NEurope
Beast

Have you ever got emotional over any books, shows, movies, games or music?

Cool thread :p

Book: A prayer for owen meany

Game: no

shows: Friends, HIMYM

movies: ughhh.. lots >.> The notebook, the vow, Click, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind.. just to name a few

I find myself on the brink of tears fairly frequently (i.e. not daily but not yearly), but I get to a point of "ooh ooh! I might cry for the first time in ages! Cool!" and the tears dry up. I basically get meta on the sad.

Getting older and experiencing more... dredgery and sourness in this world has opened a lot more dour doors. I'm sad thinking about being sad. Sad.

Oh yeah, I remember, Of Mice and Men. The end. It was harrowing. I didn't cry, but I would have if that was how I emote.

Also theres a bit in The Office and a bit in Him and Her which have brought a tear to my eye, for some weird reason. What a dork.

Books

Not much of a reader really, though reading through the whole Harry Potter saga wat quite emotional.

Even though I'd seen all the movies except for the last one, a tear or two might have shown up when Dumbledore bit the dust.

Another book which made me cry was a book called Metamorphosis by a Dutch writer know as Couperus. At the time I was a teenager and it felt as if this man was describing my life and possible future.

Movies

Definitely the beginning of Up.

Titanic

Schindler's List. The ending really got to me when he suddenly realised how many people he could've saved by selling off his possessions. :cry:

I'm sure there are a whole bunch of other movies to which I've shed a tear. Some movies just get to you at a certain point in your life.

Music

Credits of Professor Layton and Pandora's Box

Old and Wise from Alan Parson

Lots and lots of classical pieces.

Games

Journey

Slender, didn't cry, but GOD DAMN! It's like going to the hospital without knowing what they're going to do to you.

Walking Dead didn't really do anything for me. Maybe because a friend who introduced me to the games gets really emotional, which might've made me think I had to keep it together.

And I must admit. On the way back in the train from watching it at a friend's house, I shed a tear over NINTENDO's latest E3.

I'm not one to cry much, oddly. I don't even think there's anything wrong with it, it just doesn't happen, even if I manage to well up it simply doesn't happen.

Toy Story 3 is one of them exceptions, I guess. Shed a couple of tears.

That, and the ending to Digimon Tamers (read: the 3rd series) made me cry, back when I was younger (I mean, really, of all things. It was pretty well done, but still)

I'm not one to cry much, oddly. I don't even think there's anything wrong with it, it just doesn't happen, even if I manage to well up it simply doesn't happen.

Toy Story 3 is one of them exceptions, I guess. Shed a couple of tears.

That, and the ending to Digimon Tamers (read: the 3rd series) made me cry, back when I was younger (I mean, really, of all things. It was pretty well done, but still)

Toy Story 3 was a great film but UP! is probably the one that tugs at my heart strings the most :p

Oh man, that reminds me, how could I forget...

Final Fantasy endings can be pretty emotional. FF8 in particular has a really nice ending which makes you sad it's over. FF10 is actually quite a tearjerker given the person who disappears at the end. Depressing shit that was.

I'm not very emotional, but I'll say Peter Jackson's King Kong. The idea that they'd taken this animal out of its environment, only to end up killing it, brought a tear to my eye. Just one though. ;)

I was reading through this thread thinking - nope, nope, nope, nope - and wondering whether i was some sort of emotional robot who didn't cry at anything.

Then i got to Pikachu's Goodbye. Yep. Ruined me.

Getting the Couple's Mask in Majora's Mask.

Darmani surrounded by his friends when alive in his flashback, and the deku servant who lost his son, the one you see petrified before entering clock town. Such a sad and wonderful game.

I'm really easily manipulated into crying and tear up as soon as I see something that's even remotely touching. Even if it's the end of a movie I haven't watched or a TV show I hate. Oh, Man and Woman. You just seem so happy together. I'm sure you've faced a lot of hardships. Sob.gif

I ask this because I cried over a game the other day...

