NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

51 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Cancelled my game pass subscription with MGSV coming out this month on Gold; that'll keep me entertained and hopefully drag me away from The Division once the GE has finished, so I'll have to wait until I'm back on the get to play this, or if Lucky is in a sale I'll be tempted to pick it up out right :)

My suggestion is just play the intro of MGSV (because that intro is damn fantastic!) and then play MGS3 instead. V is fun to play in ways and is technically quite impressive, but it just doesn’t grab you in the same way. A failing of the open world I think. 

36 minutes ago, Nolan said:

My suggestion is just play the intro of MGSV (because that intro is damn fantastic!) and then play MGS3 instead. V is fun to play in ways and is technically quite impressive, but it just doesn’t grab you in the same way. A failing of the open world I think. 

I played 3 on the 3DS back in the day (my only time with it) which was brilliant, must go back through some of those MGS games at some point...

Anyway I digress, I'll try and stick with V as much as possible, but it's that reason I never bought it outright in the first place, and I'm patient (been waiting three years for this...)

You may be in luck because I believe the HD collection is playable on Xbox One. 

• Like 1

I downloaded the Super Lucky's Tale DLC today and couldn't put it down! It's really great, hard as nails and changes up the formula a bit so it feels nice and fresh, these are set challenges now so it's mainly a case of surviving until the end of the stage instead of collecting the L U C K Y pieces and 300 coins. 

The levels are hard as nails too! This is certainly one to play after you've completed the main game. I also really love the aesthetics. It's split up into three parts, a 'puzzle' part which is a bunch of those Super Monkey Ball/ marble type levels, fighting levels which are remixed battles and arenas and my fabourite part, a bunch of new super hardcore platform levels.

Each level has a hotdog which is quite hard to obtain, like Mario gold coins. I've completed everything but I just have 3 hotdogs left to get and given the time I think I'll leave that until tomorrow haha. 

I got some funky new glasses. And check out that achievement art!

b3v7a1.jpg

15pk7rs.jpg

Edited by Josh64
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So I went to check if I had any time left on my Game Pass subscription...turns out it had expired but, Microsoft clearly saw through my feeble resistance and as part of their deals with gold had another month on game pass for £1 instead of £7.99 (might have something to do with a drop off after Sea of Thieves perhaps...) 

Anyway the thought of more Lucky was enough to drop that pound and another £5 for the DLC, looks like I'm getting Lucky tonight! 

• Haha 2

I got Lucky free with my Rift, but it felt kinda generic on my first play, do I need to give it another go?

Today the Xbox One was/is stupidly cheap on the John Lewis website/instore. If I hadn't missed out on the online, I would've probably bought one.

3 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Today the Xbox One was/is stupidly cheap on the John Lewis website/instore. If I hadn't missed out on the online, I would've probably bought one.

How much was it?

Or £260 for the One X with Gears of War. Apparently it may be £250 in store, too...

On 09/05/2018 at 3:38 PM, Shorty said:

I got Lucky free with my Rift, but it felt kinda generic on my first play, do I need to give it another go?

Hmm, I mean it's not amazing...I can't really disagree with saying it's generic, I think I've just enjoyed it after being dissapointed by Yooka and crying out for a 3D platformer! 

If you still have it i would recommend playing through a few of the world's though, it's over very quickly so shouldn't take up too much of your time :)

Finished off the Lucky DLC yesterday, quite a different experience from the main game! 

Mainly, it was a lot harder. Certainly the skill levels (divided up into approx 6 skill, 3 boss battle and 6 puzzle levels) and while the boss and puzzle I did in an hour all together,  the skill actually took me a few sittings as some of them became quite tricky.

Enjoyable addition, although pure fun wise I enjoyed the Gilly's Island DLC as it was more of what had come before it.

Interesting playing this at the same time as DKTF too; the lack of polish in Lucky is very evident, things like getting stuck in scenery, shoddy collision detection against enemies and collectables became even more noticeable.

Still, I'll have some more DLC if there's any going in the future!

• Like 1

Read about the controller a couple of days ago.

Sony and Nintendo should follow suit (unless they have and I missed it somehow). Maybe they could all work together with Microsoft. Would be awesome.

31 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Sony and Nintendo should follow suit (unless they have and I missed it somehow). 

Indeed they should. This is the first of it's kind. Phil Spencer has even said that anyone is welcome to copy the design.

"I will never turn this into a Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft [competitive] thing," head of Xbox Phil Spencer said at the event. "Anybody, literally anybody who wants to learn from the work we’ve done here—or even try to do more than that with the work we’ve done here—I’m completely open to that. it doesn’t have to have an Xbox logo on it. Let's just allow more people to play."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That's really awesome, should have been made years ago. However, how much gear do you have to buy in order for it to work with you? Seemed to be quite the elaborate setup.

"I will never turn this into a Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft [competitive] thing," head of Xbox Phil Spencer said at the event. "Anybody, literally anybody who wants to learn from the work we’ve done here—or even try to do more than that with the work we’ve done here—I’m completely open to that. it doesn’t have to have an Xbox logo on it. Let's just allow more people to play."

Amazing. :peace:

"Let's just allow more people to play" might be my favourite quote when it comes to video games these days.

Yeah its utterly fantastic, both as a product/imitative itself but also the fact it's one of the biggest tech/gaming companies in the world throwing their weight behind it.  It's a huge achievement and should be lauded for their ambition.  I hope it is the start of more companies taking accessibility seriously.

