NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

It's a great service, and I think you can use it while playing games.

I don't doubt how good spotify is, just surely we all have half a dozen ways to listen to spotify and a games console is probably the worst way. But if it can be used while playing games I understand the appeal.

Well TVs have pretty good audio systems (or at least better than built-in speakers on devices) and some people will have added speakers and what not.

I've casted Spotify to my TV before now as some background noise while doing other things.

You can use it while gaming, that was explicitly stated in the original press release in January.

Why do people care about spotify? I dont understand or can you play it whilst gaming?

You can listen whilst you game, which is why I want eet.

I've been given three games to borrow over Easter from a friend from work. Wolfenstein, Far Cry and The Order 1886. I'm particularly chuffed about being able to play The Order, may start it tonight.

That's why I was interested in it too, but that was before finding out you can do this already, without the need for spotify.

Now I just chuck a load of mp3s on a USB stick and it's job done. :yay:

That's why I was interested in it too, but that was before finding out you can do this already, without the need for spotify.

Now I just chuck a load of mp3s on a USB stick and it's job done. :yay:

That's so last year, it's all about the streaming now! ;)

I guess I could do this, but I get almost all of my music from Spotify now. The small part that isn't comes from the radio. When Spotify eventually does come, I'm going to spam it to hell. Should make playing Drive Club that bit more awesome.

I've been given three games to borrow over Easter from a friend from work. Wolfenstein, Far Cry and The Order 1886. I'm particularly chuffed about being able to play The Order, may start it tonight.

I can see into your mind, young padawan. You mean The New Order.

Spotify will be out on Monday.

How do you know this? Is it just a rumour or is it actually going to happen? Will make my week if true.

I can see into your mind, young padawan. You mean The New Order.

There's only one New Order. :D

I want to play both, but think I'll start The Order first as that's meant to be shorter. How long is Wolfenstein? I've heard great things about that, too.

How do you know this? Is it just a rumour or is it actually going to happen? Will make my week if true.

I want to play both, but think I'll start The Order first as that's meant to be shorter. How long is Wolfenstein? I've heard great things about that, too.

Apparently there was some press event and it was said that Monday would be the day for its release.

Wolfenstein is about 10-12 hours IIRC.

Apparently there was some press event and it was said that Monday would be the day for its release.

Wolfenstein is about 10-12 hours IIRC.

265.gif

Thinking about exchanging the PS4 hard drive.

This has been recommended in a Digital Foundry article 8 months ago.

It's cheap and supposed to be an improvement.

How difficult is it to switch hard drives? What about the PS4 warranty? How do you install the OS on the new hard drive?

With the new firmware out, would it be enough to just backup my files onto this external hard drive and put it into the PS4?

Spotify will be out on Monday.

[tweet]581511572570443776[/tweet]

Apparently available on May 30

Edit: Rumor has it that this is a typo and it will actually be March 30, as you've said. I hope you were right :p

Edited by drahkon

How difficult is it to switch hard drives? What about the PS4 warranty? How do you install the OS on the new hard drive?

With the new firmware out, would it be enough to just backup my files onto this external hard drive and put it into the PS4?

Apparantly, it's not that hard. It's a case of a few steps really, which Shopto have a neat little guide here

It doesn't void the warrenty, seeing as the area to access the HDD is under the glossy part of the case which slides off. Plus Sony designed the PS4 to be easily upgradable anyway.

I'm doing mine over the easter weekend, ordered a replacement HDD yesterday.

[tweet]581511572570443776[/tweet]

Apparently available on May 30

Edit: Rumor has it that this is a typo and it will actually be March 30, as you've said. I hope you were right :p

I've seen that Spotify rumour for May. Too far away. :(

Changing the hdd is a piece of piss and I'm technologically retarded.

Here's what you do in your most simplest terms.

Beforehand, do the following two things:

1. Back up your data to the cloud.

2. Go to the playstation website and download the latest version of the OS from there onto a usb device. You COULD also put your saves on there, I guess.

Then, do the following:

1. Turn off PS4 - herp derp, obvious.

2. Disconnect wires from PS4 - moar herp derp da perp

3. Slide off the shiny side of the PS4 casing. I actually found this quite tricky and was worried that I'd break it.

4. Remove screws for the hdd casing.

5. Slide out hdd.

6. Slide in new shiny hdd.

7. Put screws back on.

8. Put casing back on.

9. Reconnect cables and turn PS4 on.

10. Put USB device into PS4 usb ports.

11. Do all of the onscreen stuff.

12. Redownload games and saves.

13. Enjoy.

It's actually quite simply. I followed this here and was done within the hour. The majority of your time will be spent redownloading all of your games or reinstalling them all, which can take you overnight. I've got a lot of digital games and so left the PS4 in rest mode overnight I believe and redownloaded them that way.

