NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

On 19/10/2018 at 11:32 AM, drahkon said:

via Pushsquare

That is an insane number if you think about it. 

Would love to see all the numbers behind it instead of just percentages, but still. Pretty big feat for PlayStation/Sony.

PSN leading the way, as per ;)

Out of interest any much detail on competitors in the market?

4 minutes ago, Rummy said:

Out of interest any much detail on competitors in the market?

Not particularly. There is, however, the following information available (written down in a blog on the site that provided the statistics above):

Nintendo%20Figures.jpg?t=1540471217256&w

Steam%20Figures.jpg?t=1540471217256&widt

XBox%20Live%20Figures.jpg?t=154047121725

Playstation%20Network%20Figures.jpg?t=15

PlayStation Network is the clear winner in downstream and upstream usage, but Xbox Live is dominant for connections. The implication is that more people are playing online games on Xbox Live (and are using different connection schemas), but more people are downloading or re-downloading new games on the PlayStation Network.

No idea how accurate and believable this is, though, considering there's a typo in those statistics. ::shrug: 

• Thanks 1

No idea how accurate and believable this is, though, considering there's a typo in those statistics. ::shrug: 

Also, if you add up all the download shares, you get more than 100%...

It also said on that blog that the downstream value is higher on PSN, meaning a larger amount of game downloads, but the total number of connections on XBL was higher, meaning more people were connecting to the service.

Mymy, Dead Cells is amazing.

Managed to beat two bosses in what has to be my 5th or 6th run. It was actually the first time I've reached any boss.

The area after the second boss wrecked my balls pretty much immediately. The first two enemies almost killed me :D Had to use both of my health potions very early on. Played it safe from that point onward but failed miserably quite quickly.

I've seen up to 100 videos of gameplay back when the game was in early access on PC and thought that seeing so much would eventually make me enjoy the game less but no. It's so good. 

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yikes.

PSN Name Changes Can Make You Lose DLC, Save Game Data, And More

If they can't do it right, twelve years on, they shouldn't do it at all.

I'm wondering if you pay attention to anything people say in this thread, as Shorty and many others pretty much covered this before and during the change.

Honestly your most recent posts here seem to be more agenda'd against Sony than legit posts for dicussion as if that's only what you're posting for - keep it up and I'll look at getting you an infraction. This I say not just for your posting alone, but also how that posting behaviour seems to cause the community to react to you(ie you bait, leading to derails - and before you accuse me of doing exactly that in this post - this is being said as a mod).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

smh. Anywaaaay...

3 hours ago, bob said:
3 hours ago, Ronnie said:
Yikes.
PSN Name Changes Can Make You Lose DLC, Save Game Data, And More
If they can't do it right, twelve years on, they shouldn't do it at all.

I know many people were asking for it, but if it's that difficult to do, why bother? Just seems like a headache.

You would hope they would iron out the bugs by the time the name change service officially rolls out. Otherwise they'll get far more grief than they had before, can't see a name change being worth losing your save game data. Or it could just affect really old games like on PS3 or something.

Edited by Ronnie

4 hours ago, Rummy said:

Honestly your most recent posts here seem to be more agenda'd against Sony than legit posts for dicussion 

He does this all the time and has done for years. 

• Like 1

Can we not do this yet again in here?

You lot should just buy Dead Cells, play it and discuss the game with me :p 

Seriously, it's really good.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Can we not do this yet again in here?

You lot should just buy Dead Cells, play it and discuss the game with me :p 

Seriously, it's really good.

Spooky, I'm watching a Let's Play of it right now. Played about 30 minutes a while back but it didn't really click for me, but this let's play is making me want to pick up my Switch right now and give it another go.

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Played about 30 minutes a while back but it didn't really click for me

What would you say was the reason?

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

What would you say was the reason?

Hard to say, just wasn't enjoying it as much as I thought I would. Played some last night though and had a much better time, will definitely stick with it now

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Hard to say, just wasn't enjoying it as much as I thought I would. Played some last night though and had a much better time, will definitely stick with it now

As with all roguelikes it'll get better the more you unlock, but you already know that :D 

What I love about Dead Cells is the combat. It's suprisingly tactical for a 2D game. 

Can't wait to have another crack at a run later today if I can get myself away from Read Dead Redemption 2.

12 minutes ago, drahkon said:

As with all roguelikes it'll get better the more you unlock, but you already know that :D 

What I love about Dead Cells is the combat. It's suprisingly tactical for a 2D game. 

Can't wait to have another crack at a run later today if I can get myself away from Read Dead Redemption 2.

Yeah it'll get better the more I put into it for sure. Got some freeze bombs last night in one run that were so useful

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah it'll get better the more I put into it for sure. Got some freeze bombs last night in one run that were so useful

Ah yes, freezing enemies saved me so many times on my best run so far.

What helped me the most during that, however, was a colourless/legendary whip that I got early on. It wrecked havoc on enemies until I reached the second boss. Felt good.

• Like 1

drahkon's Dead Cells adventure continues:

Looks like I've reached what is supposed to be the final boss and holy hell...he wrecked my balls. :laughing: Guess I need to practice a lot more. 

Spoiler

With that boss I've encountered 3 off the four bosses. The first one is quite easy.
The second one still gets me close to dying a lot...if only I had three uses of the health potion :D 
And the final boss...as I said...fucked me up good.

Decided to do a couple of speedy runs in order to unlock the timed doors. Not my kind of playstyle to be honest. You do, however, get a nice amount of cells. Still, I think for now I prefer to explore at my own pace.
Love the choice you're given, though. Play more tactical/safe, explore and get more upgrades but miss out on those timed doors; or rush through the levels, miss out on upgrades and get more cells. It's nicely balanced.

I enjoy this game immensely. Best 18 bucks I've spent recently :peace: 

Log Entry #3

It was a long journey. 

Meticulously I explored a foreign scenery. Dead bones decaying without rest. Empty skulls gazing through my every move. The battles fierce and messy. Occasional wrong decisions, missed swings and an onrush of slimey, juicy beings made out of corpses rendered progress difficult. In the end I prevailed and was able to make the rune I was searching for my own.

With new found confidence I marched on, slaying beasts, improving my skills and gaining riches. Familiar surroundings presented no challenge until the end of my journey was near.

The final enemy. One last battle to decide whether life or death prevails. 

Swords, lightning, ice, poison, spikes, broken bones, cuts, wounds, bruises, blood, sweat, grenades, fire...elements of war clashed and made the clock's hands move faster without anybody noticing. Instinct took over, thoughts escaped the mind, muscles moved without help. Mechanical, robotic, unconscious. 

In the end...death was victorious and the journey is over...

for now.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dead Cells.

In case you're wondering: I enjoy the game quite a lot :p 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

And there it is. My first successful run in Dead Cells. It was my 19th attempt. (stats say I died 13 times so far, no idea where the remaining 6 failed runs come from, though ::shrug:)

Took me about an hour. I was very deliberate with every move and decision throughout the whole ordeal.

This was the loadout that secured my win:

cuUSdFf.jpg

I fell in love with a Tactics build. The legendary Sinew Slicer and the Double Crossb-o-matic are awesome. They let you abuse most enemies' AI since they always stay in line of sight and you can just drop down and let the turrets do the job :D However, certain enemies have moves that can ruin this approach by e.g. teleporting to you.

Anyway...

The final boss fight almost ruined me yet again. It started well, but his last phase and moveset still fucks me up. I killed him with only about 10% of my own HP to spare. Phew :D 

Now the game has given me the choice of doing a run in "normal" or "hard" mode. 

giphy.gif

I think I'll pass on a higher difficulty for now and try to find more blue prints.

Dead Cells is a perfect example for a great "just-one-more-try-game". It kept me away from RDR2 and CoD: Black Ops 4 in the past few days.

And here's something that made me chuckle to end this post:

Spoiler

gTaS4ac.jpg

MMB1vnM.jpg

nMG13Ju.jpg

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 25/10/2018 at 6:32 PM, Ronnie said:

smh. Anywaaaay...

Nah Ronnie you don't get that out lol. I will remind you of an old party line - posting is a privilege, not a right. I will tell you here openly and publicly I think you are toxic to this community and did so many years ago. I think continued reaction to you(and my post in addition to a response) is wholly indicative of this. If I had my way on various occasions you'd be gone - but that's the irony. I stayed my hand as a mod as I'm expected to judge fairly and with consideration and did so. I could have had you countless times despite that but let me tell you this - as far as I'm concerned you are on your thinnest of warnings.

Also let me tell you this one as a mod right here - if you want right of reply to this post you do so either via PM or on my visitor wall but if you dare seek to try and do it again in this thread then you can face your actions. I'm tired of your disrespect not only for the moderators of this community but also to be quite frank your disrespect for its members and at times for the community itself. You are often toxic to this community(often moreso even than Wii was) and I am tired of it and so help me I will have you for it if you give me the chance, not for me or my ego, but for all these people whose only last resort each time I call you out is to react to my posts or to quote me and reply. It is wholly toxic and it will be swiftly eradicated without your presence. They are tired, and it is you of whom they are tired.

Let me remind you again - reply ONLY via my visitor wall OR via PM. Quote me in this and I'll have you for derailing. You want a public audience I'm happy to have it - but you do it on my wall and not in threads.

For everyone else here, keep calm, carry on, nothing else to see here. I want no quotes or responses on this unless they are via PM or my visitor wall.

• Like 1

Well, holy fucking shit...looks like Dead Cells will become a totally different affair with the next patch. Apparently there will be lots of changes to mechanics that are in the game right now...here are some snippets that I took from reddit:

Mob scaling based on player stats

A big issue of the current version is that the HP and, more critically, the damage from mobs scale with the player's stats. This means that mobs will kill you in a few hits when you reach high stats unless you stack damage reduction like crazy (see next section). This has led some players to advise newcomers to go with their strategy of skipping scrolls. I will not fuel the debate despite strong opinions about the matter, the important point is that this was an unintended player response to an ill-designed mechanic. Thankfully, the devs have now fixed this. Scaling on stats has been completely removed in v1.1: mobs will now have fixed HP and damage values tied to the biome they are in.

Therefore, players will now only benefit from taking scrolls. A rebalance of stat requirements will be done, and it will be necessary to take most Timed Doors and cursed chests on high difficulties (3-4 BC) in order to be strong enough.

Really like that. Right now it's kind of insane how easily enemies in the final biome can kill you. With this change the following is a no-brainer:

Damage Reduction (DR)

In the current game, DR is a very important aspect of all Brutality and Tactics builds, to the point that it is basically mandatory for players who don't want to die in 2 hits (aka most people). Currently, a lot of items give DR and it caps at 75%. In v1.1, most items will not give DR anymore and the cap will be nerfed to 30% instead of 75%.On the other hand, mob damage will be balanced accordingly, so that DR becomes the intended "safety option" instead of a mandatory game mechanic. Items that will still give DR include Amulets.

Good!

Cooldown reduction (CDR)

Cooldown reduction will be changed a lot. Currently, skill spamming (Death Orb, Cluster Grenade...) is one of the surest ways to wreck everything in your path, and Efficency/Fireworks mutations are basically no-brainers. In v1.1, CDR mutations will no longer provide a passive flat CDR%. CDR will be granted based on player actions: for instance, you will get CDR by parrying or killing enemies. This will reduce brainless skill spamming, especially against bosses. To make up for the fact that CDR will be harder to obtain, base cooldown of most skills has been lowered.

While I haven't unlocked a lot of skills/grenades and therefore haven't really encountered the skill-spamming-and-wrecking-everything-method, I appreciate this change. Will make the game more mechanical (for a lack of better word).

There are some changes I'm not too keen on, but to be honest those might all be balanced out by the big one: no more mob scaling.

Here's the reddit post. It's speculation based on dev's posts/comments but seems not too far fetched.

TLDR and timeline for the next updates

• Update 1.1 should be available on the alpha branch (PC only) soon and will focus mainly on balancing. Cannot give a precise estimate yet, but probably between 0 and 3 weeks at the most for the alpha.

• Update 1.2 is already being worked on, but a ton of stuff still needs to be done. It will be a big content update with at least 2 new biomes and 2 new bosses. Motion Twin currently doesn't know if it will be available in 2018 or next year.

• No ETA for potential further updates.

I'm actually thinking about pausing my progress with the game and wait for both patches. However, they do seem far away, especially on console (I think PC gets updates first). Difficult choice :D 

Anyway...probably a pointless post since nobody aside from @Ronnie and me are playing this :p 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

I'll definitely be getting Dead Cells, it's just a matter of when. Too many games.