NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Part of me was thinking 'wouldn't it be cool to buy this for myself as a Christmas present... I thought that for the Wii U and I didn't hold out at all! Haha

Hypothetical situation; I buy a PS3 near the launch of the PS4. I get a PS+ subscription. How long will the console be supported for, in terms of new free games monthly, etc? If the same subscription works for PS3 and PS4, does it mean I could log on to a PS4 and access the console-specific content?

Just wondering, because I won't be able to afford a PS4 for a fair old while and figure it could be a good time to access a new set of games. I know the PS3 will continue to be supported for ages in terms of new games but that's irrelevant to me. I'm just curious about what the PS+ service would offer for both consoles whilst they're both running at the same time.

Hypothetical situation; I buy a PS3 near the launch of the PS4. I get a PS+ subscription. How long will the console be supported for, in terms of new free games monthly, etc? If the same subscription works for PS3 and PS4, does it mean I could log on to a PS4 and access the console-specific content?

Just wondering, because I won't be able to afford a PS4 for a fair old while and figure it could be a good time to access a new set of games. I know the PS3 will continue to be supported for ages in terms of new games but that's irrelevant to me. I'm just curious about what the PS+ service would offer for both consoles whilst they're both running at the same time.

No idea yet. Priority is given to PS3 and Vita for now. PS4 plus will have a slow start. Just make sure you are adding games via the store https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

PlayStation 4 won't need PS Plus for auto-updates, media, social

PlayStation 4 users will not require a PlayStation Plus subscription to use auto-update, media and social features.

Sony has detailed the changes to the service that will be made upon the introduction of its next-generation console.

It was revealed at E3 that players would require PS Plus subscriptions for online multiplayer.

"It is time to charge, but it is time to charge and still continue to deliver phenomenal value," SCEE UK and Ireland MD Fergal Gara told VideoGamer.

"A PlayStation Plus subscriber for PlayStation 4 comes away with a hell of a lot. First of all, the subscription applies across all three platforms [PS4, PS3 and PS Vita], so if you have the three platforms then you have an instant game collection on all three. So that's hugely powerful in its own right.

"If you choose not to subscribe we are still gating relatively little in many senses, so access to online catch-up TV and online movie services sit outside of the gate, for example. The social features of PS4 and PS4 games sit out of the subscription service.

"Things like auto-updates on PS4 sit outside of PlayStation Plus, so we're trying to be as balanced and as fair as we possibly can."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a490891/playstation-4-wont-need-ps-plus-for-auto-updates-media-social.html

We already knew about the media stuff still being outside of PS+ but its nice to see that they've moved the auto-updates for everyone as well now. That feature was one of my favourites from PS+, just letting my PS3 update during set hours during the night while I was sleeping.

I know E3 is over but this is weird enough to warrant posting.

i0Rhps5SCipbg.gif

Wish the Duelshock 4 would go down cheaper than £50... Would want to pick up a second one but that is a lot of extra money before I even get any games! lol.

I never even bothered picking up a Dualshock 3 this gen.

I would struggle to play multiplayer with my god without one!! ;)

There were rumours that Xbox One would release on same day as CoD and Battlefield as PS4. However Battlefield's "no show" on PS4 makes this seem doubtful even though it is obviously still coming to the system.

MS seem confident they are launching before PS4. So its probably November. December seems late and Sony are not implying that they have any issues. Cant wait. The console price really make it much easier.

There were rumours that Xbox One would release on same day as CoD and Battlefield as PS4. However Battlefield's "no show" on PS4 makes this seem doubtful even though it is obviously still coming to the system.

Could just be the case that Microsoft 'bought' Battlefield 4 to only be shown on Xbox One for E3?

Could just be the case that Microsoft 'bought' Battlefield 4 to only be shown on Xbox One for E3?

Huh? The Xbox One version wasn't at E3.

Huh? The Xbox One version wasn't at E3.

I'm on nights this week and have only recently woke up... forgive me!

It was shown at their conference though wasn't it? I seem to remember seeing it on that.

Now I'm not sure what @flameboy point was at all... *Should probably go back to bed*

The singleplayer was shown during the Microsoft conference (with a clearly visible backspace button on the screen) and the multiplayer was shown during E3's conference via 64 PCs.

The singleplayer was shown during the Microsoft conference (with a clearly visible backspace button on the screen) and the multiplayer was shown during E3's conference via 64 PCs.

