NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MoogleViper

Personal Outsourcing

I'm sure we all know who The Onion are. For those that having seen it, The Onion ran this story on outsourcing:

Well it's coming true, somebody has actually outsourced their work.

A US company's star computer programmer reportedly outsourced his job to China so he could spend all day surfing the web.

The man, aged in his 40s and known as 'Bob', watched cat videos on YouTube and browsed Reddit and eBay while paying a company based in Shenyang just a fifth of his six-figure salary to do his job.

The scam came to light when Operator Verizon were asked to carry out an audit after bosses suspected a security breach on their VPN networks.

They found that the employee had set up a VPN server connection going back months so the China company could log in remotely and carry out the work.

"Central to the investigation was the employee himself, the person whose credentials had been used to initiate and maintain a VPN connection from China," said Verizon's Andrew Valentine.

He added: "Authentication was no problem. He physically FedExed his RSA [security] token to China so that the third-party contractor could log-in under his credentials during the workday. It would appear that he was working an average nine-to-five work day.

"Evidence even suggested he had the same scam going across multiple companies in the area. All told, it looked like he earned several hundred thousand dollars a year, and only had to pay the Chinese consulting firm about $50,000 (£31,270) annually."

A spokesman for Verizon said: "The company's IT personnel were sure that the issue had to do with some kind of zero day malware that was able to initiate VPN connections from Bob's desktop workstation via external proxy and then route that VPN traffic to China, only to be routed back to their concentrator.

"Yes, it is a bit of a convoluted theory, and like most convoluted theories, an incorrect one."

'Bob' no longer works for the US company.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/us-companys-star-computer-programmer-outsources-1537860

What do you guys think? Have any other Onion news stories come true?

My cousin was telling me about this. I think the guy no longer works for the company... because teh company has realised they can now save 4/5ths of the guys salary by cutting out the middle man altogether!

I spent my early years applying my ingenuity to figuring the most efficient way to rip people off. This man is my spirit animal.

Corporations outsource all the time.

Corporations are people (according to some people)

Therefore people should be able to outsource all the time!

Genius, well done him. Hopefully he's made enough to do him for a while, or will crop up elsewhere doing the same thing.

Genius, well done him. Hopefully he's made enough to do him for a while, or will crop up elsewhere doing the same thing.

Apparently he had taken on other jobs and was outsourcing them too.

My guess is he had to vet all the work because I've outsourced stuff in the past and a lot of the time you get your things back with weird language and not quite right.

Regardless, if he wants to do this and manage the progress then he should be allowed to. It's working well for the company.

I read this story on Thought Catalog yesterday, it's the best - ultimate laziness. Cheap Chinese labour ftw!

I've been outsourcing my posts on here to China for years. Seems to be working out so far well.

I've always wanted to do this. Either this, or get a robot version of me to do a job whilst I chill out.

This guy was living the dream.

Heard about this the other day. Kind of love it.

What do you guys think? Have any other Onion news stories come true?

There was one that someone dug up from Jan 2000 which is pretty funny in retrospect

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/11/27/the_onion_internet_parody_area_man_was_just_ahead_of_his_time.html

The story, headlined “Area Man Consults Internet Whenever Possible,” pokes fun at a fictional 36-year-old Columbus-area office worker’s penchant for turning to the Web for information rather than simply making a phone call or looking it up in the newspaper like a normal person. From the story:

"Are you trying to find out what time Angela's Ashes is playing at Crosswoods Marcus Cinema?" Wisniewski asked his wife Pamela, noticing her looking through The Columbus Dispatch's movie listings. "I can log on to theDispatch's web site and check it in a flash."

"Now that my household is hooked up to the Internet, nothing is out of reach," Wisniewski said. "With the click of a mouse, anything we could want to know is available–even stuff that's otherwise only available in print."

"Last week, we had a houseguest who was wondering if there were any Jesuit colleges in Ohio," Wisniewski said. "All I had to do was open up my AOL software, enter my password, point the browser to http://www.yahoo.com, and click on Society & Culture, followed by Religion & Spirituality. From there, I had only to click Faiths & Practices, then Christianity, then Denominations & Sects, and then Catholic. Then I simply clicked on Orders, Jesuits, Colleges & Universities, Ohio, and boom, right there in front of me are Xavier University in Cincinnati and John Carroll University in Cleveland."

I've been outsourcing my posts on here to China for years. Seems to be working out so far well.

But do you know anything about...shoes?

Edited by Rummy

Sign in to follow this