NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Hello! Pawel from 11 bit studios here with the latest trailer for This War of Mine: The Little Ones where you can see actual game footage from the PS4 for the very first time.

I also want to give you a bit of insight into the kind of experience you will have in the game, from the perspective of a ‘little one’. To do that, I want you to turn on your imagination and put yourself in their shoes.

Imagine you are a 10 year old child. Right now you’re trapped with your father in a city under siege. There is nowhere to run. Then you and your father are joined by another two civilians – it may be easier and safer to stay together.

It’s already winter, and you start to feel unwell. Bruno – one of the guys who joined your little group and who initially seemed a bit selfish gives you some medication after you ask him for help. It’s the very last bit of medicine. Let’s hope you feel better, if not someone will have to go and get some more under the cover of night.

Bruno tries to cook something from the last pieces of food he has on an improvised stove. Later, you get bored but your father told you to stay in the shelter because it’s too dangerous outside.

Hey, maybe you could run up and down the stairway? It gets boring after a while. Let’s play some hopscotch then.

Something feels wrong. You notice your father is sad. The other folk also seem a bit down. You realise that things may end up badly. They act normal but they know the truth. And as energetic as you are, those bad feelings sneak into your mind too.

You feel like talking to your Dad. You want to hear something good, have a glimpse of your old, happy life. Dad always knows how to cheer you up. It’s not that bad outside, especially when he finds a moment to play rock-paper-scissors with you, right? Dad is trying to fix a broken wooden bed – the only bed in the building, for you, so at least you don’t have to sleep on the cold floor.

You go to talk to Roman, the other civilian hiding in the shelter with you. Roman is a nice guy. He says he will teach you how to collect rainwater and how to filter it quickly. That’s better. You can help these people after all. Roman promises to teach you how to grow herbs tomorrow.

As the evening comes closer, you feel the tension growing. Dad and the guys talk, someone has to go outside and try to find some food. Then it turns out it will be him. You realise this is very serious. You may not see him return tomorrow…

That is just a glimpse into the kind of experience you will have in TWoM: The Little Ones. You are the narrator of the story and you’ll decide what happens with the father and with his kid…

Interesting looking game. This is the first i've heard/seen of it.

It has finally arrived! :yay:

I'm too excited to wait for my brother to get home. I'm gonna set this up right now! :bouncy:

Interesting looking game. This is the first i've heard/seen of it.

That looks stunning! :o

Some of my thoughts so far.

The ui looks nice and it’s quick and easy to get around. Going in and out of a game using the home button is really smooth with hardly any delay. I also like how it arranges your recently used icons and how it displays what your friends have been doing on the 'what's new' tab.

Friend list is easy to use and party chat works really well. Going to the party screen after getting an invite is easy and fast.

Recording and sharing videos is a pretty awesome feature although I’ve not used it yet.

I’m not that fussed about the camera atm so I doubt I’ll get one anytime soon.

At first I didn't think I’d like the controller, man was I wrong. Its a huge improvement over the PS3 controller, feels great in my hands and the thumb sticks do not suck. I’m really happy about that. I think the light/glow on the controller is a nice touch.

The battery life isn't the best but i can live with it.

Honestly I didn't even think that games were installed because it happened so seamlessly in the background.

I may not have touched on everything yet, but so far the PS4 is solid I’m happy with it. :D

Some of my thoughts so far.

The ui looks nice and it’s quick and easy to get around. Going in and out of a game using the home button is really smooth with hardly any delay. I also like how it arranges your recently used icons and how it displays what your friends have been doing on the 'what's new' tab.

Friend list is easy to use and party chat works really well. Going to the party screen after getting an invite is easy and fast.

Recording and sharing videos is a pretty awesome feature although I’ve not used it yet.

I’m not that fussed about the camera atm so I doubt I’ll get one anytime soon.

At first I didn't think I’d like the controller, man was I wrong. Its a huge improvement over the PS3 controller, feels great in my hands and the thumb sticks do not suck. I’m really happy about that. I think the light/glow on the controller is a nice touch.

The battery life isn't the best but i can live with it.

Honestly I didn't even think that games were installed because it happened so seamlessly in the background.

I may not have touched on everything yet, but so far the PS4 is solid I’m happy with it. :D

The controller surprised me, too. It's reeeeeeally comfortable. Definitely my favourite ever controller now.

My verdict on the controller is still out. It's not as horrendous as previous PS ones, but I still prefer XB360 and Gamecube.

