NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

The PS3 had the same thing that the Wii U had, varying specs that were switched out very late into development. I wonder how Nintendo's going to pull out a title like that Zelda tech demo considering the that the Wii U is most likely weaker than originally planned?

Actually supposedly, according to people on GAF who had access to the Wii U beta dev kits, the final Wii U is actually more powerful than the beta kits that powered that tech demo (specifically, the GPU was boosted by about 150mhz and the CPU by 100mhz - no idea about what other changes were made though)

The Zelda tech demo isn't really that impressive, from a tech perspective, anyway. I fully expect the actual Wii U Zelda game to surpass the tech demo with ease (as has been the case every time, where every Zelda tech demo has always been surpassed by the actual game)

Actually supposedly, according to people on GAF who had access to the Wii U beta dev kits, the final Wii U is actually more powerful than the beta kits that powered that tech demo (specifically, the GPU was boosted by about 150mhz and the CPU by 100mhz - no idea about what other changes were made though)

The Zelda tech demo isn't really that impressive, from a tech perspective, anyway. I fully expect the actual Wii U Zelda game to surpass the tech demo with ease (as has been the case every time, where every Zelda tech demo has always been surpassed by the actual game)

I've got my doubts, wasn't the Zelda tech demo confirmed to be 1080p? If New Super Mario Bros U can't go above 720p, even if it is a launch title, I don't have much confidence.

We already know what MS are planning (Set-top box OS with live TV DVR recording, Kinect 2.0, Fortaleza AR Glasses accessory after launch, possible Illumiroom camera accessory, cross game Skype support and probable built in Twitch.TV support), so it's definately not just a graphics jump...

Well yeah, I was aware that NXtBox had something going for it, even if it would simply be Kinect 2.0 (it's still something unique, after all)

If the PS4 doesn't have anything particularly unique, I can see it struggling to become successful (though that's not a position Sony can afford again)

Well it has Playstation Plus, free online gaming and good exclusives which will no doubt carry over. These are far more important and better features than the gimmicky ones that lose their edge after the first year.

If the second Xbox and PS4 end up outpacing the Nintendo console again, both in terms of power and having better online infrastructures, then the PS4 will have a definite edge over the Xbox again simply by keeping these features.

I've got my doubts, wasn't the Zelda tech demo confirmed to be 1080p? If New Super Mario Bros U can't go above 720p, even if it is a launch title, I don't have much confidence.

Nah, it was 720p.

The console could obviously handle NSMBU in 1080p if they wanted to do it. Nintendo Land utterly obliterates NSMBU in terms of visuals and does so while rendering 5 player splitscreen at the same 720p resolution and VSynced 60FPS as NSMBU.

They probably just drew the 2D assets in 720p (to save on costs) and didn't want to redraw them for 1080p resolution, instead opting for globs of AA (which works just as well really. The game's IQ looks pristine anyway)

Well it has Playstation Plus, free online gaming and good exclusives which will no doubt carry over. These are far more important and better features than the gimmicky ones that lose their edge after the first year.

Substantially, yes. But what is substantial is not necessarily flashy, and something flashy is needed to draw attention to your own console, even if just to make it relevant in the eyes of the general public. Impressive graphics worked for a while, but that won't cut it this time. Not by itself.

It's entirely possible that the PS4 will subsist with brand recognition alone, though. I just don't think Sony will see it that way.

For most of us, if the PS4 was an upgraded PS3 we'll be perfectly happy (especially with Microsoft possibly going the Kinect route). However, it's marketing it that's the problem.

Substantially, yes. But what is substantial is not necessarily flashy, and something flashy is needed to draw attention to your own console, even if just to make it relevant in the eyes of the general public. Impressive graphics worked for a while, but that won't cut it this time. Not by itself.
Enter Uncharted 4.

Still something flashy! :p

But seriously, I think Sony have done such an incredible job with [First Party] exclusives this gen, that it could well be all they need. Just more of what they've been doing. It's certainly the differentiator for them against Nintendo and especially Microsoft atm!

