NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

I'm terrible at it (particularly defending) but I don't currently have PS+ anyway :heh:

Sort your life out, sort your defending out, and get online!! :D

I'm really enjoying my PS4, completed The Last Guardian last week and I'm currently working my way through Resident Evil HD. I love the controller, it's so comfortable and the analogue sticks don't have the creakiness that the Dualshock 3 had, the battery has also been lasting a lot longer than I expected.

I have a couple of gripes with the system though, rest mode uses way too much power and the console should have a setting to switch itself off once it's finished downloading, download speeds have improved for me but it still takes a few hours so i've been leaving it to download in rest mode overnight but the downloads invariably finish before I wake up so it would be nice if it was able to turn itself off once a download has completed like the Wii U does. I also don't really like the interface for the PSN store, but its certainly much faster to navigate than Nintendo's eShop.

I'm really enjoying my PS4, completed The Last Guardian last week and I'm currently working my way through Resident Evil HD. I love the controller, it's so comfortable and the analogue sticks don't have the creakiness that the Dualshock 3 had, the battery has also been lasting a lot longer than I expected.

I have a couple of gripes with the system though, rest mode uses way too much power and the console should have a setting to switch itself off once it's finished downloading, download speeds have improved for me but it still takes a few hours so i've been leaving it to download in rest mode overnight but the downloads invariably finish before I wake up so it would be nice if it was able to turn itself off once a download has completed like the Wii U does. I also don't really like the interface for the PSN store, but its certainly much faster to navigate than Nintendo's eShop.

Rest mode should be using far less energy than an active console. They do pretty well here judging by tests compared to the WiiU and Xbox One. I think one cpu core and the additional ARM cpu remain on.

I only see Switch beating it out but it is more basic and mobile hardware specced anyhow. Its a mystery to me as to how the Xbox does worse.

Edited by Choze

I'm sure I read that leaving the ps4 in rest mode would cost about 10 a year extra on the old leccy bill.

I've not looked into to exactly how much power it uses, maybe it just seems like it use more because the fans spin up a little bit in rest mode so it's more noticeable than the Wii U's standby mode.

One thing I really love about the PS4 is that you can pass all of the audio to the controller and use headphones, it's so good being able to get fully ensconced in a world - especially with something as creepy as Resident Evil.

data-bank-pro3-3-970x647-c.jpg

New data Bank 'Pro'

The versatile design allows the Data Bank to rest on top of the PS4 or alongside it, so that it can be used in both the vertical and horizontal positions. It also has a dedicated AC cord to power the drive, so it avoids pulling additional power from the console. Data Bank Pro will be available in 2017 for an MSRP of $39.99.

Good improvement! Its now not connected to the PS4 cover. May go this route. :santa:

Edited by Choze

data-bank-pro3-3-970x647-c.jpg

New data Bank 'Pro'

Good improvement! Its now not connected to the PS4 cover. May go this route. :santa:

Is anyone else getting flashbacks to the Sega Mega Drive?

No I'm getting flashbacks to the Wii. Flashbacks of trying to fit a game on and having a breakdown because there was no external HDD solutions.

Sony waves goodbye to another studio.

GamesIndustry.biz has learned that Sony is closing the Cambridge branch of Guerrilla Games. All employees will be laid off.

Sony has confirmed the impending shutdown to us, saying that the compulsory redundancies are "regrettable". The decision to close the studio comes from a review of all current PlayStation projects and resources, with the platform holder concluding: "It is necessary to make some changes to the European studios structure... in order to deliver on our strategic objectives".

Guerrilla Games Amsterdam, developer of Horizon: Zero Dawn and the Killzone series, will not be affected. We have contacted Sony to find out if other European studios are closing.

A statement from Sony regarding the closure.

Whilst we accept that this decision will mean that we risk losing high calibre staff, by focusing on other Studios with exciting new projects in development, (including continued work on PlayStation VR), we believe we will be in a stronger position going forward and able to offer the best possible content of the highest quality to our players. This decision should not take anything away from the incredible games and services that Guerrilla Cambridge has delivered.

Shame. I LOVED Killzone Mercenary. It was one of the few Vita games that truly felt AAA and showed what the little handheld was capable of. RIGs seemed to be well received, as well.

Hopefully the people who worked there will manage to find new work and land on their feet.

Think I'll be setting up two-step security. Cheers for the discussion guys.

Just catching up on the thread myself - think I'm gonna be looking into this when I get home and advising my friends of the same!!

Yeah shame about Cambridge they made good games. Killzone Mercenary was very good and RIGS has had great impressions. I hope staff do well in the future. Talented bunch.

Just catching up on the thread myself - think I'm gonna be looking into this when I get home and advising my friends of the same!!

Yes recommended! Surprised so few use these things.

I mean...what? Am I missing something? What is this? :laughing:

And here's another one:

tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

I mean...what? Am I missing something? What is this? :laughing:

tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

Close to pissing myself. The music, I mean, everything about it...

GOTY

guessing it's a prank?

Slightly worried my PS4's blu ray drive may be going. Its had a bit of trouble this morning recognising that a DVD is in it. Think I might have to look up how easy they are to replace (or maybe just the sensor like I did with my PS3).

Slightly worried my PS4's blu ray drive may be going. Its had a bit of trouble this morning recognising that a DVD is in it. Think I might have to look up how easy they are to replace (or maybe just the sensor like I did with my PS3).

It might be fine, could be that it just had difficulty reading that one DVD perhaps?

I'm a bit weird with which discs I put in certain devices though so I can't comment having not experienced DVD playback on the machine. :blush:

I've only bothered to put PS4 games in the drive of the machine, PS3 for Blu-Rays - because of the simple top-loading drive - and DVD's in the PC drive.

Try testing it with different types of DVD perhaps? I know they're all the same disc technically but it could just be ones from a particular manufacturer that the machine is having trouble with. ::shrug:

This is also interesting:

One of the stats that Light was keen to roll out was that 40% of PS4 Pro purchasers in the UK were new customers. Clearly the firm had expected the vast majority of buyers to be existing PS4 owners looking to upgrade, but that hasn't been entirely the case.

From an interview with UK boss Warwick Light. Worth a read.

Just had an email from "Sony" delivered to my inbox asking me to change my PSN password, despite not owning a PlayStation for 7 years. Obviously fake but kind of looks like something Sony might send. It's dangerous to go alone, take this (knowledge).

This is also interesting:

From an interview with UK boss Warwick Light. Worth a read.

This is what I expected to be honest, even higher though. I don't think the PS4 pro is that worthy an upgrade; but if you're jumping into PS4 then it's a no brainier to get the pro.