Apparantly, it's not that hard. It's a case of a few steps really, which Shopto have a neat little guide here

Thanks, this is what I needed.

Thanks to the latest PS4 firmware update backing up data from a full HDD just got a little easier.

PlayStation 4 firmware update v2.50's new backup and restore feature basically allows you to mirror your system's HDD onto an external device HDD, meaning that you can restore the system without having to redownload everything.

Will order a 2 TB hard drive now and change it over the weekend

Thanks to @Fierce_LiNk, as well :)

And dat Spotify app. Just logged in and all my playlists are there. Wooohooo. :yay:

I'm currently listening to one of my playlists on the spotify app whilst playing Drive Club. Suddenly, the game just got even better. I just listened to Another One Bites The Dust by Queen whilst the rain was pelting down. Fucking GLORIOUS. Everything looks and sounds wonderful.

The app is easy to use. I scrolled to Your Music at the top of the page and found my playlists. I was initially disappointed as I couldn't see the shuffle and repeat functions but they are there. You go into your playlist and, whilst highlighting a song, push down twice and it brings you up to an enlarged image of the song that you highlighted with the shuffle and repeat functions there. :awesome:

I can confirm that the "play whilst you game" function works excellently. If you hold down the PS button, you can raise the volume of the song or skip/pause from there. The only thing that the app doesn't do is that it doesn't tell your game that you are listening to it, so you'll need to either turn off the in-game music or lower the volume of it from within the setting of each game. Not really an issue but just something to be aware of.

I literally just did the same thing as you. Was smashing it around on Drive Club with the Man of Steel soundtrack playing. It was epic.

I think the best way to control the app is through the phone. No need to switch out of your game.

The only thing that the app doesn't do is that it doesn't tell your game that you are listening to it, so you'll need to either turn off the in-game music or lower the volume of it from within the setting of each game. Not really an issue but just something to be aware of.

It seems to me that that's the one thing it should do? I might be missing something but otherwise how is it any different to playing music any other way whilst your game is playing?

I literally just did the same thing as you. Was smashing it around on Drive Club with the Man of Steel soundtrack playing. It was epic.

I think the best way to control the app is through the phone. No need to switch out of your game.

Hnnnnnnng, dat soundtrack. I will fill up the ocean with my tears of joy when Hans Zimmer eventually makes a soundtrack to a game. An RPG or something.

OMG INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US WITH THE DARK KNIGHT SOUNDTRACK OR MAN OF STEEL OR SOMETHING

It seems to me that that's the one thing it should do? I might be missing something but otherwise how is it any different to playing music any other way whilst your game is playing?

It doesn't override the music of the game you're already playing, at least not that I can see. I'm not sure how it worked with music unlimited beforehand, maybe it was the same. It's no biggy as you can just go into your game settings and turn down the music from there. In theory, you could just have your laptop next to you and use spotify on that and turn your music down on the game, but then you've got sound coming from two different places, plus it would be a pain in the arse having a laptop next to you all the time. It's for convenience, really. It works well the way it's done on the PS4. All of my playlists have carried across, for example.

I'm enjoying it. If somebody walked in right now, they'd have no idea that I've got a separate app playing whilst playing Drive Club, for example.

It doesn't override the music of the game you're already playing, at least not that I can see. I'm not sure how it worked with music unlimited beforehand, maybe it was the same. It's no biggy as you can just go into your game settings and turn down the music from there. In theory, you could just have your laptop next to you and use spotify on that and turn your music down on the game, but then you've got sound coming from two different places, plus it would be a pain in the arse having a laptop next to you all the time. It's for convenience, really. It works well the way it's done on the PS4. All of my playlists have carried across, for example.

I'm enjoying it. If somebody walked in right now, they'd have no idea that I've got a separate app playing whilst playing Drive Club, for example.

I'm amazed there was such a fuss about it then. Then again I don't have Spotify and rarely feel like I want to change the music when I game, so what do I know :heh:

I'm amazed there was such a fuss about it then. Then again I don't have Spotify and rarely feel like I want to change the music when I game, so what do I know :heh:

You don't have spotify? Whaaa?

I get about 90% of my music from there now. I've got the Californication album playing by Red Hot Chili Peppers on atm.

The phone app works well with this. You can select songs on your phone and connect up to the PS4 through that, too. It's a great app, with only one slightly minor flaw that can be worked around.