NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It's a mess. Lots of layers, functions everywhere. The store is a chore to navigate. I hate it. Just my personal opinion though. 

I agree about the store. Even the filters don't work properly. I was looking at the sale this morning, selected the filter to make everything go from cheapest to most expensive and the prices were still all mixed up. 

5 hours ago, somme said:

You played it in VR?

Sadly no. Will be my first VR game when I get a PSVR sometime in the next 400 years, though :D

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Seems a pretty new thing to me and plenty of others?

It's not. It's a feature that has been there for a long time (you can easily find threads through a google search dating back to 2015 related to this), although many gamers just have this turned off. 

2 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Had it turned off since i was able to turn it off.

Same here.

Must be the influx of new PS4 owners who set up their new console and not immediately turned off the ads. I don't see why it's a big deal in the first place. It's an ad, there are ads everywhere.

Edited by drahkon

5 hours ago, drahkon said:

Same here.

Must be the influx of new PS4 owners who set up their new console and not immediately turned off the ads. I don't see why it's a big deal in the first place. It's an ad, there are ads everywhere.

I think some people are surprised that an ad popped up, probably never happened before.

I finished What Remains of Edith Finch this morning. Brilliant stuff. I can see why this has been on my GOTY lists.

The way the story is told is fantastic and there are some truly heart breaking and heart warming moments in the game. I'm happy that the game got the attention it did, which pushed me into buying and experiencing it.

@Eenuh I think you and Flinky would enjoy the game. It's in sale at the moment on the PSN store if you're interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I finished What Remains of Edith Finch this morning. Brilliant stuff. I can see why this has been on my GOTY lists.

The way the story is told is fantastic and there are some truly heart breaking and heart warming moments in the game. I'm happy that the game got the attention it did, which pushed me into buying and experiencing it.

@Eenuh I think you and Flinky would enjoy the game. It's in sale at the moment on the PSN store if you're interested.

I've got it added into my basket in the store, but I'm spending toooons of money at the moment and feel a bit guilty about getting this. Will probably just get it anyway.

I was interested in this already without really knowing what it is. I'm sure I'll like it.

20 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I've got it added into my basket in the store, but I'm spending toooons of money at the moment and feel a bit guilty about getting this. Will probably just get it anyway.

I was interested in this already without really knowing what it is. I'm sure I'll like it.

The game is only a couple of hours long, so it won't be a big time sink for you. The length of it is actually a big appeal of the game for me. I've played a few of these types of games now and a lot of them outstay their welcome, whereas this keeps things moving along nicely and the stories keep you hooked.

23 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The game is only a couple of hours long, so it won't be a big time sink for you. The length of it is actually a big appeal of the game for me. I've played a few of these types of games now and a lot of them outstay their welcome, whereas this keeps things moving along nicely and the stories keep you hooked.

I might be able to sneak it in before school starts again. I still have South Park to start and also Resident Evil VII...plus games like Doom and Wolfenstein. 

I finished Marvel vs Capcom Infinite this morning. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I really enjoyed the story mode. Some of the writing in it genuinely had me laughing due to the various interactions between the characters. It was great seeing some of my favorites ( X and Dante ) getting the chance to shine.

Im still not a fan of the character models/designs. Some of them look so weird and I much prefer the cartoony look of earlier games that were on the Saturn/PlayStation/Dreamcast/PS2. You can see this is a common feeling when you look at the praise that DB FighterZ is receiving.

Im gonna finish arcade mode with every character and then move over to Minecraft Season 2, which I had a quick go of yesterday.

• Thanks 1

I'm planning on buying a PS4 in the next week or so, but don't know if i should buy the PS4 Pro or the Slim.

It will be connected to a 32" or 35" UW monitor (not yet purchased), with resolutions of 2560 x 1440 and 3440 x 1440.

With me not having a 4K TV, will a Pro be of any benefit to me over the Slim?

24 minutes ago, Shift said:

I'm planning on buying a PS4 in the next week or so, but don't know if i should buy the PS4 Pro or the Slim.

It will be connected to a 32" or 35" UW monitor (not yet purchased), with resolutions of 2560 x 1440 and 3440 x 1440.

With me not having a 4K TV, will a Pro be of any benefit to me over the Slim?

