NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

That definitely goes some way to explaining why the X1 isn't performing as great. However, people wouldn't be buying the PS4 unless it had either games they want to play, or games they wanted to play in the future. You can use marketing to explain why one is doing better than the other, but not as the primary reason why people are actually buying the system. It's because they want to play games!

Yeah, but as has been mentioned, PS's pinching of Xbox customers has been extraordinary. The two systems have such similar player bases, and such similar games, and the reasons you've given for the PS4's success over the XB1 (so far), like its strong indie support, are not so pertinent to the masses. A great many of them want new consoles because they are new consoles, there doesn't have to be a ton of promising exclusives or third party games for them to get on board early on. They want the new consoles so that they are current. There's pressure to do so because their friends are upgrading, and they won't be able to play online with them if they don't follow suit. The question early on isn't 'should I buy a console?', it's 'which console should I buy,' which is why the role of marketing was so massive this time (true, it generally is at launch). The gulf between the campaigns was so marked this generation, it was enough to convince established consumers of one brand to jump ship, despite the incentives Xbox offers for consumers to stay with them (like Gamerscores). My view is that the reason for the shift is as much to do with public perception as it is to do with the hardware and software advantages of either.

In the long term, indie support, exclusives and extra features hold greater importance because they have more potential to attract buyers who might have otherwise neglected to buy any console at all.

Of course we're at something of an impasse because the weightings of each factor aren't measurable.

Edited by dwarf

Yeah, but as has been mentioned, PS's pinching of Xbox customers has been extraordinary. The two systems have such similar player bases, and such similar games, and the reasons your giving for the PS4's success over the XB1 (so far), like its strong indie support, are not so pertinent to the masses. A great many of them want new consoles because they are new consoles, there doesn't have to be a ton of promising exclusives or third party games for them to get on board early on. They want the new consoles so that they are current. There's pressure to do so because their friends are upgrading, and they won't be able to play online with them if they don't follow suit. The question early on isn't 'should I buy a console?', it's 'which console should I buy,' which is why the role of marketing was so massive this time (true, it generally is at launch). The gulf between the campaigns was so marked this generation, it was enough to convince established consumers of one brand to jump ship, despite the incentives Xbox offers for consumers to stay with them (like Gamerscores). My view is that the reason for the shift is as much to do with public perception as it is to do with hardware and software benefits.

In the long term, indie support, exclusives and extra features hold greater importance because they have more potential to attract buyers who might have otherwise neglected to buy any console at all.

Of course we're at something of an impasse because the weightings of each factor aren't measurable.

I don't disagree that marketing has helped PS4 topple the X1 in an extraordinary way, I just disagree with dazzy's earlier comment that the primary reason for its success is marketing/perception. The PS4 is selling faster than the PS2; like you just said, people are buying it as they're going to anyway, have been in the last generation ages it makes sense to hop on board now so they can play with friends (and play games at a higher performance level). I'd put all those reasons above marketing because ultimately no matter how good the marketing, you don't buy a product if it doesn't do what you want it to do, either now or later.

This story covers how great the games already available on PS4 are. There's actually an awful lot and easily enough to tempt people to the system (including Xbox owners in the case of games like TLOU).

Edited by Sheikah

I think it really does come down to preferences and expectations. The sales success of the PS4 proves that there are plenty of games that are built competently and solidly and which satisfy the cravings that were catered for and made possible by the previous (online-focused) generation, but now with added firepower. And that is fine for most people, and explains high sales. I think the problem might be that Daz expects too much of the mass consumer. They aren't connoisseurs, they simply want to play games; it doesn't matter if the games fall securely within their comfort zone. That's not to say you guys are wrong about there being a range of good games at the moment, but I share Daz's view that the games we're seeing this generation aren't exactly inspired right now (and that goes for the industry, not only PS4). Sure, there might be a handful of quality indie games and PS+, but that isn't explaining the rocketing sales figures in absolute terms.

