NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

I usually don’t notice the fan noise. God of War is the exception, I definitely hear it ramping up. 

As for TIM, basically as long as they used something the difference between the types isn’t that huge. Hell you can use cheese if you want. 

I don't notice the noise anymore. Wrapping my PS4 in thick blankets works wonders.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:
2 hours ago, RedShell said:
People always mention the dust thing (and I’m not saying it doesn’t contribute to the loud fan noise) but I’m pretty sure a lot of the cases of “jet engine” PS4 systems is more likely down to Sony just skimping on the thermal paste.
I’m pretty sure my PS4 was loud from day 1, right out of the box, no dust at all. :hehe: 
Oh well, can’t play the game that made it loudest anymore (The Tomorrow Children emoji20.png) and probably won’t be getting God of War, so I’m not too fussed now. ::shrug: Hopefully they pay a bit more attention to this issue on the PS5.

I think it's more that loud noise is just annoying, whereas the consequences of lack of cooling will be financially damaging for them.

I guess.

It’s just annoying how there seems to be so much variation between systems, certainly doesn’t put their hardware design or quality control in a good light. I mean it’s essentially a lottery as to whether or not you get a quiet or loud PS4, and for a mass produced product intended to be identical that’s pretty crappy. 

38 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I guess.

It’s just annoying how there seems to be so much variation between systems, certainly doesn’t put their hardware design or quality control in a good light. I mean it’s essentially a lottery as to whether or not you get a quiet or loud PS4, and for a mass produced product intended to be identical that’s pretty crappy. 

It's probably to do with whether you have the original or slim PS4 (or the Pro), what game you're playing, how much dust is clogged in your system, and whether you're in a hot room or not. I would expect the noise to vary based on the level of fan operation and the model.

Sony have revealed in their financials that they sold 19 million consoles in FY18, which is 1 million less than in FY17 but 1 million more than they had forecasted.

They forecast that they will sell 16 million units in this fiscal year, ending March 31st 2019, which would mean that they would only need to sell a further 8 million units in the following fiscal year to ensure that the PS4 is the first console to sell over 100 million units since the Nintendo Wii. 

To date, 76 million PS4s have been sold, meaning that it should surpass the PS3’s lifetime sales (~84 million) by the end of this year. There are also currently 34.2 million PS+ subscribers, and software sales are impressively up from FY17’s 217.9 million units sold to 246.9 million units sold. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 3:08 PM, Rummy said:

How long did PS2 keep running alongside PS3? Sony were in some parts their own competition at first, given the PS2 seemed to be such a ubiquitous console for folks. For me PS4 surely has at least 2-4 more years, maybe with a cheap switch thrown in alongside. It feels quite future proof to me tbh.

Sony sold around 40M more PS2's once the PS3 was the market. Absolutely insane.

• Like 2

Yeah but how many of them were people accidentally buying the old one when they wanted the new? Hmmm?

4 hours ago, bob said:
6 hours ago, Goron_3 said:

Yeah but how many of them were people accidentally buying the old one when they wanted the new? Hmmm?

Probably like....3?

My controller left analogue is a bit buggered, slowly moving by itself. I assume the only 'fix' here is buy a new one?

My controller left analogue is a bit buggered, slowly moving by itself. I assume the only 'fix' here is buy a new one?
Might just need resetting? Is there a hard reset you can do with controllers?

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Is it a launch model controller which came with the system? If so then apparently Sony will replace them, might take a month though. :sad:

If it's one of the newer coloured controllers (red, blue etc) then I don't know, you might have just been unlucky or it has just happened over time.

I might be able to help you out if Sony can't or won't. :peace:

I got it when Destiny came out (was bundled with) so that was what, September 2014?

19 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I got it when Destiny came out (was bundled with) so that was what, September 2014?

Ah so that's the white PS4 with the same coloured controller presumably... OK then that's maybe not launch, but apparently that shouldn't matter.

I found this...

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS4-Support/You-can-now-exchange-your-PlayStation-4-and-DS4-controller/m-p/22270313

...which seems to suggest that you can send the controller in quite easily for repair, I think... there's also instructions on how to try a reset if needed but it might not help.

Anyway, keep me updated either way, if you have any joy or not because I upgraded to a newer wired PS4 controller last year which I seem to use exclusively, so I have a newer PS4 controller from when they originally released the aqua blue and magma red controllers - it's the blue one - that I could spare... it has had... maybe a hundred hours use? if that... it's in good condition, (though obviously I'll clean and test it if it turns out you need it) and has a pair of those thumb stick covers (optional) which preserve the control stick rubber pretty well and make the pad better to use I think. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G

10 hours ago, Ashley said:

My controller started doing that a few months ago! @Fierce_LiNk wouldn't believe me, pffff.