They've certainly won me over!

20th? well i wasn't expecting that!

considering i'm only going Sony/Nintendo this generation, i'm both massively excited and terrified! (what if i don't like it? it took me years to love my PS3)

Lets hope the price is reasonable and not sony get a second job "reasonable"

The PS4 will have to be damn special for me to consider buying it, same goes for the Xbox 720/whateverit'llbecalled... I'm happy with my PS360WiiU setup. :D

It's entirely possible that the PS4 will subsist with brand recognition alone, though. I just don't think Sony will see it that way.

Well you only need look at the Wii in terms of flashy. Sure, it sold lots and to a new audience for having a gimmick. But this gimmick consumed the direction of the console and left many existing existing gamers disgruntled. The choice of Nintendo to go with a lower spec but a gimmick meant the vast majority of multiplatform games never made it. They also put far more attention into motion control then they did into a robust online infrastructure.

A gimmick might help sell the console to the casual market, much like Kinect does, but they usually have a nevgative impact on gamers like me and ultimately the PS3 did very well without them.

Killzone tech demo, if I recall, was actually pretty solid to the final product, albeit the one of the only ones. Most of the PS3's over-estimations came from third party developers, I still remember that fucking Gundam game that looked mad impressive.

Don't suppose you know of any HD video's of that Killzone tech demo to you? I'm curious to see the texture quality of the surroundings again. Because there's one thing I've noticed about FPS's this generation and that's some very clever tricky by having the texture quality of stuff that's always near you at a fucking unreal quality (like the visible parts of your arms and the gun), the textures you place elsewhere like the ground mainly gets overlooked.

This would be a good idea, as it'd be more realistic considering that's how we see things, but once you start moving towards something it just looks fucking awful and kind of ruins the immersion. I wonder if there'll be any games next generation that'll use some seamless technique to increase texture quality with distance, as it's clearly not happened this gen. Hence why I'm curious to

It was tricky enough finding the SD video of Killzone. I can't ever remember having seen an HD version, my Internet was never fast enough back then. :heh:

I never saw any of the other tech demos. I was too busy convincing myself the Wii would make me go 'Wow'. I'd love to see a rundown of the PS3's announcement, way back when. I hope someone does a retrospective of the PS3 launch. Would be nice to look back at a pretty bat-shit crazy product life.

I've seen a couple comments bring up an interesting point. With Sony now most likely announcing theirs console first it leaves them to take advantage of promoting third party games like Star Wars 1313 and WatchDogs. I might not seem like a big deal, since these games will almost undoubtedly come out on the next Xbox too, but in terms of perception it could do wonders.

They'll probably show off their magnificent new controller:

dualshock3official.jpg

If they actually did do something to dramatically change the controller, I'd certainly be more interested in the next PlayStation :eek:

Have to say that I'm personally more interested in seeing what Sony do with the PS4 than what Microsoft will do with the 720.

If Sony are indeed using off the shelf components, the disparity between third party titles on the 720/PS4 will be gone and there'll likely be no differences which will fix the main issue that some developers had with the PS3's cell architecture. And then it simply comes down to who will have to better exclusives and given what Sony have done this generation, I'd banker on Sony having stronger first party exclusives as they seem more interested in investing in a variety of gameplay experiences whereas Microsoft sort of boiled down their exclusives to Forza, Halo and Gears and then moved their other studios to Kinect software.

So if Sony keep up what they have been doing with the exclusives as well as their online setup, then the PS4 looks like the most attractive console from a speculative point.

I have my fingers cross anyway that they don't force some unnecessary 'innovation' on consumers with the controller or what have you. I don't see the need for innovation on a console/controller level as some of the things being touted as innovative are just unnecessary. Keep it to the games and continue to make unique experiences (like Journey or Unfinished Swan) as that is what people are interested in (at least I am).

