NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

I got an email a month before my subscription automatically renewed. But maybe I'm special. P0vWW3b.gif

I also knew it would auto-renew in advance because I know how online subscriptions work...

Edited by Magnus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

I got an email a month before my subscription automatically renewed. Bu maybe I'm special. P0vWW3b.gif

I also knew it would auto-renew in advance because I know how online subscriptions work...

I get one too. Don't think it's a whole month before, but it's definitely enough in advance to cancel if I want to.

Edit: just checked and I get an email 2 weeks before renewal is due 

Edited by Goafer

Just did a quick search on Twitter and it's full of people asking for refunds because they got charged without any warning. In fact half of them seem to be saying they'd switched auto-renew off and it still signed them up for another year. Seems a pretty flaky system, I haven't got any email from them apart from "Thanks for your purchase!". Oh well, hopefully they'll give me a full refund.

6 years ago today the PS4 came out in the UK.

Still got the launch model, still working well.

Resogun was one of the first games i played on the machine, and it still looks good to this day.  Couldn't quite hit the high scores people were getting, but it was a fun experience none the less.  Another of my highlights include Horizon Zero Dawn, that was just a fantastic experience throughout.  I plan to replay it before the PS5 comes out, and hopefully Platinum it.

The PS4 was my first proper experience of a PlayStation machine, and can't fault it.  Got a Vita soon afterwards on a recommendation from @Sheikah

Edited by Jimbob
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

6 years ago today the PS4 came out in the UK.

I was thinking about that today, too. 6 freaking years. Crazy how time flies.

I've upgraded to a Pro about 18 months ago. No regrets. The PS4 is my favourite console/gaming device ever (followed by PSVita :().

And it's insane how it's still going. Selling well, with some great titles still on the way. Couldn't be happier with it :D In fact, I bought a 12 month PS+ subscription today because I will definitely get my value out of it next year (and it was only 30 bucks, so :p).

• Thanks 1

I'm still on my launch model PS4, it's sobering to think that beyond a few games which I would keep coming back to, I've barely played on my PS4 at all in those six years. :(

Of course, there are plenty of games on it I still plan to play, but it has just really hit home that I need to start prioritising what I play a lot more if I'm to stand any chance at all.

Devil May Cry, Shenmue and Yakuza... those are the three main seris I'll be prioritising playing for now.

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne and Dangerous Driving... those are the two games I'll go back to inbetween playing other games hopefully.

God of War and NieR Automata at some point.

Well, it's a start. ::shrug:

I'm glad I got a PS4 but I haven't played it anywhere near as much as I thought I would, and it's been collecting dust for a year. I've also wasted money on PS+ for a few of those years, I don't think I once fired up any of the free games they offered, but that last part is more down to me just not finding the service particularly attractive.

Enjoyed Detroit, Tearaway Unfolded (so much wasted potential), Shadow of the Colossus Remake and God of War on it though, struggling to think of any other big games that made a lasting impression. Infamous was fun and the Order looked stunning for sure.

I think my highlights have been Persona 5, Witcher 3, Shenmue 3 (and the 1 and 2 collection), Until Dawn, Red Dead Redemption 2, Nier Automata and GTAV. All masterpieces IMO.

I enjoyed Horizon, Yakuza 0, SotC, No Man's Sky and Spider-Man.

It had a slow start (I didn't buy one until around 10 months into the life cycle) but once it got going there was no stopping it.

I've had so many great gaming experiences, from Infamous Second Son all the way up until Death Stranding. The console ushered in a revival of Japanese developed games, something which was sorely lacking during the last generation. World of Final Fantasy, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Dragon Quest Builders, Dragon Quest XI, Yakuza 0, Tales of series, Kingdom Hearts 3...the list goes on. All absolute amazing titles that I lapped up. It also hosted the reinvention of the Monster Hunter series, which is something that needed to happen, and Capcom were well paid for bringing the series back home.

The console gave VR a push to the more mainstream audience and gave me the opportunity to finally try VR without having to break the bank. Astro Bot will forever go down as one of the most amazing and engaging gaming experiences I have ever had in my life. I think the technology still has a long way to go but this was a great first step at an affordable unit.

I think Sony went from strength to strength with their exclusives this generation. If you look at what they started off with and look at where they are now there's no denying that some of their studios have have matured and grown. Thanks to things like Horizon, God of War, Uncharted and Spider-Man, their 1st party studios now seem to command a lot of respect from both within the industry and gamers alike. 

The mix of high quality 1st party software and very strong 3rd party software, all spaced out very well ( Sony seems to let the 3rd parties have the second half of the year while they fill in the first half ), has led to me never really feeling a drought period throughout the whole of the time that I have owned it. The amount of variety on the thing is staggering. I've put in a crazy amount of time on the PS4 across a stupid amount of games and I don't think it has ever let me down in terms of features or software. It's done and played everything that I wanted. Hell of a console and it's easily up there as being one of my favourite consoles of all time. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

I was thinking about that today, too. 6 freaking years. Crazy how time flies.

Also, after looking at the bottom of the forum page I just realised something else, the PS4 was released on your birthday so Happy Birthday @drahkon :D (and to the PS4)

Are you going to play anything tonight to celebrate or are you off out? ;) Either way, have a good one.

Maybe I'll play one of those games you keep recommending so often... I did actually pick one up recently, Enter the Gungeon... on the Switch though of course.

Perhaps I'll give that a blast later, or start/finish one of the many PS4 games I've been meaning to which are listed in my previous post. :peace:

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Also, after looking at the bottom of the forum page I just realised something else, the PS4 was released on your birthday so Happy Birthday @drahkon :D (and to the PS4)

Are you going to play anything tonight to celebrate or are you off out? ;) Either way, have a good one.

Thank you :)

I've just stopped raging at my ineptitude to win at Slay the Spire and am off to drink one or 800 beers :D 

46 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Maybe I'll play one of those games you keep recommending so often

Do it. Now. :p 

• Thanks 1

I was going to list my favourite@drahkon games, but the bugger hasn't released any!

Bordering on Nintendo levels of software drought really...

• Haha 5

It's that time of year again where i'm getting prepped for my time off work over the Christmas period. I break up on the 11th of December and then go back on the 2nd of January, which means plenty of time for lots gaming sessions. This time last year I went on a spending spree on Switch games but this year i've pretty much been able to keep up with the releases on that platform, with only Astral Chain and DQIII left to play. That being the case, it was time to show my PS4 some love...not that it needed it as i'm usually on the thing. It's been a crazy year for the platform and it's been one where i've struggled to stay on top of everything I wanted to play. Time to change that...

EKnetseWoAAdf6i.jpg

Hardware wise, my PS4 has been sounding loud for a while now and with me wanting to pick up Call of Duty I figured I may as well go all in and pick up the Pro bundle. That also came with a controller of my choosing for an extra £20. I had to go with the blue one. I've been in love with that colour controller ever since it got released. The headset I talked about getting when I started playing Death Stranding. I'm glad I held off a little bit because it was part of the Black Friday sale. As for the PlayStation logo, figured it would go nicely with the rest of my purchases. :D 

On to the software...

Jump Force - I'm love me some anime and I usually play most of the games that get released for my favourite shows. This one didn't get good reviews but I still wanted to play it. I waited until it was a decent price and that's exactly what it was this weekend.

Man of Medan - Until Dawn is one of the best games this generation has to offer, IMO. Again, this was another game where the reviews weren't that stellar, so I waited for a price cut to happen.

Far Cry: New Dawn - This one slipped through the cracks at the start of the year. I do love me some cookie cutter Ubisoft open world adventures and having played an enjoyed Far Cry 4, 5 and Primal during this generation, i'm sure that this will be just as enjoyable.

Sekiro - It finally dropped in price!! :eek: I was happy to see that Smyths had this on sale for £29.99 and was straight over there after to work to pick it up. I'm very much looking forward to trying it out. The only Souls type games I have played are Bloodborne and Nioh, both of which I found to be amazing. I'm hoping this delivers and that all of the GOTY talk that has been surrounding it is justified.

The Outer Worlds - This wasn't really on my radar until Jim Sterling made a Jimpressions video about it. I'm not usually a fan of these types of games but the general buzz around the game is very positive and, like Sekiro, it seems to be up for a few end of the year awards.

Catherine: Full Body Edition - This was a game that I always wanted to play back during the PS3/360 generation but I never got around to picking it up. Thankfully, Atlus have ported the game over to the PS4 and i'll finally get to see what the fuss is all about. I wasn't happy to find it has a steelbook case. Apparently that's the only version there is out there, even though the game has been out for a while now. It's gonna look so odd on the shelf. :( 

Indivisble - I've been looking forward to playing this one. It's been in development for what seems like an eternity and i'm hoping the wait has been worth it. The 2D animated style visuals that the developers use look absolutely gorgeous.:heart:

Ace Combat 7 - This is another one that slipped through the cracks during the early months of the year. Those who did pick up and play it found the game to be stupidly fun, with a pretty meaty campaign length. The game also features an amazing soundtrack. I've been listening to it this past week after reading a topic on Era about how the game has been snubbed for Best OST award at the game awards. Having listened to a most of the tracks, it certainly deserves to be in the running. It will be nice to be able to put the music into context when I play the game.

Anthem - The game is being sold for £5 at most places now. Despite the negative reception the game received i'm certainly willing to give the game a go for such a small price. I know a couple on of people on here seemed to enjoy the game as well, so there's that.

Mortal Kombat 11 - NetherRealm Studios know how to make a fantastic single player campaign when it comes to their fighters. Injustice 2 is probably the best fighter I have played this generation in terms of its single player storyline and by all accounts MK11 also delivers on this front.

Code Vein -  Another game I wasn't fussed about and another game Jim Sterling sold me on with his Jimpressions video. I like anime and I like the Souls type games I have played. Hopefully I will like this.

Yakuza 2 Kiwami - Loved 0 and the first Kiwami game and i've just been waiting for this one to get a normal edition and drop in price, which happened this weekend. I look forward to carrying on the storyline in preparation for the arrival of the remastered collection of 3, 4 and 5 hitting at the start of next year.

Crash Team Racing - This is one that i've been wanting to try out ever since it was released. I never played the original game as a teenager so I have no nostalgia for this remake. It will be interesting to see how I handle the game coming off of playing Mario Kart all of these years because I hear they are quite different.

Judgment - Seeing as this is by the Yakuza team, I was always going to pick this up, it was just a question of when. Again, it got a heavy discount this weekend so now was the time to get it bought. I've heard good things about it and i'm hoping for a narrative that is as strong as the Yakuza games.

Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight - I've played through both Persona 4 and 5 dancing games and loved them both. This one will be a bit weird though because i'm not familiar with any of the music from Persona 3. Still, the soundtracks for 4 and 5 are amazing and I can't see this one being any different.

Monster Hunter Wold: Iceborne - I FINALLY found a copy that wasn't a steelbook version. It took longer than I would have liked but I just happen to be browsing Ebay last week and found the thing. I'm very happy with the find and the price I got it for. My hunting can once again begin again. *sharpens longsword*

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - I skipped last years edition due to it being a multiplayer only offering. I don't play the CoD games half as much as I used to online and the campaigns are now what draws me to the games. This one looks to be a return to form and I figured I would give it a whirl. Plus, it was either get this with the console or FIFA. I feel I made the right choice.

So, yeah, lots to play in the coming weeks. It's funny that yesterday was the 6th anniversary of the console and here I am buying another one. :D The games I have picked up though do show the crazy amount of variety that the PS4 has to offer and has done for most of it's lifecycle. I can't wait to dig into each of these but don't worry, @drahkon, Death Stranding is still my top priority. I actually played through another episode this morning (on episode 9 now) and hopefully I will have it finished before the weekend is over. :peace:

• Thanks 3

Daym thats a lorra games.

Make sure you post in the Judgment thread when you start that. Maybe someone else playing it will coax me back too.

That's a lot of game. That'll keep you going for at least a week. Maybe 2 if you take your time :laughing:

A few there that I've had my eye on as well but I've yet to pull the trigger. Sekiro, for instance, was something I dismissed because I wasn't keen on Bloodborne and but coming off of the back of Fallen Order, I've been tempted to give it a go, especially as I like the aesthetic they've gone with. Would live the price to drop a little more on it but think I'll probably just end up grabbing it at £30 as that seems to be where it's staying.

Seems I'm not the only one who was tempted with Anthem now that the price has hit rock bottom (admittedly I grabbed it on Xbox One). At a fiver, I couldn't say no as I'm sure I'll get something out of it. Might not be amazing but hopefully be enjoyable some way along the line.

Sony are sending out emails with a free Christmas theme for your PS4 and either a 10%, 20% or 30% discount off your next purchase on PSN. Nice little Christmas gift for those who get it.

I got 10% code off them. I was dabbling with picking up Star Ocean when it gets released this week and I may use it on that seeing as it's a digital only title.

I got that email but it seems to have gone a little bit wrong...

To celebrate the season in style, enjoy a little something special just for you: save 30% on the items in your PS Store basket!   Just use your personal code None Available at the checkout.

5 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

I got that email but it seems to have gone a little bit wrong...

Looking on Era it seems people got it working by viewing the email in text only mode.

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Never seem to get these gifts :( 

You must have been a naughty boy this year. :p 

It automatically got filtered to my gmail promotions folder which I never usually look in. 

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Looking on Era it seems people got it working by viewing the email in text only mode.

Do they also explain how to view in text only mode?