NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

While the PlayStation 4 may be entering the final phase of its lifecycle, Sony intends to support the system through 2021 and potentially beyond. The platform holder pledged support to the platform as part of a mid-term corporate strategy report, which spans now through 31st March, 2021. Realistically, the console will probably have some legs beyond that as well.

The organisation admitted as part of the presentation that hardware sales will eventually taper off, but the company expects to soften that blow with service and software sales. PlayStation Plus currently has 34.2 million members, for example – a number which it hopes to both maintain and improve upon as the generation matures.

Via PushSquare and Sony

Great news :peace:

• Thanks 3

Give them their due, they do tend to ensure their consoles stick around for a while after they've been replaced. 

Hell, they supported the vita for years and that was dead the day after it arrived 😋

• Haha 6

• PlayStation 4 software breaks a record: PlayStation 4 software dollar sales in April 2018 set an all-time April high for any platform since tracking began in 1995. The record had previously been held by Xbox 360 and was set in April 2008.
  • PlayStation 4 hardware breaks a record: Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console hardware platform in April, and remains the best-selling console hardware platform year to date. PlayStation 4 generated the highest April unit sales for a Console since Nintendo Wii in April 2009, and the highest April dollar sales for a Console since Nintendo Wii in April 2008.

Crazy figures for a console that has been on the market for over 4 years now. Dat God of War effect.

• Thanks 2

God of War makes really good use of the news feed auto posts (at least I think it posts automatically on the players behalf?). Every time I see one on my feed I think "that looks awesome, I'm definitely getting that next". Only other game that comes to mind with auto posts is GTAV, those are just really irritating.

Would anyone mind posting a picture of their PS4 game collection (with a list of any decent downloads)? Any hidden gems/bargains?

I'm picking up another PS4 soon having sold my last one a year ago so I'm looking for suggestions.

Also, what are people looking forward to? I'm interested in:

• The Last of Us: Part 2
  • Death Stranding 
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Red Dead 2
  • Dreams (I'm a bit on the fence about it to be frank)
  • Battlefield V
  • We Happy Few

A lot of mindless violence, looking at it.

Edited by dwarf

Too lazy to do the picture thing so a generic list incoming for you @dwarf

• Nier Automata
  • Persona 5
  • God of War
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Bloodborne
  • Dark Souls
  • Destiny 2
  • MGS:V
  • Hellblade
  • The Witcher 3
  • Resident Evil 7

Just a small random selection of some of what I had the most enjoyment with. Oh, Titanfall 2 also!

• Like 1

Funnily enough, Nier and Persona are at the top of my list.

Might try God of War when it drops in price. 

I would've been interested in The Witcher but man doesn't have time to play that. Plus it's old and I feel no hype for it.

Dark Souls 3 was proof of serious franchise stagnation for me. Really hoping Bloodborne 2 (if that is indeed what the creepy trailer was teasing) pulls something out of the hat.

Not so keen for the rest of those, especially Horizon given that Zelda has completely obliterated competition in that area. 

Mostly holding out for The Last of Us and Red Dead (I've never owned a Rockstar game before. Need to correct that).

Wohoooo. Online co-op? Yes, please. Looks like a day-one buy for me :D

Horizon is very good even in a world with Breath of the Wild (of course I’m a heretic). 

If you've never had a Rockstar game before, honestly GTA:V is pretty great. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dwarf said:

Funnily enough, Nier and Persona are at the top of my list.

Might try God of War when it drops in price. 

I would've been interested in The Witcher but man doesn't have time to play that. Plus it's old and I feel no hype for it.

Dark Souls 3 was proof of serious franchise stagnation for me. Really hoping Bloodborne 2 (if that is indeed what the creepy trailer was teasing) pulls something out of the hat.

Not so keen for the rest of those, especially Horizon given that Zelda has completely obliterated competition in that area. 

Mostly holding out for The Last of Us and Red Dead (I've never owned a Rockstar game before. Need to correct that).

Ignore your feelings and just play Horizon and The Witcher 3. 

We’re very excited to announce that we’re bringing back Days of Play this year – a global promotion that celebrates the passionate PlayStation community and your endless support by offering epic deals at participating retailers.

From 8th to 18th June, we are offering discounts on hardware, peripherals and PlayStation 4 exclusive games.

Additionally, we will be introducing a Days of Play Limited Edition PS4 system on 8th June, priced €299.99 RRP*. The limited-edition console in Days of Play Blue, features the iconic PlayStation symbols in a gold design.

The system comes with two matching DualShock 4 wireless controllers, which also feature subtle gold PlayStation shapes on the touchpad. This special Days of Play PS4 will be available at a promotional price during Days of Play only, so make sure not to miss out!

Days of Play

The discounts throughout the 11 days include:

• PS4 Days of Play Limited Edition with two wireless controllers €299.99 RRP*
  • PS VR Starter Pack with additional software bundle €249.99 RRP
  • DualShock 4 and Limited Edition DualShock 4 from €39.99 RRP
  • God Of War for €49.99 RRP
  • GT Sport for €19.99 RRP
  • Shadow of the Colossus for €19.99 RRP
  • Uncharted: Lost Legacy for €19.99 RRP
  • Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for €29.99 RRP
  • Uncharted 4 for €19.99 RRP
  • PS VR games from €19.99 RRP
  • And much more

What’s more, PlayStation Store will be offering promotions on popular games and network service memberships starting 8th June – look out for deals on PS Plus and PS Now subscriptions.