Perhaps it is mostly down to the strong third party support (I concede on this side of the multifaceted argument), and something nobody has mentioned so far - the growing market for games generally. The teething of the younger, tech savvy gamer. It's fucking ridiculous how popular eSports are today, for example.

[Different arguments going on:

absolute sales

comparative sales

quality of games

stage of console's life

all of them linked in some ways but not in others]

It's virtual reality that has me on the edge of my seat at the moment.

Edited by dwarf

I have never really cared about framerates in the past, but yesterday I went straight from Wolfenstein (60FPS) to Destiny (30FPS) and I honestly thought my PS4 or Destiny was broken for a moment. It was like when you start playing a PC game and forget you've left a bunch of programs open which are eating all your RAM.

I figure this is the best place to ask.

A friend of mine is looking into getting a PS3, along with its backlog. A few questions regarding that:

-Are the PS3 online services (servers, PS+, etc.) still up and available? If so, for how long?

A while back, I asked this. The answer I got was "For many years to come".

The slightly-different-question now is regarding the digital games in one's collection: How long do they last? As long as the servers? Or do they stay in the console even after the servers are gone?

A while back, I asked this. The answer I got was "For many years to come".

The slightly-different-question now is regarding the digital games in one's collection: How long do they last? As long as the servers? Or do they stay in the console even after the servers are gone?

Forever, they will stay on your console for as long as it continues to work. They're yours to keep. The only difference is PS Plus games, which require you to keep up your Plus account in order to keep playing the games.

I look forward to enjoying my digital copy of Battlefield 1943 forever, even when they take the servers down.

I look forward to enjoying my digital copy of Battlefield 1943 forever, even when they take the servers down.

You'll still have a fully bootable copy of the game.

Just enjoy staring at the screen "servers not found". :heh:

PS4 2.5 update incoming tomorrow:

• Suspend/Resume feature; suspend a game by putting your console into Rest Mode, and then quickly resume later by hitting the pad's PlayStation button.
  • Creating a Party has been streamlined with a reduction in the number of steps required.
  • Back-up your PS4 to an external hard-drive and restore from there too.
  • Can search for Facebook friends with your linked account and send Real Name requests in the same step. A Friends Who Play This option will be added to game detail pages.
  • Screenshots will automatically be taken when you earn Trophies, and you can now share videos on Dailymotion.
  • New custom controller button assignments, zoom functionality and inverted colours "will be available for all system functions, apps and games".
  • Option to automatically install all system software updates is being added, and Remote Play and Share Play devices will support 60 frames per second streams. A Vita firmware app update coincides with this.
  • Vita and PlayStation App getting improved accessibility options.

Nice little update there.

I must admit, I've not played my PS4 in ages, a couple months (I've used Netflix on it), I've played my WiiU more recently (Smash).

Still, the console getting all my love at the moment is the 3DS. I simply cannot stop playing MH4U.

Looking forward to catching up on games I'm yet to finish/start though... even if it's going to be a while away yet (LM2, MM3D, Bayonetta 1&2 and Infamous SS/FL). Then to buy Bloodborne, maybe Shadw of Mordor... too many games!

Tomb Raider definitive edition is 10 quid in the flash sale, so tempted. Played it on the 360 and was one of my fave games.

Too many games, so little time. Nice update that, some people are saying this also brings in the ability to delete 0% trophies off as well.

Where's my goddamn Spotify app?

This x 1000.

I can live without the other stuff. I just want Spotify. Then, I shall be complete.

Tempted to get Peggle 2 in the sale. I heard that the original Xbox One release lacked leaderboards and didn't even save the high scores at all though. For a game which is all about getting high scores, it's a bit of a deal breaker for me. Anyone know if it has leaderboards or saves scores on PS4?

Update is up. Android app has an update aswell, not sure about iOS.

Where's my goddamn Spotify app?

It'll be Update 3.0. Something as big as that needs to go up a number.

Check Sony's blog as they just give everyone a free two month trial of Spotify via PS Music

Why do people care about spotify? I dont understand or can you play it whilst gaming?

It's a great service, and I think you can use it while playing games.

I got a free film...

Ditto, probably watch it considering it's free