NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

This is what I expected to be honest, even higher though. I don't think the PS4 pro is that worthy an upgrade; but if you're jumping into PS4 then it's a no brainier to get the pro.

I mainly got one for the increased PSVR resolution and for when I eventually get a 4K TV. And my mother also wanted my old PS4, after five years she;s finally tiring of playing Animal Crossing (Wii) everyday.

Also:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/03/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-features-detailed/

External HDD Support

Upto 8tb

Custom Wallpapers

Quick Menu Refresh

Simplified Notification List

Post on PlayStation Network Activity Feeds

3D Blu-rays on PlayStation VR

I mainly got one for the increased PSVR resolution and for when I eventually get a 4K TV. And my mother also wanted my old PS4, after five years she;s finally tiring of playing Animal Crossing (Wii) everyday.

Also:

Get her Stardew Valley! Just sunk my 100th hour into that.

Yeah I'm going to. I've sunk about 60 hours into it already. Great title. She'll love it!

She'll keep the Wii for Dr. Mario but there are more than enough puzzlers on the PS4 for her to play. And she really missed a working BBC iPlayer/Netflix, etc.

Really looking forward to one feature in the 4.50 firmware update:

Now the Quick Menu will cover even less of your gameplay screen, and you’ll be able to access handy Party features via Online Friends, like creating new parties, inviting friends, and joining parties, without transitioning to the separate Party app.

I mean, that transition (i.e. switching to the party app and creating a party) takes 30 seconds right now, but with the ability to do all that in the quick menu it will be even faster. : peace: Love it.

I keep seeing your achieved trophies in the "What's New" section and wondered how much you've played...now I know and now I'm not surprised anymore :D

Edited by drahkon

I had no idea PS4 didn't have external HDD support until now! I guess they wanted people who wanted more to upgrade to the 1TB model.

More likely they wanted to try and prevent piracy and exploits by keeping an entry-point closed. The drive inside it is a very standard 2.5" laptop drive with ordinary sata connectors. You can slot a replacement 2TB drive in yourself, or even have an extension cable coming out the back and connect any HDD at all.

If they wanted to make people pay to upgrade, they would've used something proprietary.

More likely they wanted to try and prevent piracy and exploits by keeping an entry-point closed. The drive inside it is a very standard 2.5" laptop drive with ordinary sata connectors. You can slot a replacement 2TB drive in yourself, or even have an extension cable coming out the back and connect any HDD at all.

If they wanted to make people pay to upgrade, they would've used something proprietary.

Plus Sony actively explained how the hard drive was expandable and made sure that if you do switch out the hard drive then it doesnt void the warranty.

Yeah I expanded my original PS4's hard drive to 2Tb. Had no need for external HDD support.

Who was it on here that had two PS4's and managed to somehow play the same games on both consoles? Something to do with accounts?

Who was it on here that had two PS4's and managed to somehow play the same games on both consoles? Something to do with accounts?

That would be @Eenuh and @Fierce_LiNk

I think @Daft does it too as he has about five PS4s

Yup, the rumours are true. It is me and Eenuh who do this!

We've played Star Wars Battlefront on both of our PS4s but with only one of us buying the game. It's a pretty simple process to be able to do it and there's also tons of videos on Youtube to show you how to do it.

Just going to point out that this has to be a digital version of a game. So, if you own a disc based game, you can only play that on one PS4 at a time. You need to have a digital version and the game needs to be (obviously) installed onto both PS4s.

Yeah that's us!

I made a post about this before to explain it, in case you want to know! :)

Click here for post

Had to initialize my PS4 because I kept getting an error while playing games making them crash. :blank:

Need to re-download my games now :( Gonna take a while. At least The Witness, Stardew Valley and the patch for Dishonored 2 are downloaded. Now to wait for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered :D

The initialization seemed to fix the problem. Haven't encountered the error in 3 hours of playing. : peace:

This was the first major issue with my PS4 since I bought it 3 years ago.

You're late. See the second post of this page :p

I have the beta version of update 4.50 installed. You can now upload/download save data from the main screen. Just select a game, press "options" and the function is right there. No need to go to the settings. : peace:

Didn't get the chance, yet, to try out the new party chat function from the quick menu.

The notification screen is indeed simpler now. No more sections (i.e. Downloads, Uploads, Notifications, Invitaions, Messages, etc). Just one list. Not sure if I like that but it's not a big deal.

I have not tested the firmware extensively but am using Boost and the external hdd feature.

It seems various system critical files are locked to the main internal drive including Share feature files etc. Games can be transferred back and forth which is awesome. I have moved lesser played games to the external and am installing a lot more games now. Stuff i don't play much or like to have are on the external. The process of copying was also pretty fast(faster than restore for a new drive!).

Not sure which games to test boost mode but i reinstalled BF4 which could be good to see if its 60 fps even more consistently.

I signed up for the beta but didn't get an invite to download, disappointed really as I would like those custom wallpapers.

I've been on the Beta for a few days now. Not managed to try Boost mode yet. Might test Dark Souls III tonight.

Speaking of hard drives has anybody tried the back-up/restore option that seems to exist now? I understand the old method involved clouding saves and re-downloading all your data etc and that wasn't an option before - has anyone used the new(to me) option without any troubles?

(not a new beta feature, but I believe introduced with the most recent OS update possibly?)