NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

Yeah, isn't Steam being taken to court in Germany or something because you can't sell games second-hand?

Yeah, isn't Steam being taken to court in Germany or something because you can't sell games second-hand?

Interesting. Looks like the first big thing to start bringing the EU's recent law about trading digital items into actual practice.

So it begins -

Gamestop’s stock goes down by 10% on Xbox 720 anti-used game rumor

Gamestop’s investors aren’t liking the new anti-used game rumor that sprouted today.

The massive retailer makes a lot of profit from used game sales, and it’s something that also sustains the company. Their stock has gone down by over 10% at the time of writing this article and it’s something that should really worry them.

Check out the screengrab below which shows the significant drop. You can check it out yourself on Google or Yahoo Finance.

Update: down 11% now.

gamestop.png

http://www.gamechup.com/gamestops-stock-goes-down-by-10-on-xbox-720-anti-used-game-rumor/

And so they shouldn't like it. It would completely destroy them if it came to fruition.

If I were Gamestop (or any retail gaming store), I'd be voicing my dissatisfaction with MS and threatening to pull support for the Xbox consoles in favour of Nintendo and Sony (assuming that the latter is not intending to follow suit)

Haha, I didn't want one anyway, but if it's always online and can't play 2nd-hand games, I won't even give it a 2nd look.

The always online thing troubles me. In the unfortunate circumstance that your net goes down for a few days you can't play the damned thing? Sounds ridiculous.

Always online is a big no no for me and I don't think it will sit too well in America either given their internet infrastructure is worse than ours I believe. They already have 2/3 of their users paying for Live as it is, so is this their attempt at turning that screw and trying to get an even greater number to join? It might well increase the percentage but I the absolute number of users would drop rather sharply I'd imagine.

As I said in the Sony thread, I don't like MS's new direction and whist I hope this isn't true and have difficulty believing even they'd go that far, it also wouldn't surprise me if they did.

And so they shouldn't like it. It would completely destroy them if it came to fruition.

If I were Gamestop (or any retail gaming store), I'd be voicing my dissatisfaction with MS and threatening to pull support for the Xbox consoles in favour of Nintendo and Sony (assuming that the latter is not intending to follow suit)

Rumours came from Sony's camp first tbf. It's hardly surprising, second hand sales have made a huge dent in first-hand sales which means much less money to the developers, and is why we get so much DLC and codes to play online. It was ok when second hand games were basically the bargain bin in the corner of EB, but now there's more pre-owned games than new, it's hard to tell the difference at a glance and the prices of recently released games are hardly any cheaper. Not surprising since the markup they put on vs what they trade for is worlds apart from the profit they make on new games.

I think its just a little thing they added as some of the websites beat everyone on the supposed leaks.

That'll bring in the hits.

Adding this: Microsoft-Studios-PLAY.jpg

I don't understand what you're showing me.

Rumours came from Sony's camp first tbf. It's hardly surprising, second hand sales have made a huge dent in first-hand sales which means much less money to the developers, and is why we get so much DLC and codes to play online. It was ok when second hand games were basically the bargain bin in the corner of EB, but now there's more pre-owned games than new, it's hard to tell the difference at a glance and the prices of recently released games are hardly any cheaper. Not surprising since the markup they put on vs what they trade for is worlds apart from the profit they make on new games.

On the other hand though, trade-ins of used games fund a huge part of the new game sales market in the first place...

If you take that away, you'll see a drop in sales of new games and even quicker price drops than what we're currently seeing.

But either way, I think that there's only two possible scenarios at play here. Either MS and Sony will collude and both implement similar systems in a (secret) mutual agreement, or neither one will do it. Going it alone would be ceding the market to the other competitor.

The entire blockbuster gaming model hinges on a "game of the month" mentality. If people can't trade their old tat in for the new hotness, they'll just stick to buying a couple of tentpole releases and that's it. The market will collapse for sure.

I don't understand what you're showing me.

A few XBLA games are getting released on Windows 8:

Microsoft just seem to be dropping the ball everywhere at the moment, pretty much everyone agrees Windows 8 is rubbish, Windows phone is far behind iOS/Android and now there is some serious questions being asked about the next Xbox.

Worrying times, oh and get rid of this disgusting Metro UI.

