NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Has anyone here got the plat for Celeste? I would be immensely impressed by that

15 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Has anyone here got the plat for Celeste? I would be immensely impressed by that

Haven't really tried getting it, yet, but definitely want to. Without the assist mode, that is. It's not a rare Platinum because of that mode.

I honestly never even noticed that mode :/ and the fact that you can get trophies while using it really dampens things for me. I don't think I'll bother going for plat, with or without, but I'm glad I beat all the B-Sides without clicking it. 

I think it's a great idea as a mode, I just don't think it should grant trophies.

So... err... anyone gonna talk about the fact that Sony have just partnered with Epic to put out Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human on PC?

It's kind of a big deal!  Sony are willing to sell the PC publishing rights to their first party titles! The floodgates are now opening!

Pretty surreal to see this!

Edited by Dcubed

Another backwards compatible patent has popped up from Sony.

screen-shot-2019-03-19-at-10.31.56-pm.png?w=760

I'm soooooooo hoping PS5 allows for PS1/2/3/4 games to be played on it. It would be a dream come true.

• Thanks 2

*sigh* if this is true then... I guess I'll be buying a PS5.

I'm only sighing because I really like my PS4 and I've had my launch model since... well... launch. :p

I didn't want to buy another new console but depending on when this launches and how long my PS4 lasts, who knows.

But yes, full backwards compatibility? With all Playstation systems? That would be absolutely amazing. :D

Although... I would probably only put really good condition discs in it, also the other side of it is, it has to be able to handle all those discs well.

I know with some backwards compatible systems, they handle the discs differently, just saying... you wouldn't want them scratched.

Certainly not if you had a rare PS1/PS2 RPG that's hard to replace.

It kind of sounds like having to boot into a separate mode, kind of like what the Wii U had where you had to launch the Wii app to play old games. PS4 games might be as simple as just putting the disk in though, hopefully. Assuming you can do that at all, as it would limit their ability to release remasters and re-releases.

Edited by Ronnie

21 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Although... I would probably only put really good condition discs in it, also the other side of it is, it has to be able to handle all those discs well.

I know with some backwards compatible systems, they handle the discs differently, just saying... you wouldn't want them scratched.

Certainly not if you had a rare PS1/PS2 RPG that's hard to replace.

I'd only be interested in the whole thing if I can play my old discs. If it's a digital thing then you will be hampered by the fact that you will only get to play what they decided to release. There are far too many games that will be left off the table due to licensing if they go the digital route.

Sounds like a pretty typical BC solution.  This is exactly how the existing PS4 Pro works with base PS4 games anyway; so I wouldn't say that it's indicative of anything really.

Edited by Dcubed

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'd only be interested in the whole thing if I can play my old discs. If it's a digital thing then you will be hampered by the fact that you will only get to play what they decided to release. There are far too many games that will be left off the table due to licensing if they go the digital route.

Same here, I was just meaning that say you have a really old PS1 disc in not so good condition, you probably wouldn't put that in a PS5.

Say you had a really good condition collectable PS1 game in excellent condition, if the drive scratches old discs, you probably wouldn't put that in a PS5.

So long as the new hardware won't damage the old games and plays them from original discs then I'm all for it.

I'm probably overthinking it though, we'll see what happens but yes, purely disc based backwards compatibility would be amazing...

...if it's done right.

Otherwise, I'll stick with original hardware but it is important to preserve these games in any way that we can.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, S.C.G said:

*sigh* if this is true then... I guess I'll be buying a PS5.

I'm only sighing because I really like my PS4 and I've had my launch model since... well... launch. :p

You sigh now... but we allllll know you’ll end up with 3 PS5’s sat sealed on your shelf. :D 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

You sigh now... but we allllll know you’ll end up with 3 PS5’s sat sealed on your shelf. :D 

Oh my... sealed games is one thing, but sealed consoles? Can you imagine? :p

I do have a lot of sealed games though, I must change that.

I've unsealed Sekiro today, the day I got it though, so I'm making progress. :D

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2019 at 1:10 PM, S.C.G said:

I use the Nacon Revolution for most PS4 games...

Would you recommend it?

Is it easy to set up?
How's the build quality?

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Would you recommend it?

Is it easy to set up?
How's the build quality?

Absolutely. :D

It's the only controller I use for the PS4 now... well, for most games, I have a fightpad for arcade type games.

Very easy to set up, though I will say that the controller comes with different sets of weights which go inside the handles of the controllers.

If you're buying one, I'd go for new or at least if it's second hand, just check that it comes with everything as the weights definitely help.

The cord is decent quality, you have to connect it to the top of the controller when you first use it and there's a cord protector which screws in over the top. (tightened by hand)

Build quality is very good, sticks are sturdy, D-Pad is perfectly useable for most games, face buttons are good, shoulder buttons and triggers are better than the original. (IMO)

It has a light bar in a more sensible place, plus there is a light around the right stick and the touch pad is just as responsive as the official pad. :peace:

• Thanks 1

Thanks, @S.C.G

Is it true that you can't turn on the PS4 with the controller? 
Also: How easy to reach are the buttons on the back?
Aaaaaand how long is the cord?
All the standard features (headphone jack, etc) are present, I assume?

