NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

7 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

Though, is it me, or does the patent read more like a virtual console/Xbox One X visual enhancement type of thing? 

It literally says "Remastering by emulation" at the top of the patent so I would agree with you. They would need to include a laser to read CD's, DVD and Blu-ray which I'm not sure they would bother with.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2018 at 1:27 PM, Julius Caesar said:

I think that many of us will agree that Xbox’s backwards compatibility is one of only a few things that Xbox objectively has done better than PlayStation this generation

I'd argue it's really only the exclusives that Playstation has over Xbox this generation. Now granted, that's a pretty big deal and the majority reason why it's selling much better but Xbox is ahead in a lot of other ways and now that it looks like they might have sorted exclusive games for next gen.

Things like backwards compatibility, Game Pass being brilliant and great value for money, Games with Gold over PS+, the Xbox One controller being fantastic and the DS4 having the battery life of a Fisher Price toy, the whole design lab where you can make your own controllers, the hardware design, The X being an actual 4K console, the Elite controller, their E3 conferences the last couple of years, the whole cross play thing with Fortnite and Minecraft, being able to change your username etc. Xbox has gotten a lot right this year, far more than Playstation, it's just that they're lacking in the (by far) most important part!

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Ronnie said:

the Elite controller

I can't comment on the other stuff, but I can speak out of experience you can cross this one of your list.

• Haha 1

What's wrong with the Xbox One Elite Controller?

It's of much better build quality than the regular controller, easily allows for a wired connection and has interchangable sticks/d-pad.

Yeah the price... obviously, I got mine cheaper though as the time and the fact that the face buttons are colourless but aside from that, I've found it to be fantastic...

...when I actually play my Xbox One. :p

Which is actually a reasonable amount recently thanks to Forza Horizon 4.

My answer would be... Neither, save your money for better games. :p

But seeing as you said one or the other... Battlefield V without hesitation. :peace:

I haven't played either betas or whatever, that's just my instant reaction based on what I've heard about both games, so it's a pretty unbiased opinion for what it's worth... :D

I'm not meaning to sound too harsh on either game series, they've just fallen way out of favour with me over the years and completely off my radar. ::shrug:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kav said:

Help a guy out...

You'll likely feel vindicated by either decision (and you've probably already made one deep down).

Having played online multiplayer FPS games for around 10 years now, for me CoD doesn't offer enough anymore. It has longevity simply because it's addictive, but the addiction is pernicious. Everything becomes routine. From the way you move around the maps, to the endless deaths from indirect, non-skill-based weapons (explosions, gadgets, killstreaks, etc), to the inevitable attachments you form with  particular class set-ups. Moreover, the frustration of playing the game becomes routine. But the addiction is such that you don't notice the frustration - instead you play through it to improve on your last round or rank up. Anything that reduces you to that state of unthinking should be avoided.

Battlefield by contrast is more open-ended and keeps you from settling into a routine. There are more ways of using space and movement to outplay opponents. You have to use your head a bit more, and landing a kill requires more skill/precision. And at the end of a session, you might just come away with a moment or two that's worth using the share button for. 

Battle royale might change things for you, understandably. For me though, within the span of the Blackout beta, I grew bored of the sheer amount of time you spend looking at the floor scavenging for items, and dicking around in the inventory, often for very little pay off - either because you get killed unexpectedly, or because the round ends with a tepid final encounter which didn't require you to be armed to the teeth. Don't get me wrong, Blackout is way more interesting than the base multiplayer, and as a BR mode it's executed well, but I guess I'm not as taken aback by BR as I thought I'd be. If a BR game/mode comes along that's less oriented around OCD scavenging and more about concentrating on your environment, I might be interested. We'll see if Firestorm's focus on objectives adds something new to the mix.  

Edited by dwarf
  • Thanks 2

It's official.  PSN name changes are coming.

Rolling out this year in a test perod, then fully out for all in 2019.  First change is free, then £7.99 per change (£3.99 per change if PS+ user).  Small catch, name changes will work with all games made/released April 2018 and might have issues with games released before this date.  But, you can revert to your old PSN username for free

• Like 1

They're charging to change a username? :blank: Weird how it's only guaranteed with games after April 2018.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

They're charging to change a username? :blank: Weird how it's only guaranteed with games after April 2018.

