NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

See I think that could be considered a genuine concern but I'm willing to bet with things like eSports growing like they are, multiplayer games would most likely have their fps locked.

I could see eSports just going with the newest consoles for tournaments etc.

But I see your point.

I could see eSports just going with the newest consoles for tournaments etc.

But I see your point.

Also with the GB article stating that Sony are giving developers strict guidelines for some of this stuff I think its very possible that fps parity for multiplayer could be one of them.

On the other hand though, this could just go back to my PC comparison. That doesnt have multiplayer parity at all for fps and works just fine.

Either way though this announcement doesnt bother me in the slightest. I will stick with my current PS4 and will be happy for the people who feel the need to upgrade because they've been given that option without taking anything away from my gaming experience.

I think that expectation needs to go. That's not how it works anymore...

Not saying I'm all for it, but it has become reality.

You're right it's not how it works any more, thanks exclusively to the PS4K.

Also with the GB article stating that Sony are giving developers strict guidelines for some of this stuff I think its very possible that fps parity for multiplayer could be one of them.

Ah, I forgot those guidelines. My short-term memory isn't up to speed today :D

My worries aren't as big now.

Either way though this announcement doesnt bother me in the slightest. I will stick with my current PS4 and will be happy for the people who feel the need to upgrade because they've been given that option without taking anything away from my gaming experience.

Exactly.

Haha. The salt is real.

I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the stupidest thing I've read on these forums...

The Wii U never properly got started, and yet they are already abandoning it for a new console. I wasted money on a console that won't be supported anymore once the new one comes out.

Speak for yourself, I've adored the likes of Pikmin, 3D World, Luidi U, Captain Toad, Mario Kart, Smash, Yoshi, Wonderful 101, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Bayonetta 2 etc. To me that has indeed 'got started'. They're abandoning it four years after release. Apparently console generations don't work like the usual any more and we shouldn't expect them to last 5+ years.

I bought my PS3 in 2011 and didn't expect this.

You shouldn't buy buying tech there is over two years old and expecting it to last over five more years.

Plus the PS4 is still being supported.

I never said I expected it to last 5 years after I bought it, I expected it to last 5 years from release, not two and a bit.

Apparently console generations don't work like the usual any more and we shouldn't expect them to last 5+ years.

You do understand that Sony will not abandond the PS4 at all?

There will be games coming out like there has been and not one will be exclusive to the new PS4...

I bought my PS4 nine months ago, and it's already going to be considered old tech. When you buy a new console there's a certain expectation that it'll last you 5+ years.

Well this reads like you expect it to last from point of purchase but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't mean for it to read like that.

Speak for yourself, I've adored the likes of Pikmin, 3D World, Luidi U, Captain Toad, Mario Kart, Smash, Yoshi, Wonderful 101, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Hyrule Warriors, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Bayonetta 2 etc. To me that has indeed 'got started'. They're abandoning it four years after release. Apparently console generations don't work like the usual any more and we shouldn't expect them to last 5+ years.

I never said I expected it to last 5 years after I bought it, I expected it to last 5 years from release, not two and a bit.

Again, the base PS4 that you own has 4-5 years left in it. You're deliberately trolling now..The only issue this might create is for XBO owners as XBO versions of multiplatform games might get a less treatment.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this sells. By the time it comes out there will be around 80M PS4's and XBO's on the market. I reckon they'll still make a million a minute, eh @Ashley.

Cheers. What, (apart from the PS4K) is evidence that console generations don't last 7 years like the previous one then?

Sony has high hopes that PS4 will have a longer life cycle than PS3

Apologies, but I don't understand what you're getting at...

You mentioned that one should expect a console generation to last 5+ years, I said this is not how it works anymore, you then responded with: "thanks exclusively to PS4k".

I think that response is stupid because it has been that way for years now in basically every aspect of technology. Accusing the PS4K is just...well, stupid.

I'm not especially bothered, i'll be bothered if there is exclusive games (especially ones i want) and if it creates a 2 tier'd multiplayer - if games run at 30fps on a ps4 and 60fps on a PS4k, how would that effect multiplayer of say Destiny or The Division? I know running Destiny or The Division on a Vita through remote play makes any PVP very difficult due to the frame rate reduction - i'd suspect most developers would go for parity though

Until more info is released i couldn't careless, i'd be frankly surprised if Sony did anything to split a user base and piss of the 30+millions of owners of current PS4's after all the hard work for the players

Edited by Agent Gibbs

I bought my PS4 nine months ago, and it's already going to be considered old tech.

It's old tech the day you bought it. The day I bought it. It's not why people console game; honestly don't know what the issue is.

The N3DS had the worst possible scenario come true in that there were games that the other system couldn't play, in addition to running games better. We don't even know if that's the case with the PS4K yet and people are seemingly losing their shit. The N3DS didn't really hurt the 3DS userbase in the grand scheme of things, did it?

I think that response is stupid because it has been that way for years now in basically every aspect of technology. Accusing the PS4K is just...well, stupid.

What does "every aspect of technology" have to do with video game console cycles? You said console generations don't last as long as the last one did, the only evidence that points to that is the PS4K, hence my reply. Ok the NX as well, but that's an exception based on poor sales.

What does "every aspect of technology" have to do with video game console cycles? You said console generations don't last as long as the last one did, the only evidence that points to that is the PS4K, hence my reply. Ok the NX as well, but that's an exception based on poor sales.

I'm still not saying the PS4K indicates a new generation because based on what we currently know it does not seem to, but if you want to take it that it does then would two console manufacturers (out of three) releasing new consoles three/four years into their life not show that it has become the standard now for shorter console lifecycles this time around?

As long as The Tomorrow Children and Dreams are still both headed to the original PS4 as planned, then I'm not really fussed by the upgraded hardware. ::shrug:

I think that this change could've been seen coming years ago with technology moving forward very quickly.

So I think it's easy to see how this influences console cycles because they are literally part of technology.

As long as The Tomorrow Children and Dreams are still both headed to the original PS4 as planned, then I'm not really fussed by the upgraded hardware. ::shrug:

The rumours suggest all games would work on both, but the PS4K would provide more processing power.

Actually, this quote helps:

As such, there will be no NEO-only games, and Sony will not let developers separate NEO users from original PS4 players while playing on PSN. Likewise, Sony explicitly and repeatedly states that developers cannot offer exclusive gameplay options or special unlockables for NEO players—so don’t expect NEO owners to get a level editor or a special Rocket League car that you won’t have access to on your original PS4.

Edited by Ashley

I'd upgrade. In fact, I'd be happy to upgrade every 2 to 3 years if they made sure to support the latest two consoles. Basically like how the iPhone works.

Sooo...

Supergiant have revealed Pyre. Due in 2017 on PC and PS4.

Bastion and Transistor are both near perfect games (gameplay, art style, music...everything works together so beautifully). That trailer makes me think Pyre will be another great addition to Supergiant's library. :bowdown:

The soundtrack alone will be amazing again, it seems.

Invisible Inc. is out today, been looking forward to the console release of this for ages :D

Shadow Complex gets released 3rd May.

We are so excited today to announce that Shadow Complex Remastered will launch May 3 on PS4.

Delivering Shadow Complex to the amazing audience of PlayStation gamers has always been a goal for us at Chair, and we can’t wait to introduce all of you to the game next month!

Would be great if it's part of the May PS+ offerings.

Invisible Inc. is out today, been looking forward to the console release of this for ages :D

Oooh, today? I've been looking forward to it, too! :D

Will have to wait until I have time to play it, so will hold off the purchase for now.