I may have 100€ to spare next month so I'm thinking of buying a decent controller with more buttons and some customization.

The Revolution Pro is currently at pretty much exactly 100€ at a local store and the follow-up version at 117€. I might get one of those (probably going to spend a few bucks more for the second version). There's also a wireless version on the way (I think it'll release this week) but this one comes at 170€. Way too much.

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Thanks, @S.C.G

Is it true that you can't turn on the PS4 with the controller? 
Also: How easy to reach are the buttons on the back?
Aaaaaand how long is the cord?
All the standard features (headphone jack, etc) are present, I assume?

I may have 100€ to spare next month so I'm thinking of buying a decent controller with more buttons and some customization.

The Revolution Pro is currently at pretty much exactly 100€ at a local store and the follow-up version at 117€. I might get one of those (probably going to spend a few bucks more for the second version). There's also a wireless version on the way (I think it'll release this week) but this one comes at 170€. Way too much.

No worries.

I believe that's true.

Buttons on the back are easy to reach.

The cord is a good few feet long.

All the standard features are present, I've used a normal, cheap official Xbox 360 headset with it. (it's the headset I use with everything)

I'd say go with either the original model or the follow up version, both are good, I have the original.

Wireless one sounds expensive, plus the wired version is better for being lag free I'd say.

I try and use wired controllers only where possible and this controller is easily one of the best wired options available. :peace:

I got mine with the Xbox One Elite controller at the same time through a deal through work a while ago.

It was a case of, I knew the pads were pricey but with the extra money off it was worth it as I haven't had to replace either since. :D

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I try and use wired controllers only where possible and this controller is easily one of the best wired options available. :peace:

Looks like it :) Seeing as my DS4 is usually connected to the PS4 anyways I'd say a wired controller is a good choice.

I found the newer version for 100€ online, so I guess this will be the first purchase with my next paycheck :D 

Edit: Ordered :peace: Thanks again for all the information :) 

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

Sony chairman Kazuo “Kaz” Hirai has announced his retirement, drawing a 35-year career with the company to a close. Hirai stepped down as CEO a little over a year ago, passing the role to Kenichiro Yoshida, the CFO with whom he orchestrated Sony’s turnaround from a money-losing gadget maker to a profitable company focused on components and the PlayStation business.

Hirai will leave his chairman role on June 18th, but will continue to act as occasional “senior advisor” for the company upon the request of Sony’s management team. “Hirai-san and I have been working on management reforms together since December 2013,” says Yoshida in a statement. “While he will be retiring from both Chairman and our Board of Directors, we look forward to his continuing high-level support to Sony’s management that encompasses a breadth of diverse businesses.”

“Since passing the baton of CEO to Yoshida-san last April, as Chairman of Sony, I have had the opportunity to both ensure a smooth transition and provide support to Sony’s management,” Hirai’s statement says. “I am confident that everyone at Sony is fully aligned under Yoshida-san’s strong leadership, and are ready to build an even brighter future for Sony. As such, I have decided to depart from Sony, which has been a part of my life for the past 35 years. I would like to extend my warmest gratitude to all our employees and stakeholders who have supported me throughout this journey.”

End of an era. :( 

The guy done an amazing job is steering the whole of Sony to be more profitable and get them out of the massive financial trouble they were in after the money sink that was the PS3 was released and many of their other markets were falling apart. Making the Playstation brand a key part of the company going forward was his doing and it paid off well for them.

The gifs that were made of him are legendary, especially when this generation was just starting up. These are two of my favourites...

giphy.gif

i97p4bk7nduq9.gif

Legend.

TiredSecondaryIceblueredtopzebra-size_re

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

@S.C.G The controller arrived. 

It's awesome :D Feels great and the build quality is awesome. 

Very easy setup. Created profiles for Apex Legends and Path of Exile. I've only remapped the buttons on the back, though. They make the iffy healing controls in Path of Exile much better. :peace: 
I did, however, catch myself using the "normal" buttons instead of the remapped ones on the back in Apex Legends. :laughing: Guess it'll take some time until the new buttons become natural to use.

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

Saw that Frostpunk has been announced for consoles with a release set for some time this summer. Not sure who else will be interested but it's been on my Steam Wishlist for some time now and while I'm sure it'll probably play better on PC, my PC is a potato at this point so at least I'll be able to jump in and see why people talked it up so much last year.

And something completely different, I've had my eye on this for some time now but it's set to be released this Tuesday, supposedly in the US and over in Europe. Intrigued by its premise and the style they've gone for. Looking forward to seeing what's what.

And finally, apparently Bomb Chicken will see a release on PS4 on the 16th April as well, going by Nitrome's Twitter feed. Was interested in it but I ended up selling my switch before it released so looking forward to jumping in should it actually release in Europe on that day (it wouldn't be the first time a game has missed it's date because of problems on Sony's end of things).

I'm really curious about Heaven's Vault but probably won't get around to it for ages because that's me.

If you wish to ascend to the top of the Spire, you must choose your cards wisely! This fusion of deck-building card game and roguelike RPG is already a hit, and now it’s on its way to PlayStation 4 on May 21st.

Can't wait :peace: