Jump to content
NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Recommended Posts

It's been in development for so long. Sony revealed it at E3 2015 but the concept was shown off at the PS4 launch so 4+ years of dev time. Surely they wouldn't throw all that work away.

Maybe at PSX....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sony financials are now out and the PS4 is sitting on 67.5 million shipped. They've upped the estimation of what they expect to ship/sell by March to 79 million. If they achieve this then they will have reached PS3 lifetime sales in half the time. Crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When they were on about the infrastructure of PSN, i was 1/2 expecting an announcement on integration of PS Now to PS+ subscribers to compensate the price rise.

One can still hope can they?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guacamelee 2? Awesome! :D Looking forward to that, although I might just wait for a potential Switch version.

TBH, I've been gradually losing interest in the PS4 since getting a Switch. It was much more appealing to me before (during the Wii U era) but now I really struggle to go back to it. :hmm: Not planning to renew my PS+ subscription either, as the games on there have been pretty disappointing for a while too (that, or they're games I already own, which is in fact even more disappointing. :heh:) and I definitely don't play online enough any more to justify the additional cost.

If it wasn't for Yakuza 6 being on the way, I think I'd actually be tempted to sell my PS4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedShell said:

TBH, I've been gradually losing interest in the PS4 since getting a Switch..

I'm the same though I'm sure I was never as enthusiastic about the PS4 as you were!

I only picked up my PS4 for Christmas last year (A 1TB PS4 Slim with Uncharted 4, Drive Club and The Last of Us Remastered for £179.99 was basically impossible to refuse :grin: ) but while I've had a few good experiences on it, Nintendo always come along again and reaffirm their position as the best in the business and my heart will always be their's :smile:

Even so, I wouldn't sell it as we use it watch DVDs and streaming services in the living room (essential when you have a young child :heh: ) and I'm sure there will be a few more games I will desire on it. I just hope they don't disappoint me like some of the others, particularly The Evil Within which I still maintain is trash.. :blank:

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was so happy to see Spelunky 2 announced yesterday. The first game has given me so many hours of entertainment, its basically my daily game to play. I think my Steam counter for it is about to hit 1500 hours. Of course that doesnt even count the time I spent with the Vita version either!

Edited by Happenstance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nekunando said:

though I'm sure I was never as enthusiastic about the PS4 as you were!

You’re never as enthusiastic about anything as I am. :laughing:

2 hours ago, nekunando said:

and I'm sure there will be a few more games I will desire on it.

Did any of the games shown yesterday catch your eye?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedShell said:

You’re never as enthusiastic about anything as I am. :laughing:

 

:cry:

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

Did any of the games shown yesterday catch your eye?

I haven't even had a chance to check them out yet (I may do later :smile: ) but I'm sure The Last of Us Part II will be on my radar and Shadow of the Colossus will be appealing if they improve the controls :hehe:

Other than that, we'll have to see..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nekunando said:

:cry:

I haven't even had a chance to check them out yet (I may do later :smile: ) but I'm sure The Last of Us Part II will be on my radar and Shadow of the Colossus will be appealing if they improve the controls :hehe:

Other than that, we'll have to see..

Not that I know anything but I really doubt they’ll “improve” the controls unless your complaints are literally about button mapping. (Not played Last Guardian) Team Ico games control in a ‘sluggish’ manner. Everything you do has weight to it I think is the idea. No instantaneous actions and reactions.

I can’t blame anyone that doesn’t want to get past the controls as they can feel poor. To me though they’ve always felt perfectly appropriate for the games even if they take getting use to. 

Drawing weird comparisons. Climbing in BotW, it feels so fucking slow unless wasting stamina to leap. The controls are great though, instant action. Climbing in SotC, methodical in a word. Slow as Zelda yes, but have you ever tried climbing like that? Not easy, and the controls feel as though the character is truly summoning reserves of strength to perform the act. That’s just kind of how I view it and why I don’t think they’ll improve for the remaster. 

 

Anywho, if you played Evil Within (I can’t say I hated it but it didn’t grip me to play more than an hour) have you checked out Resident Evil 7?(just thinking in the horror genre is all)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Not that I know anything but I really doubt they’ll “improve” the controls unless your complaints are literally about button mapping. (Not played Last Guardian) Team Ico games control in a ‘sluggish’ manner. Everything you do has weight to it I think is the idea. No instantaneous actions and reactions.

I can’t blame anyone that doesn’t want to get past the controls as they can feel poor. To me though they’ve always felt perfectly appropriate for the games even if they take getting use to.

This. You're pretty much screwed if you dislike them. A "fix" is not gonna happen and if button mapping is your problem you already know for sure you can fix it since PS4 has a button mapping feature available regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Not that I know anything but I really doubt they’ll “improve” the controls unless your complaints are literally about button mapping. (Not played Last Guardian) Team Ico games control in a ‘sluggish’ manner. Everything you do has weight to it I think is the idea. No instantaneous actions and reactions.

I can’t blame anyone that doesn’t want to get past the controls as they can feel poor. To me though they’ve always felt perfectly appropriate for the games even if they take getting use to. 

Drawing weird comparisons. Climbing in BotW, it feels so fucking slow unless wasting stamina to leap. The controls are great though, instant action. Climbing in SotC, methodical in a word. Slow as Zelda yes, but have you ever tried climbing like that? Not easy, and the controls feel as though the character is truly summoning reserves of strength to perform the act. That’s just kind of how I view it and why I don’t think they’ll improve for the remaster. 

 

Anywho, if you played Evil Within (I can’t say I hated it but it didn’t grip me to play more than an hour) have you checked out Resident Evil 7?(just thinking in the horror genre is all)

Button-mapping wasn't the issue but it certainly didn't feel tight enough and a lot of times when I fell off a colossus it was largely down to frustrations with controls. I remember thinking at the time how much better it would have been with a Nintendo level of polish :heh:

Ico was OK, not great, while I'm sure I'll try The Last Guardian at some point when the price reaches a place that helps melt my concerns away!

I've actually been playing Resident Evil VII on and off over the last few weeks. It's definitely much more preferable to The Evil Within, and it started very encouragingly, but my enthusiasm seemed to take something of a dip as soon as the slimey enemies appeared. There was probably a part of me wishing the plot would somehow focus more on the crazy family rather than viruses and mutants.. but then what is Resident Evil without a virus :grin:

I'll give better and more complete impressions when I beat it (hopefully this week, if I get a chance) but I fear it will be yet another one of these critically acclaimed AAA games that I won't like as much as I want to, something that happens far to regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@nekunando try The Last Guardian. I personally really enjoyed it. I felt like I was on an emotive journey. The controls are naff but it is a really special gem of a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nekunando said:

 

I've actually been playing Resident Evil VII on and off over the last few weeks. It's definitely much more preferable to The Evil Within, and it started very encouragingly, but my enthusiasm seemed to take something of a dip as soon as the slimey enemies appeared. There was probably a part of me wishing the plot would somehow focus more on the crazy family rather than viruses and mutants.. but then what is Resident Evil without a virus :grin:

I'll give better and more complete impressions when I beat it (hopefully this week, if I get a chance) but I fear it will be yet another one of these critically acclaimed AAA games that I won't like as much as I want to, something that happens far to regularly.

Being a chicken shit I haven’t played since then haha. I’m sure the game still focuses on the crazies (similar to RE4 had plenty of focus on Salazar). And as much of a chicken shit as I am. I kind of want to hold off and play the game in VR. Which I’m sure will scare the shit out of me.

Most all AAA games hold disappointment, regardless of acclaim. I think it’s just something to expect. Or not expect but be wary of. Horizon is probably the only game since Last of Us to not disappoint me, my measuring stick being I platinumed the game while working 75 hours a week nightshift. Nothing else has grabbed me like that. Usually those types of hours I vegetate at home with TV not games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nolan said:

Being a chicken shit I haven’t played since then haha. I’m sure the game still focuses on the crazies (similar to RE4 had plenty of focus on Salazar). And as much of a chicken shit as I am. I kind of want to hold off and play the game in VR. Which I’m sure will scare the shit out of me.

 

It's definitely the best way to play. I mean, you're in the game. Can't get much better than that. But yes, it's truly frightening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, somme said:

It's definitely the best way to play. I mean, you're in the game. Can't get much better than that. But yes, it's truly frightening.

I've never experienced VR but every time I play Resident Evil VII I think about how much better the experience would probably be in VR..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea where else to put this news but figured this would be the best place.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-01-housemarque-says-a-bittersweet-farewell-to-arcade-shoot-em-ups

Very upsetting that, despite being rated very highly, the games did not sell. The part about how many simply wait for the games to be free is a problem other indie developers have expressed when releasing their games on the PS4. Sadly, PS+ seems to have created a way of thinking that if you wait long enough then the indie game will be on the service. A lot of the time it's not wrong to think that as it does happen a lot but this just shows it clearly has an effect on the developer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow Children closed it's doors last night, what a shame really.  Still, I popped on for a while to play for the last time last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

No idea where else to put this news but figured this would be the best place.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-01-housemarque-says-a-bittersweet-farewell-to-arcade-shoot-em-ups

Very upsetting that, despite being rated very highly, the games did not sell. The part about how many simply wait for the games to be free is a problem other indie developers have expressed when releasing their games on the PS4. Sadly, PS+ seems to have created a way of thinking that if you wait long enough then the indie game will be on the service. A lot of the time it's not wrong to think that as it does happen a lot but this just shows it clearly has an effect on the developer.

I felt that strongly about this it actually made me login the first time on here in like forever!!

Really saddened by this, can't say I played every game they release but may end up getting some more, but certainly super stardust HD, Resogun and Nex Machina were excellent. Just such good arcade games, it's a pitty more people just didn't seem interested enough to buy them.

The feeling of relieve/sense of achievement of getting the platinum on Nex was a particular highlight 😂.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike1988uk said:

I felt that strongly about this it actually made me login the first time on here in like forever!!

Really saddened by this, can't say I played every game they release but may end up getting some more, but certainly super stardust HD, Resogun and Nex Machina were excellent. Just such good arcade games, it's a pitty more people just didn't seem interested enough to buy them.

The feeling of relieve/sense of achievement of getting the platinum on Nex was a particular highlight 😂.

The combo of their games being arcade style, market saturation and the devaluing of games has killed their desire to make these types of games. It's sad when developers are making top tier games, games that they are passionate about, but aren't getting the sales they need to continue. I'm wondering that if maybe they branched out from Sony platforms earlier than they did that they could have found success elsewhere? Looking at how many indie developers are thriving on the Switch, it may have been a good idea to take a punt at putting their games on that. I mean, they got Resogun up and running on the Vita, so I assume they could get things running on a Switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The combo of their games being arcade style, market saturation and the devaluing of games has killed their desire to make these types of games. It's sad when developers are making top tier games, games that they are passionate about, but aren't getting the sales they need to continue. I'm wondering that if maybe they branched out from Sony platforms earlier than they did that they could have found success elsewhere? Looking at how many indie developers are thriving on the Switch, it may have been a good idea to take a punt at putting their games on that. I mean, they got Resogun up and running on the Vita, so I assume they could get things running on a Switch.

Yeah, clearly a decision they haven't taken lightly. 

With digital games in general I think it is harder to advertise unless they shove it down your throat on the console. I wasn't aware of Nex coming out till quite close to release, but then I don't spend as much time on gaming websites reading news etc as I used to because of time. I missed out on alienation even after I loved Resogun and had I realised would have defo bought it at the time.

Part of it is probably because I still love a good retro game at heart, give me a new pac-man game for example and you have lost me for hours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, Mike1988uk said:

Part of it is probably because I still love a good retro game at heart, give me a new pac-man game for example and you have lost me for hours. 

Yeah, as older gamers I imagine we appreciate such things because it takes us back to our childhoods and we remember a time of simpler, more focused games. I imagine a lot of younger generation gamers take a look at the style of gameplay that Housemarque make and don't see the appeal of it. Not enough open worldness or loot boxes flying about for their liking. :D 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Day one, I guess?

Got too many games on the go at the moment so I'll probably hold out for the GOTY edition.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll admit I'm not keen on Nex Machina(nor much else) at its current price due to monies issues; but I did end up buying the Alienation DLC a few months back after enjoying it so much on ps4 - so whilst it's probably an exception to the whole it isn't always terrible being a free game. Nonetheless it's a shame to see/hear Housemarque moving out of the genre is kinda sucky to hear, but then again they've done so well with what they've done so far maybe they'll excel in a new genre too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×