Hmmmm. I may still buy Rogue Galaxy for £11.99 as I always wanted to play it but most PS2 games I expect I'll wait until sales come up.

The controller surprised me, too. It's reeeeeeally comfortable. Definitely my favourite ever controller now.

WHAT?! Crazy talk!! It's better than PS3 but I still don't think it's amazing. My biggest issue is how loose the sticks are, they've always been bad, it's better, but the level of control is nowhere as good as most other first party controllers from nintendo and MS.

Just realised I still have Alien from last year... I'm going to get on that this week I reckon. Then Wolfenstein. Then I have no retail game backlog on PS4. May blitz PS plus games and try and get one console down on the backlog. Then move on to the vita!

I tried to connect my kids Vita to the PS4 so I could play FFVII some more. I didn't realise you had to link it using the same profiles, and you can only have 1 profile per vita. Anyone have a workaround for this?

WHAT?! Crazy talk!! It's better than PS3 but I still don't think it's amazing. My biggest issue is how loose the sticks are, they've always been bad, it's better, but the level of control is nowhere as good as most other first party controllers from nintendo and MS.

Just realised I still have Alien from last year... I'm going to get on that this week I reckon. Then Wolfenstein. Then I have no retail game backlog on PS4. May blitz PS plus games and try and get one console down on the backlog. Then move on to the vita!

It's not that crazy. Imo, the pad is weighted perfectly (my grip with the One controller and Pro Controller), it's not obtrusively large (like the GamePad) and it's got a better d-pad and symmetry that the GameCube controller doesn't have. It's the most comfortable pad and it would have to be for longer gaming sessions.

The 360/One pads are also great but don't quite have that edge for me that the PS4 controller has. I don't really have a problem with the analogues either.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I think you'll find you're very much in the small minority who thinks the PS4 controller is bad (but then, you're often thinking most of the PS4 is junk anyway). Just like most, I think the PS4 controller is the best one out there. Such a massive improvement over the PS3 pad and I like it more than the X1 pad too.

Also, Nintendo's pads post-gamecube are garbage. The Wii U Pro controller is a joke compared to anything Microsoft and Sony have put out there. It's like it was designed as an afterthought and unfortunately for us, probably was.

Edited by Sheikah

The PS4 pad is definitely my favourite current one. The Xbox One pad would be up there as well if it wasnt for those terrible bumpers.

I love the PS4 controller. It's right up there with the Cube one for me.

I agree with Dazzy, it's not the best controller for me either. The battery life is terrible for one thing, but it's comfortable which is the main thing.

I'm tempted to say the Xbox One Elite controller is my favourite at the moment.

Sheikhah why do you try and demean my opinion by (pretty much) saying - you think it's all rubbish anyway so your opinion is invalid. Why throw that in there? They're all separate things!

Interesting that people rate it, I hate the stick isn't the in the primary position, but underneath, the accuracy of the sticks are awful too. It does feel much better than the DS 3 though (which gave me weird marks on my hands where the screws went) and it doesn't ooze gunk either... though there is superficial damage to one of my sticks annoyingly.

I think it's good. But I think the ONE, 360, Gamepad and Pro Controller are far far better.

Saying this, I'm not THAT bothered about controllers really, don't think about it in the main. I'm playing a fair bit of apple tv and the controller with that isn't great either (Nimbus). I was just surprised Fierce said it was the best controller ever which in my mind would be like saying the wii u has the best online infrastructure there's ever been!

Dazzy no offence, but when you type in caps and say people are saying "crazy talk" when they say they think the PS4 controller is the best they've used, can you not see how people might think you are also being rather demeaning? Just saying a little perspective helps, as I know you didn't like the way I just spoke back to you...

The PS4 controller is my 2nd favorite controller, just behind the Gamecube pad. Comparing the PS4 one to earlier PlayStation controllers, this is a vast improvement over earlier ones. Much more comfortable, and easier to hold for longer periods.

I tried to connect my kids Vita to the PS4 so I could play FFVII some more. I didn't realise you had to link it using the same profiles, and you can only have 1 profile per vita. Anyone have a workaround for this?

As far as I found when researching recently - no. I had to add/use my friend's profile on my PS4 just to test the bloody thing out! The only other option is using diff memory cards and doing a reset every time - it's madness!

I agree with Dazzy, it's not the best controller for me either. The battery life is terrible for one thing, but it's comfortable which is the main thing.

My opinion on the pad is generally mu - just not found anything I particularly hate or love about it, but I was going to ask; exactly when does the battery life start getting terrible? I find it pretty reasonable so far! I've only had it 3 months though. Think only twice have I got to a red light with it.

exactly when does the battery life start getting terrible? I find it pretty reasonable so far!

Same here. I don't get the complaints.

I can play for about 6-7 hours with one charge. Seems ok to me.

Saying this, I'm not THAT bothered about controllers really, don't think about it in the main. I'm playing a fair bit of apple tv and the controller with that isn't great either (Nimbus). I was just surprised Fierce said it was the best controller ever which in my mind would be like saying the wii u has the best online infrastructure there's ever been!

That comparison isn't really a good one because there's absolutely no basis for saying that the WiiU has great online infrastructure, whereas there actually is a basis for saying that the PS4 controller is the best one. For starters, the controller is fit for purpose, features a great level of functionality (rumble, touch pad, motion sensors, share button, analogue triggers, etc) whereas the WiiU's online isn't fit for purpose and doesn't feature good functionality.

Really surprised that you think both the gamepad and pro controller are better. They're dire. The build quality is horrendous, the pro controller is flimsy and the gamepad is just a mess to use. The controller does matter since it's your primary method of input. It's what is connecting you to the game. I couldn't play the Witcher for 200/300 hours+ if I was using the gamepad because it just doesn't feel good to use. I'm eager to see what Nintendo do with the NX because if the controller is a pain to use then they can count me out.

I honestly don't know anyone other than the staunchest Nintendo fans who think the Gamepad is a great controller. It's just...huge. Unwieldly, has a low res screen that makes games look worse, the right stick is placed in a daft position, it has poor triggers and the buttons are a bit junk. It feels like those Vtech pads you saw as a kid. You know when they release a Wii U Pro controller they are essentially confirming that many people did not want to use the thing. I bet if you polled people, most would just want Nintendo to stop dicking about with their controllers and make something ergonomic and sensible.

Through many, many hours of use of the Wii U Pro controller (particularly Mario Kart) I also have major beefs with it. Stick placement, really hard buttons, and a cheap and light flimsy feel. It's night and day versus the gamecube pad. Night and day.

I remember the first time I ever held the Wii U Gamepad when it was tethered to a demo unit in HMV in Belfast. I hated it as soon as I touched it and never thought it would be comfortable.

Fast forward a couple of months and receiving the Wii U for Christmas from my brother. An hour or 2 later and it just felt normal to me, much like most other Nintendo controllers I've used in the past. I actually like the placement of the sticks but it's slightly more problematic on the Wii U Pro Controller as I find 'Y' and 'B' to be uncomfortably out of reach :hmm:

If Nintendo do go with a more conventional controller for NX, I hope they really do nail it, though, as I feel their standards have slipped a little in this area. The Wii Remote & Nunchuk is AWESOME but other peripherals, like the Wii Classic Controller and the Classic Controller Pro definitely suffer from a lack of quality.

I can't really comment on the PS4 controller, though, as I only ever held it for 5 seconds in GAME one day but didn't have anything to play..

whilst I find the PS4 comfortable, the analogue sticks are in the wrong place, they are stuck down the bottom because that's where that could fit them when they first used them and never thought to move them. Let's face it the d-pad is very much the secondary control method and yet it's in the prime location.

Sony have always been lazy with their control design, but my biggest complaint (and I can't believe nobody else is mentioning this as I know it's a massive design flaw) is that the analogue sticks fall apart. I've had my PS4 less than a year and have 3 controllers, two of them have sticks that have bits missing, plus the touch pad and triggers are sticking. Bottom line, they are badly made and certainly not built to last.

whilst I find the PS4 comfortable, the analogue sticks are in the wrong place, they are stuck down the bottom because that's where that could fit them when they first used them and never thought to move them. Let's face it the d-pad is very much the secondary control method and yet it's in the prime location.

Sony have always been lazy with their control design, but my biggest complaint (and I can't believe nobody else is mentioning this as I know it's a massive design flaw) is that the analogue sticks fall apart. I've had my PS4 less than a year and have 3 controllers, two of them have sticks that have bits missing, plus the touch pad and triggers are sticking. Bottom line, they are badly made and certainly not built to last.

Agreed. If you grip the left hand side, your thumb ends up hovering over the d-pad. You have to stretch it down and across to reach the stick.

I do like the touch-pad bit though, that's snazzy.