Dazz, you really need to mention what game you're spoiling outside the spoiler box. Right now, people have no way of knowing if it's safe to click on or not. :p

I'm ashamed to admit it (but keep in mind I was about 7 or 8 at the time) I cried at the end of Mario 64 :p

It was the first game I played from start to finish and I loved every second, when this music came on and panned over all of the levels, holy shit, I couldn't believe it had ended. No game has matched it (in my mind) since.

The end credits of Mario 64 are POWERFUL STUFF, dude. So many memories conjured by a single tinny piece of music. Don't be ashamed to admit something moved you, the emotional response just shows how great a game it was.

Dazz, you really need to mention what game you're spoiling outside the spoiler box. Right now, people have no way of knowing if it's safe to click on or not. :p

I clicked and started reading, identified a few key words and FREAKED THE HELL OUT before closing the entire browser window and shutting down my computer. The spoiler doesn't really spoil anything as it was kind of inevitable, but people clicking that expecting "WHEN LINK PULLED OUT DA MASTA SORD" will have a heart attack when it drops an s-bomb on a very recent point and click masterpiece.

----

An anime that frequently moves me close to tears is Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann. For such a wacky over-the-top show, there are some incredibly heart-wrenching moments.

Edited by Guy

Prison Break

Very very often in The Killing.

I was in fucking agony at Dancer In The Dark, jesus that thing destroyed me.

@Magnus: But if I mentioned that game in the title, they'll know it didn't end well! :(

Okay, I found a way :p

All of the stuff I've found emotional is rather old, so I wont spoiler tag them

Books:

1984. "He died loving Big Brother", a line that I've probably quoted wrong but shook me pretty damn deep when I read it. I was supposed to read the whole thing for English back in secondary school but never bothered, but when I started realising I should actually read some books for once, 1984 was my first choice. Was astounded by the ignorance of my younger self, and astounded by the similarities to the world today until I started reading the more relevant Brave New World.

Games:

Eternal Sonata. I played through this during a time where I was dead certain that I needed to escape the "reality" I lived in because none of it seemed real. A time where I couldn't see beyond a single day, constantly looking back on the people who I knew that had died and wondered why the fuck I'm still here while more deserving people never got the chance. The latter parts of the game where Chopan starts crumbling under his own psychological stress, denying the reality he was in despite the what the people who he had become friends with over his journeys had to say about the reality they lived in. It was really loose to my own situation, but it made me incredibly weak to the point that I didn't want to complete the game because it was just reminding me of myself denying the reality I was in.

Shows:

The big one, and it's a fucking cheesy one. I've got to thank Guy for introducing this to me all those years ago, because this show is more than an anime to me.

The last episode of this series takes place within the main characters head, trying to comprehend himself. At first, I understood nothing about it. But after a while, and the part that still gets me is at 2:03 onwards. I've never been a fan of myself, I've always thought about how much I would give just to be some one else, purely because of the hatred for my own characteristics.

"僕はぼくが嫌いだ

でも、好きになれるかもしれない"

I hate myself.

But, maybe I can come to like my self

And his perception of his own reality starts to crack like glass as he breaks through his previous beliefs. And this is how I feel I'm slowly becoming. Because of my self hatred, I've always felt uneasy regarding new friends and thinking about whether they truly like me. If you can't like yourself, it's not really possible to comprehend other people liking you. It's still going on, this change in myself. I still want to be some one, any one else, but maybe now that I've found my motivation to continue living, despite how much it hurts beyond belief to have lost people who I still believe could accomplish so much more than I ever could, I'm slowly starting to feel fine with being myself.

Heck, just typing about why it means so much to me makes me feel emotional, as sad as it sounds. But it's the truth, and I'm now near the point where I'm no longer scared to elaborate.

Edited by Debug Mode

There's a Japanese movie called Kikujiro no Natsu that will rip your fucking heart out. It is one of the warmest movies I have ever seen, but god damn does it know how to play the sad card.

Highly recommended!

Oh yeah, call me worthless but the finale of Lost was also remarkably upsetting despite the flaws. I think the music did it for me more than anything. Jack's line and then bam, it all hits at once.

One particular episode of X-Files season 7 also floored me. It resolved a massive ongoing storyline that had been going since the first episode and, even if a little unconventional as a resolution, it was beautiful and powerful and probably one of the last truly strong moments of the entire series.

Ohmy...!

Films:

Marley and Me. I'd just lost one of my dogs and stupidly decided to watch this, bawled my eyes out.

UP. It doesn't need any explaination.

LOTR. Return of the king, at the end, this was the same for the books!

Books:

Not really, I was incredibly sad when HP finished, but it was my whole childhood/teens!

Games:

End of walking dead. I have to admit I got teary, sad times!

I don't regularly get too teary, films are mostly the worst, books sometimes make me feel sad, but I feel sad for finishing them, after becoming so invested.

Ughh, yep Marley and Me got me big time.. similar sort of reason.

I refuse to watch Up. I know a few very small details of it, and I know for certain that I will bawl my eyes out like a girl scout.

When I was younger I used to cry over everything. Troy, Pokemon Movie, etc. But now it's a very rare occurrence. I like crying, it's feels new when it happens. I sought sad movies for a while to get me crying. I found out that I needed scenes of people crying about something for a while for me to be able to induce it. I have to try though. I did find some recent things that had that, 50/50, My Sister's Keeper, Prayers for Bobby and the end of the 4th season of House.

All of the stuff I've found emotional is rather old, so I wont spoiler tag them

Books:

1984. "He died loving Big Brother", a line that I've probably quoted wrong but shook me pretty damn deep when I read it. I was supposed to read the whole thing for English back in secondary school but never bothered, but when I started realising I should actually read some books for once, 1984 was my first choice. Was astounded by the ignorance of my younger self, and astounded by the similarities to the world today until I started reading the more relevant Brave New World.

Games:

Eternal Sonata. I played through this during a time where I was dead certain that I needed to escape the "reality" I lived in because none of it seemed real. A time where I couldn't see beyond a single day, constantly looking back on the people who I knew that had died and wondered why the fuck I'm still here while more deserving people never got the chance. The latter parts of the game where Chopan starts crumbling under his own psychological stress, denying the reality he was in despite the what the people who he had become friends with over his journeys had to say about the reality they lived in. It was really loose to my own situation, but it made me incredibly weak to the point that I didn't want to complete the game because it was just reminding me of myself denying the reality I was in.

Shows:

The big one, and it's a fucking cheesy one. I've got to thank Guy for introducing this to me all those years ago, because this show is more than an anime to me.

The last episode of this series takes place within the main characters head, trying to comprehend himself. At first, I understood nothing about it. But after a while, and the part that still gets me is at 2:03 onwards. I've never been a fan of myself, I've always thought about how much I would give just to be some one else, purely because of the hatred for my own characteristics.

"僕はぼくが嫌いだ

でも、好きになれるかもしれない"

I hate myself.

But, maybe I can come to like my self

And his perception of his own reality starts to crack like glass as he breaks through his previous beliefs. And this is how I feel I'm slowly becoming. Because of my self hatred, I've always felt uneasy regarding new friends and thinking about whether they truly like me. If you can't like yourself, it's not really possible to comprehend other people liking you. It's still going on, this change in myself. I still want to be some one, any one else, but maybe now that I've found my motivation to continue living, despite how much it hurts beyond belief to have lost people who I still believe could accomplish so much more than I ever could, I'm slowly starting to feel fine with being myself.

Heck, just typing about why it means so much to me makes me feel emotional, as sad as it sounds. But it's the truth, and I'm now near the point where I'm no longer scared to elaborate.

Congratulations. :)

Cheesy, I know, but I honestly do mean it. :)