NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

OK, so this needs to be shared.

Shawn Layden had an interview with Gameinformer recently and it contained this little gem.

We got to that place in Fortnite and it seems to be going reasonably well, from what I can tell. The Rocket League light up will happen soon. People keep saying, “Why doesn’t Sony allow more people to have it?” We’re open for business on this one. All it takes is for publishers and developers who wish to permission it. As ever, just work with your PlayStation account manager, and they will walk you through the steps that we’ve learned through our partnership with Epic on how this works. I don’t believe right now there is any gating factor on that. I think they’re open to make proposals, because the Fortnite thing worked pretty well.

Well, in response to this, the CEO of Chucklefish (Wargroove, Stardust Valley) posted this on ResetEra.

Hi all,

CEO Of Chucklefish here, we just launched Wargroove with crossplay between PC, Switch and Xbox so I wanted to chime in.

We made many requests for crossplay (both through our account manager and directly with higher ups) all the way up until release month. We were told in no uncertain terms that it was not going to happen.

From our side, we can *literally* toggle a switch and have it working. Of course policy work might be more complicated for Sony.

Just wanted to provide some balance on the issue and say that it certainly isn't a question of developers having not contacted their account managers or having dropped the ball. We were told no.

It's starting to get ridiculous how much Sony will try to spin their refusal to allow cross-play in a way that makes them not look anti-consumer.

Same. However, speed runs can be fun if I reeeeaaally enjoy the game.
What I also don't like: Missable trophies. Especially in (J)RPGs. If a game takes 50 hours to complete and you miss one collectible that you can't get after a certain point...FUCK YOU  
Thankfully I'm not really after Platinums anymore. Only if I thoroughly enjoy a game. Examples right now would be Far Cry New Dawn and Crypt of the Necrodancer. The latter, however...probably impossible for me but I'll try.

Anyway, speaking of Far Cry New Dawn. I didn't know that...
Spoiler ...there's some supernatural shit going on in this world. I thought that it was only a post-apocalypse survival affair. But now I have a double jump and a super-stealth ability? Nice  

Missable trophies are arse. That's part of why I stopped playing Yakuza 0 before - i realised I missed one and got all pissed off. I don't even usually go for platinums!

I know I’m saying this years into owning a PS4, but after every play session I always think the same...

...the more I play with it, the more I think the Dual Shock 4 is garbage.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a huge improvement on the DS3, which was offensive it was that bad, but it’s still light years off the Xbox or Nintendo Pro Controller pads.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kav said:

...the more I play with it, the more I think the Dual Shock 4 is garbage.

Why? :o 

For me, the DS4 is the best controller out there. 

It's definitely the least comfortable of the three, but other than that it does everything a controller should.

3 minutes ago, bob said:

It's definitely the least comfortable of the three

It's always been the most comfortable for me :D 

Each to his own, I guess.

Can't say I agree with the "garbage" comment at all. It's a very comfortable controller and I have no complaints with it. Definitely one of the best I've used. 

By far the least comfortable controller I've ever used. When I go from the DS4 to the Switch Pro or the Xbox One my hands are practically thanking me. Such a huge difference in comfort.

It also has a Fischer Price battery life, which doesn't help. 4 hours compared to the Switch Pro's 40 hours.

• Like 1

I've never had any issues with the Dualshock 4. Due to the amount of time that I spend on the PS4 I often find it weird switching to another controller, no matter what it may be. I'm hoping they don't mess with the design too much when the PS5 eventually surfaces.

• Like 1

It's always been the most comfortable for me  
I think it's because I have large hands, so the larger 'prongs' of the Xbox controller fit better. I would imagine if my hands were smaller, smaller 'prongs' would feel better. Unless they started making different size controllers, people are always going to have a preference based on that I guess.

6 minutes ago, bob said:
22 minutes ago, drahkon said:
It's always been the most comfortable for me emoji3.png 

I think it's because I have large hands, so the larger 'prongs' of the Xbox controller fit better. I would imagine if my hands were smaller, smaller 'prongs' would feel better. Unless they started making different size controllers, people are always going to have a preference based on that I guess.

Maybe it would be quite useful if there were XL versions (or slightly larger versions) of controllers, so that the consumer could have a bit more choice. E.g. a DS4 for slightly larger hands.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It also has a Fischer Price battery life, which doesn't help. 4 hours compared to the Switch Pro's 40 hours.

It's actually 8 hours, though :p 

I will never understand why battery life is such an issue for some. Pretty sure that every gamer has a micro-USB cable. Just plug it in whenever you're not playing. And even if you have monster gaming session...just charge it while playing :D 

There is no way I'd ever run out of battery life with any controller for a home console. Never happened to me and never will (unless there will be a controller with only a max of 5 hours battery life, of course).

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've never had any issues with the Dualshock 4. Due to the amount of time that I spend on the PS4 I often find it weird switching to another controller, no matter what it may be. I'm hoping they don't mess with the design too much when the PS5 eventually surfaces.

Same. They can get rid of the light bar and touchscreen but other than that they don't need to change anything.

@bob You know what they say about people with large hands.

They need larger controllers.

But it's a fair point. I have a huge penis, I mean, I have relatively small hands so the DS4 is fine for me.

Edited by drahkon

34 minutes ago, drahkon said:

It's always been the most comfortable for me :D 

It’s absolutely wank analogue sticks and stupid positioning of the left one especially.

The competition’s are just so much better. Each time I play I think how it’d feel much better to be playing with the other pads... and I play LESS on the other consoles!

Edited by Kav

Just now, Kav said:

It’s absolutely wank analogue sticks and stupid positioning of the left one especially.

The competition’s are just so much better. Each time I play I think how it’d feel much better to be playing with the other pads.

I don't like that much if the left stick is positioned higher on a controller, so I don't see the issue :D 

Again, to each his own :p 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

I don't like that much if the left stick is positioned higher on a controller, so I don't see the issue :D 

Again, to each his own :p 

The feel of the sticks is more the issue than the positioning. They just feel light, loose and flimsy... and games never feel quite the right level of responsive thanks to that.

Also, L2 & R2 are a bit on the small side.

Edited by Kav

7 minutes ago, Kav said:

The feel of the sticks is more the issue than the positioning. They just feel light, loose and flimsy... and games never feel quite the right level of responsive thanks to that.

I feel the same about other controllers :laughing: It's interesting how experiences differ so much.

By the way, if you ever want to use light, loose and flimsy analogue sticks...try a Vita. :D As much as I love the handheld, its sticks are horrible.

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Kav said:

The competition’s are just so much better. Each time I play I think how it’d feel much better to be playing with the other pads... and I play LESS on the other consoles!

I used to think that the analogue sticks were in the wrong spot, too. But, after extensive play, I think the position of the analogue sticks actually make sense. For starters, it's symmetrical. Also, due to where the thumb is on your left hand, it actually makes sense to place the left analogue in that position. It feels very balanced to me. 
I also quite like the build quality of the controller, including the sticks. No complaints here. 

17 minutes ago, drahkon said:

It's actually 8 hours, though :p 

I will never understand why battery life is such an issue for some. Pretty sure that every gamer has a micro-USB cable. Just plug it in whenever you're not playing. And even if you have monster gaming session...just charge it while playing :D 

It's just annoying really, I seem to constantly get the low battery warning so I have to get up plug it into the charging dock, and use my other DS4 that I hopefully remembered to charge last time it ran out of battery etc. It's not a deal breaker obviously but even the maximum of 8 hours is poor compared to the competition.

Mostly I just find it really uncomfortable to use. I'm not a fan of the left analog stick placement either given how that's your main method of control in most games.

One thing I do like is how silent the buttons are though, the Xbox ones make this loud clicking sound every press, it drives me mad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It's just annoying really, I seem to constantly get the low battery warning so I have to get up plug it into the charging dock, and use my other DS4 that I hopefully remembered to charge last time it ran out of battery etc. It's not a deal breaker obviously but even the maximum of 8 hours is poor compared to the competition.

Then just plug them in every time you stop playing :p The few steps to the console are hardly exhausting (hopefully :D).

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Then just plug them in every time you stop playing :p The few steps to the console are hardly exhausting (hopefully :D).

You underestimate my laziness at the end of the day, just before bed :laughing:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

The few steps to the console are hardly exhausting (hopefully :D).

I dunno, I mean we are living in a world where a generation of gamers are going digital purely because they can't be bothered to get up and change a disc. :D 

• Haha 3

revolution-pro.jpg&f=1

I use the Nacon Revolution for most PS4 games...

mad-catz-street-fighter-v-fightpad-pro-a

...and the MadCatz Fightpad Pro for 2D games.

I haven't used my original PS4 pad in quite a while.

It's good to have a wired pad if you can, unless you can't live without wireless or really hate wires. ::shrug:

The pros outweight the cons for me, less lag, no wireless interference and no constant recharging. :peace:

And this is coming from me, I used to really like using wireless pads, but I haven't used them in quite a while aside from the Wavebird for the GC.

Same. They can get rid of the light bar and touchscreen but other than that they don't need to change anything.
[mention=229]bob[/mention] You know what they say about people with large hands.
They need larger controllers.
But it's a fair point. I have a huge penis, I mean, I have relatively small hands so the DS4 is fine for me.
The touchscreen is actually really useful for putting in text for email addresses and passwords etc. I would be disappointed if they removed it.

7 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

It's good to have a wired pad if you can, unless you can't live without wireless or really hate wires. ::shrug:

I just can't do wired pads now. :nono: