NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Welcome to modern gaming. I often check people's trophies and find a lot of gamers don't give a game time to sink in and instead choose to keep jumping from game to game, without actually having finished one. It doesn't help that games have become very cheap so people end up buying more than they can actually play. They then become overwhelmed by choice and, again, end up not actually playing things all the way through. I find the whole thing baffling and don't understand how it can be satisfying playing games like that? ::shrug:

I remember back in the GameCube days I bought Eternal Darkness and Starfox Adventures on the same day (they may have been released on the same day in fact, or perhaps a week apart) either way in the end Starfox suffered as I was playing both every evening until eventually I got fed up of making no progress in either and focussed on one.

I said to @nekunando yesterday listening to Podcast Unlocked whenever one of them brings up a game that they love, the other invariably say "I played a couple of hours of it, enjoyed it, meaning to get back to it..." Fair enough they probably have a lot of games on their plates, but still I agree with you, how can you form judgement or, even, enjoy a game after only a few hours? I get "parking games" like me with Yooka on Switch; I've played 16 odd hours I think, 90 Pagies so not quite seen the final boss yet, but I've enjoyed it and will go back to it and feel I've played enough to know I'll enjoy finishing it off eventually.

In OOT you'd probably just have got to the Great Deku Tree in an hour or so (first time); that's barely scratched the surface.

To go back to Lucky, it actually felt like a good fit for me, baring in mind what we spoke about in the MH thread last week; short, snappyish levels and worlds, more to do if you want it and a good feeling of progression already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

To go back to Lucky, it actually felt like a good fit for me, baring in mind what we spoke about in the MH thread last week; short, snappyish levels and worlds, more to do if you want it and a good feeling of progression already.

Lucky is a really relaxing game. It's not ground breaking by any means but it's a decent game to play when you're tired but want to actually play something. It certainly doesn't require high levels of concentration! 

It's decent enough though. :)

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Well, if a game is not enjoyable to a person, why would he continue playing it? There have been games that I've played for 10 minutes and thought: fuck it, this is boring.

Yeah. but when you go through a persons trophy list and find that they haven't finished the majority of their games, you have to question whether gaming is a hobby they should be investing in.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah. but when you go through a persons trophy list and find that they haven't finished the majority of their games, you have to question whether gaming is a hobby they should be investing in.

I better stay quiet on that front. Been guilty of that during several times of my life, such as right now. :D

I agree, though. If this is what a person's whole "gaming life" is like then...why even bother with video games?

51 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

I said to @nekunando yesterday listening to Podcast Unlocked whenever one of them brings up a game that they love, the other invariably say "I played a couple of hours of it, enjoyed it, meaning to get back to it..." Fair enough they probably have a lot of games on their plates, but still I agree with you, how can you form judgement or, even, enjoy a game after only a few hours? 

This is something I've also noticed on various podcasts. I mean, if you were enjoying the game so much then why stop playing it for another game? I can understand if its a long haul of a game, like an RPG or something, but a lot of games have campaigns of only about 7-10 hours. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

I better stay quiet on that front. Been guilty of that during several times of my life, such as right now. :D

I agree, though. If this is what a person's whole "gaming life" is like then...why even bother with video games?

We all go through gaming ruts where you jump from game to game or go back to comfort gaming. You are pretty good at finishing games. I could go through your trophy list and see that you do finish stuff. I'm not talking about getting platinums but more of simply finishing the campaign of the game.

I suppose i'm being a little to judgmental here. At the end of the day, if people get joy from just playing bits and bobs of various games then who am I to judge how they spend their time and money? People probably think i'm nuts for doing things like trophy hunting or putting 270 hours into Monster Hunter. I guess we all play games differently. :peace:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

We all go through gaming ruts where you jump from game to game or go back to comfort gaming. You are pretty good at finishing games. I could go through your trophy list and see that you do finish stuff. I'm not talking about getting platinums but more of simply finishing the campaign of the game.

Ah I see, I misunderstood the word "finished", which isn't surprising considering it is you who brought that up :p

People probably think i'm nuts for doing things like trophy hunting or putting 270 hours into Monster Hunter.

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

After 5 hours, Super Lucky is complete! Well, to the final boss, still bits and bobs to do...

If I'd paid £20 for it at launch, I think I would have been miffed; what looks like the hardest achievement is just pure grinding which doesn't suit this game, so can't imagine I would have gone for that or will do.

Probably would have been the perfect game to launch Game Pass with as I feel like I've got a deal out of it for a day's worth of play. Not sure I'll get the DLC, might let the dust settles first. Think next game I'll tackle is ReCore.

ReCore was a pretty enjoyable experience. Though I did fall out of playing it (the aforementioned issues of spreading too thin between games). 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Back to the positivity in this thread...

So i activated my game pass trial last night, with a week to go before Sea of Thieves. Also fancied a go on a few of the games on there already, starting with Super Lucky's Tale...consider me a fan like @Aneres11 and @Josh64

It has its limitations, a few bugs here and there, and I'm not sure how I would have felt having paid £20 for it...but I've really enjoyed the atmosphere its created so far! In my head this is what I imagine Conker 64 would have been before it became Bad Fur Day.

I wouldn't say it does anything particularly original, but it is full of joy and I've just finished off the first two worlds this morning. Hoping to get it finished tonight when my lad is asleep again, providing it carries on the same trajectory of level lay outs. 

Like MH on Xbox though, the achievements give a way just how much people have played the game; I got a rare achievement, under 10% of those who have played it...have beaten the second world boss! Shocking statistic.

