NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Uh, wait a second...couldn’t our rarest trophy stats be used to roughly estimate how many units have been sold (and played) of a given game? 

For instance, my rarest trophy was Now I Can Sleep from Shenmue II, which 4287 players had unlocked by the time that I checked my stats. Having a look at the stats for that particular trophy in the ‘Trophies’ section of the PlayStation app, I can see that roughly 9.7% of people who have played the game have achieved that trophy. 

100% / 9.7% = 10.309...

4287 x 10.309... = 44195.874...

So, roughly 44200 people have played Shenmue II on PS4. My stat isn’t particularly helpful in estimating the sales of Shenmue I & II on PS4, seeing as it’s the sequel in a two-game collection — there are likely players that have played both; other players that have only played Shenmue; and other players that have only played Shenmue II. But either way, we can tell that not so many people have played Shenmue II on PS4... :( 

It’s not the most dependable way to calculate these things — there’s a higher margin of error the greater these sales numbers get, and it only takes into account the trophy data which has been synced by players — but it can at least give us a rough idea of how well some games are doing on PS4, which I think is quite interesting, as the sales numbers for a lot of games typically go into hiding shortly after their release. 

Also the numbers might not include lots of people, those who don’t have the internet or those who keep their stats private. Similarly they’ll be inflated by multiple people playing the same game on the same system etc..

My only stats of note are that Transistor was my first game - which was a disappointment after hoping for another Bastion, and less impressive than Drift but 1650 or so hours on Destiny 1.

21 hours ago, Julius said:

Uh, wait a second...couldn’t our rarest trophy stats be used to roughly estimate how many units have been sold (and played) of a given game? 

Someone has been doing that apparently.

My 3 most played are probably my 3 favourites too. Nice that the rarest trophy is also my first platinum trophy.

Finally got around to starting 428 Shibuya Scramble this week. It's a very popular Japanese VN that I'm loving the style of. Feels similar to the Persona games.

Great intro song as well

This and Kingdom Hearts collection will probably be my most played game. Ugh! Drooling!

Sorry to derail this a little but I tried to use my PlayStation account that's connected to my profile but I forgot my email, which I need to sign in. Any way to sign in using my PlayStation tag?8f3ca45f449a377c5ed15954ec87c89f.jpg

Sent by the sexiest animal alive using a HTC One M8 with a broken screen protector

PSN January sale has started, some games in there that weren’t discounted in the other sales. I got Inside and Valkyria Chronicles Remastered.

1300+ PS4 games discounted.

Got Soul Calibur ondisk from a sale. bomberman in the digital. Looking for recommendations.

18 minutes ago, Choze said:

1300+ PS4 games discounted.

Got Soul Calibur ondisk from a sale. bomberman in the digital. Looking for recommendations.

Dragon Quest XI.

Ys Origin.

On 15/12/2018 at 5:33 PM, bob said:

ffd97ae2d4f0de27e291df2392ab223c.gif

It's nothing compared to this player G-Money876 who got 13422h 53m... Oh He is in the #1 in Destiny 2 as well... That bloke have no life at all....

Edited by DriftKaiser

AnarchicAnimal. Feel free to add me. Been playing Final Fantasy X for the majority of the day. Played Red Dead 2 for a bit but for some reason, felt the strong urge for Final Fantasy X more. I've really got back into it.

Kingdom Hearts day tomorrow!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Will do Animal! 

Honestly, I've been playing Red Dead quite a lot, but then someone bought me Spyro and the completionist in me came roaring back to life. 

Send help. 

Well, there was a power outage just now in our street. I rebooted my PS4 and it had to rebuild its database. Turns out that everything I did with the console today is lost. It's not that bad, though. I only installed NieR: Automata, downloaded patches for two other games and lost save files for NieR and Doom. ::shrug: They didn't get uploaded unfortunately...lost about 2 hours of progress in both games.

Phew, it was a wee bit scary :D 

So I've been getting a NP-32091-5 error in my PS4 for the last couple of days and games crashing, with the console signing my user out completely. I've noticed that things are crashing a bit more recently and that my console seems to be running a bit on the slow side but seems I've now got corrupted trophy data from some game. No idea which one as I've got hundred of games in my PS4 library so it could be anything really.

Was intending to spend the day playing through Batman: The Enemy Within but sadly it looks as though my day will be spent uploading all my saves to the cloud as back ups in the hope that recreating my user sorts the problem when I go to sync up my trophies. If not, I'll have to initialize the whole console and hope that things work after that.

Annoying when I'm just wanting to play through some of the games I've picked up recently. Fingers crossed it resolves with this.

• Sad 1

Bought the Megan Man X Legacy Collections 1 and 2.

Started playing Mega Man X and got my ass handed to me. I remember playing/beating the SNES version some time ago. How can I suck so bad at this now? :D 

The PS4's last big year?

Sekiro, Death Stranding, and The Last of Us 2 top the list for me. 

Will consider Ghost of Tsushima, Control (if the writing isn't as bad as the trailer makes out), and Doom Eternal (if it stays on track for this year).

Sadly not many of those appeal to me personally, at all. My PS4 has been gathering dust since Spider Man but hopefully Concrete Genie and Dreams can pull me back cause there's not much else, especially since the indie scene has migrated to Switch.

Edited by Ronnie

On 03/01/2019 at 3:54 PM, Ronnie said:

Sadly not many of those appeal to me personally, at all. My PS4 has been gathering dust since Spider Man but hopefully Concrete Genie and Dreams can pull me back cause there's not much else, especially since the indie scene has migrated to Switch.

I think the last part is unfair. The indie scene is supporting both, it just appears that the Switch is getting more support at the moment because it's getting a back catalogue from the last few years.

But I agree about Dreams. Looks like a fantastic user-generated game. Perhaps the biggest since Mario Maker. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I think the last part is unfair. The indie scene is supporting both, it just appears that the Switch is getting more support at the moment because it's getting a back catalogue from the last few years.

Indies are going to want their game in as many places as possible so of course most games come to both (apart from exclusives like GRIS, The Messenger etc)

What I meant by the indie scene has migrated to Switch was more A) the same game sells far, far better on Switch than PS4 but more importantly B) Nintendo actually promotes them. Also, you walk around EGX and every dev will tell you the number 1 question they keep getting asked was "When's it coming to Switch?"

16 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Indies are going to want their game in as many places as possible so of course most games come to both (apart from exclusives like GRIS, The Messenger etc)

What I meant by the indie scene has migrated to Switch was more A) the same game sells far, far better on Switch than PS4 but more importantly B) Nintendo actually promotes them. Also, you walk around EGX and every dev will tell you the number 1 question they keep getting asked was "When's it coming to Switch?"

Oh yeah sure thing there's a demand, but markets are going to naturally migrate which is why Switch is currently enjoying more indie titles (because they are a mix of new ones and old ones that have been ported).  A 2 year old console is going to be more appealing than a 5 year old one as the storefront will be less crowded and discoverability is easier (an issue that Nintendo is now facing - the perils of popularity).

43 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Oh yeah sure thing there's a demand, but markets are going to naturally migrate which is why Switch is currently enjoying more indie titles (because they are a mix of new ones and old ones that have been ported).  A 2 year old console is going to be more appealing than a 5 year old one as the storefront will be less crowded and discoverability is easier (an issue that Nintendo is now facing - the perils of popularity).

So like I said, the indie scene has moved to Switch at the moment. It also helps that Nintendo actually promote and publicise those games. Sony did at the start of the gen but now they just seem to completely ignore it.

tp-sales.original.jpg

I don't think crowded storefronts are the reason Thimbleweed Park as one example sold 10x more than on PS4. People are buying indie games on Switch because it's simply a better console to play them on. Game runs the same (in most cases) but the hybrid nature of the console instantly makes it better.

I'm wondering if those sales for Thimbleweed Park include the physical release from Limited Run games?

Probably not I guess and even if it did, that would probably only up the percentage by 00.1% but still, it's an impressive number of sales all the same.

If anything, it just reminds me that I still need to play Thimbleweed Park as I've heard that it's a fantastic title regardless of platform.

I still need to get back to Thimbleweed Park. I bought it on PC ages ago and then barely touched it.

• Thanks 1