NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Finished Yoku's Island Express just now.

What a lovely little game. If someone told 10 year old me that I'm going to play a pinball-metroidvania game when I'm a grown man I would've not believed him. It is a pretty neat genre combination I have to admit.

It's not a difficult game, it's actually really easy but it was enjoyable. Getting around the island in order to acquire enough fruit to advance was a little cumbersome at times but overall it's a great game.

Not sure when/if I'm going to mop up the remaining trophies, though. I've had my fill of this game for now.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:29 PM, drahkon said:

Finished Yoku's Island Express just now.

What a lovely little game. If someone told 10 year old me that I'm going to play a pinball-metroidvania game when I'm a grown man I would've not believed him. It is a pretty neat genre combination I have to admit.

It's not a difficult game, it's actually really easy but it was enjoyable. Getting around the island in order to acquire enough fruit to advance was a little cumbersome at times but overall it's a great game.

Not sure when/if I'm going to mop up the remaining trophies, though. I've had my fill of this game for now.

Indeed, this was a pleasant surprise when I played it earlier in the year. Definitely one of my picks for 2018.

Finished chapter 5 of Celeste just now. Not sure how I feel about it. The game has been incredible so far but the mechanics of chapter 5...hm, don't like 'em. Not looking forward to replaying it for the strawberries. And I'm dreading the thought of playing the B-Side if it also includes those mechanics...

Anyway, still enjoying the game. It's tight and precise 2D platforming at it's best. I've died 764 times so far (finished chapters 1-5 and two B-sides). Yup, this game's difficult and I love it :D 

Going for the Platinum without assist mode might break me. Can't wait :D 

Edit: Eh...so chapter 6 was weirdly emotional. I couldn't relate 100% but some words hit hard. Jeez, didn't expect that.

Edited by drahkon

Ok...so Chapter 6 of Celeste is one of the greatest video game moments I have ever experienced. 40 minutes of nothing but excellence. 

Everything about this game fell into place and it was perfect. There is no other word to describe this. It was perfect.

:bowdown:

• Like 1

Triple-post, sorry :p 

Finished Celeste.

This is what I consider the perfect game. Beautiful to look at, wonderful music, emotional story, spot-on gameplay and challenging until the very end. It doesn't get any better than that.

Will definitely get the Platinum without assist mode. Using it wouldn't do this incredible game justice.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, drahkon said:

Triple-post, sorry :p 

Finished Celeste.

This is what I consider the perfect game. Beautiful to look at, wonderful music, emotional story, spot-on gameplay and challenging until the very end. It doesn't get any better than that.

Will definitely get the Platinum without assist mode. Using it wouldn't do this incredible game justice.

It really is an incredible game. So simple in many aspects but the way it's brought together it's ideas has resulted in an absolute gem. It'll no doubt get overlooked by many during the GOTY discussions but for me, Celeste is my favourite game of the year. I do need to go back to collect the strawberries myself but I need to set aside the time to do it as I want to do it without the assist mode turned on as well.

I'm currently playing through Mark of the Ninja Remastered as I never played it during the previous gen so making up for it now and I'm absolutely loving it. It's making me want to play more stealth games so thinking of finally sitting down with the first Dishonored as I've never played that despite loving the second one. Wishing they'd put Echo on sale as that seems to fit that boat. But guess with Hitman 2 out next week, I may look to that for more.

• Like 1

I think I need to give Celeste a look. I watched someone else play it and even took the controller to try a few bits, and I just couldn't see what the lasting appeal would be. But the positive reaction can't be ignored.

It seems PS Now is a bit of a success for Sony.

superdatastreamingq318-r471x.png

"PlayStation Now is, perhaps unsurprisingly, the dominant service by some margin, generate 52 per cent of venue. This is likely due to the sheer install base of the PlayStation 4, which stands at over 86m units sold since its November 2013 launch. Second place - by some way - is EA Access on Xbox One with a 16 per cent slice of the pie, while Xbox Game Pass claims 15 per cent of the sector's cash."

"Though the subscription model clearly works for the video games space, it certainly raises questions over how we judge the success of individual games. For example, Microsoft has announced positive launches for Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Forza Horizon 4 with some impressive early player figures, but these titles are part of its Xbox Game Pass and Play Anywhere schemes, making it less obvious how many people have actually splashed the cash on these titles. In addition, player figures don't mean a huge amount when someone could have logged in to Rare's pirate romp once and never gone back."

This is very surprising to me. I've never seen the value of PS Now, especially seeing as it was just a streaming service until recently, but clearly i'm in the minority. 

Plus the fact you could download a game from PS Now soon or later which made it an ideal service to rent a game for a couple of days.

Now they've added downloading PS4 titles from PSNow, it kind of makes sense seeing the numbers being high.

Because I'm an idiot I bought two games that are on sale in the PSN store:

Kingdom: New Lands 

Spoiler

You are a king/queen with the goal to build up and create a kingdom. The playing field is a two-dimensional landscape and there are various gameplay elements to discover (how to collect coins, what to spend money on and the various intricacies that come with certain investments). It's very enjoyable to figure out what every investment does and whether it's worthwhile to go for it depending on your kingdom's progress.

There are trophies to collect which are: "Survive 10 days", up to "Surive 100 days". I managed to survive 33 days on island one and I fail to see how it's possible to survive longer than that given the lack of resources/manpower in the endgame. I can only assume there are more islands to unlock and maybe more upgrades for your kingdom.

Enjoying it so far. I love micro management so it's quite the game for me :D 

Second game I bought: Hammerwatch

Spoiler

It's a hack-and-slash adventure. No skill trees, just buyable upgrades. Simple, addictive, fun, and difficult. Love it :D 

Sony's black Friday sale has started, lots of good discounts including Spider-Man for £35 and God of War & Detroit for £25. 

Nier Automata is also down to £16 at Argos as part of their early black Friday sale.

• Thanks 1

Parasite Eve” has been trademarked by Square Enix in Europe.

As far as I can tell, and I’ve tried to check this, the original game hasn’t been released in Europe previously, so I think this trademark lends some credence to a port/remake of the game coming soon — there’s no prior trademark for the games in Europe, so it doesn’t seem to be a trademark renewal. 

I’ve heard and read a lot of good things about the Parasite Eve games, and would love to check them out, so hopefully there’s something to this :) perhaps at The Game Awards? :p 

Edited by Julius

I might be getting (HOPEFULLY) a white PS4. There are a couple of games I want (God of War and Until Dawn) but what other games would you recommend that are exclusives?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Animal said:

I might be getting (HOPEFULLY) a white PS4. There are a couple of games I want (God of War and Until Dawn) but what other games would you recommend that are exclusives?

inFAMOUS Second Son & First Light, Uncharted 4, Persona 5 (you can get it on PS3 but it still counts!) and Horizon. :D

Oh and Spider-Man of course. :indeed:

Also... ALL of the Yakuza games. :cool:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 2

@Animal Bloodborne! I think it should be top of the list.

God of War is amazing and it's a shame more people haven't played it.

What other gen/previous gen have you had?

• Like 1

I'd like to stress Persona 5. It's an incredible game. Not quite up to Persona 4 in terms of characters and story, but far surpasses it in terms of gameplay and level design. Plus the consistently high presentation is just beautiful.

I could fanboy over P5 all day.

• Like 1

I highly recommend God of War, and Horizon: Zero Dawn (also get the Frozen Wilds DLC).  Both are fantastic games

5 years today the PS4 launched in the UK/EU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[mention=3591]Animal[/mention] Bloodborne! I think it should be top of the list.
God of War is amazing and it's a shame more people haven't played it.
What other gen/previous gen have you had?

I saw Bloodborne in my shop. It looks pretty cool. It looks like a cross between Devil May Cry and CastleVania or something.

I've got most consoles except for a Sega Saturn, a PS4 and a Switch. I thought about a Switch but it's too much money for me right now.

PS4 I've wanted for a while but I wanted to wait until there were a decent number of exclusives out to justify it as I always use my Xbox One.

inFAMOUS Second Son & First Light, Uncharted 4, Persona 5 (you can get it on PS3 but it still counts!) and Horizon.
Oh and Spider-Man of course. :indeed:
Also... ALL of the Yakuza games. :cool:
Spiderman is top of my list! I've played a bit at work and it's amazing but God of War is the one I absolutely have my heart set on.

Yakuza is probably the only ones I haven't played before. I think there were a couple on the PS3 (if it's the right games I'm thinking of) and I liked them.

Uncharted are definitely on my list too. I also want the Last of Us remastered. Is it any different on PS4?

I'd like to stress Persona 5. It's an incredible game. Not quite up to Persona 4 in terms of characters and story, but far surpasses it in terms of gameplay and level design. Plus the consistently high presentation is just beautiful.
I could fanboy over P5 all day.
I've never played any Persona games. I hear it a lot about it but never shown interest because I keep forgetting to look it up, lmao.

I'll give it a check, for sure!

I highly recommend God of War, and Horizon: Zero Dawn (also get the Frozen Wilds DLC).  Both are fantastic games

5 years today the PS4 launched in the UK/EU.

Horizon: Zero Dawn looks interesting! That's my type of game so I'll definitely grab that.

Also, does anybody know if I have to pay to play online? Is there any party chat like there is on Xbox? Literally know hardly anything about stuff like that on PS4

Before buying a PS4, learn how to edit posts :p 

6 minutes ago, Animal said:

Also, does anybody know if I have to pay to play online? Is there any party chat like there is on Xbox? Literally know hardly anything about stuff like that on PS4

You need a PS+ subscription to play online (there are exceptions but you'd have to look up which games can be played online without PS+).

Party chat exists

Edited by drahkon

7 minutes ago, Animal said:

You need a PS+ subscription to play online (there are exceptions but you'd have to look up which games can be played online without PS+).

Party chat exists.

Edit: Fucking Christ, the irony :laughing: But it wasn't actually my fault. The browser fucked up and actually made two posts :p 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1