NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

I think the bundles will get better so there will be potentially some very good savings by waiting.

Warframe Teaser Trailer

At gamescom, the game looked better on PS4 than it does on PC, well PCs running AMD Radeon Graphics cards :sad:

I doubt there will be shortages, after the launch hype things will die down for a while. When is the first game you really want out? And by the time you get one if you wait, the launch games you're not too enthusiastic about should be cheaper and you might feel better about picking a few up.

£349 plus more games is a lot of money to spend on something you admittedly don't really want yet.

And I think really £349 is still a lot for a games console (yes I know the Xbox One costs more) - the only console in recent memory that cost that much was the PS3, and we know how that well that started. I think after launch, it won't really get rolling until it's sub-300 and has a good library of games building up.

I'm fairly sure I'll wind up picking up a PS4/Infamous bundle. That is if the system launch goes smoothly and isn't beset by bugs or hardware failures or whatever. I'm quite content to watch this launch happen and take my pick when there's games worth owning. Although it does look like Killzone has turned out to be more than just the system selling pretty face I was expecting it to be.

£349 plus more games is a lot of money to spend on something you admittedly don't really want yet.

Minor point to pick up on, but most people buying a PS4 on launch will be getting a couple of free games from Plus anyway.

Minor point to pick up on, but most people buying a PS4 on launch will be getting a couple of free games from Plus anyway.

And due to Plus, people getting the console later will have even more games from Plus when they get the console.

Yeah, it's a really clever system that should increase system sales over time. The Vita in particular must become a really attractive device soon - not only will you have maybe 8+ retail games to download and play for no extra cost, you'll be able to use it as a remote device to play your PS4 games on. And it's only something like 120-130 quid now. Madness.

Oh, and it has Persona 4. ;)

Looking at the PS4's launch line up again I cant help but wonder if holding the Japanese launch until 2014 was a mistake. One of the reasons I think the Playstations stand out from the Xboxs is the quirky Japanese titles, giving it something different than a lot of the games we get over here and maybe just a couple of those would remind people of that. At the moment the Japanese launch in February has quite a few Japanese games coming for it and maybe some could have been ready for now.

Yeah, it's a really clever system that should increase system sales over time. The Vita in particular must become a really attractive device soon - not only will you have maybe 8+ retail games to download and play for no extra cost, you'll be able to use it as a remote device to play your PS4 games on. And it's only something like 120-130 quid now. Madness.

Oh, and it has Persona 4. ;)

This is so true. The Vita has never appealed to me at all, however getting a PS3 with Plus has built up me a large library of Vita games in just a couple of months, and with the price so low, I've been tempted to pick one up just because it seems like such a bargain. The only thing stopping me is I have barely enough time between my 3DS and PS3 as it is!

I also probably won't pick up a PS4 for quite a long time, but when I do I will probably already have a selection of games ready to download and play. It's a very clever system. Get people hooked into your eco-system by offering great deals/free games and then they'll buy your other consoles to make the most of it.

Nintendo should really take a leaf out of Sony's book in this area, especially with making VC games compatible across their different platforms.

Bear in mind that despite the cheapness of the Vita, memory cards are still very expensive. Since you're quoting Plus games as your reason for considering one, that's a lot of memory you're going to need. 16GB 32GB cards start at £39 if you're lucky and you can fill them up in the blink of an eye.

Edited by Shorty

Bear in mind that despite the cheapness of the Vita, memory cards are still very expensive. Since you're quoting Plus games as your reason for considering one, that's a lot of memory you're going to need. 16GB cards start at £39 if you're lucky and you can fill them up in the blink of an eye.

While they do sell out quite often Amazon already sell the 32gb card for £39.99 all the time now. Its still not the price it should be but so much better than it used to be.

Bear in mind that despite the cheapness of the Vita, memory cards are still very expensive. Since you're quoting Plus games as your reason for considering one, that's a lot of memory you're going to need. 16GB cards start at £39 if you're lucky and you can fill them up in the blink of an eye.

