Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You must have been a naughty boy this year. :p 

I'm always naughty.

kiss.gif

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

It automatically got filtered to my gmail promotions folder which I never usually look in. 

Do they also explain how to view in text only mode?

I've just skimmed the thread but not that I can see.

2 hours ago, Mandalore said:

It automatically got filtered to my gmail promotions folder which I never usually look in. 

Do they also explain how to view in text only mode?

You probably need to use the web based email client, have a look in the menus. Otherwise try moving your mouse over the text, right click and choose inspect element, or something similar.

My brother got himself a PS4 slim on Black Friday. He's a Spider-man fan, so he got that with it. It's the very first Sony console in the house. Any suggestions for cheap preferrably non-digital  gifts? I'm not familiar with current prices for games

5 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Hide contents

My brother got himself a PS4 slim on Black Friday. He's a Spider-man fan, so he got that with it. It's the very first Sony console in the house. Any suggestions for cheap preferrably non-digital  gifts? I'm not familiar with current prices for games

I reckon Dangerous Driving is a good purchase if he has played and liked the Burnout games in the past.

If not then... Dragon Quest XI must be cheap on the PS4 by now.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Hide contents

If it's the first Sony console then there's plenty to catch up on. In terms of Sony exclusives I recommend games like the Uncharted Collection (1-4 & Lost Legacy), God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Ratchet & Clank, Concreate Genie, Detroit: Become Human and Until Dawn. 

For 3rd party games, shout out to Yakuza 0, Nioh, Persona 5, Dragon Quest XI, Resident Evil 2, Kingdom Hearts series and Monster Hunter World.

Beauty of picking up a PS4 now is that a lot of games are dirt cheap, including the ones I mentioned. You're probably looking at paying no more than £15 for any of those games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

He can play a mostly superior DQ XI on my Switch, and he's not really interested in that. He's not a hardcore gamer, he even put Spider-man on easy since he's not used to action games anymore. The Soul games and similar are a no-go, eventhough I think he likes the setting of Sekiro. I know roughly what games he'd like (not many), but was curious for any out of the box suggestions, relaxed indie games perhaps. Plus bonus points if I like it as well haha. But one of the games mentioned I can't go wrong with. Unfortunately that one and Spider-man aren't doing much for me haha. I mean I'm going to play them.. But I'm not in a hurry to play them.

I'm keeping things a bit vague, as while not often, he occasionally lurks here.

Edited by Sméagol

My vote goes to the Uncharted series.

At lower difficulties the games are very enjoyable to non-regular gamers and they're great action-entertainment. :peace:  

8 minutes ago, drahkon said:

My vote goes to the Uncharted series.

At lower difficulties the games are very enjoyable to non-regular gamers and they're great action-entertainment. :peace:  

I actually re-installed the collection the other week as I fancy playing through them all again some time soon. As you say, you can just stick them all on easy, run and gun without any hassle and sit back and enjoy the writing.

Sully: I'm sweating like a hooker in a church.
Nate: You brought a hooker to church?"
Sully: Why not?

:D 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Sully: I'm sweating like a hooker in a church.
Nate: You brought a hooker to church?"
Sully: Why not?

It's interesting how I would dislike this conversation in an action movie, but throughly enjoy it in video games like Uncharted. I don't know what it is. I don't like those cookie-cutter action movies but when they're packed into a video game I sit there with a smile on my face all the way through :D 

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I actually re-installed the collection the other week as I fancy playing through them all again some time soon

They do make for some great holiday entertainment :peace: 

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

It's interesting how I would dislike this conversation in an action movie, but throughly enjoy it in video games like Uncharted. I don't know what it is. I don't like those cookie-cutter action movies but when they're packed into a video game I sit there with a smile on my face all the way through :D 

The back and forth between the characters is always a laugh to listen to. Whilst it's still there in Uncharted 4, I do feel a little bit of the light hearted nature of it was lost due to the more serious tone of the game.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

Looks like Sony resent the festive gift emails, my 30% off code is displaying properly this time. 

Anyone got some recommendations for download exclusives to use the code on? 

22 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Looks like Sony resent the festive gift emails, my 30% off code is displaying properly this time. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It looks like a major Sony made game is heading to other platforms.

This is a pretty big deal. MLB has been a huge hit over Sony over the years and moving it to other consoles will no doubt be very profitable for them. It's the only big baseball game out there at the moment. 

That's both Microsoft and Sony putting games on current competitors platforms. Your move, Nintendo. :p 

• Like 1

I really need to try this series out. There's now 3 of them on the PS4 and I've yet to play a single one. 

You interested in this, @Ike?

30 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You interested in this, @Ike?

I'll probably pick it up, hope it gets a physical release, but I have the PC port already. At this point I'd rather have an localisation announcement for Ys IX.

19 minutes ago, Ike said:

I'll probably pick it up, hope it gets a physical release, but I have the PC port already. At this point I'd rather have an localisation announcement for Ys IX.

Yeah, there is a physical release as well.

56 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, there is a physical release as well.

Good news, will defo buy.

The wife was kind enough to get me a PS4 for Christmas, a lovely surprise. It came with Last of Us, which I've played before, Horizon which I'm looking forward to, and Uncharted 4.

Uncharted is really not my kind of game, and I would never buy it full price, but I can appreciate it for what it is. The characters, dialogue and pacing are up there with the best in Video Games, and though I'll never play it twice it is a fun ride whilst it lasts. 

So I'm thinking over what I was to buy. Would any of you add anything to the following list?:

Bloodborne

Dark Souls 3

Sekiro

Death Stranding

Fallout 4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

So I'm thinking over what I was to buy. Would any of you add anything to the following list?:

Bloodborne

Dark Souls 3

Sekiro

Death Stranding

Fallout 4

Congrats on getting a PS4. :D

I'd recommend...

Devil May Cry Trilogy
Devil May Cry 5
God of War
InFAMOUS Second Son/First Light
Resident Evil 2
Shenmue I & II
Shenmue III
Yakuza series

Those are just the obvious games which stick out in the library to me, I'm sure there are plenty of others. :)

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Cheers Sam - can you pick out a single Yakuza I should play?

Nope, it's all or nothing with Yakuza. :cool:

But it is best to play through them all I hear. :)

@RedShell will probably be able to answer you in more detail being that he's played them all. :D

He'll probably advise you play them all as well though... ;)

I'd suggest starting with Yakuza 0 and see how you get on. :peace:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

He'll probably advise you play them all as well though... ;)

Yep. :grin: 

13 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I'd suggest starting with Yakuza 0 and see how you get on. :peace:

This is a good (and more sensible) suggestion though. As much as I love the Yakuza series, it’s blatantly not for everyone, even some of the people from here who eventually got into it weren’t too sure at first. :heh: And I’m pretty sure Yakuza 0 can be picked up very cheaply these days.

@LazyBoy, some more recommendations for you...

Alien Isolation (although this is now also available on Switch)

Metal Gear Solid V

Nioh

Transformers Devastation

Trackmania Turbo 

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 1