If Reggie has come out with that claim I'd have rolled my eyes, but I always feel like Phil Spencer is incredibly likeable and genuine, so good on him and Microsoft for this!

Bringing them crashing back down to reality though, although it's sitting on 72 on Metacritic (for what that's worth) State of Decay 2 is getting some dreadful write ups, especially Eurogamer's; sounds like it's broken and unfinished. 

MS need to get their games in order and fast, the fact Super Lucky's Tale is one of the better options to play on their at the moment says it all!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Bringing them crashing back down to reality though, although it's sitting on 72 on Metacritic (for what that's worth) State of Decay 2 is getting some dreadful write ups, especially Eurogamer's; sounds like it's broken and unfinished. 

MS need to get their games in order and fast, the fact Super Lucky's Tale is one of the better options to play on their at the moment says it all!

Yeah, I was reading the reviews earlier and it sounds a bit of a mess and very buggy. Game Pass will no doubt be the gateway for people who want to play or try it out. 

E3 is gonna be very interesting for MS. They need a big exclusive to show that they are listening to fans of the system and Crackdown 3 ain't going to cut it. The problem is that it takes a long time to get a game made and we may not see the results for while.

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I was reading the reviews earlier and it sounds a bit of a mess and very buggy. Game Pass will no doubt be the gateway for people who want to play or try it out. 

E3 is gonna be very interesting for MS. They need a big exclusive to show that they are listening to fans of the system and Crackdown 3 ain't going to cut it. The problem is that it takes a long time to get a game made and we may not see the results for while.

Agreed about Crackdown 3; for me it's going to have to be new IP's though, if they trot out Halo 6, Gears 5, Forza whatever I'm going to be underwhelmed.

Alternatively, they've secured exclusivity on some third party games or something like that. I just can't tell how their E3 is going to go, it'll either tear the house down or be one of the final nails in the One's/Xbox as a whole's coffin.

2 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Agreed about Crackdown 3; for me it's going to have to be new IP's though, if they trot out Halo 6, Gears 5, Forza whatever I'm going to be underwhelmed.

Alternatively, they've secured exclusivity on some third party games or something like that. I just can't tell how their E3 is going to go, it'll either tear the house down or be one of the final nails in the One's/Xbox as a whole's coffin.

Although it won’t be exclusive, everything seems to be pointing to Cyberpunk 2077 being on Xbox’s stage next month, which I think could be pretty big for them. 

I just don’t know what they do right now. Do they go all-in this year, despite being some thirty million units or so behind the PS4, to go out on a final hurrah? Or do they save their big reveals for their next console? Bigger question yet: will there be a next console? They aren’t ever going to find their way into the Japanese market in a noticeable way, despite a number of attempts, so should they instead focus on serving only a Western audience? Or is that what they’ve been trying to do anyway?

Personally, I’d like to pick an XBO up at some point, just because of the BC, but I don’t feel like I’m in any rush to do so because there aren’t any major releases coming from/exclusive to them which would make me purchase one before the end of this generation. 

Maybe they should throw a lot of money to use some currently dormant licenses? Throwing money at Konami in particular comes to mind, as that’s all they seem to care about now these days anyway. Would a Metal Gear Solid 4K Remake Collection, a new Silent Hills game and Suikoden VI do much for them? I think it could, and I feel like the concept of the latter in particular (picking up some dormant JRPG franchise licenses) could help them make some sort of significant movement over in the East. 

19 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Although it won’t be exclusive, everything seems to be pointing to Cyberpunk 2077 being on Xbox’s stage next month, which I think could be pretty big for them. 

I just don’t know what they do right now. Do they go all-in this year, despite being some thirty million units or so behind the PS4, to go out on a final hurrah? Or do they save their big reveals for their next console? Bigger question yet: will there be a next console? They aren’t ever going to find their way into the Japanese market in a noticeable way, despite a number of attempts, so should they instead focus on serving only a Western audience? Or is that what they’ve been trying to do anyway?

Personally, I’d like to pick an XBO up at some point, just because of the BC, but I don’t feel like I’m in any rush to do so because there aren’t any major releases coming from/exclusive to them which would make me purchase one before the end of this generation. 

Maybe they should throw a lot of money to use some currently dormant licenses? Throwing money at Konami in particular comes to mind, as that’s all they seem to care about now these days anyway. Would a Metal Gear Solid 4K Remake Collection, a new Silent Hills game and Suikoden VI do much for them? I think it could, and I feel like the concept of the latter in particular (picking up some dormant JRPG franchise licenses) could help them make some sort of significant movement over in the East. 

Reading that has brought an idea to mind; there were rumours that MS were going to be buying EA...well how about like you say they pick up some of those Konami/dormant licenses, specifically PES, plough money in to it to get licenses and have their own football franchise with an established player base?

Clutching at straws though, but yeah like Sony got with the Shenmue 3 reveal, they need that sort of goodwill big moment to really get them back in the right sphere for the Xbox Two (or whatever it'll be called).

I think they've actually done a lot right, like this accessible controller, building their own streaming service (Mixer) into the console, cross play, game pass...yet they are missing the most crucial aspect, games! 

I think your initial point about being so far behind the PS4 now, they've got these building blocks in place, keep sorting out that side of it and then when the new console comes out save the big games for that.