NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

I bet that they will have PS3 BC... but you'll either have to pay extra for a model that has the PS3 hardware inside, or get the cheaper model that plays PS3 games via Gaikai streaming.

For the sake of fuck. Well my budget this month requires me to choose between a PS3 and a record player. This is the kind of decision that pushes people to sucking dicks for a living.

Well instead of getting a record player you could get spotify and join the 21st century ::shrug: I know they're the in thing for hipsters right now but really...

I'll eat my iPad if the PS4 is backward compatible. Not happening.

It better be compatible. That iPad is now fearing for its life.

I'm sure @Daft is right. These things (Orbis and Durango) are basically meant to be PCs, ie. very, very different to the PS3.

I bet that they will have PS3 BC... but you'll either have to pay extra for a model that has the PS3 hardware inside, or get the cheaper model that plays PS3 games via Gaikai streaming.
It sounds good in theory and Sony did purchase Gaikai, but do the UK and the US have reliable enough broadband services/connections to be able to rely all that heavily on internet streaming though do they? It's a different situation in Japan of course.

It sounds good in theory and Sony did purchase Gaikai, but do the UK and the US have reliable enough broadband services/connections to be able to rely all that heavily on internet streaming though do they? It's a different situation in Japan of course.

Not really, but that's why they'd offer two different models ;)

At least that way they can advertise the fact that it plays your old PS3 games...

Well instead of getting a record player you could get spotify and join the 21st century ::shrug: I know they're the in thing for hipsters right now but really...

I already have a Spotify subscription, but I also have a bunch of vinyl kicking around (some of it from kickstarters I funded)...and I like the physicality of it. Don't think I'll bother right now though, since a good quality record player needs a lot of monetary input.

I suppose this reveal does tell us where the next gen is heading. MS want to go after a TV OS in a sense. Overlays havent taken off but they are in use. Google Tv uses it as do tv boxes , players etc. Kinect has a chance to take the casuals now as WiiU is aimed at the hardcore.

They can offer the service but set limits. Its up to them to decide what is the cut off point.

Gakai worked really well in the browser. Picture quality was great (much better than what most pc/laptops can play their games at) and the response rate was surprisingly good. Trackmania was actually very playable. It did run at 30 fps though.

All this was tested on a 8-9Mb connection at the time on a pc wired to the internet. They clearly have better tech or techniques than Onlive. Its worth pointing out that there is no nonsense either. Loading is fast and you dont have to mess around setting games up which is annoying on pc games.

Convenience could be a big factor in the long run. There is nothing to download its all instant.

Edited by Choze

Apparently the Xbox website glitched out earlier - Notice top left under the xbox 360 logo.

YHsQ84j.png

Apparently after 1 refresh it was gone.

EDIT - Was a fake, my bad

Edited by Murr

And, according to people who seem to know this stuff, the logo uses a fan font and isn't the real XBox logo.

I already have a Spotify subscription, but I also have a bunch of vinyl kicking around (some of it from kickstarters I funded)...and I like the physicality of it. Don't think I'll bother right now though, since a good quality record player needs a lot of monetary input.

I just went full digital. Sold my entire (1000+) CD collection. Feels good, actually. Quite liberating.

I would have sold my CDs but unfortunately I spent my teenage years using the jewel cases as impromptu ashtrays.

I pretty much have no physical music that I still use, but I wouldn't mind having some of my favourite albums on vinyl. It takes the middle space between buying album posters and physical media - and it has more sentimental value - what music is about, after all - than binary code.

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony’s solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft’s next console is more oppressive than Sony’s equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sony’s next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the company’s PlayStation event on February 20.

You can read more about how Sony’s next generation console compares in last week’s story, PlayStation 4 revealed.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-...nd-new-kinect/

No 2nd hand games.

I want to say this can't be true...but this is Microsoft we're talking about.

Just read about this now. Crazy if true.

The second hand thing worries me. I don't buy second hand games but I do trade a lot of stuff in. This would pretty much kill that option.

I honestly don't think I would be a gamer if I didn't heavily rely on second hand games as a kid.

I want to say this can't be true...but this is Microsoft we're talking about.

Remember, Sony have a patent for blocking second hand games.

So PS4 & Xbox Next won't allow for pre-owned games....

Nintendo's time to shine...

Remember, Sony have a patent for blocking second hand games.

Yeah, but Sony don't currently employ the paywall that is Xbox LIVE.

I'm not saying they won't do it, I'd just be amazed.

It's not just second hand games it's also lending your games out to friends to try before buying or going round to your mates with a game. I know you can download your Gamertag to another xbox but........!!!!!!!

If true it's not for me especially if you are also reliant on an internet connection to use the thing!

Edited by Gio001

It'd be a disaster. I only pick up a few big games new at launch, But I tend to wait for them to become pre-owned or part of pre-owned offers like 3 Games for £20.

Would effectively finish Game off.

That would suck if it's true, and it would kill the dying industry if no second hand games were allowed.

The Third Console Curse looks to be striking once again.

Pride always comes before a fall and every failed 3rd console has at least one key catastrophic mistake attached to it...

Edited by Dcubed

Well, if next-gen consoles are going to pull this 'trying to abolish the second hand market' bullshit, then count me out. Seriously, how do they think this is a good idea?! It's going to put gamers off. Say you want to get rid of a game that's actually complete crap? Nope, can't do that. You wouldn't be able to even lend your game to a friend! Let's not forget that this would completely screw over some businesses that rely on second hand games

Actually, I think that if Microsoft or Sony did try this, the EU would stop it.