I've switched to an older controller because mine became unplayable. :(

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ashley said:

I bought a gold one after I got my ps4 and it started doing that about a year ago. Basically my left stick very slightly veers to the left often, but also sometimes it'll be doing it when I actually press the right trigger even if I'm not touching the left stick. Googled a bit and spoke to a few of the Broverwatch guys from here and apparently it's only a new buy solution - I did open the pad and have a look but it didn't seem like something obviously fixable. Interestingly built pad otherwise though.

Edit: you've inspired me to look into new fixes. I've just seen some weird thing about a 30 click re-calib; gonna keep researching do some experiments and let you know how it goes.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Eenuh said:

My controller started doing that a few months ago! @Fierce_LiNk wouldn't believe me, pffff.

I've switched to an older controller because mine became unplayable. :(

You know what he deserves?

853068.gif?b64lines=

Thanks for the advice @S.C.G  I'll have a look when I'm a bit less foggy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Ashley I realise this may seem mad but a lot of info I'm finding is suggesting a series of 20-30 clicks on the stick. In natural, then up then down then left then right(30 in each before next). Don't think the order matters but just go opposite direction after first then other two directions kinda like you would with wheel nuts. It's weird and seems peculiar but a lot of comments seem to suggest it's something that's worked, my pad was definitely shit when I put the ps4 on and now it isn't but it's always a bit mixed anyway. @Eenuh if you've still got the old one could be worth a try too. No idea why it should or does work(blowing into sticks suggested also) but apparently it does. My broken stick might actually be my right one now I've held the pad and tried it though.

• Thanks 1

I've heard that you need to click each stick alternately, to the tempo of All Saints Never Ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2018 at 11:56 AM, Rummy said:

@Ashley I realise this may seem mad but a lot of info I'm finding is suggesting a series of 20-30 clicks on the stick. In natural, then up then down then left then right(30 in each before next). Don't think the order matters but just go opposite direction after first then other two directions kinda like you would with wheel nuts. It's weird and seems peculiar but a lot of comments seem to suggest it's something that's worked, my pad was definitely shit when I put the ps4 on and now it isn't but it's always a bit mixed anyway. @Eenuh if you've still got the old one could be worth a try too. No idea why it should or does work(blowing into sticks suggested also) but apparently it does. My broken stick might actually be my right one now I've held the pad and tried it though.

I'll ehhh, see if I can try that at some point. Sounds a bit weird. :p

I think my broken one is the right stick as well, as my characters/camera kept turning by themselves in Overwatch. Made playing the game quite frustrating at times haha.

I know it sounds weird, but there's YouTube videos! And comments to support it! And I did actually do it to my bad pad which was pulling right off the bat - admittedly I've been super busy and not played much but I didn't notice it causing problems during a few OW matches!

8 hours ago, Rummy said:

I know it sounds weird, but there's YouTube videos! And comments to support it! And I did actually do it to my bad pad which was pulling right off the bat - admittedly I've been super busy and not played much but I didn't notice it causing problems during a few OW matches!

Have you got a link to one of these videos? Tempted to try it out later! :)

On 05/05/2018 at 10:41 AM, Eenuh said:

Have you got a link to one of these videos? Tempted to try it out later! :)

(Wrote this yesterday but it didn't post, one good thing about the forum saving posts!)

I was very skeptical but I did try to sort the comments by recency and there's quite a lot actually supporting it even recently. A few other videos suggested blowing air into then as well(like with a can but ofc I just blew into it myself) and some others suggest trying to lube/clean it slightly with liquids even water(I didn't risk that) but it seems to have been ok since for me, though I also haven't played as much ps4 as I usually would this week so still gonna see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Rummy said:

(Wrote this yesterday but it didn't post, one good thing about the forum saving posts!)

I was very skeptical but I did try to sort the comments by recency and there's quite a lot actually supporting it even recently. A few other videos suggested blowing air into then as well(like with a can but ofc I just blew into it myself) and some others suggest trying to lube/clean it slightly with liquids even water(I didn't risk that) but it seems to have been ok since for me, though I also haven't played as much ps4 as I usually would this week so still gonna see how it goes.

Thank you, might try that tonight or whenever I find the time!

Currently having another issue though, specifically with Overwatch. With every patch/update that came out, it would make my game crash and my PS4 freeze. Reinstalling the game usually solved it. However with the last patch, that hasn't worked! Reinstalled it three times, still crashes. Did a rebuild of the database, still crashes. :(

I contacted Blizzard's support team and they were really unhelpful (saying they don't really support console much, and then linked me to an article about network connection issues!). So now I'm trying to figure out what to do so I can play Overwatch again. :(

Just tried the demo for Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.

Controls are a little awkward, but once I got used to them the game sucked me in with the tactical stealth gameplay. The perfect genre for me.
It's currently on sale for 12.50€ (down from 50€) in the PSN store. Guess I'll buy it now :D