Saying that, though, if Microsoft do give us Alan Wake 2 on the 720, I'd pick one up :D

Well you only need look at the Wii in terms of flashy. Sure, it sold lots and to a new audience for having a gimmick. But this gimmick consumed the direction of the console and left many existing existing gamers disgruntled. The choice of Nintendo to go with a lower spec but a gimmick meant the vast majority of multiplatform games never made it. They also put far more attention into motion control then they did into a robust online infrastructure.

A gimmick might help sell the console to the casual market, much like Kinect does, but they usually have a nevgative impact on gamers like me and ultimately the PS3 did very well without them.

No the 'gimmick' worked well. Problem is Nintendo mismanaged everything as time went on and still had the same issues from the N64 and Gamecube eras.

Why were they forcing down Motion plus and other peripherals? Why were 1st and 2nd party releases drying up? Pricing was messed up. Out of warranty repair prices were the same as a 60GB PS3. Games locked to system. Games were subpar. It started out great though. The same problems still exist on the WiiU and 3DS.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

EDGE are claiming that the new controller will keep the familiar DS form factor, but will have the Start/Select/Home button area replaced with the same touch pad as the Vita's rear end.

Also, it'll automatically record video footage of your last 15mins of play for you to share online via a dedicated button on the controller :)

2013 launch for everywhere except Europe, where we wait till 2014 (that's the most believable part sadly...)

Edited by Dcubed

I really hope that Share feature is true. I screen cap a lot across both my phone and my Vita. If they're smart they'll do this because it would cultivate a great community around it. Imagine the content users would create, it's pretty much free advertising. I bought a capture card for my PS3 but it's a real hassle to use - if it were all streamlined I'd not hesitate for one iota.

I'm all in for the PS4 this gen. PS4/WiiU/PC all the way.

Here's hoping they don't fuck up the new controller. The DS3 was such a disaster compared to the DS2...

About 1.5-2 years ago, I was pretty much set in my mind that the next xbox would end up being my platform of choice based on how they started the generation, and the choices they made (with regard to their vision of both hardware and software), but Sony have really pulled it around for me as of late and I like a lot of things they seem to be doing/pushing.

I guess as MS got further and further to their one box entertainment solution, the focus on games was always going to take a back seat - I just didn't expect it to be quite so soon. Hopefully they still have some good surprises up their sleeve although frankly, it would be much easier as a consumer to make a choice if their next device was outright rubbish.

Now's it a matter of what Valve are up to as to where my focus will lie although it looks like I'll be gaming on a linux PC in one way or another regardless.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Genuinely I had a far greater problem with the DS3 before I started using it! :p

I'd played on the very occasional PlayStation 1 and 2 in the past and taken issue with the dualshock when compared to Nintendo's controllers. But when I actuallt bought a PS3 a year ago and started using the controller regularly I honestly don't really have much of an issue with it.

The only thing I the controller needs IMO, is 8-way directional support around the analogue sticks, unless Nintendo have that patented?

The Dualshock 3 needs:

- Left analogue position needs changing.

- fixed triggers.

- Better prongs.

Genuinely I had a far greater problem with the DS3 before I started using it! :p

I'd played on the very occasional PlayStation 1 and 2 in the past and taken issue with the dualshock when compared to Nintendo's controllers. But when I actuallt bought a PS3 a year ago and started using the controller regularly I honestly don't really have much of an issue with it.

The only thing I the controller needs IMO, is 8-way directional support around the analogue sticks, unless Nintendo have that patented?

I'm exactly the same. I thought the Playstation control was the worst thing ever. The sticks were weird. I couldn't remember as easily which buttons were O,X Square and Triangle - A, B, X, Y apparently weren't an issue for me. Then I picked up a PS3 and BOOM, no problems. It's definitely a psychological thing.

I actually really like its compact feel (I have massive hands). The only thing I would improve would be those fucking awful triggers. They need to be more springy.

Also, they need to stop emitting that weird-oily-gel type substance whenever you don't use one for a while.

You guessed it.