NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

I wrote that at work in 'copywriter' mode, now I read it I didn't mean to be as acerbic as it sounded. Apologies.

I feel, I may be wrong, that the Vita has shown that Sony will be talking to devs with regards to the hardware (no more of this CELL stuff, after all). I think the rear touch pad is a great addition to hardware and there was a back and forth between devs and R&D there. But I might as well be talking about quantum mechanics because we won't know until we know, in the end.

We still need a game that makes good use of the rear touch pad.

I think this will answer that one when it finally arrives.

I suspect Gaikai will be the best bet for backward compatibility. I can't imagine the PS4 will play PS3 games.

this will make sad. BC is everything.

I also find it ironic that the rumoured codename for one of the components is "Liverpool", when they've recently shut down their Liverpool studio.

Let's hope it is not the audio component!

I'll leave....

PS4 and Xbox 720 Unveiled - From Reddit, obviously take it with an Everest of salt but it does seem to fit in with everything we've heard.

It's an interesting idea the the PS4/720/PC will effectively become the big three while the Wii U...does..something I still don't really understand.

I wonder how much this new controller is going to cost?

Personally, I think Sony should put some backing on it's Sony Vita line which looks to be doing worse than the PSP ever did right now and release the PS4 later on with an improved DS 3, but I guess they want to release it before the Xbox 720 (or whatever it's called) comes out.

PS - I still don't like the 'Orbis' name.

I wonder how much this new controller is going to cost?

Considering how expensive the DualShock 3 is, a lot.

Considering how expensive the DualShock 3 is, a lot.
I dunno, isn't it usually around £30-£35? That's what I normally see it around for, sometime sub £30 in a sale.

It costs £45 to complete a Wii U Remote/Nunchuck controller, whilst if you want a Pro Controller that's another £40!

Basically yeah, controller prices all round are getting kinda ridiculous, but I don't know maybe I just never noticed it with the Gamecube/N64 for some reason.

I dunno, isn't it usually around £30-£35? That's what I normally see it around for, sometime sub £30 in a sale.

It costs £45 to complete a Wii U Remote/Nunchuck controller, whilst if you want a Pro Controller that's another £40!

Basically yeah, controller prices all round are getting kinda ridiculous, but I don't know maybe I just never noticed it with the Gamecube/N64 for some reason.

DS3 does include a decent built in battery and universal charging (usb). Its also higher spec than the 360 controller technically with higher sensitivity in the analogue sticks and buttons also being analogue.

For me Wii took the cake though.

Orbis is a codename. They better not follow Vita's naming system. Just call it 4. Its not confusing and gets to the point.

DS3 does include a decent built in battery and universal charging (usb). Its also higher spec than the 360 controller technically with higher sensitivity in the analogue sticks and buttons also being analogue.

For me Wii took the cake though.

Orbis is a codename. They better not follow Vita's naming system. Just call it 4. Its not confusing and gets to the point.

The only thing people are saying is that 4 is an unlucky number in Japan.

But then if they just called it Playstation or something, it begs the question what would they call the sequel? Playstation 2 again?... or jump back to PS5?... which would cause confusion with the general public.

50 fucking quid.

But then if they just called it Playstation or something, it begs the question what would they call the sequel? Playstation 2 again?... or jump back to PS5?... which would cause confusion with the general public.

I dunno, Playstation Death has a nice ring to it.

I dunno, Playstation Death has a nice ring to it.

The true hardcore gamer's machine ;)

Don't know why, Resident Evil 4 was the best of the lot. 8D

Agreed. Whilst it's nice that someone at Sony is a fan of classical languages like Latin with 'Orbis' and 'Vita', I don't think it always translates well into the gaming world. I would be happy with PS4 but then I would have been happy with PSP 2 as well.

Apple don't seem to mind calling two separate versions the same thing.

That's what you paid for it!!?

I'm sure that is/was the RRP but looking at it (Game) it seems to be about £35 now.

And no, not bought a second.

The true hardcore gamer's machine ;)

Makes me think of minecraft. You die, and lose all your saves!

Makes me think of minecraft. You die, and lose all your saves!

Hard drive corruption becomes a feature and not a bug :p

Dont be silly.

nah i will pass this time. sony dissapointed me with the ps3.

i will see what microsoft has up their sleeves and if they suck also.

now i am happy with my wii U, just love the controller and enjoying the games on it.

The other consoles has to come up with something new, with lil improved graphics there isnt going to change much, its all about the gameplay.

Is that still the calibre of comment expected of the Wii board? Or a simple troll?

It's completely shallow and fatuous to think of the debate as gameplay vs. graphics. Gameplay is such an abstract term, you probably don't even know what you mean by it. If you prefer the games on the Wii, say just that. It isn't hard. Many people are oppositely inclined, and would argue Nintendo's innovations serve to detract from rather than enhance their games.

Edited by dwarf

Also, a more powerful console allows for developers to do more with gameplay.

The Dual Shock has god awful ergonomics and a hideous design. Kill it with fire! Finish it!