NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Analogue sticks work well lower down, while buttons don't. It's why the D-pad has never felt right on a 360 pad, or a gamecube pad, which is a pretty big deal as the D-pad is often used in a lot of games (particularly as shortcuts, or in indie/retro games). You already know it's fine to have a stick that low down because that's exactly where it is on the right side of the Xbox pad, and it never feels weird. I agree that it feels marginally better to have the stick a fraction higher but it's not worth the tradeoff.

That's also why some of the buttons feel unnatural and difficult to reach on the Wii U Pro controller. Shit needs a claw stance to reach them all.

That comparison isn't really a good one because there's absolutely no basis for saying that the WiiU has great online infrastructure, whereas there actually is a basis for saying that the PS4 controller is the best one. For starters, the controller is fit for purpose, features a great level of functionality (rumble, touch pad, motion sensors, share button, analogue triggers, etc) whereas the WiiU's online isn't fit for purpose and doesn't feature good functionality.

Really surprised that you think both the gamepad and pro controller are better. They're dire. The build quality is horrendous, the pro controller is flimsy and the gamepad is just a mess to use. The controller does matter since it's your primary method of input. It's what is connecting you to the game. I couldn't play the Witcher for 200/300 hours+ if I was using the gamepad because it just doesn't feel good to use. I'm eager to see what Nintendo do with the NX because if the controller is a pain to use then they can count me out.

Well, I was sort of using a funny example to make a point, but I forget that when it comes to saying anything remotely bad about ps4, then it is no joking matter!! But in some ways, there isnt that much difference, I find the PS4 so far behind, I can't believe people think it's the best controller over. Both equally crazy to me.

As for "basis", again, it's subjective. There IS a basis for likeing the Wii U online, I don't, but you know, people who coudlnt give a fuck about voice chat or playing with friends and such, it being FREE means its pretty perfect for them. My brother and nephews for example, they have wii u and ps4. Play online on the wii u, dont pay for Plus because it's yet another expense, also means we cant play fifa ps4 like we did fifa wii u online, which means to them, the paid for system is a really bad way to do an online system.

@Clownferret I mentioned the sticks having superficial damage.

Honestly I didn't even think that games were installed because it happened so seamlessly in the background.

I may not have touched on everything yet, but so far the PS4 is solid I’m happy with it. :D

This. The PS4 brings so much simplicity.

If Sony sort out the analogue sticks; too loose, poor feel on the thumb (need thumb protectors) and placement on the pad (I prefer the placement of MS's and actually Nintendo's), they'd have the best pad there is. Also, I find the analogue triggers a little too short on length, sometimes my fingers slip off.

I'd rather have a smaller D-Pad and smaller buttons, as well as a smaller grouping of the buttons, so that the analogues could both be raised... similar to the Gamepad's. If the Gamepad lost the screen, thus reducing in size, got analogue triggers and was moulded like the GC pad (but keeping the exact same positioning and grouping of analogues and face buttons), it'd be perfect!

Obviously this is all going to be different for people as everyone's hands are different.

Sony just released a new App called PS Message for both Android and IOS.

Doesn't the PSN app already cater for that though? Why release another instead??

Doesn't the PSN app already cater for that though? Why release another instead??

So ISIS can keep in touch with each other even quicker.

The left stick should be higher up, like XB1 & Wii U controllers. I'm struggling to think if I've ever used the d-pad.

The right stick is subjective depending on what game you're playing. Fifa in Wii U is a pain because the buttons are not in the prime location, however COD works brilliantly on the gamepad as you mostly use the right stick.

But back to my initial point Sony are just plain lazy or bereft of ideas when it comes to controllers, apart from the analogue sticks the DS4 looks pretty much the same as the PS1 controller.

We know that Messages is the most used feature of the PlayStation App, so we created the standalone PlayStation Messages app with a more streamlined design in order to get you into your Messages and communicating with your friends faster than ever before.
That and alot of people demands it.

I would say the Dual Shock has progressed in all the areas it needed to. The sticks are better than they used to be, the triggers have been massively improved, the trackpad...is also there :p

Fair enough if certain people dont like the stick placement but probably just as many such as myself are absolutely fine with it. If Sony dont want to change it then they dont need to change it. I dont need them changing up the controller every gen just for the sake of it. Im much happier with them simply fixing smaller problems, which they have.

The dual shock has certainly come a long way, it's not there yet though, IMO. The shape is no good, the material is too hard (making it less comfortable, more slippery and more prone to breaking). The sticks are probably still a smidge too short. They're improved vastly by big concave thumbstick protectors:

With a pair of these on (the 4 dot ones, the others are useless) - you're golden.

31Z8XJBOVdL._SX385_.jpg

Im happy enough with the shape and material used personally. The thumb pad materials are definitely an issue though. Luckily I havent had it happen with my controller but its widespread enough that hopefully Sony will take note.

I had a go at getting my PS4 streaming to my laptop, while still using the ps4 controller last night. Almost did it, but it turns out the Internet isn't strong enough in my bedroom to steam stuff from the living room. Still, it's pretty cool that it's possible at all.

There are two things that annoy me about the PS4 controller.

1) The battery life is pretty poor, almost as bad as the Wii U Gamepad. Thankfully it charges via micro-USB so I can just stick it on my phone charger/plug it into my laptop.

2)The option button. It really annoys me when you load up a game and on the title screen it says Press Option. Title screens should say Press Start! I know that's a pretty minor thing to be annoyed about, but yeah. They should've just called it the start button like all controllers preceding it!

Other than that I have no problems with it, not even the supposedly dodgy sticks, but maybe I just haven't had mine long enough for them to go bad.

Im happy enough with the shape and material used personally. The thumb pad materials are definitely an issue though. Luckily I havent had it happen with my controller but its widespread enough that hopefully Sony will take note.

Yeah, it ain't happened to mine either. I've had my PS4 since last July and I'm using the same pad I got with it. Considering the amount of hours I game on the thing, I thought the sticks would have fell apart by now. ::shrug:

The crappy rubber on the sticks is an issue with earls DS4s. The problem has been rectified so it shouldn't happen again. All my launch controllers had crappy rubber but the replacements and the new ones I bought don't have an issue.

Broken triggers? That's a whole other issue.

I got my PS4 the June after release and the controller that came with it is still in perfect condition, bar the battery. I bought a second controller quite a while after and the rubber on the stick split a little. Just put one of those dotted protectors over it and it's fine - although I don't like using it as I prefer the sticks without the protectors.

But back to my initial point Sony are just plain lazy or bereft of ideas when it comes to controllers, apart from the analogue sticks the DS4 looks pretty much the same as the PS1 controller.

Yeah, they keep needing to change their controllers to keep up with our rapidly evolving hands.

On a serious note, massive change for the sake of change sucks. The PS controller has been progressively refined over the generations. That's exactly what Nintendo should have done with the gamecube pad, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel every time.

Edited by Sheikah

That and alot of people demands it.

More people are demanding that you should be able to remove content from your library.

Most places are selling for £19.99 now.

Yeah exactly, I was hoping this was going to be £20, two for that would be great! I'll wait until I clear a little backlog and hope it's a tenner in the january sales.

Another PS2 game heads to the PS4 next week.

The PlayStation 2 classics keep coming on PS4, with PaRappa the Rapper 2 revealed as the latest addition to the raft of titles for the console's emulator. Recent PS2 releases available on PS4 include Dark Cloud, GTA: Vice City, Twisted Metal: Black and The Mark of Kri.

According to the latest episode of the PlayStation Blogcast, PaRappa the Rapper 2 will be heading to PlayStation 4 on 15th December, bringing back the 2001 rhythm action title with some more infectious tunes to tap along to.

No pricing has been revealed for PaRappa the Rapper 2, but you can expect it to be priced along the same lines as previous emulated PlayStation 2 titles on PS4. Just remember: kick, punch, it's all in the mind.