NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Hey, it’s almost E3 again! PlayStation’s got plenty of updates to share — so many, in fact, that we’re going to start the party a little early.

Here’s our ‘Countdown to E3’ schedule:

Wednesday, 6th June at 4.00PM BST/5.00pm CEST
Announce: New PS4 game With PS VR support

Thursday, 7th June at 4.00PM BST/5.00pm CEST
Release date for an upcoming Worldwide Studios title

Friday, 8th June at 4.00PM BST/5.00pm CEST
Announce: New PS4 game

Saturday, 9th June at 4.00PM BST/5.00pm CEST
Announce: New PS VR game

Sunday, 10th June at 4.00PM BST/5.00pm CEST
Details: An eagerly anticipated game comes to PS VR

Source

Pretty cool.

Ugh just do all that at your E3 conference when people will actually be paying attention

12 hours ago, drahkon said:

Source

Pretty cool.

That's a nice way to drum up excitement for the main event.

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Ugh just do all that at your E3 conference when people will actually be paying attention

I imagine a lot of these announcements, especially the VR stuff, would get lost in a sea of E3 news, so I can see why they would want to get them out of  the way. Plus, it gives fans something to look forward to in the lead up to E3.

On 6/5/2018 at 7:08 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

That's a nice way to drum up excitement for the main event.

I imagine a lot of these announcements, especially the VR stuff, would get lost in a sea of E3 news, so I can see why they would want to get them out of  the way. Plus, it gives fans something to look forward to in the lead up to E3.

I thought their pre-show last year when they announced a bunch of games that one knew about because so few people were watching, wasn't received well in general? Personally won't bother tuning in to any of those, but I guess that's just me.

Fair enough about giving the hardcore fans something to look forward to though.

Edited by Ronnie

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I thought their pre-show last year when they announced a bunch of games that one knew about because so few people were watching, wasn't received well in general?

I think it came down to expectations. Once again many people hyped up the pre-show as some massive event, when all it ever was about was to give a very smaller games a time to shine outside of the main event.

I'll not bother with the VR announcements but i'll keep an eye on the other ones. I imagine the release date will be either Days Gone or Dreams.

If the Showcase will be 40 minutes long, 10 minutes of gameplay footage for each game shown in that teaser, I'll be satisfied.

Looks like MS just gave a multiplatform showcase. Easy work for Sony and Nintendo.

• Weird 1

2 minutes ago, Choze said:

Looks like MS just gave a multiplatform showcase. Easy work for Sony and Nintendo.

How many of those games will appear on Switch?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I think you're missing his point

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

The weaknesses for Ms just were not addressed. Its going to a rough time for them outside of these events. 

Their strategy is to not go after users directly. 

Edited by Choze

Microsoft clearly paid a lot of money to get to announce new games to make for an interesting show, covering up for the fact it has very little in the way of actual good exclusives coming.

They were careful with their language and as ever, didn't say which platforms each multiplatform game was coming to.

44 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Microsoft clearly paid a lot of money to get to announce new games to make for an interesting show, covering up for the fact it has very little in the way of actual good exclusives coming.

They were careful with their language and as ever, didn't say which platforms each multiplatform game was coming to.

Why would they announce what platforms the games were coming to? It was a Microsoft conference, they're not about to promote Playstation.

Halo, Gears, Forza, Crackdown, Cuphead, Metro, Ori, We Happy Few... those aren't bad exclusives coming

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 2

But most of these will be coming to PC/windows as well, so I wouldn't really call them exclusive games tbh. I mean, I have a gaming PC. I'm not gonna go out and buy a new Xbox One just because they had a great conference. I can get almost all the games I thought was interesting on my PC, so that is not a good deal for Xbox.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Why would they announce what platforms the games were coming to? It was a Microsoft conference, they're not about to promote Playstation.