Ah ok. I never watched EA or Sonys conference live this year. But i'm sure I watched 'highlights...

Edited by Mike1988uk

Yeah that's what I mean about the singleplayer appearing during the Microsoft conference. So the date rumours with Battlefield aligned with PS4 so to speak are perhaps not true.

The games showcased so far have convinced me the upcoming generation has great potential, but there isn't one title in particular that I really want.

Had I not subscribed to Plus I would've toyed with the idea of selling my PS3 on too, despite only buying one a few months back. I've played what I needed to play - Dark Souls, BioShock: Infinite, Journey, The Unfinished Swan, The Last of Us and Shadow of the Collossus, and now the console will only really be useful if I fancy the odd burst on multiplayer. I'm not huge on GTA, Beyond looks skippable, and there doesn't appear to be a swan song on the horizon. I guess for me, it was The Last of Us. I would be perfectly content for the current cycle to end on that note.

I would keep the PS3 anyhow because of plus and the fact its useful as a second blu ray player etc. and thats the long run. I still intend to buy PS3 games for a while. Maybe the last big game for me is GT6. But I have a feeling there is more.

I agree that many of the games are just your enhanced PS3 games coming. I was hoping there were more next gen only stuff. But what do you expect from the likes of Ubi, EA and Activision? BF4 is similar to BF3 with better faces and physics effects. I was expecting more. I dunno. I am still getting it on PS4. At least i can resell it unlike on PC. Not touching single player this time. In the e3 demo the player barely moved afew feet :p

BF4-7.jpg

BF4-9.jpg

BF4-2.jpg

This is where the indies, next gen only games and other digital games, free to play games etc. come in that most people are not listing. Right now we dont have the full lineups and dates. I like the overall look of games.

And that right there is why i'm glad i bought and have kept my vita! now it won't just be a psone emulator, it will be a psone and ps4 emulator of sorts!

I would keep the PS3 anyhow because of plus and the fact its useful as a second blu ray player etc. and thats the long run. I still intend to buy PS3 games for a while. Maybe the last big game for me is GT6. But I have a feeling there is more.

I agree that many of the games are just your enhanced PS3 games coming. I was hoping there were more next gen only stuff. But what do you expect from the likes of Ubi, EA and Activision? BF4 is similar to BF3 with better faces and physics effects. I was expecting more. I dunno. I am still getting it on PS4. At least i can resell it unlike on PC. Not touching single player this time. In the e3 demo the player barely moved afew feet :p

BF4-7.jpg

BF4-9.jpg

BF4-2.jpg

This is where the indies, next gen only games and other digital games, free to play games etc. come in that most people are not listing. Right now we dont have the full lineups and dates. I like the overall look of games.

Battlefield 4 looks so awesome. Looking forward to 3 on Plus next month. Just one of those games I never got round to buying despite being in the beta and loving it.

Sony sent me a 30 day code for PS+ which I gave to a friend. But this draws a few questions for me:

1. If I used that 30 day code, would I have gotten a free 30 days of PS+ on top of what I have already?

2. My friend has access to my playstation account so he can download what I buy off the store and vice versa, but can he now do the same with PS+ games with the games I got from previous months for free, that are now gone, and maintain them with his own + subscription?

3. How does one check how long they have left on their subscription?

Sony sent me a 30 day code for PS+ which I gave to a friend. But this draws a few questions for me:

1. If I used that 30 day code, would I have gotten a free 30 days of PS+ on top of what I have already?

2. My friend has access to my playstation account so he can download what I buy off the store and vice versa, but can he now do the same with PS+ games with the games I got from previous months for free, that are now gone, and maintain them with his own + subscription?

3. How does one check how long they have left on their subscription?

Account management -> Services

1) No. I dont think so. Give it a try. It wont confirm your redeem likely.

2) Your friend's account is separate from yours. Since you guys are sharing he is just being shared your PS+ stuff.

3) Account Management -> Services

Will let you check your subs and cancel or auto renew etc. Has alot of other junk too.

Account management -> Services

1) No. I dont think so. Give it a try. It wont confirm your redeem likely.

2) Your friend's account is separate from yours. Since you guys are sharing he is just being shared your PS+ stuff.

3) Account Management -> Services

Will let you check your subs and cancel or auto renew etc. Has alot of other junk too.

Well he redeemed the code, says he has 90 days :S

Also he can see my entire download history and is taking what he wants right now.