NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

I bet EA is pissed that they hastily removed their online pass system now :p

I'll bet everyone here a bottle of scotch that both Sony & MS will have all but totally throttled boxed retail sales of anything by the end of this coming gen. Probably Nintendo too.

They can't even retract properly.

This is just so stupid.

How did Microsoft get their initial plans for the Xbox One so wrong? "We believe a lot in this digital future," Whitten said. "We believe it builds an amazing experience—the ability to have a broader sharing platform and my content coming with me, [but] what we heard is people still wanted more choice… they wanted the familiarity of the physical disc."

You can still accomplish those goals without used game DRM. It's just so stupid. Something so basic is so hard for them.

Actually I shouldn't be surprised. This is coming from the company (via Mattrick) that said backwards compatibility is backwards...

Edited by -Dem0-
Automerged Doublepost

It's the right move, probably their only move. In the eyes of gamers the damage has already been done, but I think it's going to be a much more competitive system now.

Quite amazed that they made this move so fast. I guess this online activation stuff wasn't so intrinsic to the Xbone One as they seem to suggest after all.

Quite amazed that they made this move so fast. I guess this online activation stuff wasn't so intrinsic to the Xbone One as they seem to suggest after all.

Yup. This is pretty funny in light of their cloud powered gaming BS. Gonna be funny to watch them spin that yarn around :laughing:

great news!!

once the price goes down in 2014 I am back on the xbox train.

Certain publishers gave MS some bad advice.

I wonder if they consulted EA first.... Bet thry are so upset now haha

I wonder if they consulted EA first.... Bet thry are so upset now haha

Afew days ago this news came up;

“EA has a position of looking at used games from a user standpoint and a gamer standpoint,” he said. “We will definitely be looking at gamer-first and creating an opportunity to have a relationship with used games such that it’s a positive experience.”

The company plans to release its games policy within the next couple of weeks, Gibeau said in a separate interview, and it will take into account things like its own now-abandoned attempt to restrict disc game resales called Online Pass, which did not do well with consumers. “The policy we do come out with will have that in mind,” he said, and it will likely be the same policy across all its console games. “A nuanced and sophisticated approach is important instead of a blunt instrument.”

It's funny that they do a 180 on this just as I was starting to see the positives in the idea. I love Steam and this service sounded a heck of a lot like it. Trading downloaded games, taking my collection with me anywhere without the disks... nobody thought about the positives. They were taking a chance on a new direction and now they buckled before anyone really started to understand it. Hm. Maybe next generation.

The perfect quote I have read regarding this whole mess:

"We tried to fuck you, but you spoke up and we still want your money, so just forget about that time we tried to fuck you, please?"

I find it amazing it took MS a while to change their mind given all the protests several months before the xbone unveiling. Just amazing it took this long.

Given the consumer outcry and hatred towards DRM lately they cant continue these practices. They are just too unpopular. Sim City lost a very large chunk of sales given its iconic status. Online pass for console games is basically dead. EA's brand is badly damaged and its painfully obvious whenever EA executives speak about these issues.

It goes to show that gamers are quite a vocal bunch :) This is a good thing.

Honestly? I still prefer ps4 but these were the key points that made me look to jump ship. I'd be interested now to see how they shape Gold. If they continue to realise that sony are the leaders then they may well continue to make amends. They know they're digging upwards now so perhaps it's possible we'll see some very aggressive "we so sorry" campaigns. There is still scope for making the system more attractive now, but they would have to give a lot more. I wouldn't put it past them to further sweeten the deal, considering so far the best moments we've had for both PS4 and Xbone are "we're going to do this thing the same as it was last generation".

For me, if PS+ offers a more comprehensive and appealing package than Gold then the decision is made. If microsoft can pull together a better benefits package then I can see things swaying.

Why would EA be pissed? They probably stopped Online Passes because they realised it was a stupid thing and was severely harming their image and starting to affect their business.

In the last few months they've seriously seem like a company who really wants to sort themselves out after being voted "worst company in America".

EA cancelled the online passes retroactively and they announced it not knowing about Sony - after it was announced the PS4 had none of this it was clear that there was no pressure from EA on the console manufacturers.

SimCity seemed to be the last game on this path. The CEO has changed and they already announced that The Sims won't do the same thing.

And announcing games like Battlefront and Mirror's Edge show that they're listening to gamers more. Criterion games have mentioned that they're working on their own thing (they're helping a bit with NfS, but it's not their main project), and Dead Space is on hold because four in a row is just too much.

It's a PR disaster that makes the company look like it is being run by clowns. Some of the ideas that they had were such obviously shit ideas that I'm surprised they got given the go ahead, including the crappy way in which it was handled.

Terrible which ever way you look at it. Yes, it's good that the console is now stripped of those features, but they should never have been there in the first place. We have just witnessed a historical moment in video-gaming history during these last few weeks/months.

Still getting PS4 @ launch but I will get an Xbox now once it drops below £400 and Halo 5 is out.

Xbox One DRM policy changes waited on gamers knowing “complete story”

Microsoft’s eyebrow-raising reversal of its Xbox One DRM policies has been in the works for some time, corporate vice president of Xbox Marc Whitten has said, but Microsoft wanted to tell the “complete story” before it made such a dramatic public reversal.

Speaking to Polygon, Whitten agreed that public opinion – cited by Xbox executive Don Mattrick as the primary motivator for the changes – has been strongly against DRM policies ever since they were first hinted at during the Xbox One reveal.

“What we wanted to do was tell our complete story,” Whitten said of the delay in letting gamers know things had changed.

“We knew our complete story was partially told at the Xbox One unveil and partially told at E3. We wanted to put our story out there and show the great games we have coming. We did that and people gave us a ton of feedback.”

The “complete story” included a number of features which, thanks to today’s reversal, have been thrown out the window – sharing your games library with up to nine other household members; taking your full games library to a friend’s house just by logging in on their machine; and the ability to play without a disc. These conveniences weren’t enough to keep gamers on side, it seems, so Microsoft has returned to a more conservative model.

There are some positive changes though, notably that the console will be region-free, but also should you take your disc to a friend’s house and install it there, they have the option to purchase it after you leave, saving them the hassle of getting their own disc; it will be as if they bought it from Xbox Live.

It’s worth remembering that the DRM changes don’t make the Xbox One an offline console; games which require cloud processing will need an always-on Internet connection, like any MMO or online multiplayer game.

“You have to be connected [for cloud processing to work]. All of the things that require the internet will require the console to connect. We want and expect most people to take advantage of those things, but we also want to give people the choice that they can play offline,” Whitten said.

Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.

“There are our policies and we are really excited about them. By adding them we have shown that we are definitly listening,” he said.

Oh..I see, making good news but really it was just spin.

How about the community demanding Nintendo make there hardware region free now. No consoles should be region locked!!!

Would that 10 family/friends sharing actually of worked? I cant see how publishers would of been happy about that.

Edited by liger05

Oh, i see now. Microsoft were never going to put the DRM into action to begin with. They just wanted public opinion, nice try chaps. Nice try indeed.

Oh, i see now. Microsoft were never going to put the DRM into action to begin with. They just wanted public opinion, nice try chaps. Nice try indeed.

It sounds like it is too late for them to remove it from launch consoles, hence the need for the day 1 patch.

My problem with the console is still not fixed.

Kinect can eat me.

Xbox One suddenly became a lot more attractive to the average gamer, but good to see the core crowd sticking their ground. I've got a feeling that the price tag is still going to hamper the sales, which is good. They deserve to get fucked for trying to pull this crap.