Halo, Gears, Forza, Crackdown, Cuphead, Metro, Ori, We Happy Few... those aren't bad exclusives coming

Well it's pretty misleading to show games they way they did and you then to have to figure out whether it's also coming to the platform you own. I'm not expecting them to actually say it's coming to PS4 but when they show the last slide with the details it could show the usual (small) symbols of supported platforms. If I was the third party dev who made the game, I'd want the public to know my game was coming to as many people as possible. I'm not sure when this leaving out of information started happening, but it's still pretty annoying.

When you think about it, paying to announce third party games ahead of their competitor is a bit of a farce - surely this doesn't have any impact on sales in their favour? Same for Sony when they do it too. I can only think MS doing it here is because if they didn't, they wouldn't really have enough games to fill a presentation. Instead of people commenting on the lack of exclusive games they're instead chattering about the cool new games they've seen.

Commenting on your last bit:

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

This lineup is quite stale. Halo, Gears and Forza is what MS have been peddling for years now. We Happy Few is not an exclusive - also coming to PS4 and PC. Note that in your list there is not one exclusive which is a new game rather than a sequel. The gulf between Microsoft and PS4 at this stage in terms of existing/coming exclusive content is massive.

Edited by Sheikah

Their studio acquisitions mean the brand new exclusives are 2-3 years off but it's a big step in the right direction.

I still don't see it as misleading that they didn't put Playstation logos at the end of those multiplatform trailers. You'd never see an Xbox logo at Playstation.

Sony even blurred out an Xbox controller in one of their videos, which is hilariously petty.

I don't blame Microsoft for not wanting to advertise a competitor.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bob said:

Sony even blurred out an Xbox controller in one of their videos, which is hilariously petty.

I don't blame Microsoft for not wanting to advertise a competitor.

Especially when said competitor is so anti-consumer about allowing cross-play between platforms like Microsoft and Nintendo do. 

Down the road again!
Just can't wait to get down the road again.
The life I love is making music with my friends.
And I can't wait to get down the road again.

• Haha 1

Beyond showing Spiderman, The Last of Us Part 2, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima, they've said that they'll be giving some light to select third party games and indie titles but I suspect they'll be used as filled to bridge the gaps between the 4 games they're focusing on. It's likely that we'll see Call of Duty and Destiny as well as the likes of Kingdom Hearts 3 and probably a bigger look at Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice but I can't put my finger on what else they'll show third party wise.

Give Microsoft they're due, they do manage to give the third parties a good showing, even if they don't have the quantity of first party titles. I'd hope Sony would borrow from them on that front and on the indie front as well.

From my perspective, I'm interested to see if there are any big surprises for indie game announcements coming to the PS4. I also can't wait to see Ghost of Tsushima, that's my pick of the 4 they're focusing on. I can wait on Spiderman as its release is close enough and I'm not sold on Death Stranding as I've never played a Kojima title so it means little to me until I see some extended gameplay. The Last of Us Part 2 is something I could take or leave as I thought the first game closed itself off well enough, despite obvious scope for expansion. It all comes down to the strength of the story I suppose.

I won't be watching live so I'll be catching up first thing in the morning but I'm hopeful for some good announcements.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Their studio acquisitions mean the brand new exclusives are 2-3 years off but it's a big step in the right direction.

I still don't see it as misleading that they didn't put Playstation logos at the end of those multiplatform trailers. You'd never see an Xbox logo at Playstation.

That's why I mentioned when Sony do it it's stupid too - citing a competitor doing it too doesn't make smoke and mirrors right. It's just extremely obvious and damning in this case with Microsoft as it's the vast majority of what they're showing. I would be annoyed if I had invested into Microsoft's console and ecosystem and this late into the generation they're developing/releasing so little in the way of new IP. Especially when they've cancelled games too - it's not really good enough to say it'll be better in 2 or 3 years!

I want Microsoft to get their act together to serve as better competition to Sony as competition is always a good thing.

Edited by Sheikah

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Especially when said competitor is so anti-consumer about allowing cross-play between platforms like Microsoft and Nintendo do. 

Huh, so this is what it looks like when someone tries to paint Microsoft in a pro-consumer light. Don't think I've ever seen it before.