That is a shocking statistic! I can’t remember it being so low so maybe the availability of it on GamePass has screwed the percentages more - I first played on disc.

hope you go for 100%! There’s something very relaxing about rinsing the levels of all their collectibles 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josh64 said:

That is a shocking statistic! I can’t remember it being so low so maybe the availability of it on GamePass has screwed the percentages more - I first played on disc.

hope you go for 100%! There’s something very relaxing about rinsing the levels of all their collectibles 

I don't know if the system is borked or not, but 35% have the collect 99,000 (or whatever amount it is)coins...so more people have done that than bothered to get past the 2nd world?! 

Bizzare, anyway had some time this morning, thought about ReCore...but decided to finish this off instead! Picked up all the clovers in the game and all the achievements bar the 30,000 and aforementioned 99,000 coin one, incredibly easy but pleasantly enjoyable! 

I am now tempted to get the DLC, tropical setting looks like it could beat the Veggie Patch world for my favourite!

• Thanks 1

Microsoft is planning to launch its new Xbox Live Avatars next month. The software giant first unveiled the redesigned avatars at E3 last year, and originally planned to provide them to Windows 10 users by the end of 2017. Microsoft missed that target, but sources familiar with the company’s Xbox plans tell The Verge that it will preview the new avatars to Xbox Insiders this month. Microsoft’s Xbox employees already have access to the new avatar system, and the Xbox Alpha group of testers will get access first before they’re broadly available next month.

The new avatars will let you fully customize your online character with new body type options, clothing, and props. Microsoft is offering a variety of options that focus on diversity, and the company’s original trailer showed an amputee, playful costumes, wheelchairs, skateboards, and even motorbikes to highlight all of the props and customization that will be available.

We understand Microsoft is also planning to open an avatar store in May, allowing Xbox Live users to purchase props, clothing, and additional customizations for their avatars. The new avatars are designed in the Unity engine, making it a lot easier to customize them and add additional props. They’re designed to replace the avatars originally introduced alongside the Xbox 360 in 2008. Sources tell us that Microsoft will eventually allow third-party developers to build their own props and clothing, and sell these items in Microsoft’s digital store.

@Aneres11 wallet will cry. :D 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 1:34 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

@Aneres11 wallet will cry. :D 

Oh my God haha. Never a truer words spoken! 

Sounds amazing though. 

How do people find installing discs? My internet connection is typically quite bad so I mostly get physical games on PS4, download the odd update and I’m ready to go. 

On Xbox, with the disc it seems to hold about 1gb of data or less and the rest is downloaded from the internet. Is that right?? Happened with Super Lucky a couple months back where it said something ludicrous like ‘disc 300mb/300mb, download 200mb/8gb’ But because it was only 8gb didn’t seem too bad. 

Just got Doom and the same again, about 800mb downloaded off disc and now it says I need to download a further 55gb from the internet?? Is it labelled wrong? Because if this is the case then the discs are pretty useless right? 

I was under the impression that consoles could utilize both methods at the same time. Install from the disc while simultaneously downloading further data. I could be wrong though. 

Unless something has changed though I thought Internet was not required. I.E. perhaps try disconnecting the console and then attempting the install.

Another thing to keep in mind though is that Doom has received a number of substantial updates. There will be a fair amount of data not present on the disc. 

Edit: @Josh64

http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/install-xbox-one-games-faster-xb1/

It’s an older article but I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft has not addressed the issue yet. Basically even with Discs the console (used to?) default to downloading the data regardless. 

Edited by Nolan

Is anyone else’s gamerscore leaderboard not working? 

On the last day of March I completed Batman The Enemy Within which should have given me second place on the leaderboard but the score didn’t change. My actual gamerscore increased but the leaderboard didn’t. 

Sane with yesterday. Started playing Batman return to Arkham and unlocked a few achievements yesterday and nothing changed on leaderboard. Still showing as zero. 

I’m not actually arsed about leaderboards or where I am on it, it’s just the fact it isn’t updating! Anyone else noticed it?! 

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

51ZWVZCDQZL._SX425_.jpg

Loved that game. The sequel not so much.

Wouldn't that be a licensing nightmare?

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Loved that game. The sequel not so much.

Wouldn't that be a licensing nightmare?

Not as much as a nightmare as say the wrestling games we've spoken about recently, licensed games can still get re-released but it is tricky. I don't think it was ever popular enough that people would bother trying.

I'm kinda thinking about getting an Xbox One just as a 4k blu-ray player for The Matrix next month.

But that's a terrible idea, unless there are any other great reasons to get one?

The backwards compatibility is a nice draw too, could get my old 360 games out of the garage...

You have a gaming PC also don’t @Shorty? If so I’d say that limits the potential of the console some as many of its best games are also on PC.

Rare Replay Sunset Overdrive and Halo 5 are the ones that stand out most to me as only being available on the console and worth playing. If you don’t have a gaming PC there are still a number of other titles worth playing that elevate the console above just getting a standalone 4K player.

The BC does work well though and there are some rarer titles available I believe. 

I do have a decent PC and sometimes I forget that I need to check out Xbox One games on there...

I really want that 4k blu-ray in my living room though :blush:

Also if the posts above are saying what I think they're saying, original Xbox games will be available soon, too?

5 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Also if the posts above are saying what I think they're saying, original Xbox games will be available soon, too?

A selection of OG Xbox games already work on the One. These were made available last October and are:

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • Ninja Gaiden Black
  • Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
  • Fuzion Frenzy
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • Psychonauts
  • Dead to Rights
  • Black
  • Grabbed by the Ghoulies
  • Sid Meier’s Pirates!
  • Red Faction II
  • BloodRayne 2
  • The King of Fighters Neowave

The next batch gets announced next week.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Also of note that HoT did not list is the free release of the Phantom Dust remake. I semi count that as being OG Xbox 

• Thanks 1