NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

15 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

They still can't design a decent controller, though...🕵️

BrownTimelyEskimodog-max-1mb.gif

:p 

Impressive numbers by Sony. I don't think they'll struggle very much with the PS5 unless they royally fork up the price.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Absolutely mental consistency. I think the PS2 is a bit of anomaly in that it's ridiculously high, but to be selling consoles at pretty much 100 million every version shows its not luck at all, they always manage to tap into the magic something that gamers want, even a "failure" like the PS3! 

They still can't design a decent controller, though...🕵️

The PS2 was a mixture of great games and probably just as importantly, a cheap DVD player right when that was taking off. Very similar with the PS3 and Blu rays.

PS2 also had crazy exclusives (in some cases only exclusive for a few years, but it did the trick), like GTA 3, Vice City, Final Fantasy X, God of War, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3.

Still does go to show that Sony have got the talent, and definitely the following.

Another familiar face is leaving the PlayStation family. :( 

The guy was a legend. He helped push the Vita (even if Sony didn't want to) and played a huge part in giving the Yakuza series a second chance here in the West.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I sat and watched this last night. (Wish YouTubers would stop with the cringe worth pics on their thumbnails :nono:)

I watch some of his stuff now and then and figured I would give this watch seeing as it was a trophy hunting video. You can really see his enthusiasm drain away as the video goes on. :D I knew he'd end up dipping into some of the quick and easy platinums before the video was over. Also, it's nuts that he plays the same TellTale games 3 times at the same (Vita/PS3/PS4). Crazy fool. :laughing:

He said something in the video which I do in that when you start a game you have the option to back away from it before a trophy pops. Once that happens you are locked into it. I've done this a few times where i've started a game and then thought to myself that I really can't be bothered to play this, so stopped playing and deleted the 0% from my trophy list. Both Persona 4 Golden and The Witcher 3 are two examples of such cases.

• Thanks 1

I'm so glad I moved away from the trophy hunt. That helped me finish more games than I would've this year. Haven't been playing as much as in previous years for whatever reason so not caring about trophies has been great. :D 

@Hero-of-Time how many Platinums did you already get this year?

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I'm so glad I moved away from the trophy hunt. That helped me finish more games than I would've this year. Haven't been playing as much as in previous years for whatever reason so not caring about trophies has been great. :D 

@Hero-of-Time how many Platinums did you already get this year?

124 games completed across all platforms and 93 platinums obtained. As you can see, platinum hunting doesn't really slow down how many games I get through. Imagine what that game completion total would be if I stopped chasing trophies and stopped trying to get 100% in games that don't feature them. :p 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

124 games completed across all platforms and 93 platinums obtained.

vqGeMsr.gif

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Imagine what that game completion total would be if I stopped chasing trophies and stopped trying to get 100% in games that don't feature them. :p 

You'd probably have to start playing all the shovelware that's out there or stop playing at all because the devs can't catch up with you. :D 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

vqGeMsr.gif

I've never seen that film but that scene came up during some work banter a few months ago. We all sat and watched it on YouTube and I didn't realise how funny it was. :laughing:

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've never seen that film

Same. I'm always hesitant when it comes to horror movies...alright, I'm a little bitch :p That's why I haven't seen it, yet. But a friend told me I had to watch it because it's actually satire and the humor is right up my alley.

9 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I'm always hesitant when it comes to horror movies...alright, I'm a little bitch :p That's why I haven't seen it, yet. But a friend told me I had to watch it because it's actually satire and the humor is right up my alley.

Yeah, I don't do horror, in both movies and games, either. Freaks me out. :shakehead I've still not played Resident Evil 7 because of the graphics being too realistic and first person viewpoint being too scary. :( 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I don't do horror, in both movies and games, either. Freaks me out. :shakehead

Sometimes I can deal with horror movies. Especially if they have a gripping story. 

Games, though...nooooo. I remember playing Outlast back when it was a PS+ game. First jumpscare made me scream and I decided to play Flower for a while. I'm not kidding, I had to nope out of the horror and fly through a field of blossoms to calm down :D 

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've still not played Resident Evil 7 because of the graphics being too realistic and first person viewpoint being too scary. :( 

Resident Evil is one of your favourite series, isn't it? It's a shame the newest installment, while apparently being very good, is not something for you :( 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Resident Evil is one of your favourite series, isn't it? It's a shame the newest installment, while apparently being very good, is not something for you :( 

Indeed. :( 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Indeed. :( 

Sorry, I didn't mean to pour salt on the wound. :D Are you planning on growing a pair and playing Resident Evil 7 sometime in the future? :p 

Edited by drahkon

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to pour salt on the wound. :D Are you planning on growing a pair and playing Resident Evil 7 sometime in the future? :p 

Not at all. Although a while back I did toy with the idea of playing the game on a very small LCD TV that I use for retro gaming. I figure the jump scares will have less of an impact if they are on a little screen. :D 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I figure the jump scares will have less of an impact if they are on a little screen. :D 

Interesting idea but I can assure you that it doesn't work. :D I've been playing on a small LCD monitor for years and I've noped out of many games. It's usually the sound that gets me. 

