NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

15 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You underestimate my laziness at the end of the day, just before bed :laughing:

This! :laughing:

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I just can't do wired pads now. :nono:

That's fair, I can understand as wireless is definitely more convenient, I thought that I could live without wired pads but I was wrong about that as I've gone right back to them.

I will say that for some consoles I have invested in some controller extenders, I think for the PS4 all you'd need is a USB extender if there wasn't enough reach.

It's probably just that my setup allows wired controllers quite easily, that probably has a lot to do with it, I even use my Switch Pro Controller wired now too.

I do have an absolute mess of controller cables, video cables, and more recently ethernet cables now as well but it's something I'm going to improve on. :blush:

31 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I used to think that the analogue sticks were in the wrong spot, too. But, after extensive play, I think the position of the analogue sticks actually make sense. For starters, it's symmetrical. Also, due to where the thumb is on your left hand, it actually makes sense to place the left analogue in that position. It feels very balanced to me. 
I also quite like the build quality of the controller, including the sticks. No complaints here. 

What kind of crazy shaped hands do you have? :heh:

• Haha 1

Good points raised by all. Honestly, I think it just comes down to preference, the size of your hands, and how often/long you use other controllers, too. 

For instance, the battery life issues mentioned by @Ronnie and @Kav are certainly ones that I can appreciate, and I do think that they need to get rid of the light bar with the DS5 -- even turned down to the lowest brightness, I'd imagine it's a real drain on battery life. I've made a habit of charging controllers after I've used them for more of a couple of hours since the days of the Wiimote, so I don't mind getting up to plug in my DS4 after an average length play session. 

In addition to battery life improvement, I agree with @Fierce_LiNk that PlayStation should look into having a larger controller variant, because the options should certainly be there for the consumer to choose from. My hands aren't all that large, but the length of my pianist-like fingers makes up for that, and I recall my fingers cramping up a few of years ago, prior to getting a PS4, when I spent the summer playing games on the PS2 with a DS2. 

I first held a PlayStation controller when I was three or four years old after a family friend gifted us a PS1 with two analogue stick DS1s, memory cards, games, etc., and the only PlayStation home console that I haven't owned was the PS3 (simply due to the price at the time, I ended up picking up and enjoying an Xbox 360; it's controller didn't leave a lasting impression, which probably meant that I thought it was functional, but not to an extent that I'd necessarily praise it). It's probably that consistent presence of a Dualshock in my life, and probably having most of my game time throughout my life on a PlayStation, and it's certainly my preference because of this, much like @drahkon and @Hero-of-Time

I've only heard great things about the Switch Pro Controller though (minus the whole lack of a D-pad situation...), so I'm looking forward to picking one up and trying it out when I get a Switch.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kav said:

What kind of crazy shaped hands do you have? :heh:

I just have regular, sexy hands.

PM me for pics, babe.

• Haha 3

The developers of Furi (the game that nobody here played...I hate you all...go buy Crypt of the Necrodancer) are back. 

Play as two lovers who escaped to a lost planet.
The only thing that matters is to stay together.
From the creators of Furi.
A RPG to play solo or with a special someone.
Coming to PC and consoles.

From the first second I knew that this is Danger. Glad to have him back on a game. His tracks in Furi (and his music in general) are amazing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

the game that nobody here played...I hate you all

I did, and I hated it. Shit game.

This looks like it could be more up my alley though.

Just now, Sméagol said:

I did, and I hated it. Shit game.

I agree it's not for everyone but it definitely isn't shit. :p  Well, maybe subjectively; but objectively it's pretty darn good. Impeccable gameplay.

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I agree it's not for everyone but it definitely isn't shit. :p  Well, maybe subjectively; but objectively it's pretty darn good. Impeccable gameplay.

It definitely is. Objectively. There are too many obstacles to even experience the actual gameplay, that's my problem with it, not the gameplay in general. Some incredible bad design.

Edited by Sméagol

2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

It definitely is. Objectively. There are too many obstacles to even experience the actual gameplay, that's my problem with it, not the gameplay. Some incredible bad design.

Well, I disagree. ::shrug: 

Anyway, just happy the devs are back with a new game. Gonna be interesting to see how they handle an RPG.

I bought Furi, on the Switch and in physical form... I just haven't played it yet. :p

Looking forward to it though, also nice to see that The Game Bakers are still doing well.

Our very own @Kaepora_Gaebora interviewed them and of course reviewed Furi when it came out on the Switch...

...and I really can't believe that was over a whole year ago already. :blank:

I've got so many games to catch up with and anything from The Game Bakers is going to be at least on my radar, so let us hope it's another hit. :peace:

Just started Final Fantasy Type-0 HD.
...it's dark. 
Have you tried turning the brightness up?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

PlayStation Destination, an event held by PlayStation to give retailers and insiders an idea of the year ahead, took place in Arizona over the last few days, and it seems some leaks have slipped through the cracks -- despite the NDAs in place.

There's some pretty interesting stuff if the news coming out is accurate, but just in case people here don't want it spoiled and would rather learn about this when PlayStation plans to share this information with us, I'm going to throw the major points into the spoiler tag below.

Spoiler

351y8nzwmcj21.jpg

• The Last of Us Part II has been given a release date of October 25th 2019. 

• Ghost of Tsushima was not shown/present; the general consensus seems to be that it might be coming next year, in 2020.

-> To add to these, a user on ResetEra going by the name of Aokiji posted: "Sam Porter and Ellie made their way to a certain destination, sadly Jin couldn't make it". The implication seems to be that both Death Stranding and The Last of Us Part II will release this year, bit Ghost of Tsushima will be next year. Digging into his post history, they seem to have a very good track record: Sony not attending E3 2019, the release window for God of War, the release window for Spider-Man, etc.

• Games were shown by PlayStation and Square Enix [VII Remake?]. Other publishers of note that were present were Activision-Blizzard and Konami [if Death Stranding is coming this year, Metal Gear Solid remasters could make a lot of sense].

Edited by Julius

Trying to decide whether or not to buy the Zero Escape games while they are on sale on PSN at the moment. I've always been interested in them and the story but I'm not much of a puzzle guy so don't want to get stuck doing all of that and then just give up out of frustration or boredom.

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Trying to decide whether or not to buy the Zero Escape games while they are on sale on PSN at the moment. I've always been interested in them and the story but I'm not much of a puzzle guy so don't want to get stuck doing all of that and then just give up out of frustration or boredom.

I suppose a way around that could be to use a guide for the puzzles and then just enjoy the story.

• Thanks 1

The puzzles aren't very difficult and the games are superb, if that helps.
  • Thanks 1

I guess it's also the worry that I'm already in this gaming slump at the moment that if I buy the games and I just burn out as I'm doing with everything at the moment then I'll never go back to them at all.

I'll buy Nonary Games for now and see how I do. That way I'll at least have the first two games.

PS4 Remote Play finally available on iPhone

Time moves slow if you're an iPhone user waiting for PS4 Remote Play. Back in October 2014, Sony announced it would bring Remote Play to its Xperia Z3 series of smartphones, and the feature was then announced for PC and Mac a year later. But still no word on iOS devices.

Until today! Thanks to firmware update 6.50, iPhone and iPad users can now use Remote Play. At long last.

The much-demanded feature, which allows you to boot up and stream your PS4 directly onto your phone, can be accessed via the official app. Previously, iOS users desperate to stream their PS4 had to use third party apps such as R-Play, which came at a cost of about $12 (£9.13).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-03-07-ps4-remote-play-finally-available-on-iphone-four-years-after-sony-xperia

Might give it a try on my iPad tonight when I get home.

Edited by Happenstance

As a demon army besieges his village, a young ninja ventures through a cursed world, to deliver a scroll paramount to his clan’s survival. What begins as a classic action platformer soon unravels into an expansive time-traveling adventure full of thrills, surprises, and humor. The Messenger arrives on PlayStation 4 March 19, 2019.

First time hearing about the game. Apparently it's really good. 

• Like 1

Very happy to finally see a release date for the PS4 version of this. When they went quiet on it after the Switch/PC release I had feared that it might not be coming but so glad that it is and it's only a week away. Looking forward to trying it myself.