First one is free (similar to how it's done with the Xbox Gamertags) and charging for each additional change afterwards.

I also assume you mean games since April 2018 and not just during that month 😋

I wonder if those with a problem will still show your old one and if people can still find you with your old one? Otherwise things like Destiny, Overwatch etc will be buggered. Unless it can be patched in by choice and it's only guaranteed by default from April. 

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

I also assume you mean games since April 2018 and not just during that month 😋

I wonder if those with a problem will still show your old one and if people can still find you with your old one? Otherwise things like Destiny, Overwatch etc will be buggered. Unless it can be patched in by choice and it's only guaranteed by default from April. 

I'm imaging the base tags will all stay taken and not overwritten, and the 'change' being something sort of on top/patched in but some old code or infrastructure can't neccessarily follow it. Personally not got any intention to change but if I did I'd probably want to wait it out and be sure it's all working ok before I did - but I guess for some that might forego them the jump on the name they really want.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

PSN setting the standard once again...

Tbh it isn't actually so much a psn issue I imagine but rather more a system software hole left that leaves some overflow vulnerability or something. It's bad that the system can be 'broken' like this but it is something that comes with more dynamic systems.

We should take some solace in the fact they've not yet so far been discovered to have released easily hard hackable hardware such as the launch Switches and it's vulnerability (especially in comparison to it's far less robust online structure that could leave more regular players exposed to abuse of said hack) but I think we both know where that conversation is going to go. That's no doubt a far harder problem for them to patch(and if offer evidence of the original BootMii and Wii as an example of this when they had to revise the hardware). Also take into account that if your console DOES somehow get bricked by this vulnerability you do still have easy home solutions to the problem even if it IS a full restore - again far more than what is offered on a similar front from Nintendo for a similar issue afaik. You could argue it being something similar to a lack of foresight by Sony on the PSN names issue tho.

On the side of it for anyone who does recieve it - apparently if it DOES brick the PS4 and you can't get back in even if you do delete the message somehow - it's worth trying the recovery/safe mode database rebuild before going hard at a full restore - I recall reading some who weren't able to fix it with just the delete had success with both. 

Amazing. 

Anywaaay, things like this just reinforce my decision not to renew PS+. Playstation’s whole infrastructure needs a reboot and I imagine they know it. 

For now I’ve changed my privacy settings so that only friends can message, suggest people do the same. Bizarre how a string of smiley faces can cause that much chaos. 

Ah well, I've disabled messaging on there for now, only way to be 100% sure I guess. ::shrug:

I've got a few of those weird 'companionship' messages, but I always view them through the app on my phone and so they can't do any damage.

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Amazing. 

Anywaaay, things like this just reinforce my decision not to renew PS+. Playstation’s whole infrastructure needs a reboot and I imagine they know it. 

For now I’ve changed my privacy settings so that only friends can message, suggest people do the same. Bizarre how a string of smiley faces can cause that much chaos. 

It's got nothing to do with the infrastructure other than it the way it's delivered to the system, it's a bug in the firmware/os that isn't handling a certain combination of unicode characters correctly. Apple, Google and Whatsapp have all had similar bugs and (one of/)their primary focus is messaging.

• Like 1

I've been hesitant to turn my PS4 on since reading these reports, have just logged into the app to check my settings are private and luckily they were already. I always found it weird that spam accounts could message anyone if their settings were open, I've never really engaged with the messaging side of things but have had a couple of messages claiming to be from hot girls so I must have just decided to turn them off.

Making you need to factory reset your PS4 isn't a big deal? The replies to that post aren't exactly the most flattering. Loads of people with consoles that still need a reset because of it, and Sony's aloofness about the whole thing has rubbed them up the wrong way. Oh well.

A factory reset wasn't required, from what I understand, just a database rebuild, which takes some time but doesn't have any lasting effect.

33 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Making you need to factory reset your PS4 isn't a big deal? The replies to that post aren't exactly the most flattering. Loads of people with consoles that still need a reset because of it, and Sony's aloofness about the whole thing has rubbed them up the wrong way. Oh well.

servlet.ImageServer?id=01531000008hCdJ&o

To back up what @Shorty said. Option 5.

Just 5 minutes of your time is needed and everything is back to the way it was before. So yeah, no big deal.

Edited by drahkon