NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

On 09/10/2018 at 11:26 AM, Kav said:

Help a guy out...

I’m useless at making decisions! :laughing:

22 minutes ago, Shorty said:

A factory reset wasn't required, from what I understand, just a database rebuild, which takes some time but doesn't have any lasting effect.

That's just it, from what you understand. It's confusing a ton of people, and it would be nice if Playstation actually acknowledged this hack without being dismissive and was clear in how to manage it. Some people can't seem to get into Safe Mode to rebuild.

12 hours ago, drahkon said:

servlet.ImageServer?id=01531000008hCdJ&o

To back up what @Shorty said. Option 5.

Just 5 minutes of your time is needed and everything is back to the way it was before. So yeah, no big deal.

But, but...

Oh yeah? Well Sony still suck.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Heard about these messages causing system issues, mostly affecting people who had messages open to all.  Those who had private (aka friends only) seemed to not be affected.

On 16/10/2018 at 10:31 AM, Ronnie said:

Making you need to factory reset your PS4 isn't a big deal? The replies to that post aren't exactly the most flattering. Loads of people with consoles that still need a reset because of it, and Sony's aloofness about the whole thing has rubbed them up the wrong way. Oh well.

Now, my post already addressed this and suggested the database rebuild over the full restore - so stop playing the fool. In addition they has been reinforced by others offering you graphic evidence of it being option 5 - so stop misrepresenting the situation that you're clearly unable to understand even when it's being pointed out to you.

In addition to which however I'll offer some personal experience and counter @Shorty - I've done a few rebuilds due to issues with my ps4 over last few years(as well as full backup and restore due to drive upgrade) and whilst I've heard that the rebuild CAN take a while - I don't believe any of mine have broken anything more than 5-10 minutes.

Can you explain to me how someone re-initialized their ps4 without getting into safe mode btw? Or how/why they couldn't get into it? As far as i understand(and ofc, it's just what I understand even though demonstrated the same thing Sony have officially stated prior to you stating otherwise) - there is not a way for users to re-initialize a ps4 other than through safe mode. Ofc, it's just from what I understand and you surely know more - if you can find that solution and provide it to me I'll be happy to agree with your criticisms @Ronnie but if you can't then that supposed claim holds no water.

No idea. I just quoted one of the many tweets I saw complaining about PS’s fix and/or dismissive tone. Glad it works for most people though. I switched my messages to private just to be sure. 

I see PSN was in fact borked last night. For a few hours the thing went down and people were being kicked from games, unable to play online and you couldn't access you're friends list. It didn't effect me in any real way as I was just watching TV on my PS4 but a couple of my friends were texting me asking me if I knew what was going on.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

No idea. I just quoted one of the many tweets I saw complaining about PS’s fix and/or dismissive tone. Glad it works for most people though. I switched my messages to private just to be sure. 

"That's just it, from what you understand."

You wanna sort out your glaring hypocrisy here @Ronnie, I didn't even realise everyone else would come in to school you, let alone an admission from yourself of undertaking the same criticism made to others.

Maybe despite how much it pains you to realise it you may in future accept the points made by myself and others before trotting out claims you can't even back up with any logical process?

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I see PSN was in fact borked last night. For a few hours the thing went down and people were being kicked from games, unable to play online and you couldn't access you're friends list. It didn't effect me in any real way as I was just watching TV on my PS4 but a couple of my friends were texting me asking me if I knew what was going on.

On that I was online for a lot of last night and did notice a few friendslist issues(as did a few of the OW guys) but the network itself wasn't too bad for me. I was mostly in Diablo but finding lots of online games to jump into with only one being laggy to a point of noticing (like a solid second to two between button press and cast at times) so I'm wondering if it was more the friendlist side of things than anything else or if certain games are not vulnerable to these things than others etc.

1 minute ago, Rummy said:

On that I was online for a lot of last night and did notice a few friendslist issues(as did a few of the OW guys) but the network itself wasn't too bad for me. I was mostly in Diablo but finding lots of online games to jump into with only one being laggy to a point of noticing (like a solid second to two between button press and cast at times) so I'm wondering if it was more the friendlist side of things than anything else or if certain games are not vulnerable to these things than others etc.

I checked Sony's site as it was happening ( you get to click on a link on your PS4 when there are errors when testing a connection ) and they said there were network issues. No idea what they actually were but people weren't able to sign in at all, which was stopping them from playing their games online.

10 minutes ago, Rummy said:

"That's just it, from what you understand."

You wanna sort out your glaring hypocrisy here @Ronnie, I didn't even realise everyone else would come in to school you, let alone an admission from yourself of undertaking the same criticism made to others.

Maybe despite how much it pains you to realise it you may in future accept the points made by myself and others before trotting out claims you can't even back up with any logical process?

No one’s schooled me. Least of all you. Stop being so needlessly rude. The whole situation hasn’t been helped by Sony’s strangely muted or dismissive tone. 

Edited by Ronnie

18 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

PSN still leading the way, as per.

Edited by Ronnie

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Like I said, PSN leading the way as per.

This kind of thing has happened a few times this year. What gets me is there is no apology, no real update as to why it happened...nothing at all. People pay for this service and I would personally like a little more communication from Sony when things like this do happen. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

No one’s schooled me. Least of all you. Stop being so needlessly rude. The whole situation hasn’t been helped by Sony’s strangely muted or dismissive tone. 

Though exactly what I posted in my post was Sony's officially line and even when I posted it you ignored it to suggest a full reset.

Sure thing Ronnie. You weren't wrong at all despite so many coming out to call you on it in this thread. Keep on keeping on talking about what you don't know.

After all, that's just it, you THINK you understand, and yet when challenged you backed it with nothing. Still waiting to hear how that guy re-initialized his ps4 without safe mode, as you understand so much more than me and everyone else here. Schooled, or Educated if you cannot understand the anology, as I said. Rudeness is dismissing someone as not understanding then showing a more prevelance ignorance than them, imo.

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

PSN still leading the way, as per.

Still point scoring, as per...

From what was said, it went down for an evening. Big deal. Services go down. They just do. Trains are late, electricity goes out, water gets cut off. It happens and people move on. Apparently not when a consoles network goes out though. Then it's a huge deal and the company is a joke.

Edited by Goafer

On 10/16/2018 at 12:15 PM, Kav said:

I’m useless at making decisions! :laughing:

Sooo...did you make a decision? :p 

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is an absolute blast, by the way :D 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Sooo...did you make a decision? :p 

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is an absolute blast, by the way :D 

I’m trading in Battlefield 1, The Last of Us & Doom and I’ll be picking up CoD tomorrow.

Not sure when I’ll get on at the mo though as the baby is still keeping me very much occupied - awake at night, haha.

6 minutes ago, Kav said:

I’m trading in Battlefield 1, The Last of Us & Doom and I’ll be picking up CoD tomorrow.

Not sure when I’ll get on at the mo though as the baby is still keeping me very much occupied - awake at night, haha.

Oh right, you have a baby :D You should play CoD together :p 

Anyway, good choice. I've played about 18 hours of multiplayer and zombies in the last few days and whenever I'm at work I want to get back home to play more. It's just soooo good. Still haven't touched Blackout as I fear that this will pull me away from everything else :laughing: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kav said:

Should tide you over til November 20, at which point you can trade it in.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dwarf said:

Should tide you over til November 20, at which point you can trade it in.

There’s a temptation to get them both given I’m trading in games for CoD and getting it cheaper.

I probably can’t justify it though given that I hardly game much these days. :cry:

According to a new report from Sandvine, 2.7 per cent of global internet traffic comes from PS4 downloads. That may not sound like a lot, but making a dent in a worldwide statistic like this means that people are using Sony's console to download a massive amount of data. To put it another way, it's the tenth largest individual source of internet traffic worldwide.

chartoftheday_15692_distribution_of_glob

via Pushsquare

That is an insane number if you think about it. 

Would love to see all the numbers behind it instead of just percentages, but still. Pretty big feat for PlayStation/Sony.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, drahkon said:

via Pushsquare

That is an insane number if you think about it. 

Would love to see all the numbers behind it instead of just percentages, but still. Pretty big feat for PlayStation/Sony.

Very impressive. It shows that the PS4 is a gateway for more than just gaming. I know I use mine for watching Sky, Netflix and Amazon Prime content. Thinking about it, it's actually the only thing I use to watch TV shows and movies. I don't have a digital box or an aerial hooked up to my TV.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Very impressive. It shows that the PS4 is a gateway for more than just gaming. I know I use mine for watching Sky, Netflix and Amazon Prime content. Thinking about it, it's actually the only thing I use to watch TV shows and movies. I don't have a digital box or an aerial hooked up to my TV.

Same here. We have a Chromecast downstairs and a PS4 in my office/man cave. It's actually saved us money overall, as we have no need for a smart TV, so we just bought the cheaper, non-smart version for hundreds of pounds less. 

We don't even pay the TV licence anymore, as we don't need it. We watch everything on catch-up (only the iPlayer actually requires a licence, which we don't watch), Netflix and YouTube. Still have to declare that we don't need it every year though. The BBC are persistent bastards.

• Like 2

Is this not the huge update and game files being downloaded though? Any Netflix or other media being watched through PS4 would count towards those sections of the graph.

If anything this just seems to show the sheer size of data you need to download these days to get games running. Each update is in the order of 50gb, which is around the size of streaming 5 seasons of HD TV.

Well...Dead Cells is on sale for 18€ instead of 25€.

Have been tempted to get it since its release and with payday coming in a week it's time to dive in. Bought it, downloading now :D Can't wait :peace: