have a fair few Xbox 360 games plus Xbox Original games as well.

Imagine if the program extended to Xbox Original games... trade in my copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta for a digital download and lose over half the value in the process? Nope! :p

I know... it'll be just for Xbox One titles probably and there are loads of people who will buy it, especially if it's half the price of a disc-based console, so it's good for them at least.

Personally, I can see the negatives outweighing the positives by a large margin. ::shrug:

If they get the price down really low and pair the console with Game Pass then it will be a winner.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

If they get the price down really low and pair the console with Game Pass then it will be a winner.

Oh yeah, definitely... it IS a good business decision for them.

It just saddens me when I see them trying to really push digital downloads over discs and cartridges.

But it will sell, of course which is the bottom line and MS definitely need to do something.

18 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Looks like MS are set to release a new budget Xbox One next year.

Well, that came out of nowhere. I think I saw the Xbox One S selling for ~£240 the other day, and I prefer physical media like @S.C.G so I’d probably get one of those over a disc-free version, but there’s definitely a place in the market for a games console with an RRP of below £200. It won’t help them catch up to Sony (this generation at least), by any means, but that’s a very aggressive way to push out Games Pass and have more gamers considering the Xbox One as a supplementary console to their PS4 and/or Switch.

Plus, I suppose from a business perspective, this would help them to prepare manufacturing processes for a disc-free Scarlett, as well as probably better prepare employees at brick and mortar stores for the inevitable questions about a disc-free console/service such as Scarlett.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Below finally has a release date.

Jesus. I thought this day would never come.

Can't wait to dive in though, hope the reviews are good. They deserve it after such a long dev time

If anyone happens to spot an Xbox One S selling for cheap somewhere could you let me know? Keen to buy one for a mate. Currently about £180/190 everywhere I look.

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

If anyone happens to spot an Xbox One S selling for cheap somewhere could you let me know? Keen to buy one for a mate. Currently about £180/190 everywhere I look.

I think that's about as cheap as you're going to get. I know on BF they were £170 so them being close to £180 so close to Christmas seems like a decent deal.

• Like 1

Similar to the PS4 stats you can get (although they are for all time), XBOX are doing a ‘year in review’ which i wouldn’t mind seeing. 

Every time i try to access it, it asks me to ‘click to sign in’ which i do and it’s just contstantly stuck in a loop of taking you back to the main page to sign in. :confused:

Typical XBOX with crap UI making it impossible to access basic information. Ive given up! 

• Like 1

I actually sold my Xbox 1 X end of last year! How times have changed!! It’s all about the switch and PS4 for me now.