NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Genuinely I had a far greater problem with the DS3 before I started using it! :p

I'd played on the very occasional PlayStation 1 and 2 in the past and taken issue with the dualshock when compared to Nintendo's controllers. But when I actuallt bought a PS3 a year ago and started using the controller regularly I honestly don't really have much of an issue with it.

The only thing I the controller needs IMO, is 8-way directional support around the analogue sticks, unless Nintendo have that patented?

I absolutely hate the DS3, and I say this despite the PS3 being my console of choice for this gen. I HAVE NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER WITH THE STICK PLACEMENT AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND THOSE WHO DO. The real problem, for me, is how loose the sitcks feel, especially when they weren't like that at all in the DS2. Also, there's the terrible "triggers" to account for. Basically, it didn't improve a single thing over the DS2 other than being wireless and actually became a much worse controller than it's predecessor. The problem was of course exacerbated by the fact that the 360's controller was/is so much better.

I absolutely hate the DS3, and I say this despite the PS3 being my console of choice for this gen. I HAVE NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER WITH THE STICK PLACEMENT AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND THOSE WHO DO. The real problem, for me, is how loose the sitcks feel, especially when they weren't like that at all in the DS2. Also, there's the terrible "triggers" to account for. Basically, it didn't improve a single thing over the DS2 other than being wireless and actually became a much worse controller than it's predecessor. The problem was of course exacerbated by the fact that the 360's controller was/is so much better.

I dislike the stick placement for the simple reason that with the right hand your thumb largely alternates between stick and buttons, lessening the likelihood of cramp, but when the left thumb is extended to reach the primary analogue usually indefinitely, it gets really uncomfortable. Also think about it - when controlling a character with the primary stick, you're using the stick constantly to maintain direction, whereas the right stick you don't have to use as much just because you're controlling the camera view in much smaller increments.

The other problem with the DS3 sticks is that they have a fucking colossal deadzone in the center, meaning you have to decentralise them by a marginally larger degree to get a response as compared to the 360 controller. What also makes this worse is that the sticks - when you actually get them past the dead zone - are a bit more sensitive than the 360 sticks meaning the disparity between deadzone and the actual sensitive region is amplified ever more.

I dislike the stick placement for the simple reason that with the right hand your thumb largely alternates between stick and buttons, lessening the likelihood of cramp, but when the left thumb is extended to reach the primary analogue usually indefinitely, it gets really uncomfortable. Also think about it - when controlling a character with the primary stick, you're using the stick constantly to maintain direction, whereas the right stick you don't have to use as much just because you're controlling the camera view in much smaller increments.

I disagree, and this is usually a complaint made by people who don't really use the DS3 or the Wii CCP that much. When you do use one regularly you'll see there's no discomfort to it at all as the position your thumb is in isn't unnatural in the slightest. 400 hours in Monster Hunter Tri later, and approximately 100 on each Souls game later and not a single ache was felt.

The other problem with the DS3 sticks is that they have a fucking colossal deadzone in the center, meaning you have to decentralise them by a marginally larger degree to get a response as compared to the 360 controller. What also makes this worse is that the sticks - when you actually get them past the dead zone - are a bit more sensitive than the 360 sticks meaning the disparity between deadzone and the actual sensitive region is amplified ever more.

I completely agree with this, though. (However, whenever you can pick up a DS2, you'll see it wasn't like this before. This is a DS3/Sixaxis exclusive feature, and one I don't see the point of...) This is why the controller is soo hated by the FPS crowd, to the point of there being numerous adaptors to play with a 360 controller on PS3s.

And of course, THE FUCKING TRIGGERS.

I'm part of the crowd who hates the DS3/SIXAXIS, so much so i've replaced it with a gioteck controller that has the 360 stick layout and far better 360 style triggers, so any improvement on the DS3 needs to get it on par with the 360 controller which is far superior (except for the d-pad)

why do europe always have to get the late launches? suppose it give people time to save, but march launches are always poor

Late launch in Playstation's strongest territory? Makes total sense. 100% sense.

Bullshit sense. They should launch in the UK along with America...because of...reasons.

Bullshit sense. They should launch in the UK along with America...because of...reasons.

because we don't like waiting and we want it now? ;)

I was going to say because 'Fuck Europe' but for some reasons didn't want to insult the non-UKers. Fuck Europe.

I'm a little suspicious though since the Vita launched in the US and Europe at the same time.

If it is true, I guess the one upside is we'll likely get more launch titles.

Would the next Xbox benefit launching in the Europe & America late 2013 whilst Europe wait for the PS3 launch ??