A few XBLA games are getting released on Windows 8:

Earth shattering. :hehe:

Just think of all those Microsoft Surface owners who will be able to play Rocket Riot 3D.

If the rumours of online only and no second hand gaming is true, then not only will it kill the already dying stores like GAME but, people won't buy the next generation. Well, i won't anyway and i'll stick to the 360 for all my needs. Got more than enough games to play.

I don't really care about it needing to be online 24/7 as my Xbox360 already is. Surely, you'll be able to play games offline. I can't see any reason not to have that possibility.

But the thing about second-hand games is awful news. I rarely buy them or trade them in but I like to have the opportunity to if I felt to. And I have bought a few pre-owned titles because I didn't want to pay much for them. Also, I have been borrowing games from a friend from time to time and that won't be accepted either. That's a major turn-off. However, I don't believe Microsoft is the only one doing this. Sony'll follow for sure.

Gaaah I hate all these rumours! I want solid infooooo! It's really exciting to finally have a new batch of consoles, as it's been far too long since the anticipation/megaton days.

I don't really care about it needing to be online 24/7 as my Xbox360 already is. Surely, you'll be able to play games offline. I can't see any reason not to have that possibility.

But the thing about second-hand games is awful news. I rarely buy them or trade them in but I like to have the opportunity to if I felt to. And I have bought a few pre-owned titles because I didn't want to pay much for them. Also, I have been borrowing games from a friend from time to time and that won't be accepted either. That's a major turn-off. However, I don't believe Microsoft is the only one doing this. Sony'll follow for sure.

don't bet on it, if its always online that means no functionality offline! think how some EA pc games like Command and Conquer 4 which required an internet connection to play it, no internet, no game

Given MS's insistance that live is the future of spam advertisement gaming and how they are pushing all its online connectivity features this sort of dick move seems perfectly feasible for them to go for.

As for second hand...i can see them doing that too, they always blame piracy and the second hand market for the poor sales of games, so a furthering to the online pass system and copying a pc's installation via activation codes seems "logical" for MS, especially since the NEXTbox is looking to be basically a PC

I'd already decided i wasn't getting another MS console with how its basically a third party machine now with no must have first party games, I'd rather have a WiiU and ps4 and have thrid party games on those, and their amazing 1st party ip's across both.

Sony if they follow this route may still get me buying a PS4, but it will be a year after launch and i'll be really selective for games

Maybe Nintendo could shine this gen if they are the only one allowing second hand, they will certainly win over retailers like GAMEstop

All in all its a complete dick move! theres always that game you miss that goes out of production, so you end up buying it on the secondary market, with this sort of action that is gone! no more missing a Tales game and getting it later,

Not forgetting no taking a game to a friends house to show it off

just a disgusting tactic that will ultimately be their downfall

don't bet on it, if its always online that means no functionality offline! think how some EA pc games like Command and Conquer 4 which required an internet connection to play it, no internet, no game

Given MS's insistance that live is the future of spam advertisement gaming and how they are pushing all its online connectivity features this sort of dick move seems perfectly feasible for them to go for.

As for second hand...i can see them doing that too, they always blame piracy and the second hand market for the poor sales of games, so a furthering to the online pass system and copying a pc's installation via activation codes seems "logical" for MS, especially since the NEXTbox is looking to be basically a PC

I'd already decided i wasn't getting another MS console with how its basically a third party machine now with no must have first party games, I'd rather have a WiiU and ps4 and have thrid party games on those, and their amazing 1st party ip's across both.

Sony if they follow this route may still get me buying a PS4, but it will be a year after launch and i'll be really selective for games

Maybe Nintendo could shine this gen if they are the only one allowing second hand, they will certainly win over retailers like GAMEstop

All in all its a complete dick move! theres always that game you miss that goes out of production, so you end up buying it on the secondary market, with this sort of action that is gone! no more missing a Tales game and getting it later,

Not forgetting no taking a game to a friends house to show it off

just a disgusting tactic that will ultimately be their downfall

Very unlikely Nintendo will shine in the sense that they won't get a lot of multiplatform must-have titles due to the WiiU being utterly outranked in hardware again. No doubt the WiiU will do well selling games people like, but I don't see it being considered as an alternative to the PS4/Durango given I don't think it will see a lot of the same games.

So a Windows 8 style interface and Siri-voice commands are todays rumours.

So more or less like the current 360 ;)