Is there a huge price difference between the PS4 slim and Pro? If the difference is small, then you may as well go for a PS4 Pro. Are you planning to go 4K in the future? 

I can't imagine that you would notice a difference either way unless you had a game running side-by-side on the two consoles. From what I've been reading, PS4 Pro does offer some performance improvements, but that is only on a selection of titles. 

I don't know what the price difference is between the two. If it was me, I'd go for the Pro, only because it's future proof. 

Some games do offer 2560x1440 resolution on the pro (Titanfall 2 being one example) those that don’t however would typically offer improved or more stable frame rates at 1080p. Or with a 1080p resolution they downsample from the higher resolutions for improved anti aliasing. 

It is still a relatively small number of games that offer these improvements. You may wish to look at a list of games that support the PS4 Pro and see if they are games that interest you. 

The Pro does have the extra power, which in turn does make playing existing games feel smoother over the Slim.  However the real benefit of a Pro is the 4k ability, so unless you plan to get a 4k TV down the line i'd not bother with a Pro personally.

Otherwise, any help with deciding what games to purchase then many of us here can offer some solid advice.  And ultimately, now is a great time to get a PS4.

I know that  i am late to the party but there's a newer DS4 which has a modified light bar, anyone kind enough to explain if there is a big difference?

Sony sold over 5.9 million PS4s over the holidays (down from 6.2 million last year) and 20.2 million units from January 2nd through December 31st (a record for the platform in an annual year). The console now sits at over 73.6 million units sold worldwide.

With the games they have coming later this year - heck, even just later this month - and next year too, 100 million seems a formality, so long as they don’t start talking about the PS5 too soon. I have to wonder if they could even pull it off this year, seeing as they have the line-up to potentially back up such a surge, though it admittedly seems unlikely (but not impossible), as the 26.4 million units they would need to sell this year to cross the 100 million unit threshold would be a record for any platform within an annual year.

Elsewhere, software sales reached 645 million, with 243.9 million units being sold in 2017 alone. The PS Store recorded its largest ever monthly sales of content in December 2017, and the number of PS Plus subscribers crossed 31.5 million.

PS4 console annual sales:

Year — annual — holiday — cumulative

2013 — 4.2M — N/A — 4.2M

2014 — 14.3M — 4.2M — 18.5M

2015 — 17.4M — 5.7M — 35.9M

2016 — 17.5M — 6.2M — 53.4M

2017 — 20.2M — 5.9M — 73.6M

• Like 2

Impressive numbers. I’m wondering how many double dippers though between the PS4 and then upgrading to the PS4pro. At least it’s a better argument than the tired ole PS2 argument that most the consoles failed and had to be replaced. 

On 1/9/2018 at 5:34 AM, Julius Caesar said:

Very informative! Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

That is just mean.

My guess is that they are ready to share more information about the game after 4 years of development.

So, Dark Souls Remastered is coming soon. We own DSIII, but I haven't got around to playing it. @Eenuh has and she loved it. Tempted to get the remastered game when it's out and then play through that, 2 and 3 to experience the lot. Orrrr...I may just play Bloodborne again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As fantastic as Bloodborne is, you really should play Dark Souls 1. It plays differently from Bloodborne or DS3, but the gameplay is pretty damn perfect, and the story is quite good as well. There is a reason that people are still playing the first game, more so than the second game or Bloodborne. 

Speaking of Bloodborne, after having it sealed for over two years now... :blush:

...I finally decided that I would maybe, possibly play it but then I checked the value of the original game so I'm not going to unseal it now. :p

However! I did find out that the base game is currently only £11.99 in the sale digitally, plus I already bought the dlc ages ago, it's downloaded and ready to go, so I might play it. :)

But I really should be finishing Xenoblade Chronicles 2... so perhaps after that. :grin:

It's a good starting point though, I gather? Play Bloodborne soon then pick up Dark Souls Remastered on the Switch in a few months, that's the plan. :peace:

I played... a few hours of Dark Souls originally, so this time I'll finally give it a proper chance. :D

28 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

it's downloaded and ready to go, so I might play it. :)

FOR FUCK'S SAKE, PLAY IT.

It's really good.

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 3