That PS4 does look sexy.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2018 at 4:11 PM, dwarf said:

Would anyone mind posting a picture of their PS4 game collection (with a list of any decent downloads)? Any hidden gems/bargains?

I'm picking up another PS4 soon having sold my last one a year ago so I'm looking for suggestions.

• Death Stranding 
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Red Dead 2
  • Battlefield V
  • We Happy Few

Soz brah, but be reassured it went to a fucking good home ;)

As for recommendations I don't think our tastes overlap too much; what kind of stuff do you tend to like?

• Death Stranding 
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Red Dead 2
  • Battlefield V
  • We Happy Few
As someone who likes the Souls series, get Nioh. It's really good.
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 3:06 PM, Rummy said:

Soz brah, but be reassured it went to a fucking good home ;)

As for recommendations I don't think our tastes overlap too much; what kind of stuff do you tend to like?

Ha! Completely forgot about that. 

That's an incredibly tough question and would probably require an essay to answer. Broadly I like games that do interesting things with narrative (form) and games that give you freedom - be it to explore the world or tackle problems. 

But then I do play a lot of straight-up 3rd person shooters and FPS games if they look pretty and feel satisfying to play. Even there though some the things I mentioned above still apply - for example, I'd take the freedom and creative possibilities offered by Battlefield over the more 'closed' design of Call of Duty.

5 hours ago, Sheikah said:
On 5/25/2018 at 4:11 PM, dwarf said:
  • Death Stranding 
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Red Dead 2
  • Battlefield V
  • We Happy Few

As someone who likes the Souls series, get Nioh. It's really good.

If I had infinite time I would definitely consider it. 

On the last PS4 I played: Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3, Rocket League, Black Ops 3, Fallout 4, Firewatch, MGS5: Ground Zeroes

I recently bought Nier. 

Of those games, only Uncharted, Firewatch, Rocket League and Nier were really worth playing. 

Of the stuff that's already out which I haven't played, I'm definitely going to buy: Furi, Moonlighter, What Remains of Edith Finch, and Persona 5 

Then the list of unlikely maybes:

Detroit, God of War, Nioh, Doom, Prey, The Witcher 3, Monster Hunter, XCom 2 (it's on Plus, might give it a try), Bound, Sonic, Transistor

I've yet to be blown away by a PS4 game that really justifies the system (don't get me wrong, there's a hugely varied and solid library), so my hopes are resting on Red Dead and TLoU.

Edited by dwarf

A bit of creativity and freedom eh? Gravity Rush sounds like it might be up your alley then. 

Also Valkyria Chronicles was also an interesting bit of 3rd Person action. I never played past the first game and while the story was a bit bland the gameplay was certainly solid. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nolan said:

A bit of creativity and freedom eh? Gravity Rush sounds like it might be up your alley then. 

Also Valkyria Chronicles was also an interesting bit of 3rd Person action. I never played past the first game and while the story was a bit bland the gameplay was certainly solid. 

I haven't finished Gravity Rush yet, but I quite like it. It's a fun game and you can probably pick it up for pittance on PSN. So, +1 for that.

The only thing that made me discount that was the fact it was originally a Vita game.

Otherwise yes, looks rad. Worth getting on PS4?

I've played a fair bit of Overwatch at mates' houses and it's lit af but I know I'd spend too much time on it. Plus no hype for it.

P.S I'm on an apprentice's wage so I'm essentially a pauper

Edited by dwarf

Yes, the gravity rush remaster is pretty well done. You’ll be able to tell it wasn’t originally console centric, but with the relative power of the Vita it holds up pretty well. 

Ahhh apprenticeship (pipe insulator)days. I don’t miss them, it’ll get better when you’re turned out. Do you mind if I ask what you’re apprenticing for?

Having recently played Gravity Rush 2, I'm pretty eh on the series. The beautiful art design and great traversal mechanics are really wasted on the bad mission design. The story's a bit of a mess, too.

If you enjoy Naughty Dog's brand of narrative single-player games, you'll probably like God of War. And you should definitely check out Doom if you like first-person shooters.

9 hours ago, Nolan said:

Yes, the gravity rush remaster is pretty well done. You’ll be able to tell it wasn’t originally console centric, but with the relative power of the Vita it holds up pretty well. 

Ahhh apprenticeship (pipe insulator)days. I don’t miss them, it’ll get better when you’re turned out. Do you mind if I ask what you’re apprenticing for?

I'm a news reporter for my local paper, so a little bit different!

9 hours ago, Magnus said:

Having recently played Gravity Rush 2, I'm pretty eh on the series. The beautiful art design and great traversal mechanics are really wasted on the bad mission design. The story's a bit of a mess, too.

Argh, I don't know who to believe anymore.

Edited by dwarf

The first Gravity Rush is a great game. The sequel makes the terrible mistake of having a bigger world to explore. The original was a tight game, whereas the sequel feels bloated, with a story that drags on and is less interesting. I loved the original ( both Vita and PS4 versions ) but ended up dropping the sequel.