NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

7 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

Myself and @Mike1988uk are currently on a PS4 splurge and finally completing Resident Evil 5 platinum that we started this time last year :heh: (my fault due to getting a second job which took all my time...) We've been discussing the PS4 Pro. 

Both of us got 4k TV's last year so we're all set if we did get one, but just wondering if anyone on here did the upgrade and if you thought it was worth it? 

Reviews just seem to say that it's a decent if not a must have upgrade, but the additional memory would be welcomed and there are some pretty solid deals around now that would interest us. 

Anyone buy one and regret it?! 

Quite the opposite. Games look noticeably better and everything performs more efficiently. Personally I pick the options that boost performance most but 4k games are damn pretty. Even my girlfriend who doesn't care much for tech is impressed and can see the difference. 

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone but it you already have a 4k tv and spot a deal that wont ruin your savings then I say go for it. I think expansive 3d games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and the future monster hunter will really benefit from it. 

• Like 1

Your PS4 Trophies Will Now Sync Lightning Fast

900x.jpg

Trophy syncing on the PlayStation 4 has always been pretty fast – especially compared to the PlayStation 3, where we’d honestly often go and make a cup of tea while it did its work – but Sony’s improved it overnight. We’ve just tested it out, and rather than the five to ten second delay that it used to take to sync, your gongs will now be uploaded to the Japanese giant’s servers in a second or less.
In the grand scheme of things, this isn’t a particularly meaningful update, but it’s honestly nice to see the platform holder recognise an area that could be improved – and actually, y’know, enhance it. Are there any other little niggles like this that you reckon the manufacturer could refine? Nitpick in the comments section below.

If only they made it automatic now. But this is a step in the right direction.
  • Like 1

It is kinda strange that while you're online, trophies can't just sync instantly. It's just a few bytes of data. But then, there's always been something clunky about their online architecture. I imagine it's a nightmare to work on inhouse where nobody dares suggest any modern improvements for fear of being thrown through the window, business suggestion meme guy style.

• Like 6

One small step :p

As everyone already said: Needs to be automatic now.

Yeah. I mean correct me if I'm wrong but haven't Achievements been syncing automatically for like a decade now?

• Like 1

Not even once been anything enough of an issue to bother me but I share the sentiments on still paying attention to the little features even if they don't see big anymore.

I'd wonder if there's some clumsy fundamentals in that system that are hard to overturn as they've been built upon? As others have said I can't see any reason for it to even still be an issue now, or a fix be such a deal, for something that surely seems so simple?

I did read somewhere that it is a problem with the PS4s architecture, which is a carry over from the PS3, which means it's harder to fix than you'd think.

But....I don't see how? Just have it sync automatically every 10 minutes or something?

Does this mean that if you click your trophies it will take a second to sync them for a particular game? Or will it automatically sync trophies within 1 second for any that are earned from now? If it's the latter then it will seem instant, since it takes at least a second to go to the section where you view your trophies anyway.

Does this mean that if you click your trophies it will take a second to sync them for a particular game? Or will it automatically sync trophies within 1 second for any that are earned from now? If it's the latter then it will seem instant, since it takes at least a second to go to the section where you view your trophies anyway.

I think it means that when you navigate to the trophies page, that progress bar at the top will now take less time to move. It used to take several seconds.

Good update for me. It was quite annoying how you'd navigate to the trophy section and then have to wait a few seconds for it to sync.

1 hour ago, bob said:

I did read somewhere that it is a problem with the PS4s architecture, which is a carry over from the PS3, which means it's harder to fix than you'd think.

But....I don't see how? Just have it sync automatically every 10 minutes or something?

Well it depends on the system. I've only done rudimentary stuff for personal or low-level work but I'm sure we've got enough nerds here to tell you about the gaps you end up plugging ina system that evolves. I don't imagine the ps3's original infrastructure or design was built future proof to last til now, or many of the iterations along the way, so you keep building on potentially bad foundations until you're too large to do anything about instead of doing the overhaul you need.

Even having said that - I still rather agreed with yourself. I would have to wonder just how poorly things were built on the PS3 to cause such an issue now, and tbh if it'd cause some small issues with a trophies surely it'd have bigger issues worth an overhaul? Even a band-aid fix on top such as a X-minutes sync you suggest should surely be possible.

I do kinda look forward to the days when we'll have the answers/understanding for some of these things or how the tech was designed!

• Like 1

I've always found the trophy system bizarre too, especially as the 360 was my first step into non-Nintendo Land so I got used to trophies syncing up straight away. 

Has any one been getting in on the deals this week? I finally took the plunge and got the £9.99 Rocket League deal which comes with a bunch of DLC.

Warframe got a hefty update!

Edited by Choze

On 01/07/2017 at 11:15 AM, Josh64 said:

whats everyone's opinion on No Mans Sky? I've always been interested in it, I know it got a lot of backlash, was that justified? Or was it more to do with overhyping it and getting disappointed?

For a big release, I've never seen a more shallow game. It was so disappointing to realise that a couple of hours in I'd seen everything the game had to offer. Everything else was just a procedurally generated mix of what I'd seen before.

I think it's a terrible, terrible game, but an interesting experience, for a few hours. Deserves all the hate it's gotten IMO

• Like 1

Anyone who has Amazon Prime can get a 15 month subscription from Amazon for £29.99 for 24 hours.

• Like 1

I do hate that when a download fails it doesn't attempt to resume on the PS4. I'm sure it's my crappy internet causing the failures but it's so annoying when you leave games downloading overnight and then wake up to see they only managed 2 gigs. I want to get this Destiny 2 beta downloaded ready for next week and that's hours of download time wasted!

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I do hate that when a download fails it doesn't attempt to resume on the PS4. I'm sure it's my crappy internet causing the failures but it's so annoying when you leave games downloading overnight and then wake up to see they only managed 2 gigs. I want to get this Destiny 2 beta downloaded ready for next week and that's hours of download time wasted!

Is your connection wireless or via an Ethernet cable? And have you tried changing your DNS?

Wireless. I'm not complaining about the connection though, I already know the issues with that. I'm just complaining about the lack of resuming.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Wireless. I'm not complaining about the connection though, I already know the issues with that. I'm just complaining about the lack of resuming.

Yeah, I do feel like further download attempts should be automated after the initial download attempt, so I absolutely agree. Whilst connected to the Internet it should just run through the download queue until it's complete, in all honesty.

I've got an pretty quick Internet connection, so when I put Overwatch in and it required an update, I thought this shouldn't take long.

But then it spent about 20 minutes 'preparing for update'. What does that even mean? The actual download only took 5 minutes!

If your download failed and then automatically restarted, could it potentially be stuck in an endless loop of download started - download failed, etc?

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

If your download failed and then automatically restarted, could it potentially be stuck in an endless loop of download started - download failed, etc?

No it just failed and then never resumed. I had to resume it manually when I woke up which meant I lost hours of download time.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

No it just failed and then never resumed. I had to resume it manually when I woke up which meant I lost hours of download time.

That's annoying. There should be an option to 'restart downloads automatically', would be quite useful. I'd use it.

18 minutes ago, Magnus said:

Brilliant, thanks for letting me know! Both for <£7, worth the wait - a 76% saving on The Witness, can't argue with that.