NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Nice to see Nintendo's digital code strategy becoming more common.

Yeah, it's very nice :) Weird that I just happen to make a post asking why nobody had copied them just a few days ago and suddenly... VOILA!

Pretty hilarious to see people signing praises about Sony doing this, saying that they're leading the way for consumer rights, when Nintendo already did this many months ago in Europe (and over a year ago in Japan :p ).

The Nintendo one is still a rip off though (the prices on the GAME store are typically atrocious). Maybe with it being Amazon it'll be better? I certainly haven't seen the GAME e-shop codes as being some form of competition with the actual e-shop. Just seems like a different outlet for similarly priced games.

It will be the same as i do with the 360 at present, install a game i'm playing and once it's done uninstall to save room. It may not bother me for a while, but as Sony have said (i read it somewhere), you can replace the HDD with a larger one (if it's compatible).

The Mega Bundle was £430 on Sainsbury's site for about twenty minutes. SO CLOSE!

Entering PS Plus:

29th November: Resogun

29th November: Contrast

27th November: GRID 2

27th November: Guacamelee! (Cross Buy)

27th November: Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed

27th November: Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories

Leaving PS Plus:

27th November: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

27th November: Jak and Daxter Trilogy

27th November: MotorStorm RC

27th November: Oddworld Strangers Wrath

Entering PS Plus:

29th November: Resogun

29th November: Contrast

27th November: GRID 2

27th November: Guacamelee! (Cross Buy)

27th November: Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed

27th November: Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories

Leaving PS Plus:

27th November: Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

27th November: Jak and Daxter Trilogy

27th November: MotorStorm RC

27th November: Oddworld Strangers Wrath

Awesome, I have multiple 90-day subscription codes saved up in preparation for joining plus so going by this... it would be wise to join Plus on the 25th of November, that way I get Jack and Daxter Trilogy for free - everything else I already have - plus all that upcoming goodness too, just in time for when I get my PS4 a few days time after that on the 29th. :D

Eurogamer review scores.

Killzone Shadow Fall review (7/10)

Resogun review (8/10)

Knack review (4/10)

Call of Duty: Ghosts review (7/10, reviewed on PS4)

Battlefield 4 review (8/10, reviewed on PS4)

Assassin's Creed 4 review (9/10, reviewed on current-gen)

Lego Marvel Super Heroes review (9/10, reviewed on current-gen)

Any PS4 specific reviews for Lego Marvel Superheroes? I'm hoping at least one game i'm after doesn't suck :heh:

Knack is Knackered, damn. And GAME have that as a demo for the lock-in on the 16th. Otherwise, good review scores none the less.

I really never knew what everyone else was seeing in Knack. It looked extremely generic, extremely simplistic level design... I'm not surprised to see it score low.

I am surprised by that Killzone score. Definitely makes me feel happy that I'm not jumping right in at launch.

I expected a fun, albeit not mindblowing, title. Aka, a launch game.

It's just you.

Is it me or is the PS4 already a flop?

Posted by hoopla_puntaon November 13, 2013 11:49 am25

The embargoed pre-release reviews and impressions on the PlayStation 4 have just been released this morning (in the US at least), I find the in-depth Review at Polygon quite a good read, do hit it up at http://www.polygon.com/a/ps4-review

TL;DR? PS4 misses the mark in a complete media package in their Day One release. Pales in comparison in Xbox One for now.

(warning, unabashedly Microsoft slant at the end.)

My general impression of the PS4 is very... lukewarm. While the hardware does look killer in our rectangle TVs, consoles and shelves... the good points kind of end about there apart from the hardware, which I do agree, should have a better output and performance than the Xbox One.

Then comes the software and games riding on top of the hardware. Watch Dogs was something to look forward to on the PS4, now that is delayed too. I kind feel gamers don't have a whole lot of launch games to look forward to... what do you think about that? (I'm a casual gamer, can't really give a stand on this)

The OS riding atop of PS4 appears to be astoundingly terrible. It's way too confusing with multiple sections, menus and levels, looking like something that software engineers build with a gun stuck down their neck saying "just build something good looking". The level of refinement here is kind of mediocre.

The things that are missing in the OS seem quite glaring too. Zero USB drive/disks support, Bluetooth audio, CDs, or even DLNA. Essentially there is no media support at launch. I understand their focus on gaming and that's awesome, but shouldn't they have enough resources to provide even a decent media system as well as a great gaming platform?

Since this is the Microsoft Tribe, a comparison to MS's Xbox One offering is obligatory. Sure the graphics can't push Ghosts at 900p or beyond, fine. Some opinions say that doesn't matter. Will it? Only having two TVs and both consoles side by side will tell.

But look at what MS has been able to push out in terms of software seems amazing relative to what Sony has been able to focus (or not focus) their resources on. Remember the very short leaks of the XB1 work-in-progress interface that was seen nearly 6 months ago? Compare that to the recent (really) live demos, and it's nothing short of wondrous. A lot of work has been put into making their vision reality, and kudos to the software engineers for making that magic happen.

The media features, entertainment options and great ways to interact with the XB1, IMO, make it seem like a more complete package overall from the PS4. What made PS4 look like a hero 6 months ago perhaps was the contrast in its standpoint towards DRM and always-online functions. Now that the curtains are lifted and people can really get a feel for the system, I wonder will either device be the hero, or will the market stand as it has been? What do you think, do we have to wait till November 22 to tell?

PS: I also wonder if Sony will be able to help PS4 catch up in terms on feature innovation, without something like Kinect to leverage on (PlayStation Camera is a joke), there seems little that the company can do to make PS4 seem like "just a newer game console" in the future.

PSPS: The PS4 box is just hideous. Apart from the unimpressive front and very-corrugated box material, the back looks so tacky, almost like the box of one of those blenders you order off one of those TV shopping channels.

Now it's getting closer to the release, I'm wondering if I should drop my pre-order of Killzone. The problem is... that's the only game I'm planning on picking up at the moment so I'd be left with nothing other than the PS Plus games. So I'm thinking I should keep it.

Argh. I'm just not really a fan of Killzone and the game will probably be half price in a month or two.

I've already got rid of my additional controller pre-order since I found out that Killzone won't have splitscreen multiplayer and I'm almost definitely going to cancel my pre-order of the PlayStation 4 camera as it seems like it'll do nothing until Q2 next year.

Now it's getting closer to the release, I'm wondering if I should drop my pre-order of Killzone. The problem is... that's the only game I'm planning on picking up at the moment so I'd be left with nothing other than the PS Plus games. So I'm thinking I should keep it.

I don't think anyone is really a huge 'fan' of Killzone but it seems like most of us are just buying it because it's a shiny shooter with some nice multiplayer features/average campaign that'll tide us over until the 'real' games start coming out. :)

For what it's worth, it'll most likely turn out better than Call of Duty so that's something I suppose... :p I would keep it, because Killzone will surely be an entertaining set-piece plus good for a bit of early multi-player fun. :D

I don't think anyone is really a huge 'fan' of Killzone but it seems like most of us are just buying it because it's a shiny shooter with some nice multiplayer features/average campaign that'll tide us over until the 'real' games start coming out. :)

For what it's worth, it'll most likely turn out better than Call of Duty so that's something I suppose... :p I would keep it, because Killzone will surely be an entertaining set-piece plus good for a bit of early multi-player fun. :D

No one has ever said anything I agree with more.

This guy. This fucking guy man.

I remember when Killzone was hailed as a Halo Killer lol.

Now that award goes to Halo 4. lol