NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

In this game or just in general? :D 

That depends on the definition of "to wreck s.o." we're talking about here.

Let's just say in Super Bomberman R :p I mean, we all know that I'm much better at video games than you so it's just a matter of how much I'm going to wreck you.

• Haha 1

A PS5 in 2020 seems logical, any earlier i'd think they are being silly.  There's plenty of life left in the current PS4.

I'm more than happy with my PS4 now. A couple more years would be nice.

There does not seem to be anything stopping the PS4 save for the next gen. Expect it to last a while yet. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 8:24 AM, drahkon said:

I'm in the mood for an MMORPG and if this is up my alley I can see myself playing this for a couple of hours every week.

Nevermind. Tera is pretty good, though. Needs some improvements in the frame rate department but it's actually quite fun.

I just don't have the "gaming endurance" to play an MMORPG. Heck, I've even stopped playing The Witcher 3 again...

Edited by drahkon

Yeah, I don’t think we’ll be getting the PS5 for a while yet, simply because of how much Guerrilla and Bluepoint managed to squeeze out of the PS4 with Horizon Zero Dawn and Shadow of the Colossus, respectively. 

I’m actually not too sure about 2020 as a release year for PS5, though.

If the PS4 loses sales momentum and drops off for a while, then putting the PS5 out around then would seem a good idea, and it depends almost entirely on if the consumer base wants - and is ready for - the next and new PlayStation Console. 

However, if the PS4 continues to sell well, and more and more developers continue to squeeze out what they can from the base model - and then the Pro - I think we could end up actually waiting until the 2021-2023 window for a PS5 release, as console life cycles should, theoretically, only be getting longer from a technological standpoint (not accounting for consumer interest).

This is because the visual fidelity of games is already nearing a threshold, and the reason why we’ve been seeing diminishing returns from the visuals of games is because there’s a limit to what the human eye can detect, and also because the observation that the number of of transistors in an integrated circuits doubles over a relatively short period of time (1-2 years; i.e. Moore’s Law) has already been seeing diminishing processing returns since the early 2000s (see below).

1*6LnU6bI2yq9A9tmzxHAV2g.png

As the video game industry has been effectively catching up to modern technologies since its inception, and with the end of Moore’s Law nearing (i.e. the point at which we can no longer produce smaller transistors), as well as video game developers having effectively caught up to produce optimal visual results from current systems (be that console or PC), the introduction of new and faster processors with future systems won’t have as much of an impact as it might have before, which means that the industry will have to look elsewhere to continue getting the most out of the modern system.

I think this is very likely to be related to more sophisticated AI integration into video gaming (for more efficient asset creation, game rendering, etc.), but, as it takes exponentially longer to produce a sophisticated AI for a video game than it would to simply slip in a new processor, I can see that pushing the next console generation back a fair bit if we are to see more technological leaps made within the industry in the next decade or so with the next set of consoles. 

We’ll just have to wait and see. We’re at a bit of a tipping point in terms of technological evolution in general, so I think it will definitely be interesting to see which direction PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo — and any other potential console manufacturer — takes next.

• Thanks 1

Had forgot this was getting a sequel and that it was coming out so soon.

Picked it up last night on the store through digital pre-order and happy I did as they're charging £19.99 for it from today when it was £12.79 for pre-order with a 20% discount (was supposed to be £15.99). Not sure why it's been increased in price but I have noticed that digital games seem to be getting released at a higher price on the PS4 regularly compared to PC and Xbox One.

Still, looking forward to playing it as I enjoyed the first one and I'm in the mood for a puzzle game.

Also interested in trying out The Council, a new episodic game but waiting to see more reviews for it as it does look interesting but I've been bitten before with episodic games namely Blues and Bullets (which is a shame as that was turning out to be interesting).

Now I have Burnout Paradise, I've subscribed to PS+, so add Cube1701 if you don't already have me as I can play online now for the first time on PS4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is a PS4 Pro worth it even without a 4k TV?

There's a trade in offer with Gamestop in Germany. Trade in a standard PS4 (+ controller and three games) and you can buy a Pro for 99.99€.

I'm tempted. Anybody here with a PS4 Pro who doesn't own a 4k TV? What perks does the PS4 Pro offer?

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

There's a trade in offer with Gamestop in Germany. Trade in a standard PS4 (+ controller and three games) and you can buy a Pro for 99.99€.

I'm tempted. Anybody here with a PS4 Pro who doesn't own a 4k TV? What perks does the PS4 Pro offer?

Don’t own a Pro or a 4K TV, but I’ve got a friend who has one, and I’ve done a quick look around as to what benefits the Pro has vs. the standard models on a HD TV. Here’s what I found:

• frame rates will be much more solid all around. 

• visible graphical improvements over the basic models.

• the new network adapter will mean that you will be able to download games/etc. relatively faster.

• the SATAIII means that games/apps will load relatively faster.

• super-sampling for PSVR.

Overall, it seems like small but noticeable improvements all around, and it seems like an upgrade that would be worth it if you play the PS4 quite a lot, especially if you do plan to upgrade to a 4K TV at some point.

• Thanks 1

That sounds like a very good deal, depending on what the games are that you must trade in. PS4 pro downscales a 4k resolution or something like that for 1080p sets and the results are supposed to be very good. There are also a lot of games that run at higher than normal framerates as a result of the Pro upgrade that you will still benefit from.

You'll also be getting a new system with a new warranty, and a new controller too. There are some other perks too like 1080p60 streaming. I did an upgrade a while back and haven't looked back. Mind you, I've got a 4K OLED, but I reckon you'd still very much appreciate the upgrade.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys :)

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

That sounds like a very good deal, depending on what the games are that you must trade in.

