NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Thanks you for the recommends guys. As the rest of the Smashing Cast will tell you I'm looking feverishly for opportunities to use my new capture card, so if I do pick up any of these games I may make a small video review/impressions thing.

• Thanks 1

Just a counterpoint to the suggestions - I've never played any of the Shenmue titles before but finally got round to installing Shenmue I and II on my PS4.

I don't stop playing many games after 20 or so minutes, but this was one. I thought it was a cruel joke, like, some in joke that I was not privy to. Some of the jankiest movement, awkward NPCs and obscenely bad voice acting I have ever seen in a game.

I can see how this game might have wowed back in the day when no other games had such a big scope. But man, as someone with no nostalgia to sustain me, this was really rough. I was extra disappointed as a lot of the flaws seemed like they could have been worked on given it's a remaster.

• Like 1

Is the ps 4 really any good I haven't seen many good games on it . I don't think teres anything that really jumps out at me. Or am I wrong

4 minutes ago, euroninfan said:

Is the ps 4 really any good I haven't seen many good games on it . I don't think teres anything that really jumps out at me. Or am I wrong

It's a great console, I'll recommend the same games I posted one page back if you were thinking of buying one...

Devil May Cry Trilogy
Devil May Cry 5
God of War
InFAMOUS Second Son/First Light
Resident Evil 2
Shenmue I & II
Shenmue III
Yakuza series

All good games on the PS4, well worth playing.

On 30/12/2019 at 2:31 PM, LazyBoy said:

The wife was kind enough to get me a PS4 for Christmas, a lovely surprise. It came with Last of Us, which I've played before, Horizon which I'm looking forward to, and Uncharted 4.

Uncharted is really not my kind of game, and I would never buy it full price, but I can appreciate it for what it is. The characters, dialogue and pacing are up there with the best in Video Games, and though I'll never play it twice it is a fun ride whilst it lasts. 

So I'm thinking over what I was to buy. Would any of you add anything to the following list?:

Bloodborne

Dark Souls 3

Sekiro

Death Stranding

Fallout 4

I would recommend:

The Witcher 3 + DLCs
Overwatch 
GTA 5
God of War
Uncharted 4
Uncharted collection
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Bloodborne (which you mentioned)
Sekiro (Eenuh is playing this)
Nioh
The BioShock collection (hnnnngggg)
Alien: Isolation

Basically, there's a shit ton to play and more if you keep looking. Definitely get The Witcher 3.  

• Thanks 1

Very impressive that aprox. 4 million PS4s have been sold in the holiday season even though Switch dominated it and Microsoft was pretty agressive with their XBox pricing.

Sony really needs to get the PS5 launch right to keep that momentum. 

Edited by drahkon

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

Sony really needs to get the PS5 launch right to keep that momentum. 

100%. You can really see how hungry Xbox are going into this next generation, and while I personally feel they've got a lot over PlayStation at the moment (off the top of my head: Game Pass; backwards compatibility - sure, we know we'll get PS4 BC, but will there be any more besides that; and their aggressively low pricing, as you mentioned), they're still missing the biggest part for me (and I assume most others here): games. And not just AAA games, AA games, and strongly supported indies, but a variety of games. It's all well and good bringing a host of Kingdom Hearts and Yakuza games across (well after they've launched, mind you), but knowing that games like Persona 6 and Dragon Quest XII are practically locked in as exclusives (if not being on everything but Xbox), as well as presumably all of the parts of Final Fantasy VII Remake likely staying timed exclusives? 

I'm planning to get a PS5 on day one, and I have very little reason not to. There just isn't enough to tempt me into buying an Xbox to sit next to it at the moment, and even if there were, would I even have time to play it with most of the year filled with generally critically acclaimed Switch and PlayStation exclusives anyways? ::shrug: not to mention that I haven't picked up a Pro yet, and have enough games I want to play on PS4 still to justify that purchase with backwards compatibility.

Looking forward to seeing how this one plays out, but I think a sign of how things might go down will be on display at E3. Assuming PlayStation returns, they are known for presenting after their main competitor, and if things are scheduled in a similar fashion during E3 week this year, we better see some passion from Xbox having figured that out, and rescheduling to go after. But if what we've seen so far with Series X and PS5 continues (i.e. Xbox coming out first with a reveal of Series X for no real reason, guns blazing in press conferences and at TGAs), I'm hesitant to believe they'll change their ways.

Definitely have Bosman on my mind while we wait for the PS5 reveal event.

Should be a fun few months :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sony are dishing out a bunch of stats for your gaming time during 2019.

Here are a few of mine.

EOP1PZjX4AA7jg1?format=jpg&name=large

EOP1PaqX0AE0qXa?format=jpg&name=large

EOP1TYDW4AAJKa0?format=jpg&name=large

EOP1TZLX4AAtJ-0?format=jpg&name=large

EOP1PZtW4AAoi5O?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah, the online stat was clearly done before I started playing Monster Hunter: Iceborne at the end of December. :D 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 3

Just now, drahkon said:

Doesn't work correctly for me. It says I only played 3 games. :D 

Was one of the Slay the Spire? If so, then it works perfectly. :p 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Was one of the Slay the Spire? If so, then it works perfectly. :p 

Nope. :D 

Crypt of the Necrodancer
World of Final Fantasy
VA-11 HALL-A

All PSVita games :laughing: 

My prime time to play is: "NULL NULL". I apparently live in a simulation.

• Like 1

Mine was accurate, reminding me that I only played 4 games on PS4 all year. 

Apparently I spent longer in Shenmue III than I had thought, it was my most played at 39 hours. Next was RE2, then Life is Strange 2 finally followed by 11 -11: Memories Retold. 

Welp.

PLAYSTATION 2019 Wrap-Up is only available in select locations. Users must also be 18 years or older and have more than 10 gameplay hours for 2019 prior to December 10th.

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Sony are dishing out a bunch of stats for your gaming time during 2019.

Nintendo did this a month or so ago but it was only available in the US :mad:

Welp.
PLAYSTATION 2019 Wrap-Up is only available in select locations. Users must also be 18 years or older and have more than 10 gameplay hours for 2019 prior to December 10th.

I get this as well, must be a bug.

Yeah, pretty big news that one. It's an interesting move and one that will no doubt bring a new audience to Sony's games and a new cash flow to the company.

Microsoft games on PC and Nintendo consoles. Sony games on PC. Crazy times we live in. Time for Nintendo to break the walls down and join the party. :D 

Interesting news about Horizon, it must be on the back of Death Stranding coming over - they've seen how to optimise the Decima engine for PC. I doubt that we'll get any brand new Sony releases coming out on PC for a while but I can see them bringing the PS4 Spider-Man and God of War over in the next couple of years

Somehow Sakurai managed to play 242 PS4 games in 2019. Does the man have a hyperbolic time chamber or something? He works himself to the point of exhaustion on Smash but still finds time to play more games than @Hero-of-Time

Edited by killthenet
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Somehow Sakurai managed to play 242 PS4 games in 2019. Does the man have a hyperbolic time chamber or something? He works himself to the point of exhaustion on Smash but still finds time to play more games than @Hero-of-Time

I saw this earlier.

I mean, I wouldn't put it past the fella - he's an industrious workhorse, and if he applied that to playing games too, I wouldn't put it past him. But surely played doesn't necessarily mean completed? He might have completed 30 or so of those games and dabbled with the rest, or he might have just dabbled with all of them. 

Not to take anything away from it, because that's a high number even if he was just dabbling with some. 

But don't worry @Hero-of-Time, don't think you've got any competition here :p

• Haha 2