If they're going to delay it in a territory, surely Japan is the best option? They don't have to worry about the neXtbox over there.

Ss4h0xC.jpg

Reference to Doritos gate

Edited by Choze

Share features sounds cool if true.

Touchpad could be cool too - use different gestures to instantly bring up different menus or traverse through.

Not too fussed if Sony swap the dpad and left stick. I don't mind the current positioning but it is definitely more comfortable having it in the position the Gamecube and 360 pad has them.

Ultimately though it'll be the games and price point that determines if/when I buy a PS4 rather than technical functionality.

Get this touch pad gash to fuck. I don't want all this motion bullshit. JUST PWETTY GRAPHICS AND A NEW UNCHARTED PLZ.

I was going to say because 'Fuck Europe' but for some reasons didn't want to insult the non-UKers. Fuck Europe.

I'm a little suspicious though since the Vita launched in the US and Europe at the same time.

If it is true, I guess the one upside is we'll likely get more launch titles.

Really you should be saying "fuck Sony" for treating us like 2nd class citizens...

It's their fault for not giving us and mainland Europe the attention we deserve!

I already said their decision was bullshit. Sure, if this is true, fuck Sony. Take my GODDAMN money.

I wonder if there's a chance for full Steam integration, especially with the PS4 being so similar to a PC. With Valve having their sights set on the living room it would be a massive boost to partner up with Sony and likewise Steam available on PS4 would be an absolute killer. There's actually no downside for either party.

Also, probably nothing, but Gabe suspiciously name dropped Sony in an interview a few weeks ago. Of all the companies to mention, Sony is a bit of a strange one.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming

Right now there’s one Steam store. We think that the store should actually be more like user generated content. So, anybody should be able to create a store, and it should be about extra entertainment value. Our view has always been that we should build tools for customers and tools for partners. An editorial filter is fine, but there should be a bunch of editorial filters. The backend services should be network APIs that anybody can use. On the consumer side, anybody should be able to put up a store that hooks into those services. Our view is that, in the same way users are critical in a multiplayer experience, like the fellow next to you is critical to your enjoyment, we should figure out how we can help users find people that are going to make their game experiences better. Some people will create team stores, some people will create Sony stores, some people will create stores with only games that they think meet their quality bar. Somebody is going to create a store that says "these are the worst games on Steam." So that’s an example of where our thinking is leading us right now.

Currently there's the PS Store and Plus, eventually Gaikai will arrive in some form - why not Steam? Maybe Steam could start to use Gaikai and Sony would eventually become a hardware free platform. Pigs can fly, right?

"By using Gaikai on the PS4, you can now stream your entire Steam catalogue through your TV"

I really hope gaikai is a standard for ps4, letting people subscribe to play ps2 / ps3 games from the cloud. The hardware would be much more expensive if they had to include some other way to play ps3 games, like how they did with early ps3s (just stuck ps2 hardware in the case).

Also the dead zone is bigger on ps3 controllers? When I went to my friends house I felt the sticks were less accurate and attributed it to needing to move the stick more to get the pool cue (game we played) to move than I would have done on ps3. The two sticks being on the bottom also gave me more leverage. I tend to use my index finger on the right stick though so concave sticks are also fairly important to me.

Edited by heroicjanitor

Also the dead zone is bigger on ps3 controllers?
I'm playing Heavy Rain atm, and on some of the 'push slowly' movements, it does seem to take a while before the movement actually kicks in!... unless it's me just being ultra careful and thinking I'm moving it when in fact I'm not yet. :p

Currently there's the PS Store and Plus, eventually Gaikai will arrive in some form - why not Steam? Maybe Steam could start to use Gaikai and Sony would eventually become a hardware free platform. Pigs can fly, right?[/color]

Its more likely about Planetside 2, Everquest next etc. A full store on steam would be nice with Planetside 2 stuff and more.

It might come to PS4 as well. Easily the most next gen game on pc right now. Not sure if PS4 can handle it ;)

I'm playing Heavy Rain atm, and on some of the 'push slowly' movements, it does seem to take a while before the movement actually kicks in!... unless it's me just being ultra careful and thinking I'm moving it when in fact I'm not yet. :p

Loved that game to bits. So, how's that going for you? I'm interested in what choices you are making and how you feel about the game.

Ss4h0xC.jpg

Reference to Doritos gate

Possibly one of my favourite parody Twitter accounts. Some of the tweets are absolute comedy gold

One of my recent favourites..

Nintendo confirming they are making a new Mario Kart game is about as surprising as us confirming we are making losses #NintendoDirect