NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

In retrospect I'm not sure why I bothered. I never feel the need to join in with Youtube sniping.

Im cool with a controller redesign as long as its not too bizarre or gimmicky.

I just basically want a PS3 with significantly faster network, UI, and load times

The Dual Shock has god awful ergonomics and a hideous design. Kill it with fire! Finish it!

Whereas a remote control was fantastically ergonomic. :p

Whereas a remote control was fantastically ergonomic. :p

The Wii Remote & Nunchuck control method was extremely ergonomic.

I disagree. The need to point the remote often at the screen necessitated unnatural arm positioning and strain. And the various remote orientations supported by games showed that the default method of holding it was frankly unsatisfactory.

Plus absolutely NO ONE worth their salt favoured a Wii remote over a GC controller for Brawl.

The Dualshock is a pretty good controller. All it needs is to switch the D-Pad and the left Joystick around (like the GC and 360 controllers). Also, some polishing, like shrinking the joysticks and softening the D-Pads.

I disagree. The need to point the remote often at the screen necessitated unnatural arm positioning and strain. And the various remote orientations supported by games showed that the default method of holding it was frankly unsatisfactory.

I've met plenty of people who, when confronted with the option to play with the GC controller or the nunchuck, preferred the nunchuck, simply because the thing felt easier to come to grips with (even when the GC controller was the clearly better choice).

Also, most games that use the nunchuck don't force you to point the remote at the TV for long periods of time (none that I played, at least).

Was it really that straining for the wrist? I've never heard about it.

Plus absolutely NO ONE worth their salt favoured a Wii remote over a GC controller for Brawl.

And nobody worth their salt favours the GC controller for the Nunchuck+Wiimote when playing Resident Evil 4. See how that works? ;)

Yep, anything that required pointing (most games) meant it wasn't ergonomic. Pointing generally isn't comfortable and means you have to alter the way you hold the controller simply to aim at a particular part of the screen.

And RE4 was old news by the time it got the Wii so I wouldn't know.

Edited by Sheikah

I....erm....I....

I used the Wii Remote & Nunchuck for Smash Bros. Brawl.

With the way the Wii remote sits in my hand, and it just resting on my thigh, I'm already pointing straight at the middle of my TV in my resting position. Coupled with the fact that alot of games allow you to adjust sensitivity means you can get full control with very minimal movements so I find quite comfortable indeed - more so than having to use a dual analogue set up anyway.

Now if you are some plonker holding the Wii Remote at arms length just to point it at the screen then sure, you'll be sufferring fatigue in no time, but otherwise it's not too tricky to find a comfy neutral position to allow for full control.

And Wii REmote/Nunchuk combo? Shame on you Cube, shame on you... at least I use a Pro Controller :p

The Dual Shock's handles are too flat and the screw holes at the top, on the sides, are in bad places I find - it forces me to rest my fingers on the shoulder buttons because they dig into the recessed bit of the case otherwise and it's not good for grip. Also, I'm not sure if they improved with version 3 but the analog sticks always felt like they had a massive dead zone even when new out the box - that's a physical dead zone in that it doesn't register any physical resistance until you've moved it rather than a game coded to not read it, in case I wasn't clear.

Not really sure about all of these posts about the Wiimote being uncomfortable to hold when pointing at the screen. I've played Pro Evo for hours and hours on end whilst using the playmaker controls (meaning you are dragging things on screen, making runs, etc) and it has never once felt uncomfortable or straining. Even with a shooter it feels fine to me. Generally, if you are straining whilst doing something, it's usually because you're doing something wrong.

I've used the 'Mote and 'Chuk controls for Brawl. Have also used Wavebird. Both are fine for the game. Neither really benefits it or harms it, so both are acceptable. Majority of the time, I use the Wii controls just because I'm used to how they feel now.

Personally, it's comfortable to hold but personally I don't like pointing at stuff. This is personal.

Can we keep this thread on the topic of the PS4.

Feel free to start a new thread about the Wii Remote.

I was trying to think of my 'dream feature' that I'd like to see in the PS4...but I'm drawing a blank.

Think it's pretty much just more of the same from Sony for me! The Blu-ray players already a great addition.

And Plus great too (not that I've signed up yet)! Yeah I'm not sure what more they could do though!

I guess it's a great opportunity for Sony to surprise us. Fingers crossed.

Honestly, it wouldn't even need to be free. Infamous 3 could be the same price as the PS4 and I'd wet myself. I NEED TO KNOW IT EXISTS!!

I don't know why but even a next-gen shiny Motorstorm would have me salivating.

A decent OS would be nice, Nothing fancy, just a lot smoother and easier to navigate.

I'd like a new controller and I'd love a built-in On-Live style streaming service, except done better. Hopefully a platform open to competing services?

Also, PS4 Dust 514.

Would be nice if it actually launched with that Streaming service instead of it coming out later. But if it comes any time soon that'd would probably be good enough.

The best thing would be to launch it at E4 with PS4 demos. BOOOOOM. THE NEXT GEN STARTS NAAAAOW.

Infamous 3 and new IPs. THAT'S what I want. New IP's. Which Sony are pretty good at as we've seen.

I just assumed we would get new IPs but yeah, that's what I want from the PS4.

Infamous 3 and new IPs. THAT'S what I want. New IP's. Which Sony are pretty good at as we've seen.

I'll be interested in seeing what Naughty Dog have planned. I don't expect a Last of Us or Uncharted to be their first PS4 game.

I do hope Sony shamelessly apes the TV Mode from the Wii U playbook.

Conversely, I hope they don't ape ANYTHING from MS

I'll be interested in seeing what Naughty Dog have planned. I don't expect a Last of Us or Uncharted to be their first PS4 game.

Yeah, I agree with Retro, just from a marketing perspective Sony will want Uncharted. But ND have two teams now so that's hardly a bad thing.

===

Would be surprised the HDD wasn't bigger but...iiiiiinteresting.

The PlayStation 4 Has A New Controller, Fancy User Accounts And Impressive Specs (So Far)

System Memory: 8GB

Video Memory: 2.2 GB

CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (so, 8x cores)

GPU: AMD R10xx

Ports: 4x USB 3.0, 2x Ethernet

Drive: Blu-Ray

HDD: 160GB

Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels

That's a Hell of a lot of RAM. I wonder how much will make it out the Dev Kit to the retail unit.

Is that a bump to the GPU from ones previously mentioned?

Edited by Daft
Automerged Doublepost