NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:59 PM, Nolan said:

Halo 5 all around felt pretty poor. I never even finished it. Which is par for most my Xbone games. 

Recore is definitely a solid and fun game though, and Sunset Overdrive probably has most of my actual playtime. 

Like you, I'm just feeling that Halo 5 is poor. I wasn't interested in going online with it but playing the campaign is making me want to just get to the end and uninstall because it's really not that great. It's making me wish they'd remaster Halo Reach. I know a lot of people weren't keen on that game for various reasons but I loved the campaign there. The characters were great, the set pieces were also really well done and just generally, I thought it was a really strong campaign experience. So I'm holding hope that we see that at some point.

For the time being though, I'll continue my slog through the campaign and get back to Halo Wars 2 now it's updated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Like you, I'm just feeling that Halo 5 is poor. I wasn't interested in going online with it but playing the campaign is making me want to just get to the end and uninstall because it's really not that great. It's making me wish they'd remaster Halo Reach. I know a lot of people weren't keen on that game for various reasons but I loved the campaign there. The characters were great, the set pieces were also really well done and just generally, I thought it was a really strong campaign experience. So I'm holding hope that we see that at some point.

For the time being though, I'll continue my slog through the campaign and get back to Halo Wars 2 now it's updated.

Halo Reach is still my favourite Halo game.

• Like 1

Crackdown 3 delayed until next year.

Microsoft is delaying the release of Crackdown 3 from Nov. 7, 2017 to spring 2018, the company confirmed to Polygon today.

Shannon Loftis, Microsoft Studios Publishing general manager, said the company is delaying the Xbox One and Windows PC game to give development teams Reagent Games, Sumo Digital and Cloudgine extra time to ensure a quality experience.

“We’re very excited about Crackdown 3, and so are many fans, and so it’s a difficult call to move the release date,” Loftis said in an email interview with Polygon. “However, we want to make sure to deliver the right game, with the right quality, and at the right time. Crackdown 3 is a hugely ambitious game and we want to ensure we deliver the right experiences all the way through every part of the game, whether that’s campaign, co-op multiplayer or our competitive multiplayer mode, Wrecking Zone. Getting the balance right between the three modes is important, and we are going to take the extra development time to ensure that. Gamers can expect Crackdown 3 in Spring of 2018.”

Crackdown 3 was originally announced at E3 2014 and was, at one point, targeting a release in the second half of 2016. It’s clearly a complex project, one that has evolved since its unveiling, and Crackdown fans have learned to be patient waiting for it to come out.

“Crackdown 3 is an incredibly ambitious project that pushes the technological envelope with immersive true 4K gameplay, cloud-computing competitive multiplayer and a sprawling and futuristic open world,” Loftis said when asked about the challenges the development teams have faced over the years. “The team has been working extremely hard to deliver a great experience for fans and this extra time will help us do just that.”

There goes a big selling point for the X launch.

Not good news for the X, which seems destined to fall on its face anyway. 

I had a look at the new dashboard on the BETA program yesterday at Mike1988UK's. 

Looks much better but still seems like Microsoft are intent on taking some steps forward and even more back. Pins have no been reduced which is one of the things I use a lot on my One. There's a nicer menu now when you click the home button, similar-ish to what PS4 has. 

Lots of other little tweaks that look pretty good. You can pin individual friends to home now so they become almost like a card or page to scroll through. Gives info on what they're playing I believe but Mike didn't check with a friend who was online. It did show an achievement I had pinned somewhere on my profile from RE Revelations 2, which was odd! 

Looking forward to trying it out when it rolls out in Autumn anyway. But PS4 still so much more slick in day to day use. 

My One S no longer turns on at all. Or more accurately I think it straight up doesn't send a signal through HDMI any more. So it basically bricked itself. 

Microsoft bringing the big guns to Gamescom and showing why the X is an upgrade worth having.

DHslfUsW0AgQTcw.jpg

The show has been garbage so far.

• Like 3

I didnt even know they were having a conference. I'll probably just read the info that comes out of it tomorrow. I've not particularly got anything against Microsoft but I just cant bring myself to care about their stuff these days, despite still owning an Xbox One S.

9 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I didnt even know they were having a conference. I'll probably just read the info that comes out of it tomorrow. I've not particularly got anything against Microsoft but I just cant bring myself to care about their stuff these days, despite still owning an Xbox One S.

It's was more like a Treehouse show rather than a conference.

Theres nothing that came out of it, really. It was essentially a recap of E3. Microsoft must think European gamers dont watch E3 or something because most of the trailers were the same ones they showed back in June.

The show just solidified my thoughts on just how far Microsoft have fallen since the 360 days. 

• Like 1

By far the best part of the whole showing was the developer interview where they showed more footage of Cuphead and really gave more of an insight into what we can expect from it. :)

Plus the fact that it's a game which is coming out, soon but not soon enough yet when it does I can see it becoming an instant classic and it's great to have another semi-exclusive game coming to the Xbox One which is worth getting excited about. :D

34 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The show just solidified my thoughts on just how far Microsoft have fallen since the 360 days. 

They've fallen about 359 points.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Microsoft bringing the big guns to Gamescom and showing why the X is an upgrade worth having.

DHslfUsW0AgQTcw.jpg

The show has been garbage so far.

I bet they've got RARE working on all of these, too. 

• Like 1

Martin Robinson from Eurogamer has wrote a pretty spot on article about the X.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-21-microsofts-final-sales-pitch-for-xbox-one-x-falls-flat

As the allocated 90 minutes clocked up and we all began to think about the few short hours left until we drag ourselves up for the Monday commute, it was hard to make head or tail of what Microsoft's Gamescom show had set out to achieve. In an hour and a half of reheated E3 trailers and recaps, there was perhaps one announcement of a genuine exclusive for Xbox: a vertical console stand for the day one edition of the Xbox One X, as unpackaged by Major Nelson in an abandoned office on the other side of the world.

Whether this was a conference or not was neither here nor there, for Microsoft had requested the attention of an audience hungry for anything after a lacklustre E3, and staring down the barrel of an unconvincing Q4 for Xbox. This was an opportunity to convince the world that the Xbox One X was going to be a worthwhile bet this year, perhaps the last before the console's launch, but when the pre-orders went live at the close of the show it was difficult not to feel that the sales pitch had fallen a little flat.

The remasters announced to coincide with the Xbox One X were a curious bunch - there was ReCore, the loveable but slightly skewiff double-A adventure from last year, whose Definitive Edition's big boast was that a campaign that was clearly rushed out for last September might finally be finished, with one of the stars of the box art who was curiously absent in the original restored. There were true 4K editions of Disneyland Adventures, Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure and Zoo Tycoon, all perfect for the discerning seven-year-old in your household who throws a hissy fit at the mere mention of checkerboarding.

The leaks beforehand certainly robbed the show of some of its sheen - there were few surprises left come Sunday evening. It all brought up the same question that kept recurring again and again - who is this thing for, and what's Microsoft setting out to achieve with the Xbox One X? Its mantra, repeated ad infinitum in official material, is that this is The World's Most Powerful Console, and of that there's little doubt. It's the world's most handsome, too, a beautifully designed and improbably minuscule slab of technology that'd sit proudly under any television set, but while Microsoft's engineers have hit it out of the park, there's the nagging feeling that elsewhere in Redmond things aren't running quite so smoothly.

You can sense that in the same mistakes being made again; Microsoft stepped up its commitment to PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, backing a proven winner and this year's true phenomenon in what amounts to quite a coup for the Xbox brand, but the messaging was all over the place. This, it seems, is an exclusive in that very loose definition of the word, with all sorts of obfuscation being peddled out when it comes to future versions on other platforms. Maybe if Phil Spencer hadn't skipped this week's show he might have advised that, mindful of a Gamescom from the not-too-distant past and the muddied reveal of another Xbox 'exclusive', you can't pull the wool over people's eyes for too long.

There were better signs elsewhere, and the list of 100-plus games that will be receiving updates to make the most of the Xbox One X hardware makes for impressive reading - the promise of an improved and definitive console version of The Witcher 3 is almost enough alone to justify the upgrade, and elsewhere there's an appealing list of games that will benefit from a facelift. But at this point in the console lifecycle, Microsoft needs more than prettier versions of multiplatform games if it's to make serious inroads into Sony's considerable lead this generation.

The best reveal of the show, though Frontier's Jurassic World Evolution will also be heading to PS4 when it comes out next year. It needs new and exciting games, and just one reason to make the Xbox One X essential - an Uncharted, or a Breath of the Wild, to make the console's case for it. Forza Motorsport 7, as fine as it looks, doesn't quite cut it - alongside Gears of War and Halo, it feels like yesterday's news, and not the shot in the arm that's needed right now. You could argue that the PlayStation 4 Pro didn't have its own big showcase game, but given Sony's momentum and success so far this generation, it didn't really need one.

Maybe the small victories will be enough, and there are a fair few that Microsoft can claim. Cuphead looks as astounding as ever, and the early months of 2018 look relatively packed with Ori, Crackdown, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay all flying the flag. There's something appetising about Xbox being the underdog once more, and with Sony resurrecting its villain role from the PS3 days with such moves as its blocking of cross-platform play, it's hard not to root for Microsoft as it stages its own revival. Given how the Xbox One X has already sold out its initial allocation on Amazon UK, maybe they'll all prove to be enough.

Will it be enough to put Microsoft back on top? Of that I'm not so sure, but perhaps that's not the point - and maybe it never was. For all the bluster of the Xbox One X, and its proud claim to be the world's most powerful console, it seems right now its intentions are surprisingly modest. A boon for the fans, with a little exclusive vertical stand thrown in to boot. Given the hits the brand has taken over the past few years, staying upright might be all that can be asked for right now.

• Like 1

The Xbox one continues to be the shittiest console on the market. It’s now saying it can’t play normal blu rays on mine. Looking around the net it seems quite a common problem that never got fixed.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Happenstance said:

The Xbox one continues to be the shittiest console on the market. It’s now saying it can’t play normal blu rays on mine. Looking around the net it seems quite a common problem that never got fixed.

Use your PS4 and just throw the One in the bin.

I was using my PS4 but I didn’t want to have to keep swapping the discs out when I wanted to watch something or play a game. I figured I would throw the Xbox a bone and let it actually do something for a change but it couldn’t even play a simple dvd!

Oh for fucks sake. Now it can’t even get back to the home screen from Netflix. Just keeps saying something went wrong and sending me back to Netflix. Piece of shit!

Just wait until one day you update it and....we’ll thats it black screen of death. It’s been happening forever and still happens. That’s the case with my One S, the fix might be to download firmware to a usb stick, and somehow magically follow instructions that literally don’t work (and seem to switch halfway through from One S to vanilla One hardware) to boot into a safe mode of sorts. 

I gave up and it’s just sitting being awful upstairs where I don’t have to look at it.

• Like 1

Downloaded the latest dashboard update just now for the One. 

Finally an improvement. I don't ever really use my One too much anymore, but am thinking of picking up Forza 7 so thought I'd give the update a whirl and it's so far so good. 

Navigation seems a hell of a lot snappier, and now they've added more functionality to the home button press everything seems easier to access rather than being too tucked away. Whilst some of that 'hidden' feeling remains, it's nowhere near as bad as previous dashboard iterations. 

Bodes well for the X anyway. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Downloaded the latest dashboard update just now for the One. 

Finally an improvement. I don't ever really use my One too much anymore, but am thinking of picking up Forza 7 so thought I'd give the update a whirl and it's so far so good. 

Navigation seems a hell of a lot snappier, and now they've added more functionality to the home button press everything seems easier to access rather than being too tucked away. Whilst some of that 'hidden' feeling remains, it's nowhere near as bad as previous dashboard iterations. 

Bodes well for the X anyway. 

Nice!

I've been looking for a reason to power up my Xbox One, so that I can update it, charge my new controller and take half a day installing Forza 7, while I play on my Switch. :D

Looks like this is it! :peace:

Oh, and I've just remembered that I've got Cuphead still to play. :)

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

Well... not content with taking... long enough to install the 50GB of data required for Forza 7 and after updating the console and the new controller plus all other updates/games that I wanted to install while I was there to avoid doing it next time.

I thought to myself... let's play a quick game of Forza 7 to see what it's like...

*clicks launch*

back to dashboard

*clicks launch again*

32.01GB update!!!

*sigh*

Oh well... back to playing on my Switch. :D

Then some Forza 7 sometime before midnight... possibly. ::shrug:

In fairness, the new dashboard is at least better and everything is a bit quicker, so there's that. :p

• Haha 1

I didn't realise that the Xbox One X is out in a few weeks. Feels like there's no buzz for it at all.

Leaked list of the first wave of OG Xbox games heading for backwards compatability.

DMqamKZUQAIaiOX.jpg

Chuffed to bits KOTOR being part of the first wave.

• Like 1