You can trade in pretty much any games (except really old ones). I plan on trading in Ratchet and Clank, Bloodborne and MGSV since they're all available on PS+ anyway :D

Think I'll visit the local Gamestop store tomorrow and hope they still have consoles available (you have to put in a reservation for one and they only allow 50 per store, I hope I'm not too late).

Thanks guys
You can trade in pretty much any games (except really old ones). I plan on trading in Ratchet and Clank, Bloodborne and MGSV since they're all available on PS+ anyway
Think I'll visit the local Gamestop store tomorrow and hope they still have consoles available (you have to put in a reservation for one and they only allow 50 per store, I hope I'm not too late).
Yeah in that case it's a stupidly good deal. Trade them in and then just download them on Plus.

It looks like the PS4 will be going on for a while yet, so if the opportunity is there to go ahead and upgrade to a Pro, then it's probably a good idea to go for it.

• Thanks 1

Ordered a PS4 Pro with that trade in deal :peace: Will pick it up in two weeks. Can't wait :D

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Ordered a PS4 Pro with that trade in deal :peace: Will pick it up in two weeks. Can't wait :D

Please don't tempt me to do the same. :D

Out of curiosity, how long do we think the PS4 will keep going for? It's been going for nearly 5 years. 

18 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Please don't tempt me to do the same. :D

ezgif-4-5da3a5dd70.gif

DO IT! :p

Out of curiosity, how long do we think the PS4 will keep going for? It's been going for nearly 5 years. 

At least 2 more years.

2018 is already packed and has God of War, Detroid: Become Human, Red Dead Redemption 2 and more on its way.
And we may see some new big titles for 2019 during E3 and Playstation Experience this year.

Edit:

Yeah...there's enough for 2 years :D

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Honestly, I’m not too sure. We could see them come out at E3 next year with the PS5, but adversely, we could be a while off yet.

I don’t want to bring up too many of the points that I made above with regards to the longer system life cycles at the risk of sounding like a broken record, but I do think that the PS4 Pro - and how it’s allowed games such as Horizon Zero Dawn and Shadow of the Colossus to be shown off, and how developers seem to only be getting more and more out of this generation’s tech (see my above comment for a bit more on this) - is evidence that we could see the base model PS4 slowly phased out, akin to how the New 3DS/2DS line slowly replaced the base model 3DS/2DS line. 

My opinion is that we won’t hear anything about the PS5 until 2020 — at the earliest. 

A few reasons for this, one being that we’ve still got games like Death Stranding, The Last Of Us Part II, Final Fantasy VII Remake, etc., planned for release on the console, which seem a pretty long way off. Some might argue that they could go cross-generation release, and they might, but I think that the planned releases for the PS4 imply that we’re in for the long haul with this console. Another reason is the sales figures of the console last year. Typically, consoles have had their best sales years in their second or third calendar year on sale, before declining after that peak; yet, the PS4 only seems to be on an upward trend, with last year - their fourth calendar year - bringing in their highest sales, in terms of volume, since the console was launched. 

I genuinely don’t think that PlayStation are in any rush to get to the PS5, so, while they might have begun to research the hardware side of their next console, I don’t think that they’re going push out the next system until the marketplace changes significantly enough to warrant it, whether that be from Xbox announcing their next console - which would force their hand a bit, as PlayStation owners would then begin looking ahead to the PS5 - or the PS4 suddenly declining rapidly in sales - which seems extremely unlikely.

Another reason is that not everyone has a 4K TV yet, but, as they become more popular over the next year or two - with the Pro likely to drop quite noticeably in price over that same period - I think we’ll see a lot of owners of the base or Slim PS4 model make the move to the Pro, which would give Sony more of a reason to push developers to squeeze everything out of the console that they can.  

Well...I might not be able to take advantage of the trade in offer...

I'm using a 2TB HDD for my PS4. The old (original) 500GB HDD apparently doesn't work anymore...I was using it as an external HDD but haven't used it in ages. Tried plugging it into my PC, my laptop and the PS4 but it doesn't work. For a few seconds a weird sound is coming from the HDD as soon as I connect it. :blank: I even switched it with the 2TB HDD...as soon as I start the PS4: the same weird sound.

When it's connected to my PC it shows up in "Devices and Printers" as "Expansion" but I can't access it...

The guy at Gamestop said the original HDD should be the one in the PS4 when I trade it in...I thought it would work but...looks like no PS4 Pro for me :(

• Sad 2

On windows 8/10. Right click on 'This PC' in explorer and click on 'Manage'.

You should handle more advanced settings for the drive if there are oddball issues. 

On a Mac just use disk utility.

Edited by Choze

5 minutes ago, Choze said:

On windows 8/10. Right click on 'This PC' in explorer and click on 'Manage'.

You should handle more advanced settings for the drive if there are oddball issues.

I spent the last 2 hours troubleshooting via various means. It looks like the HDD itself is broken. ::shrug:

• Like 1

What a humorless employee. How hard could it be to play dumb on the HDD being 4 times larger and just allowing some lucky kid to get a happy bonus later on when they pick up an original model. 

16 minutes ago, Nolan said:

What a humorless employee. How hard could it be to play dumb on the HDD being 4 times larger and just allowing some lucky kid to get a happy bonus later on when they pick up an original model. 

Yeah...no idea.

I asked a mate if he still has the original 500GB HDD in his PS4. If he's willing to give me his in exchange for my 2TB HDD everything would work out just fine. Even if Gamestop decided to go with my 2TB HDD I'd rather give it to a mate...

I guess they're worried that a console with a HDD other than the one it came with could be HACKED.