Maybe playing horror games on mute might help. And with eyes closed. And swap horror games with other genres. Yeah, genius plan.

• Haha 1

PlayStation has named Guerrilla Games managing director and co-founder Hermen Hulst as its new head of Worldwide Studios.

He starts the role immediately and will manage all of Sony's game development across its 14 internal studios.

Meanwhile, Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida will leave his current role to lead a new initiative that will look after and nurture external, smaller independent studios.
The changes are part of Sony Interactive Entertainment's restructuring ahead of the launch of PS5. 

"Hermen is a European who will be taking one of the major offices at PlayStation," he said. "I think everybody in Europe should be thrilled and happy and proud that that is happening."

He continued in a statement: "Hermen is one of the most effective and well-respected leaders in the video game industry. He is a passionate advocate for the teams he leads and understands how to empower creative talent to build great experiences. I have no doubt Hermen can lead our teams to deliver compelling and diverse experiences at a steady cadence."

Well deserved! :bowdown:

Happy to see someone from Europe getting such a role. It's also a great move for Shu. He's probably looking to retire in a few years and this smaller role will probably suit him. Sony has been criticised late in this generation for not pushing indies as much as they used to and this new initiative looks to correct that.  

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Interesting that this promotion and the Shu move comes off the heels of this interview with Jim Ryan...

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-11-07-sonys-jim-ryan-we-had-to-make-changes-to-deliver-our-ps5-dream

Jim Ryan keeps denying that they're Americanising the company, but I still get the feeling that this consolidation is a mistake that smacks of old school SEGA America VS Japan...

Heads are gonna no doubt butt between Jim and Herman I bet; as the fight for dominance between Sony Europe and America rages on.

It's good to see that they're taking critisism to heart, especially regarding their recent lackadaisical attitude towards indie developers as of late, and that they're listening to people's concerns (make no mistake, this interview is a reaction to concerns over Sony's consolidation and fears over Americanisation).  But I know my history and I've seen this before with SEGA.  There are some positive moves being made here, but their big name staff losses over the past year tell the tale far louder than anything Jim is saying here, as actions always speak louder than words.

Things are not OK at Camp Sony, no matter how pretty a picture Jim tries to paint.  We'll see if these changes end up having a positive effect, but my SEGA senses are still firing on all cylinders right now...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

It will be interesting to see if we see similar deals over here. One of my sisters is after a PSVR for my nephew and a PS4 for my niece so these discounts will come in very handy for her.

I just got an email saying my PS+ has automatically renewed for another year and my card was charged 50 quid. I had no idea I was on auto-renew, let alone that it was up for renewal at all. Just got in touch with Sony 5 minutes after getting the email requesting a cancellation and a refund. I checked my transaction history and I haven't downloaded anything off PS+ for over a year, and haven't touched my PS4 in that long to use online play, so if I don't get a refund it'll be the biggest waste of 100 quid ever.

I wonder why they charged you £50 when it's currently on sale on PSN for Black Friday? If you don't get a refund you should at least kick off that PS+ is currently on offer at the moment.

I hate that auto renewal is pretty much standard on everything these days. It should be opt in not opt out. So many people get caught out by it. :( 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I wonder why they charged you £50 when it's currently on sale on PSN for Black Friday? If you don't get a refund you should at least kick off that PS+ is currently on offer at the moment.

I hate that auto renewal is pretty much standard on everything these days. It should be opt in not opt out. So many people get caught out by it. :( 

Thanks I will do. A few places at least warn you your subscription will auto-renew soon. To be honest I thought I had cancelled it, but evidently not.

Edited by Ronnie

I hate that auto renewal is pretty much standard on everything these days. It should be opt in not opt out. So many people get caught out by it.  
Don't get me started on Nintendo's policy, even though I had a free code (via Amazon Prime) to get the sub it puts you onto auto renew.

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:
3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:
I hate that auto renewal is pretty much standard on everything these days. It should be opt in not opt out. So many people get caught out by it. emoji20.png 

Don't get me started on Nintendo's policy, even though I had a free code (via Amazon Prime) to get the sub it puts you onto auto renew.

At least Nintendo warn you when your sub is about to auto-renew, in advance. Nothing from PS4, just "Thanks for giving us another 50 quid!"