That's a good point, they are very pricey. But there's nothing saying you have to download them all at once, so I think I'd be alright :) But anyways, as I said I don't have time for one at the moment anyway, so it's very much something to consider for the future.

A Threefold Surprise for PS4 Owners

After months of anticipation, we’re just a week away from the launch of PlayStation 4 in the United States and Canada. Starting at midnight on November 15th, you’ll be able to see for yourself what the future of gaming and entertainment looks like.

The network now expands across a wide array of digital entertainment including incredible multi-player gameplay, availability of full games day and date, streaming movies and TV shows, and a premium cloud-based music service. We are excited to provide those of you in the US and Canada with a special promotional voucher in every PS4 box* that includes:

$10 Sony Entertainment Network wallet credit for PlayStation Store

30-day free PlayStation Plus membership trial

30-day free Music Unlimited service trial**

Out of the box, you can immediately experience everything PlayStation Plus for PS4 has to offer and have access to millions and millions of songs through Music Unlimited. The $10 credit can be used towards anything in the store including new PS4 launch titles, such as Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty Ghosts, and Killzone Shadow Fall.

Look for the voucher when you open your PS4 box and let us know what you’re excited about playing, listening, or watching by using #PS4 on Twitter.

* Available for a limited time only

** Only for new subscribers to the Premium Plan

Nice surprise. Hopefully Europe will get the same treatment.

You don't actually need a large card, you can just transfer games back and forth. Realistically most people probably play no more than maybe 3-4 games large size games at once; I think if you're really going for budget then there's no reason you can't pick up the Vita starter pack (games plus 8GB card) for £140.

So while it's not as convenient as a large card, it doesn't have to be expensive.

Looking at the PS4's launch line up again I cant help but wonder if holding the Japanese launch until 2014 was a mistake. One of the reasons I think the Playstations stand out from the Xboxs is the quirky Japanese titles, giving it something different than a lot of the games we get over here and maybe just a couple of those would remind people of that. At the moment the Japanese launch in February has quite a few Japanese games coming for it and maybe some could have been ready for now.

Yeah there is definitely something in that...I think though they did come out and say the release was being held back because Japanese developers weren't as well prepared for a 2013 launch. I dunno it's kind of that which comes first scenario. If they had set a 2013 date would developers have risen to the challenge and met it? Or would we have seen delays like we have with high profile western titles like Watch Dogs and Driveclub? I guess Sony's thinking is they would rather be out in territories where the support is provided than have a console that has no titles for that region. Maybe they out right think Japan isn't ready for a home console this xmas and is leaving the vita as their entry in the strong handheld market to do the business for them....

You don't actually need a large card, you can just transfer games back and forth.
True but this can be quite an annoying process, wifi and USB transfers to and from the Vita are painfully slow. Also if you don't have Plus or haven't turned on save syncing, you could accidentally lose your saves when you remove the game off your Vita.
While they do sell out quite often Amazon already sell the 32gb card for £39.99 all the time now. Its still not the price it should be but so much better than it used to be.

Ah I meant 32GB actually, amended my post.

3 weeks to go bitches - you stoked yet?

In other news - I've been removed from the Xbone discussion thread. Mods what's that all about?

media_preview.php?url=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-8KPEP_q5O0A%2FUBfTGrlwH_I%2FAAAAAAAABd0%2F2uKNhW-ND4Q%2Fs1600%2Ffunny-gifs-wtf.gif

Edited by Cookyman

Because you're not contributing anything worthwhile and just spamming the place with an excessive amount of gifs.

Because you're not contributing anything worthwhile and just spamming the place with an excessive amount of gifs.

Ok I thought I was being funny but I take your point on board.

It's fair enough, but I do find it amusing that you say this. :p

I just paid for my PS4. Hyyyyppppeeeeeeeee.

In the aftermath of the shit hitting the fan.....

TGzP27i.gif

I'm hoping we can kiss and make up - (not literally). I'm looking forward to you unbarring me from the Xbone discussion so my rapier like wit and insightful commentary once more flows from my keyboard and instills the forum with a sense of wonder and awe.

If you believe that you'll believe anything

:grin: