NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

This is the one I bought...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SATA-Compatible-Internal-Drive/dp/B00I8O6OQ4?ie=UTF8&ref_=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

It's about £10 cheaper than when I bought it as well, easy to install, no problems, the hardest part was taking the drive bay cover off as it feels so bloody flimsy. :p

You've reminded me though, I should get a USB caddy so I can get some of the data off the old drive which I didn't back up - I got all my saves, it's just things like P.T which is no longer available - then I may choose to use the 500GB drive as extra space on my PC at a later date. :)

i was just going to ask about those drives

Does it beep? I've seen some posts online complain some seagate/Samsung drives have a weird beep which is related to not enough power supplies to the drive and/or power saving modes

I think most complain about the seagate 2tb external drive that they've canabalised

This is the one I bought...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SATA-Compatible-Internal-Drive/dp/B00I8O6OQ4?ie=UTF8&ref_=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

It's about £10 cheaper than when I bought it as well, easy to install, no problems, the hardest part was taking the drive bay cover off as it feels so bloody flimsy. :p

You've reminded me though, I should get a USB caddy so I can get some of the data off the old drive which I didn't back up - I got all my saves, it's just things like P.T which is no longer available - then I may choose to use the 500GB drive as extra space on my PC at a later date. :)

Does it beep? I've seen some posts online complain some seagate/Samsung drives have a weird beep which is related to not enough power supplies to the drive and/or power saving modes

I think most complain about the seagate 2tb external drive that they've canabalised

I bought a samsung 2TB without a case, but it's the same one as referenced above I believe. I does make a high pitched note every now and then, but I've read it's nothing to worry about. Doesn't happen too often anyway for me to be bothered by it.

I bought a samsung 2TB without a case, but it's the same one as referenced above I believe. I does make a high pitched note every now and then, but I've read it's nothing to worry about. Doesn't happen too often anyway for me to be bothered by it.

Mine made the beeping noise when I first installed it. I assume it still does but I must have just gotten used to it as I dont remember the last time I heard it.

Mine made the beeping noise when I first installed it. I assume it still does but I must have just gotten used to it as I dont remember the last time I heard it.

Yes but...

This...

I bought a samsung 2TB without a case, but it's the same one as referenced above I believe. It does make a high pitched note every now and then, but I've read it's nothing to worry about. Doesn't happen too often anyway for me to be bothered by it.

And this...

It's really not that bad and it only seems to happen in relation to power saving, there's no way that the PS4 wouldn't be have enough power to supply the drive I'm assuming, otherwise they wouldn't have made it easily upgradable, unless there's something I don't understand about these types of hard drive? ::shrug:I'm certainly not an expert at any rate, all I know is that any noise I have heard seems to be in relation to data loading or coming back to a game after leaving the machine idle for a while.

Definitely worth upgrading either way. :)

Yes but...

This...

I bought a samsung 2TB without a case, but it's the same one as referenced above I believe. It does make a high pitched note every now and then, but I've read it's nothing to worry about. Doesn't happen too often anyway for me to be bothered by it.

And this...

It's really not that bad and it only seems to happen in relation to power saving, there's no way that the PS4 wouldn't be have enough power to supply the drive I'm assuming, otherwise they wouldn't have made it easily upgradable, unless there's something I don't understand about these types of hard drive? ::shrug:I'm certainly not an expert at any rate, all I know is that any noise I have heard seems to be in relation to data loading or coming back to a game after leaving the machine idle for a while.

Definitely worth upgrading either way. :)

Ugh, ok guys, not sure if I've done a bad here.

I bought a 2TB hard drive to upgrade my PS4 with, which should be fine, as it's been recommended by various places. However, I got a 500GB external drive on a whim, so that I could back everything up. Unfortunately, it's one without an AC cable, it's just got the USB port (it's a Toshiba branded one btw.) Will the external HDD actually work? I have a horrible feeling that it won't...

I bought a 2TB hard drive to upgrade my PS4 with, which should be fine, as it's been recommended by various places. However, I got a 500GB external drive on a whim, so that I could back everything up. Unfortunately, it's one without an AC cable, it's just got the USB port (it's a Toshiba branded one btw.) Will the external HDD actually work? I have a horrible feeling that it won't...

It should work... I think?

I was going to possibly buy a USB caddy for my old PS4 hard drive so that I could move a couple of things back onto the machine at a later date, I don't see why this is any different from using a non-powered hard drive as a backup. : peace:

I was going to possibly buy a USB caddy for my old PS4 hard drive so that I could move a couple of things back onto the machine at a later date, I don't see why this is any different from using a non-powered hard drive as a backup. : peace:

Cheers for the help! :) I don't see why I wouln't either, just I'm a bit paranoid, haha. I'll get round to sorting it all on Saturday, when I have more time free.

The caddy sounds like a good idea, actually! I may have to follow suit once my PS4 upgrade is done!

Cheers for the help! :) I don't see why I wouln't either, just I'm a bit paranoid, haha. I'll get round to sorting it all on Saturday, when I have more time free.

The caddy sounds like a good idea, actually! I may have to follow suit once my PS4 upgrade is done!

The beeping thing doesn't happen often enough for it to be annoying/an issue. Doesn't happen all the time or anything. But we usually turn off the plug when we are not using our TV or PS4, so we would only notice it when playing (and even then it's rare).

The beeping thing doesn't happen often enough for it to be annoying/an issue. Doesn't happen all the time or anything. But we usually turn off the plug when we are not using our TV or PS4, so we would only notice it when playing (and even then it's rare).

Thanks guys

So i'm thinking of either

A 1TB SSHD -

+faster load times,

+doesn't beep

+cheaper

-Smaller size

I don't mind that because its taken me a year to fill it, so i could surely survive with a 1gb

OR

2TB Samsung

+Bigger

-more expensive

-could have a beep

The beep shouldn't worry me, it shouldn't bother me, but i've already had my PS4 repaired this year after it blew the PSU whilst downloading something in sleep mode over night, so i'm a little skittish about any possible 'problem' - that and i remember having to put a watch in a drawer when i could hear it ticking one night so i don't want to find out its something that will irritate me

Why the hell don't they have 2TB SSHD's out yet? i'd spend more and get one of them if it existed

Thanks guys

So i'm thinking of either

A 1TB SSHD -

+faster load times,

+doesn't beep

+cheaper

-Smaller size

I don't mind that because its taken me a year to fill it, so i could surely survive with a 1gb

OR

2TB Samsung

+Bigger

-more expensive

-could have a beep

The beep shouldn't worry me, it shouldn't bother me, but i've already had my PS4 repaired this year after it blew the PSU whilst downloading something in sleep mode over night, so i'm a little skittish about any possible 'problem' - that and i remember having to put a watch in a drawer when i could hear it ticking one night so i don't want to find out its something that will irritate me

Why the hell don't they have 2TB SSHD's out yet? i'd spend more and get one of them if it existed

Where are you finding a 1TB SSHD cheaper than a 2TB standard drive?

I've heard the beep a few times for over a year, it's not a worry.

Wait did I do the wrong acronym? Hybrid drive on amazon - they are both links

My mate also has the one SCG linked to and has had no noises at all, so I'm kind of torn now

Wait did I do the wrong acronym? Hybrid drive on amazon - they are both links

My mate also has the one SCG linked to and has had no noises at all, so I'm kind of torn now