NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

I borrowed the original early on in the PS3 cycle but didn't persevere with it, which was probably a mistake.

Infinite's opening was terrific, but the overall game felt unfinished, or at least unrealised. The world completely died whenever you cleared out an area - it felt like you were running through an abandoned theme park at points, but not in a cool fairy tale kind of way, more of an empty, redundant map kind of way. Compare to the original, whose claustrophobia fostered urgency.

I borrowed the original early on in the PS3 cycle but didn't persevere with it, which was probably a mistake.

Infinite's opening was terrific, but the overall game felt unfinished, or at least unrealised. The world completely died whenever you cleared out an area - it felt like you were running through an abandoned theme park at points, but not in a cool fairy tale kind of way, more of an empty, redundant map kind of way. Compare to the original, whose claustrophobia fostered urgency.

I agree with the theme park analogy, but I still love it despite its flaws. I didn't get the impression that it was unfinished and found the whole experience quite satisfying. However, like a lot of other games, there are definitely tons of areas where it could have been more fleshed out.

It's not as claustrophobic as the first two games, but I did appreciate how (slightly) more open Infinite felt. I didn't necessarily need the world to feel more alive or full, as it's still quite a linear game, but it's just a nice change of pace to the first two.

I loved Infinite, the setting, plot and acting/NPC interaction were top notch. I loved it so much I bought an expensive limited edition poster to remind me of it.

But objectively, the original did something special with the atmosphere and story that Infinite did not completely recapture.

I loved Infinite, the setting, plot and acting/NPC interaction were top notch. I loved it so much I bought an expensive limited edition poster to remind me of it.

But objectively, the original did something special with the atmosphere and story that Infinite did not completely recapture.

I'm not sure if objectively is the right word there because I thought that the story, characters and dialogue were much better in Infinite than in both the previous two games. But, I also appreciate BioShock's story for its shock factor and the world in which it creates. The world and atmosphere are both grim, in the best possible sense of the word. It lays down the foundations and writes the rulebook for the rest of the series.

Also, I don't think Infinite was/is necessarily trying to recapture the same sort of feelings and atmosphere that you'd get in the original BioShock game. That's very much reflected in its art style, characters and dialogue. It's a different story, but told in the same overarching universe. It's not a straight-up sequel in the same way that 2 was. It's a great trilogy, with each game being memorable and having some form of impact on the gamer playing it, with Infinite being my personal favourite of the lot. However, it would not have been possible without the first game laying the groundwork. In a sense, a sequel is always going to be at a disadvantage in that regard.

I feel like they probably spent a long time in development on Infinite trying to prove concepts early on, which meant they had some really cool stuff running in the opening but had to rush the rest. So the start they've got the festival and pageants and interactive stuff (you know - world-building), and then the rest is just a string of maps to clear out because they don't know what to do with you once they give you a gun.

Edited by dwarf

I feel like they probably spent a long time in development on Infinite trying to prove concepts early on, which meant they had some really cool stuff running in the opening but had to rush the rest. So the start they've got the festival and pageants and interactive stuff (you know - world-building), and then the rest is just a string of maps to clear out because they don't know what to do with you once they give you a gun.

Yeah, I see what you're saying there. I've often heard people say in the past that BioShock doesn't really need to be an FPS. I guess it's one of those things where the developers/creators have a great idea for a story and world first and then they think about how to attach that to a game afterwards. I definitely got that sense with BioShock, on occasions. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that mindset, it just means that perhaps concepts and ideas won't ever get as fleshed out as they should, as you say.

In other news, I'm playing Mortal Kombat XL and am having a fucking really good time with it. It's making me hyped up for the new Injustice game!

Objectively the original reimagined System Shock 2 from Space Sci-fi to underwater sci-fi. Right down to some of the plot twists.

Ultimatly, i prefer Infinite over the 2nd Bioshock. But the original holds a place dear to my gaming heart. The atmosphere of the 1st is just unreal, yes it does make you think and does make you feel a bit uncomfortable. But that's the brilliance of it.

Infinite tries to recapture what made the 1st brilliant, and i loved the setting. Compared to the 1st, there was only 1 jumpy moment for me

When you head up into Comstock House, and you turn around to see a Boy of Silence right behind you.

But otherwise, it wasn't a bad game. Few tricky moments, but i enjoyed it.

I did get Sophie to play a bit of the original Bioshock the other week, specifically this part

When you get the Speedy Hacker tonic, and the Dentist is standing right behind you.

Yep, profanities were spoken from her.

Just played through What Remains of Edith Finch and what an absolute joy it was, just utterly beautiful story telling.

I was dubious about spending £16 for 2-3hrs worth of game but considering I'll often spend more than that on a takeaway I thought why not and I'm sure glad I did. Despite the brevity of the game some of the family members' stories will stay with me for a while, some were also done in such an inventive way and I really loved the level design of the family home.

I did miss a couple of trophies and those were early game ones, largely before I fully figured out what was going on but I can easily return to those as a chapter replay becomes available on completion, not that you really need it given the games length. I could easily see me wanting to go through this again at some point down the line anyway.

Because of @drahkon's glowing review I bought Steinsgate on the Easter sale for ps3 and plan on running down to Gamestop tomorrow and pick the sequel with a gift card. Only played the first chapter so far but it's looking good.

Did you play more/finish it?

I just got the Platinum and it was worth every penny. If I could afford it I'd buy the sequel now but sadly I have to wait until it's on sale for a tenner...

Edit: Shit...I'll put my sig (trophy card) in spoilers as there is an image that could spoil something...hope you haven't seen it, yet.

Edited by drahkon

Amazing! I always wanted to try the Mega CD game. There is a limited physical release being done that has a box like the Mega/Sega CD.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Night Trap! :bowdown:

Of all the games absolutely no one asked for to be re-released, I'm genuinely amazed this is getting a 25th anniversary version. :p

I own the original game as well... ;)

For what it's worth, that HD video makes it worth while, at least you can see what's going on now. :heh:

I'm... considering getting the physical limited edition release of this now... :blank:

Did you play more/finish it?

I just got the Platinum and it was worth every penny. If I could afford it I'd buy the sequel now but sadly I have to wait until it's on sale for a tenner...

Edit: Shit...I'll put my sig (trophy card) in spoilers as there is an image that could spoil something...hope you haven't seen it, yet.

Not yet, but making progress. Early/mid chapter 5 so far. Was only going to play for a couple of hours today but it ended up being twice that as the plot really started going somewhere. Not sure if I reached day 14/8 yet, may still be the 13th. Really like it so far. Although I think the game kinda dragged on at times in the beginning, I understand it was probably to really develop the characters, and it's good because I think they are great. Christina is easily my favourite, but generally it's a good interesting cast.

I thought it was the sequel you were playing btw :p

Really like it so far. Although I think the game kinda dragged on at times in the beginning, I understand it was probably to really develop the characters, and it's good because I think they are great.

It's to develop the characters but I also read somewhere that the game's making fun of the usual anime tropes by constantly throwing them into our faces and exaggerating them a little. It does drag at times.

Just played through What Remains of Edith Finch and what an absolute joy it was, just utterly beautiful story telling.

I was dubious about spending £16 for 2-3hrs worth of game but considering I'll often spend more than that on a takeaway I thought why not and I'm sure glad I did. Despite the brevity of the game some of the family members' stories will stay with me for a while, some were also done in such an inventive way and I really loved the level design of the family home.

I did miss a couple of trophies and those were early game ones, largely before I fully figured out what was going on but I can easily return to those as a chapter replay becomes available on completion, not that you really need it given the games length. I could easily see me wanting to go through this again at some point down the line anyway.

Played and finished this yesterday myself in a single sitting clocking in under 3 hours. Had it pre-ordered from when they were offering it with 20% discount and had forgotten about it till a couple of days ago but was excited to finally sit down with it and see what the game offered after waiting so long for it. And like yourself, I loved it. The story telling is done so well, with some areas a bit better than others (the part surrounding Lewis was superbly done I thought and really hit an emotional note with how it all ended, probably my favourite bit of the narrative), and it was really engrossing as you walked round this house uncovering the history of the family.

It had that feel of Gone Home about it and I've seen a lot of parallels drawn between the two but of them, I think I prefer What Remains of Edith Finch. The whole mystery and unknown aspect of the family history, the history of the house, the individual stories of tragedy and the way they're put together in some truly evocative ways took that step up above that game I thought.

Easily one of most memorable games I've played this year and some of it will linger long with me for some time. It might seem like a steep asking price but I'd say the game is worth a go for the experience alone. For me, it now joins the likes of Firewatch and Virginia as one of my favourite narrative experiences and is a strong follow up to The Unfinished Swan. Can't wait to see what they do next.

Wow, seeing the HD video feed on Night Trap you can really appreciate the gratuitous camel toe on display! That's 1992 for you!

Edited by Cookyman

Sony financials have been released. 60 million PS4s now shipped and 2.9 million were sold in the last quarter. I wonder if it will ever reach 100 million?

I suspect once it gets a significant price drop it will. Their previous consoles got a 'second life' once the price drop kicked in.

Sony financials have been released. 60 million PS4s now shipped and 2.9 million were sold in the last quarter. I wonder if it will ever reach 100 million?

It's a given. 70 million soon before all competitor consoles have even launched. Bigger question is 150 million?

Amazing! I always wanted to try the Mega CD game. There is a limited physical release being done that has a box like the Mega/Sega CD.

Whut da fawk?!

I always wanted Night Trap, too. The whole concept just seemed interesting and a bit strange. Somehow, I just never got around to it.

This is the most bizarre gaming announcement of the year so far, for me.

Any fans of Settlers here? A new game called Valhalla Hills released yesterday and is basically The Settlers: Viking edition. It plays pretty much like the old ones I remember, just prettier. You play on a random, hilly island, and is essentially tasked with creating a supply chain that can support the soldiers needed to defeat the guardins of the portal at the top of the hill, so you can progress to the next island, eventually giving the vikings enough honour through fighting and building so they can reach Valhalla. It's a lot of fun. And it plays well with a controller, just like Tropico and Grand Ages, but you can get it on Steam too if you prefer that.

18157158_10210942884381797_1019237601379242703_n.jpg?oh=a6a510c6e4a93d7be0d83f9067271a13&oe=5974377F

18119473_10210942893062014_6012463621461016632_n.jpg?oh=4b6554a29e4aa5f22921c805e7fd45ed&oe=5975162B

18194740_10210942895502075_1980587516715463046_n.jpg?oh=4a262ac74de3501e2e1c0e6a65bb1bb2&oe=5978C728

18198253_10210942899142166_4148125563187502437_n.jpg?oh=59a72ce76e9442b95f2b70912deb792d&oe=59C04853

18157319_10210942903622278_1843827990040936686_n.jpg?oh=662c27fa069fb5f3430273a81bc3075a&oe=59BCB305

18157641_10210942904982312_125618789620270477_n.jpg?oh=cbba770ff9ac9a82a3c52c5dd308e3b9&oe=597E4F5C

As it hasn't been shared here, here is a short intro to upcoming game 'Hob'. Could be a special gem